The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #876
kit1982
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 2

I'm shocked Djokovic just seems to have found another level to his play..... his last level wasn't half ****ing bad!

I take a crumb of comfort that old Muzza was back to his shouty, injured when losing a point, fine when winning self was on show today. Although I will say the guys got A class talent, has been nothing less than a beast recently and will add to his slam collection this year.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #877
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
That Li Na has some sexy legs.
For a dude!

Sorry but, that's one of the most manly looking women I've seen.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #878
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
I'm shocked Djokovic just seems to have found another level to his play..... his last level wasn't half ****ing bad!
Yeah, pretty hard to beat a guy who ends up laying down during a rally and STILL WINS THE F***ING POINT!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #879
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I love that during Murray's runner up speech he thanked his team, and ESPN went to a close up of Kim Sears. Not Ivan Lendl, but Murray's smoking hot lady friend. I wouldn't pan to Ivan either, not after Murray hit one winner over the last two sets.

Give Djoker credit for not ripping his shirt off or even falling to the court. It's always acceptable to fall down in relief when the two week gauntlet has ended in success but he refrained. It would have also been acceptable for him to rip that hideous Uniqlo shirt off. I have no idea what the K-Mart of Japan is trying to do with the World's No. 1 but it's... not... right.

On the topic of health and beauty, I need Christopher Lloyd to roll into Murray's driveway and exclaim, "It's your hair, Murray! Something's gotta be done about your hair!"

Old 01-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #880
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
For a dude!

Make up takes away a lot of the harshness of her face. See her at any gala. I'll also say that Nike did a good job making her cover up that ugly chest tattoo in forcing into polo shirts.

It's okay for me to objectify women, because I also objectify the men.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #881
Nightwing 52
Things change

Just an amazing two weeks and the last remaining four gave two great finals. Novak lived up to what it means to be the best in the world. The guy is not only an incredible player - but athlete as well. It doesn't matter what the score is or how much he's down. He steps up each and everytime when he knows he has to. He sees the game like how Neo sees The Matrix. His level of play at this AO increased by great margins and what's scary is that it continues to. He really is the total package.

Both he and Murray will have a great season this year. I'd definitely like to see more finals between them and of course hope he wins more. Novak is now tied with the likes of Becker and Edberg.

The rivalry of Vika/Li is one of the good ones going on in the women's side. I noted on twitter as Li was about to take the first set that mostly everytime they've played Li takes the first only for Vika to bounce back to win the second and the match. And sure enough, that's what happend. Even though Li took those bad falls. But I loved how Vika hung in there and after all that "MTO" stuff she rose above the negativity toward her. She needed the win.

Those tears she had were not only tears of joy - but some of what she kept bottled inside heading into the match after what happend in the semi and the press hammering her. All of this will help her to continue to evolve as a player. Her presser after the win was solid.
Quote:
Yeah, pretty hard to beat a guy who ends up laying down during a rally and STILL WINS THE F***ING POINT!
Yeah that was sick.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #882
Frico
Live by the creed

The final with Novak and Andy was awesome. So many great rallies, points AND shots. I would've liked to see them go 5 sets but in the end the right guy won. Novak just looks unbeatable and I'd REALLY like to see him complete the career grand slam or win Wimbledon again. Depends of course on Rafa and Federer.

I respect Murray as a player (he does have his moments), but I can't stand how he's always looking at his box and whining/cussing at them like he's 12 in freakin' juniors. You want to be number 1? Act like it.

GO NOLE!

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #883
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
For a dude!

I was talking about her legs man, I don't think she's super attractive, but she's got a great personality which is in contrast to Azarenka who comes off as an ice queen.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #884
Nightwing 52
Things change

Yeah, I've always enjoyed Li's personality. She's always in good spirits win or lose which can be rare in a player. Not to mention her attempts at jokes are always priceless and she never fails to get a laugh out of the crowd or journalists. She's won over a lot of fans and the fact that she could smile and laugh off her second bad fall said a lot. Not only as a player but as a person. This is truly someone who loves being out there.

Hope she has a good 2013. She's shown at 30 she's not going anywhere and she's hitting the ball a lot better.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #885
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post
The final with Novak and Andy was awesome. So many great rallies, points AND shots. I would've liked to see them go 5 sets but in the end the right guy won. Novak just looks unbeatable and I'd REALLY like to see him complete the career grand slam or win Wimbledon again. Depends of course on Rafa and Federer.

I respect Murray as a player (he does have his moments), but I can't stand how he's always looking at his box and whining/cussing at them like he's 12 in freakin' juniors. You want to be number 1? Act like it.

GO NOLE!
And Djokovic never looks at his box? Or yells at them and himself?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #886
Frico
Live by the creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
And Djokovic never looks at his box? Or yells at them and himself?
But Murray does it more than any other player, literally. Every match, every tourney! Hell, even during the changeover. All the "s***s" and "f***s" or "Why am I missing that ****ing ball?!"...etc. The commentators always have to apologize when the camera catches him. Once or twice I get it. But this is something people almost know him for and it's annoying. There's even youtube vids. lol

I remember when he told his box to shut up too. Yes some players cuss/look at their box but again, he does it a lot more and for years now. TBH I don't like it when any player looks to their box to begin with. Tennis is one on one, they can't help you. Federer, Bjorg, Sampras and most of the other greats never did that.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #887
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love that during Murray's runner up speech he thanked his team, and ESPN went to a close up of Kim Sears. Not Ivan Lendl, but Murray's smoking hot lady friend. I wouldn't pan to Ivan either, not after Murray hit one winner over the last two sets.

Give Djoker credit for not ripping his shirt off or even falling to the court. It's always acceptable to fall down in relief when the two week gauntlet has ended in success but he refrained. It would have also been acceptable for him to rip that hideous Uniqlo shirt off. I have no idea what the K-Mart of Japan is trying to do with the World's No. 1 but it's... not... right.

On the topic of health and beauty, I need Christopher Lloyd to roll into Murray's driveway and exclaim, "It's your hair, Murray! Something's gotta be done about your hair!"

Haha I know we spoke about this very subject last year, but it didn't dawn on me just how bad it looked till he was stood next to Murray (not exactly the slickest guy on tour) and he looked a mess. Murrays there in his fitted Adidas top showing off his guns whilst Doker was stood in a cheap looking almost baggy polo shirt he bought off the rack!

Also in a Murray vs Doker match neither guy is going to win points for hairstyles, the microphone vs the balding mop!

I have to admit I don't mind players shouting after a mis****, or ripping off their shirts after a win, my biggest pet peeve? David Ferrer's walk, it's like he's shat himself!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #888
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Exactly. Murray's the guy that isn't trying to look good. He's going to wear something form-fitting and comfortable. That's a reflection of his personality which is good for his fashion. It can be ugly, but Murray's a businessman. I remember when Adidas went through that short lived phase where they put all of their players in the same top, a top that they were really trying to push, and their highest ranked man Murray comes out in his plain $30 v-neck.

Djokovic, on the hand, obviously does care about his kit. He wants to look good, he goes to fashion shows, and he's even walked the runway. So why does he look like crap at every event? Why doesn't this guy have a signature look. (Yes, we've already discussed how Sergio Tacchini already gave him one but they don't have any money.)

So I saw this quote from the guy designing Djokovic's gear at Uniqlo, and, just look,

Quote:
Naoki Takizawa, UNIQLO Creative Director, has been personally involved in designing all tennis apparel for Mr. Djokovic, starting with the 2012 French Open. “My inspiration for the very first designs came from Novak Djokovic himself and his country of origin, Serbia. In fact, it was the national flag of Serbia that actually inspired me when I started to think about the color and the design of his match wear,” said Naoki Takizawa. “I was inspired by the shapes of the wings of the eagles that are on the flag, and with this in mind I began to draw lines along the sides of his performance wear. In my mind, the design needed to be simple, so that it didn’t interfere with his very precise playing style. At the same time the design needed to look strong.”
Wow, that sounds awesome. He was inspired by eagle wings on the Serbian flag? Holy crap, they're just going to pick up where Tacchini left off. I can't wait to see this kit, it'll be out of this world!

Wait, what? That's it! All of that dramatic description and we get a cheap-looking, cotton type fabric, creamy white zip up polo with a couple of wavy lines and Uniqlo's blocky logo plastered all about it. Nike can throw their swoosh all over their players because their logo is simple and manages to incorporate itself nicely into an ensemble. That's the beauty of the swoosh, it appears to be in motion with the athlete. Uniqlo's logo is a big red square that says Uniqlo. It doesn't flow with the player. It's static and ugly!

Last edited by Sakuraba; 01-29-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #889
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Rawr! I used to look good! Even when my shirts were over zealous they still said "Eff you" and I wore it with swagger.

Ah man, going to Melbourne, my favorite tournament used to be so much fun. I know Sergio Tacchini would create a unique design for my unique playing style. He always managed to capture the essence of my game and personality. Plus it didn't appear to be made from a polyester/rayon blend. My outfits used to create buzz and fans wanted to buy my gear. In fact, most of my coaches STILL wear the Tacchini logo.

Now I look like a dork.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #890
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
So I saw this quote from the guy designing Djokovic's gear at Uniqlo, and, just look,

Wow, that sounds awesome. He was inspired by eagle wings on the Serbian flag? Holy crap, they're just going to pick up where Tacchini left off. I can't wait to see this kit, it'll be out of this world!

Wait, what? That's it! All of that dramatic description and we get a cheap-looking, cotton type fabric, creamy white zip up polo with a couple of wavy lines and Uniqlo's blocky logo plastered all about it. Nike can throw their swoosh all over their players because their logo is simple and manages to incorporate itself nicely into an ensemble. That's the beauty of the swoosh, it appears to be in motion with the athlete. Uniqlo's logo is a big red square that says Uniqlo. It doesn't flow with the player. It's static and ugly!
Ok, this made me laugh

Have we seen a bigger risk taker when it comes to looks in men's tennis than Andre Agassi? man, he was fun to watch not only because of his game, but i also loved his look. Long haired or bald, he always made it interesting.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #891
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Agassi was out there, but when he came back with the late career renaissance he gave up the fashion forward mantle. He was a pretty boring dresser when he cleaned up. Most guys are when they get older, even the immaculately tailored Federer can't seem to get out of the Blue-Red-Black cycle. That's why I was glad to see him in hot pink down under.

I remember when Agassi switched to Adidas during his final year and some people thought the older, bolder color patterns would return. Unfortunately, Adidas hasn't dressed anyone well since, uh, Marat Safin? I don't know, but Murray hasn't had one kit worthy of tournament play. He wears boring practice outfits or horribly mismatched abominations.

Oh yeah, Nadal won his comeback match today.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #892
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

You've got to give it up to Nadal's team. Bringing him back for the South American clay swing was GENIUS. Realistically, he wasn't going to win the Australian Open or any event populated with the upper Tour talents. He's not up for that, physically or mentally. We saw the sad shape he was in after missing only a few months back in 2009. He was pretty terrible up until the 2010 clay season. Then the confidence came back and he ran off three straight Slams and made his first WTF finals to close out his season.

So he's going to win some tourneys, earn some ranking points, find his game, build his confidence against journeymen, and he'll be ready for the wars looming in Monte Carlo, Rome, Madrid, and Roland Garros. It's just a matter of whether he plays the hardcourts of Indian Wells and/or Miami.

I think I'd sit out both. There's no glory to be earned there by risking further damage to his knees right before the real clay season. His knee will not be the same and maybe can never be pain free unless he rolls the dice on surgery. So I say stay off the asphault until Toronto. Get through Roland Garros before you grind with Djokovic or Murray on the pavement.

So, thumbs up so far on Nadal's return. It looks like a brilliant plan, but we'll have to see how they handle the American spring Masters 2fer. I say skip it and met Djokovic in Monte Carlo.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #893
Frico
Live by the creed

WOW! What a great final and true battle of leftys. Zeballos fought well against the king of clay and what a way to win your first title. Good for him. This was a good return for Rafa as well. Not the result he may of wanted but FULL credit to Zeballos. Took it to him.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #894
Bim
Side-Kick

That was a good start for Rafa. I do think it's going to take him a while to get his legs back, but that final was a great test. Zeballos was solid, that must have been a great moment for him.

Rafa's off to Brazil next: http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/nada...162002053.html

Nadal tired but vows his best at Brazil Open

Rafael Nadal said Tuesday that he felt a bit tired after a hard but positive tournament in Chile but vowed to do his best at this week's Brazil Open.

"I am happy to be here in Brazil for the second time," the 26-year-old Spanish tennis star told a press conference. "My knee is OK...There are days when it hurts, this limits me but I have confidence it will improve."

The 11-time Grand Slam champion, who lost the singles and doubles finals Sunday at his comeback event in Vina del Mar, Chile following a seven-month knee injury absence, is the top seed at the Brazil Open, an event he won in 2005.

"I am a bit tired after a hard week in Chile. But it was positive. The process of recovery follows its course. As always I come here to do the best possible and hope that things turn out all right," Nadal told a press conference.
He said it was impossible for him to change his style of play because of his left knee injury.

"I hope to continue with my style of play and I am confident that my body will respond," he noted.

Asked when he expected to be 100 percent fit, he responded: "I cannot know the future. If my knee allows, I will do everything possible to be at my best."
"I am a player who plays with a lot passion, a lot of energy. I suppose that does not help the knee."

He said his worst moment during his seven-month absence was when he realised he could not compete for Spain and defend his title at the London Olympics.

"My long-term objective is to be in Brazil in 2016 (for the Rio Summer Olympics). I am going to work to arrive in good conditions at what are likely to be my last Olympics," he said.

Considered my many to be the best ever clay-court player, Nadal was back in Chile last week for the first time since a surprise second-round exit at Wimbledon in June.

Since then he has been sidelined by a torn tendon and inflammation in his left knee, with his return this year further delayed by a stomach virus.

Nadal, ranked number five in the world, is helping boost the prestige of the $455,775 Brazil Open, part of the Latin American clay court circuit that also includes Vina del Mar and the Mexico Open in Acapulco in which he will compete later this month.

He will see action here late Tuesday when he teams up in doubles with Argentine David Nalbandian to face the Spanish pair of Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

Nadal, who has claimed seven of his 11 Grand Slam titles on the clay courts of Roland Garros, won the Brazil Open in 2005 when it was held in Costa do Sauipe in eastern Bahia state.

The tournament was moved to Sao Paulo last year when Spaniard Nicolas Almagro won.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #895
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

So Nadal apparently slipped on the clay in San Paulo during his doubles match, then he did what he does best these days: he complained. The Claymudgeon said "his people" would talk to the organizers about it. Imagine that, a level 250 indoor clay event with no money has dirt that's not up to snuff. And the ball isn't yellow enough either, and lines disappear, and wah wah *sniff* wah.

I have some major doubts about Nadal's future off clay, even on it. When his knees or in this case his right knee, is giving him trouble, he doesn't fair well. Whether it's Ferrer at the '07 Open, Soderling, Rosol, he doesn't move as well and it emboldens his opponent. Will us tennis fans not be on pins and needles for Nadal if he has to play a baseline derby with Djokovic? Can Nadal stomach 4 hours of 30 shot rallies?

The pain obviously isn't going away. Despite six months off of it entirely, daily treatment, whatever nutrition program he was on to support joint comfort, he still feels pain in his knee. Let's say he gets through the clay season with his typical wins, based off of his skills on the surface with his super topspin forehand and unparalleled movement on the dirt, and then he gets into the grass and hardcourt season and he flames out again. What if his knee hurts like it did last June? In fact, it will probably hurt worse with the added wear and tear in the joint.

Then what? Does he sit out another eight months? Does he make a brave decision and say "no more hardcourts for me"? Does he opt for surgery and risk never being an elite player ever again?

I ask these questions because the guy's knee still hurts despite all of the recovery time and despite a soft comeback on a surface that suits his movement. Can anything good come from Nadal trying to play the spring hardcourt Masters'? In cannot be in Nadal's interest to play a cold night match at Indian Wells or humidity-laden energy-draining midday Miami three setter.

The answers will come soon enough. I personally don't like what I'm hearing from Nadal about his knee.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #896
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

One quick comment about Federer's upset loss to Benneteau. Federer's serve has become the biggest area of decline for him, followed by his foot speed. I mean, he's still fleet of foot and can turn in defensive masterpieces, especially on grass and even clay, but he doesn't quite zip around and get in position to rip inside out forehands like he did eight years ago.

But man, if his first serve ain't landing in the box, then his second serve has become a liability. Guys are killing it at the moment. He's not positioning it well and trying to put more oomph on the ball and hitting more doubles. Definitely something for Annacone to work with him on.

With the clay season approaching, it's important to remember that it was Federer's serve and defense that he rode to a tremendous French Open finals loss to Nadal. His snapping of Djokovic's seemingly insnappable streak was considerable a real renaissance moment for him. Does he have that in him now?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #897
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Federer did an interview the other day where his arrogance was on full display. Highlights:

-Despite his imminent drop to #3 that appears to be not to far off given Andy Murray's rise and points opportunities in the clay season, Federer's talking about his chances of being #1 again this season. Now keep in mind that Federer has already failed to defend two titles this year and he's playing a reduced schedule this year, but he thinks he can do it if he plays extremely well. Well sure.
-A weird moment where he was weighing which Slam he wants to win the most. How about whichever one you can?

Also, Nadal told reporters in Acapulco that his knee still hurts, but that he's just glad to be competing again. That's not a good sign, and Ferrer is in the draw there.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #898
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

All is right with the world of tennis.

Berdych outlasted Federer in one of their typical nervous wreck of a matches. Then Berdych was unable to offer any resist to a top guy that is willing to make him play a long rally. Federer doesn't have the legs for that anymore, but Djokovic most certainly does.

I didn't see the Nadal/Ferrer final in Acapulco, but the 6-0, 6-2 score line tells me I probably don't need to see it. Ferrer, Ferrer, Ferrer. You know that surface, you know that tournament well, you're a two time defending champion, you're facing a wounded and rusted Nadal that you've worked over in the past, you've injured Nadal with your backboard abilities and taken him out of two Slams! And this is the performance you turn in?

Seriously Ferrer. Really?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #899
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Federer doesn't have the legs for that anymore, but Djokovic most certainly does.
I think Novak is a freak of nature when it comes to endurance. The guy's on top form, he can outlast anyone at this point.

I didnt watch the Nadal/Ferrer match either, but the score does surprise me. I figured beating a top player in such a manner would take him longer. But he seems to be getting back into it with each tournament. I do wonder about him and Indian Wells though, that's going to be the big test to his knee for sure.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #900
Bim
Side-Kick

There was a groundbreaking for the new stadium at Indian Wells, and they did it in style:

Closed Thread