The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #926
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 4

A close decision for a title should be a rematch in pretty much all cases when you see folks like Sonnen and Diaz getting title shots based on factors that have nothing to do with performance in the cage.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #927
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'm Venom, Edgar just lost two straight title matches in two different divisions. You can't keep doing it until you get a certain result man.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 02-05-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #928
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

It doesn't matter who Edgar faces next, I'm betting he gets knocked out. Just have a feeling. Edgar really needs to get out of this point fighting style he's developed. Yeah, it was awesome when he finished Maynard, but I'd really like to see him throw some power into his shots. The only shots he was landing on Aldo were those leg kicks. Regardless, featherweight is gonna be a much tougher division for Edgar, in my opinion. He really isn't going to have a speed advantage at this weight class. And I hope he doesn't drop down again. He needs to stick to a division.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #929
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Edgar likely gets a rematch anyway.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #930
Project862006
Banned User

Anothony Pettis meets Aldo for title shot in August
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-aldo/1891943/

Last edited by Project862006; 02-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #931
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Venom View Post
Edgar likely gets a rematch anyway.
No he doesn't. He's got to fight someone else first. Aldo/Pettis is next.

Maybe Edgar fights Chad Mendes provided Mendes beats Gamburyan.

There's also Korean Zombie and Ricardo Lamas. They will need fights eventually.

- CM Punk
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #932
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Anothony Pettis meets Aldo for title shot in August
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-aldo/1891943/
Hell. Yes.

Going to be an amazing battle! I'm kinda leaning toward Pettis for the win. I hope he goes back up to lightweight though.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #933
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

What a fight, but I’m not happy at all about this trend.

That said, I can’t wait for this fight. Can’t deny that. I’m pissed about classes and contenders being gimped, but whatever.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #934
Project862006
Banned User

never buying anything dana white says he said tuf knockout was the most brutal ko he has seen in all of mma lolol

edson barboza's kick ko was more brutal

Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #935
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Sorry but that KO was pretty nasty.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I especially like that he does the Hadoken pose afterwards.

- CM Punk
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #936
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

I still think the Matthew Riddle KO on TUF is the most deadly.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #937
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Sorry but that KO was pretty nasty.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I especially like that he does the Hadoken pose afterwards.

That was one of the nastiest kicks in not only MMA but in Kickboxing history I have ever seen. I truly felt bad for the guy. Had it been me that delivered that kick, I'd probably panic. Scary stuff right there.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #938
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Stats don't always tell the whole story B. I don't think you can rely solely on pure stats all the time.
I do generally agree with that statement, however on the flip side of things, sometimes the stats tell the whole story.

In this instance however I'm not even going by the stats. I don't even know what the official stats were for the Aldo/Edgar fight were, I'm just going on what I saw. I've been told Edgar outlanded Aldo in 3, 4 & 5 & I don't find that hard to believe. MMA fans that have come from years of watching boxing seem to think that head punches count for me than body or leg strikes. Which isn't the case at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
It doesn't matter who Edgar faces next, I'm betting he gets knocked out. Just have a feeling. Edgar really needs to get out of this point fighting style he's developed. Yeah, it was awesome when he finished Maynard, but I'd really like to see him throw some power into his shots. The only shots he was landing on Aldo were those leg kicks. Regardless, featherweight is gonna be a much tougher division for Edgar, in my opinion. He really isn't going to have a speed advantage at this weight class. And I hope he doesn't drop down again. He needs to stick to a division.
Edgar isn't a point fighter though, he's a speed/technical fighter. Jose Aldo is more of an explosive/power based striker. Edgar just doesn't have the power that Aldo has. There is no shame in it, the key is to realising that you don't have that sort of 1 punch KO power & then finding out what you do have & fighting to those skills rather than your opponents. Not everybody in sport can have the 1 strike KO power, there will be some of which that will just be more technical orientated with there striking because they don't have that sort of vicious power.

It's over though, I feel Edgar should stay at Featherweight for a couple of fights. I think at Lightweight he is just outweighed by too much come fight night & Featherweight is a weightclass closer to him fighting guys his own size/weight or even Bantomweight, however I'd like to see him stay at Featherweight for the time being as I feel he will get the best of both worlds in this division, retaining his speed/cardio as well as being on par in terms of strength with the guys around him.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #939
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

B, once again if you go by the stats, BJ Penn won the first fight with Edgar and Edgar would never have gotten a rematch likely and never have been champ at all.

People ***** that Edgar won the last fight with Henderson, but a lot of people forget how crappy that decision was with Penn. I think Penn won that fight. Ultimately I'm OK with it because they had a rematch and Edgar decisively won, but I think Penn won that fight and IMHO the stats support that.

Fans can't have it both ways.

- CM Punk
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #940
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

I think Edgar should have stayed at lightweight. The dude beat Maynard (who is one of the biggest lightweights out there), the second and third times, in my opinion. Its funny because my friend asked me who won the second fight when we were watching it live and I said, "Edgar has it or its a draw."

But yeah, a speed/technical fighter is a point fighter. If he can't win by KO, then he has to win by judges decision. And I do believe Edgar has KO power, he just doesn't set his feet when he throws. He always goes in and out and never sets the time to just plant his feet and throw some good punches.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #941
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
B, once again if you go by the stats, BJ Penn won the first fight with Edgar and Edgar would never have gotten a rematch likely and never have been champ at all.

