Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #876
Marv
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I think they will throw something at us with a modern team, they seem to really wanna expand on their universe. Not everyone can exist in the past, but yeah I really dont think it will be anything regarding a follow up to the old trilogy and doubt the FC crew will be left in the dust.

Exactly. Both casts are in place and its a follow up on both series.
The truth of the matter is that Singer, Hayter, Kinberg, Penn, Dougherty, Harris, Benioff, Woods, Hood & whoever else contributed to the writing for the first 4 films, wrote themselves into a wall.

Could an X4 have worked instead of Days of Future Past? Sure. But frankly the possibilities after Days of Future Past seem much better:

-Cyclops is alive and can finally lead the team

-Xavier & Magneto are in their 50s instead of their 70s (and IMO Fassbender's Magneto is much better than McKellen's)

-Mystique has a voice

-Jean Grey & Storm are younger & can be put to much better use

-Wolverine can still join the X-Men, same goes for Gambit.

-Sabertooth doesn't have to turn into a mindless thug

Bottom line: the roster & rogues gallery is much better with the timeline being rebooted in Days of Future Past.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #877
def28
Side-Kick

With the exception of FC Raven I agree 100%

How they try to fix all that and move ahead is another reason Im looking forward to DOFP. I still think they are gonna drop modern X Men stuff be it X Force or a new X Men team going by how they have been talking about the franchise. But as far as how all that comes into play I have no idea.

Last edited by def28; 02-06-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #878
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
The truth of the matter is that Singer, Hayter, Kinberg, Penn, Dougherty, Harris, Benioff, Woods, Hood & whoever else contributed to the writing for the first 4 films, wrote themselves into a wall.

Could an X4 have worked instead of Days of Future Past? Sure. But frankly the possibilities after Days of Future Past seem much better:

-Cyclops is alive and can finally lead the team
-Xavier & Magneto are in their 50s instead of their 70s (and IMO Fassbender's Magneto is much better than McKellen's)
-Mystique has a voice
-Jean Grey & Storm are younger & can be put to much better use
-Wolverine can still join the X-Men, same goes for Gambit.
-Sabertooth doesn't have to turn into a mindless thug

Bottom line: the roster & rogues gallery is much better with the timeline being rebooted in Days of Future Past.
Go ahead with that idea and you would just confuse casual viewers with this reset thing.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #879
Marv
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Go ahead with that idea and you would just confuse casual viewers with this reset thing.
That's the idea though. Singer is pulling an Abrams Star Trek on the franchise.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #880
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Yeah, people are being thrown off by the involvement of the old cast in this. This is still very much a sequel to First Class. The second chapter of the McAvoy/Fassbender series. A follow up would most definitely be the third film in that series & not a sequel with the old cast in an alternate reality.

This is the closest we're getting to an X4 in that we get to see what happened to the cast of X3.
And this might also be the fourth chapter of the original series. The follow-up to this film could be another film with the original cast and not a sequel with the new cast introducing the younger version of Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey.

If we didn't predict that they would feature the cast of the original trilogy in the follow-up movie to First Class. Whats to say that the follow-up to DOFP will not feature the cast of the original cast again?

Quote:
That's the idea though. Singer is pulling an Abrams Star Trek on the franchise.
Well, thats not yet confirmed.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #881
Marv
Banned User

Quote:
With the exception of FC Raven I agree 100%
Not a fan of Lawrence's Mystique?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #882
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I like Mystique and Lawrence but they took that character too off track for my taste. I dig her Mysterious and lethal. Felt you knew everything about her in her first scene, which kinda defats the purpose of the character regardless if its an origin. Her end arc also felt rushed and didnt make sense given her relationship to Xavier and how shes timid with violence. Kind of a lazy and forced transition imo.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #883
Marv
Banned User

Quote:
And this might also be the fourth chapter of the original series. The follow-up to this film could be another film with the original cast and not a sequel with the new cast introducing the younger version of Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey.

If we didn't predict that they would feature the cast of the original trilogy in the follow-up movie to First Class. Whats to say that the follow-up to DOFP will not feature the cast of the original cast again?
I knew the moment they announced the film would be based on Days of Future Past that the old cast would have to be brought back. None of the casting announcements have shocked me. I've read the comic.

Now, what suggests the follow up to Days of Future Past won't feature the old cast? Days of Future Past.

Picture Back to The Future Part II. Now imagine the sequel to that movie wasn't about Marty's trip to the old west but rather a film set in Biff world where Marty is still living in Biff's hotel & his Mom has huge tits.

Example 2: Imagine instead of Star Trek into Darkness, we were getting Star Trek VII starring a bloated priceline negotiator & Leonard Nimoy.

Example 3: Picture a sequel to The Terminator (1984) where Kyle Reese never shows up to save Sarah Connor so the world goes to **** & no resistance is led.

In summary, why would anyone wanna see those movies when you can watch T2, Back to The Future Part III & Star Trek into Darkness?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #884
Marv
Banned User

Quote:
I like Mystique and Lawrence but they took that character too off track for my taste. I dig her Mysterious and lethal. Felt you knew everything about her in her first scene, which kinda defats the purpose of the character regardless if its an origin. Her end arc also felt rushed and didnt make sense given her relationship to Xavier and how shes timid with violence. Kind of a lazy and forced transition imo.
I saw it as she chose the man who could free her from shame over the man who couldn't. Hopefully in the decade between First Class & Days of Future Past she picks up her lethal nature & surrenders to an extremist nature.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #885
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I saw it as she chose the man who could free her from shame over the man who couldn't. Hopefully in the decade between First Class & Days of Future Past she picks up her lethal nature & surrenders to an extremist nature.
Yeah, that intentions definitely there. It just wasnt enough to convince me she would leave Xavier like that or join with someone who would nuke a fleet and bring in forces who were responsible for killing all those people and fighting her friends. That was never in this Ravens nature through the film. She cries during violence and attacks, so kinda tough to buy she would want to be part of a group that supports that kind of action and be willing to hurt the people shes closest to. She should have had some slightly more violent hints towards humans if they wanted her to be there. Overall just too out of character for Raven as a whole imo. Definitely looking forward to see where they take her next though.

Last edited by def28; 02-06-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #886
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I knew the moment they announced the film would be based on Days of Future Past that the old cast would have to be brought back. None of the casting announcements have shocked me. I've read the comic.
But did you also know that DOFP is going to be the follow-up for First Class when First Class was released in June 2011 and there was no reports of DOFP being the sequel to First Class? No right.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #887
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

If Bryan & Fox have brought back the original cast is because they want to continue with them.The original actors are much more beloveds than the new ones, that's for sure.

Many fans want back to Marsden, Halle Berry and Famke Janssen.If you put all teen actors and new many people lose attention to the movie.

And J.Lawrence be good actress but Rebecca is infinitely better Mistyque.Rebecca is perfect as Mystique, J.Lawrence not.Sorry for their fans.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #888
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
And J.Lawrence be good actress but Rebecca is infinitely better Mistyque.Rebecca is perfect as Mystique, J.Lawrence not.Sorry for their fans.
Yeah, Mystique in X2 was awesome. Was just watching that again, and I liked pretty much everything they did with her there. Rebecca did an awesome job.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #889
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
I saw it as she chose the man who could free her from shame over the man who couldn't.
It has nothing to do with shame. Charles was never ashamed of Raven or her true form (although he was obviously disturbed when he saw her naked, because, well, she was his little sister).

Charles just wanted to protect her so Raven wouldn't end up on a freak show, or dead. And that she left the man who saved her from the streets like she never cared one bit about him or the state he was in was awful and completely OCC. It was so bad that probably Singer believes that a 10-year gap will make people forget that they were supposed to care for each other, so maybe in 73 Mystique is allowed to fight Charles, or worse.

