The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Drz
Real Hero

Default Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children

Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children!

Quote:
Whats it about?:
Quote:
“It opens in France in the 1920s, which immediately for a superhero story is a very different location. We start on a bunch of explorers kind of like that opening from ‘King Kong,’ which I love, and they’re doing an exploration of the ancient world – these rich Americans who have put together an expedition to find something you’ll hear about in the story. From those first few pages, and a doomed expedition, we cut to the present day, and they came home from that trip altered and with a plan to save the American idea. In historical context, the Russian revolution is relatively recent and Europe is in a state of turmoil and they’re just on the cusp of the Wall Street Crash so they’ve gone on this trip to try and save America and then we cut to their utterly useless, meandering children in the present day essentially squandering their inheritance. It’s not crass and celebrity focused, although it touches on that stuff. It’s more Shakespearean, with the last of the old heroes, a King Lear figure, watching these teenagers and twenty-something with no altruism whatsoever. There’s a massive regret in his eyes as he looks around at the world he’s leaving behind, very much the world we see today with the Euro-zone collapse and industrial decline and six billion people worried about the future, he feels the children and grand-children of he and his friends just aren’t up to the job. But this is just the starting point. This is like saying that Star Wars is about Darth Vader boarding a ship and kidnapping the Princess. This is the first eight or ten pages and we just run with it from here.”

“You’ve got the financial, and America losing power and influence to China, of course, but at the same time, there are massive internal problems in China with social engineering being just one of them. Over the last generation, there have been too many males born, so you’re looking towards a massive social collapse over there. Huge unrest within the next decade. The Arab world is obviously in chaos and we have the European problems and the governments of the world asking these new, young heroes to help. But they can’t. Half of them can barely read a book. Adamantium claws doesn’t mean you know the specific pros and cons of quantative easing. But like I said, this is the backdrop where the adventure takes places. It’s a huge, grand operatic piece that runs for ten issues and does super-heroics on a scale I’ve never even tried in something like ‘The Ultimates.’”
The concept sounds so Universe large!

Last edited by Drz; 01-12-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Default Re: Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children

Loved their work on the Authority so I'm definitely picking this up. Quietly and Millar on a giant epic superhero? I want this now.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Kahoot

This is the first Millar book in a while that has peaked my interests.

For Everything A Reason
Fallen Empires Are Ruling
F.E.A.R.
Kahoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Sounds like a potentially great concept, though I haven't been very fond of Millar's recent work. Superior was pretty good, but nothing particularly amazing. I'll pick this up for Quietly's art, though. I'll most likely trade wait it, too. I would buy singles, but I'm wagering the delays on this will, at least, probably be on par with the other Millarworld titles.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Arseface_27
New User - Level 0

I read the thread title as "Jupiter's Chicken" lol. I'll be picking this up as I am a Millar fanboy.

Arseface_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Frank Quitely's Jupiter's Children

CBR EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK: Millar & Quitely's "Jupiter's Legacy" #1

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Millar & Quitely's "Jupiter's Legacy" - A Creator-Owned Event

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
DarKush
Side-Kick

^

I'm not a big fan of Quitely's work, though it doesn't look as grotesque as usual here. Thanks for posting the article. After reading Millar's words, I am intrigued.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

This could be the biggest piece of **** ever put between two covers, and I'll still read it. Know why?

Frank Quitely.

Having said that though, I have a HUGE soft spot for Millar's stuff so I'm looking forward to this.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Frank Quitely & Mark Millar's 'Jupiter's Legacy' Examined From Top To Bottom [Review]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brothers
I have a love/hate relationship with Mark Millar's work. When I was getting back into comics as an adult, his work with Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch on The Authority and The Ultimates were fairly instrumental in keeping me reading. As time went on, though, and his books descended deeper into pandering to the lowest common denominator, I began losing interest. But he keeps working with artists I dig, so I'm routinely tempted to at least flip through. Jupiter's Legacy is out this week, and it's his first book with Frank Quitely since The Authority ended and the first long form work Quitely has done without Grant Morrison in forever. I like Quitely's art work a lot, and Peter Doherty's colors are generally a treat.

So I sat down with Jupiter's Legacy and tried to figure out what works, what doesn't, and how I feel about that. This is a thorough autopsy, so grab your comic and read along.

*That* Panel From Jupiterís Legacy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnston
We ran the first review of Jupiterís Legacy #1, out today, last week. During which we mentioned a very specific panel by artists Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty in which a telepath created a new reality, and does so showing different levels of realities as fully print-ready art, just the colour guides and then the pencils, literally showing the creative process as an analogy for a very different one.

First Review: Jupiterís Legacy #1 by Mark Millar, Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty

Quote:
Itís the new, much anticipated creator owned superhero comic from Mark Millar and Frank Quitely, coloured by Pete Doherty Itís reported to have pre-orders in the region of 150,000, putting it well into the top five for the month at least. Thereís a lot of expectation and hope resting upon it.

But the first thing out of the gate, youíre going to think is that youíre watching an episode of a familiar TV series. A group of young folk trying to persuade a shipís captain to take them and a crew to a mysterious island on an empty point of a map that they saw in a dream, that is an answer to all the world needs. It even holds back on what happens on the island. But it is old, it is full of knowledge and it calls to people.

Whooshy sound increasing in volume. Cut to black. LOST. But as a superhero origin story.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I had no intention of picking this up when it came out but quietly's art peaked my interest. I ended up loving it. I'm not much of an indy reader, having only read Millar's work on Civil War and Wolverine, but I'm glad I got this. I'll definately see it through to its end.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Visceral
Side-Kick

I know millar's personality turns people off, but his writing is very ballsy.

Someone on this message board had sex with my dog
Visceral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
Gabe99
Side-Kick

A Jupiter’s Legacy Tweak At DC Comics…
Quote:
Remember “What If The Batman Was The Joker?” used to promote the original Nemesis comic from Mark Millar and Steve McNiven (and yes, where has its sequel gone?)

DC Comics persuaded Mark to change that strategy.

Well, let’s see the solicit posted by Comic Book Resources with an exclusive preview of artwork.
Quote:
“Celebrate the 75th anniversary of Superman this month by buying this frankly much-more interesting book by superstar creators MARK MILLAR and FRANK QUITELY.”
Yeah. I don’t expect DC will like that any more…
Grant Morrison Talks “Multiversity,” “Wonder Woman: Earth One”
DC’s favorite creator spoke with Crave Online about his magnum opus project for the DC Multiverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hunsaker
Multiversity #4: Pax Americana.
Morrison said this is "the next stage" of Quitely, and "honestly, it kicks the ass of whatever he's doing with Mark Millar right now."