The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #126
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Default Re: Morrison's Multiversity

Thanks for posting this.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #127
NDX
Jiggle Jiggle Bounce!

I honestly had no interest in this story until I read the descriptions of each world. Now that those have been revealed, makes me want to read this. Shame the wait will be so long (but seeing when this thread started, not as long as others). But I think it will be worth it.

Plus that Quietly sample page, hot damn that look great.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #128
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

It does look interesting.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #129
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From Newsarama:
Morrison Closes Out ACTION COMICS Run, Teases MULTIVERSITY

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #130
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From CV:
Interview: Grant Morrison on ACTION COMICS, MULTIVERSITY & the Death of Superman

Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #131
Gabe99
Side-Kick

First look: Grant Morrison's 'Wonder Woman: Earth One' and 'Multiversity' comic books

Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #132
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I wasn't interested in Multiversity, but the main DC universe sucks so much now that an escape to other realities sounds fun. I always planned to pick up Wonder Woman: Earth One. First of the Earth One comics I'm actually interested in.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #133
NDX
Jiggle Jiggle Bounce!

I enjoyed Superman: Earth One, but not enough to read volume 2. Batman was okay, too, but nothing special.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #134
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Morrison + Paquette = my first Earth One purchase.

At the pace Multiversity's going, my grandkids will get to read issue 1.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #135
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Grant Morrison Talks ďMultiversity,Ē ďWonder Woman: Earth OneĒ
DCís favorite creator spoke with Crave Online about his magnum opus project for the DC Multiverse.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #136
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe99 View Post
Grant Morrison Talks ďMultiversity,Ē ďWonder Woman: Earth OneĒ
DCís favorite creator spoke with Crave Online about his magnum opus project for the DC Multiverse.
Now this sounds epic. Hurry up, Morrison!

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #137
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

I want that Wonder Woman book now!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #138
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

I need Multiversity now!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #139
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Grant Morrison Talks DC Comics, Being a Rock Star in the Comics World, and His Take on Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Multiversity

Quote:
On Multiversity:

This new book is something that Iíve been working on for quite awhile. Itís nine issues that are 40 pages each. The first one and the last one comprise an 80-page, giant DC super-spectacular story. There are seven comics, each of which come from a different parallel universe, all with a different storytelling approach and artistic look. Each one is drawn by a different artist, but each of them combine. DC Comics has always had this idea of the multi-verse, where there are multiple parallel universes that all occupy the same space, but vibrate at different frequencies. Itís that idea of comic book universes as music. Thatís what the vibration is. And when you hear them all vibrating together, it makes the most beautiful music youíve ever heard, and you can choose what you want that music to be. So, weíre exploring that concept with this book.

They established that, in each of the worlds of the DC multi-verse, they read comic books about the other worlds. In one world, a fictional character can be a real person. So, we chose to make that the basis of this story. Basically, each of the worlds can read the comic book that we just read, the month before, and theyíre all facing a gigantic cosmic threat, which is the most terrifying thing that anybodyís ever read in a comic. I donít do hyperbole, so this is the one. Each of the worlds all connect, and they pass on a message to the next world, that something terrible is happening and something is bringing down the structure of the multi-verse.

The first of the seven books is a kind of Justice League of the multi-verse and how they come together. It features the black Superman that we had in Action Comics #9, Calvin Ellis. Heís the main character in that one. The second one is a pulp universe thatís the 1940′s characters that fit the pulp archetype. Itís set in a world where thereís only two billion people. Itís 2013, but they just had a major world war, and out of that comes a particular set of circumstances. The next one is set on Earth 11. There was this concept of the super-sons, where Superman and Batman had a couple of sons that were real mean bastards when they grew up. They just werenít happy about the legacy their fathers had left them. So, the next one is about this world of the children of superheroes and what happens after youíve turned the world into utopia, so thereís nothing for you to do, but you can punch out mountains. We chose to do it in the style of The Hills, with these really super bland conversations. We wanted something as shallow, flat and on the surface, but with superheroes and the kind of conversations that superheroes would have. Youíll see a lot of the Ď90s characters who have been consigned to the dust bins. Theyíve got nothing to do, so they perform battle re-enactments. Thatís another book, which I canít really describe the ambiance of.