Quote:
They screwed him over with Shame but won't be able to next year.
Well, they can. James was screwed for both Atonement (best actor) and The Last King of Scotland (best supporting) so it isn't like the Academy was only unfair to Fassbender. Even Ben Affleck wasn't nominated this year, and he's winning all the awards everywhere.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 02-06-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #890
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Double post

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #891
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I'd like to see the entire roster from the original cast back, unless they have good explanations of their absence. Storm getting a death off screen for the future would be lame, so I think Halle Berry needs to come back for at least a cameo. Ben Foster would be good but he's another pricey actor and can be written out pretty easily.

I think if they make a third movie, which they should, it should be in the 80's with a young Scott and Jean returning in the alternate timeline. You could showcase the first scene in the Last Stand, setting up a true Pheonix adaptation somewhere between X-4 to X-6. Right now, just focus on this trilogy and don't get ahead of yourself.

I think a good ending for the movie (or third movie) would be a seasoned Marsden, Famke, and Halle showing up with their kids, along with Xavier, foreshadowing that the timeline had been altered and they went on to live long, prosperous lives.

Last edited by Mr.M; 02-06-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #892
Marv
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
If Bryan & Fox have brought back the original cast is because they want to continue with them.The original actors are much more beloveds than the new ones, that's for sure.

Many fans want back to Marsden, Halle Berry and Famke Janssen.If you put all teen actors and new many people lose attention to the movie.

Singer & the studio brought back the old cast because they play an integral part of the story.

And the new cast doesn't consist of a bunch of "teen actors". It consists of two of the best working actors right now (Fassbender & McAvoy) and a two-time Academy Award Nominee (Lawrence).

Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #893
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Offscreen deaths for any character are just completely pointless. (edit: to Mr.M)

Last edited by Iceman; 02-06-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #894
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Offscreen deaths for any character are just completely pointless. (edit to Mr M)
For main characters, perhaps. But for others, and for those actors opting not to return, it may be an option. Such as for Kelsey's Beast, for example. He could be a name on a tombstone or on that iconic comic book cover with a poster of who's slain or apprehended.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #895
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
For main characters, perhaps. But for others, and for those actors opting not to return, it may be an option. Such as for Kelsey's Beast, for example. He could be a name on a tombstone or on that iconic comic book cover with a poster of who's slain or apprehended.
definetly. Singer should show the name of the most known x-men that dont return on tombstones. Thats a powerfull moment on the storyarc. If he misses it, it would be a bad decision.

Would love to see Kitty or Rogue taking a look at the name of all her old mates. Its too good of a concept to miss it.

Last edited by Angamb; 02-06-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #896
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Oh I mean it's ok for the DOFP storyline (any time travel stories really) where it helps the story and is the only way of doing it but I'm more referring to Cyclops X3 type deaths with characters set in the present. If the character (even a minor character) is worthy of having their death mentioned at all then something should be done onscreen to get whatever emotion is possible from the situation. If an actor is unavailable then of course it would be forced in that instance and they wouldn't have a choice but to take an inferior course of action.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #897
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well the box-office performance of First Class was definitely not overwhelming to begin with. Even if all of the FC actors won an Academy Award next year but if they cannot manage to outgross the other X-Men movies, I don't think FOX would be satisfied with that and it doesn't look good for the franchise. If this movie is just a straight-up sequel to First Class, without the cast of original trilogy, this movie wouldn't even have this kind of buzz right now.
In 2011 XMFC was a total unknown that had to come off of back to back poor movies in this series. That isn't the case anymore. FC was a success and its lead actors are now amongst the hottest of the hot in Hollywood. A straight up FC sequel would have generated enough buzz on its own and it would have been a very highly anticipated film for 2014. Obviously when you combine casts there's going to be greater buzz.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #898
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
I'm a fan of Lawrence & a fan of Mystique but not a fan of Lawrence's Mystique (so far). Kind of like Ryan Reynolds & Green Lantern. Hopefully that changes with DOFP.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #899
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

DOFP will change your thoughts about RR as GL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #900
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I'm a fan of Lawrence & a fan of Mystique but not a fan of Lawrence's Mystique (so far). Kind of like Ryan Reynolds & Green Lantern. Hopefully that changes with DOFP.

Closed Thread