People ***** that Edgar won the last fight with Henderson, but a lot of people forget how crappy that decision was with Penn. I think Penn won that fight. Ultimately I'm OK with it because they had a rematch and Edgar decisively won, but I think Penn won that fight and IMHO the stats support that.

Fans can't have it both ways.
Are you seriously trying to make the argument that because Edgar has had a similarly close fight fall in his favour that he arguably should have lost, then that makes losing one himself because it's simply karma..?

The correct decision should be made every single time. I'm not gonna sit here & say Edgar was robbed vs Aldo, because he wasn't. It was a very close fight, my issue is with the 2 judges that scored it a 4 round victory to 1 in favour of Aldo. It just suggests to me that the judges all aren't on the same page as to what constitutes point scoring & some are awarding points for things that they shouldn't.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #942
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Are you seriously trying to make the argument that because Edgar has had a similarly close fight fall in his favour that he arguably should have lost, then that makes losing one himself because it's simply karma..?
I'm saying if you make all your judgements simply by the stats and you truly believe Edgar beat Aldo, then you should also believe he lost to BJ Penn and he shouldn't even even won the title at all.

Quote:
The correct decision should be made every single time. I'm not gonna sit here & say Edgar was robbed vs Aldo, because he wasn't. It was a very close fight, my issue is with the 2 judges that scored it a 4 round victory to 1 in favour of Aldo. It just suggests to me that the judges all aren't on the same page as to what constitutes point scoring & some are awarding points for things that they shouldn't.
Well obviously a lot of fans have differing views on the matter as well. So IMHO that tells me there isn't a clear consensus here either. I've talked to people that thought Aldo had it 4-1 and also 3-2. And other people believe Edgar won especially if you go clearly by the stats.

Here is UFC 157 Primetime episode 1

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- CM Punk
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #943
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Ronda is training a lot of stand up for someone who is going instantly for the takedown. Evolution is good though, glad to see she's doing it. She wins this fight under 47 seconds though. By armbar.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #944
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Who knows, anything can happen in a fight.

- CM Punk
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #945
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Ronda might have a good portion of detractors out there because of her mouth but, like Sonnen, she knows how to promote herself and back up her talk. Fans have to remember though, once the cameras stop rolling Rousey and The Diaz Bros are substantially more humble and quiet.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #946
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
I'm saying if you make all your judgements simply by the stats and you truly believe Edgar beat Aldo, then you should also believe he lost to BJ Penn and he shouldn't even even won the title at all.
I never make a judgement on who I feel won a fight based upon stats, sometimes the stats actually support my judgement, however this isn't always the case.

In regards to the stats supporting a BJ victory in their first fight, not necessarily, BJ outlands Edgar definitively in rounds 1 & 2, Edgar outlands BJ definitively in round 5. Rounds 3 & 4 are separated by 1 strike each with BJ landing 1 more in the 3rd, Edgar the 4th... however this isn't a kickboxing/boxing match. Edgar makes 3 shots in the 3rd & 4 in the 4th.. which suggests he was aggressive, which is one of the supposed judging criteria for the UFC judges. I can't recall the fight vividly from memory though, I'd need to rewatch the first fight though because it was nearly 3 years ago.

Quote:
Well obviously a lot of fans have differing views on the matter as well. So IMHO that tells me there isn't a clear consensus here either. I've talked to people that thought Aldo had it 4-1 and also 3-2. And other people believe Edgar won especially if you go clearly by the stats.
Well no, you make it sound like the people that felt Edgar won only believe so because they are only going by the stats. The likelihood is that they watched the fight, felt he won, then found out that the striking stats somewhat support their judgement & then they've just brought it up to support their argument.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #947
Project862006
Banned User

oh boy lol

Carmouche wants a ground battle with Ronda
Quote:
"I honestly don't think Rousey has what it takes to beat me. The only person that can defeat me is myself. Everybody asks, ‘Yeah, how do you not get arm barred?' You just don't get arm barred. You haven't seen anyone be able to counter is yet so you know if she's going to put those hands on you you're flipped over, you're on your back and that's the end of it. Practice makes perfect, we're just not getting arm barred, we're doing arm-bar defense, attacks, counters. It's just a matter of having enough practice. I'd definitely prefer to take this to the ground, show her that she can't armbar me. I do think that everybody's afraid of Rousey, that's definitely one of those things that's kind of hindered people. I'm not scared. That first round is the most important part of the fight, if I can get through that it will definitely be a defeat in her eyes. This isn't going to be as easy for her as it was in the past, and that's probably the biggest hurdle for her...A lot of people say I'm just an easy person to armbar, and I'm OK with that, I'm just looking forward to proving everybody wrong."

Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #948
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

She's done for.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #949
Project862006
Banned User

Miesha Tate vs Cat Zingano set for Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale

Quote:
The second women's UFC fight has finally been booked, and it will take place on April 13 at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, when former Strikeforce bantamweight champion Miesha Tate faces Cat Zingano.
The booking was confirmed by the UFC on Monday afternoon.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #950
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Overeem/Dos Santos and Silva/Velasquez II are rumored for UFC 160 at the MGM Grand Garden.

Not sure if true yet…

Closed Thread