Then, we took the storytelling devices of Watchmen and applied them to the Charlton characters that Watchmen was originally inspired by. Instead of Watchmenís nine-panel grid, we have an eight-panel grid that reflects the musical harmonics that underpin the whole series. Itís based on the number eight, which becomes really important through everything. In 40 pages, weíve done this thing that is probably the best thing weíve ever done in superhero comics. After that is a great take on the Captain Marvel stuff, and itís done as an all-ages book. It has a completely different tone, and itís a really neat little story thatís self-contained.

After that are the Nazi superheroes thatís set on what used to be Earth X, but itís not Earth 10. The idea behind it is that the Nazis won World War II and took over the world. Itís like, what if the classic DC world has been played with and Hitler got ahold of the super-baby, and the world emerges from that. We didnít want to do something dull. This one was meant to feel like a big Shakespeare-style HBO series. Imagine if you were Superman and for the first 25 years of your life you were working for Hitler, and then you go, ďOh, my god, itís Hitler! ****, now I get it! Now I see who the baddie is!Ē And he cleans up and creates a utopia, but that utopia is based on the Nazi principles that he was indoctrinated with. Everything is wrong, overblown and ready for destruction in this culture, and Superman knows it. He knows that his entire society, even though it looks like utopian, has been built on the bones of the dead and ultimately is wrong and must be destroyed. To that comes the Freedom Fighter characters led by Uncle Sam, who is the last remnant of the America that was conquered in 1956. Heís gathered all the people that Hitler killed. Weíve recast all the Freedom Fighter characters as Hitlerís enemies. Itís all the people who Hitler persecuted, and itís the return of the oppressed. Itís a big Game of Thrones, hardcore story about what happens when your entire society is under threat from terrorists who actually embody the good. Worse than that, your leader, Superman, knows that theyíre right and that itís time for this society to die.

Following that, the seventh issue of the book is called Ultra Comics. Itís the one thatís set in this world, where we actually use this technology that will blow your mind. Youíve never had this experience before with a comic book. Thatís all that Iím going to say. Itís something you have never seen before, and itís an actual superhero that weíre going to make, in front of you. In the midst of all of that, thereís a guidebook where weíre going to show you how the multi-verse works, and it will have a narrative element through it as well. And then, it ends with a bookend that completes the story that we started off in #1, and it unites all the strands of the narrative together. This is my magnum opus. This is why I love comics.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #140
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

"Justice League of the Multiverse" sounds pretty awesome. Also, I like that he conceived it as a tour of seven alternate realities with two framing issues as bookends. That's a narrative structure that gets used a lot in comics, but it works really well.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #141
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Cameron Stewart dropped a little Captain Marvel/Shazam tease for Multiversity today.

Is it ever gonna come out guys? Not to mention Wonder Woman.

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #142
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Have faith. When the time has come, it will come out. I fear the universe is not ready yet for multiversity.

Some men just want to watch the DCCU burn.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 AM   #143
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I'll be a senior citizen before this **** actually hits the shelves.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #144
NDX
Jiggle Jiggle Bounce!

I completely forgot about this.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #145
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Cameron Stewart dropped a little Captain Marvel/Shazam tease for Multiversity today.

Is it ever gonna come out guys? Not to mention Wonder Woman.
I know! Both are my most anticipated DC books. And they still have yet to show up solicits. Hopefully this year. But I feel like I've been hoping that for years now.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #146
geetard
The Amazon Smile

It's finally here! Coming this August!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52143

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #147
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Not to sound ungrateful, but....

****ing finally.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #148
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Holy ****! I-- I don't even know if I want it anymore. Waiting for it was what was keeping me in comics.

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #149
ares834
Side-Kick

Holy s***! Finally! Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 AM   #150
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

This summer will be glorious. Ivan Reis is killing it. I love how the giant robot looks like those from the fleischer's cartoon.

Some men just want to watch the DCCU burn.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote