The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #701
Victarion
Cut

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

If the drones can find these alleged traitors, then some branch of our armed services should be able to go in and arrest them rather than outright kill them.

Aside; I like how this drone stuff rustled Hannity's jimmies even when it probably wouldn't have bothered him if it were being done under a different president.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #702
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Honestly, if an American citizen is verifiably aiding and abetting terrorists and we send a drone with his name on it, I don't give a damn.

I do have pause about the number of inadvertent civilian casualties in these so-called "precision strikes", as well as the second hits that come minutes later when first responders are arriving on the scene and getting bombed as well.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #703
Destructus86
Side-Kick

If there are civilian casualities than our president is a mass murderer.

If another country did drone attacks on our soil to take out suspected terrorists and women and children died WE would call it mass murder. But because it happens in another country, especially one less civilized it's merely "casualties"

Last edited by Destructus86; 02-07-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #704
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

So is every President in the history of the United States if you use that logic.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #705
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

This is a very tough topic for me to have a totally set opinion on. There is a part of me that has a problem with the the civilian casualties that come with these attacks, but then there is the other part of me that says.....if it means fewer of our men and women in the military coming home in caskets...then go for it.

I just hate the whole thing.... : /

Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #706
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
This is a very tough topic for me to have a totally set opinion on. There is a part of me that has a problem with the the civilian casualties that come with these attacks, but then there is the other part of me that says.....if it means fewer of our men and women in the military coming home in caskets...then go for it.

I just hate the whole thing.... : /
I feel the same way honestly. While civilian casualties are terrible I think people that are harping on it are just doing it because they don't like Obama. Like I said before, if causing civilian casualties is enough to be called a mass murderer, every President is guilty.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #707
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I feel the same way honestly. While civilian casualties are terrible I think people that are harping on it are just doing it because they don't like Obama. Like I said before, if causing civilian casualties is enough to be called a mass murderer, every President is guilty.
Well, it is very well known around here I'm not a fan of Obama....but I really don't think this is the thing we or anyone on the Hill should be barking at him about.....there are far more important FISCAL things that I would like to have a sit down with him about.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #708
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
If there are civilian casualities than our president is a mass murderer.

If another country did drone attacks on our soil to take out suspected terrorists and women and children died WE would call it mass murder. But because it happens in another country, especially one less civilized it's merely "casualties"
By that logic, every President in every war and most Generals are mass murderers.

It's war. Civilian casualties are an unfortunate inevitable occurrence.

I'm not saying its morally right, but it just "is". It happens.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #709
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Well, it is very well known around here I'm not a fan of Obama....but I really don't think this is the thing we or anyone on the Hill should be barking at him about.....there are far more important FISCAL things that I would like to have a sit down with him about.
Shhhhh. We have no spending problem.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #710
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
By that logic, every President in every war and most Generals are mass murderers.

It's war. Civilian casualties are an unfortunate inevitable occurrence.

I'm not saying its morally right, but it just "is". It happens.
Except that double tapping drone attacks are considered a war crime.
Causing deaths and having a total disregard for civilian lives is a big difference. We should be making EVERY effort to avoid killing civilizans. But we really don't.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #711
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

^ I can agree with that much. Invading a sovereign nation without provocation like we did with Iraq is considered a war crime too.

It was declared "waging aggressive war" at Nuremberg, and some German Generals were sentenced to ten years or more in prison for it.

It wasn't meant to apply only to the Nazis, it was meant to set a precedent for the future so that countries couldn't just invade other countries whenever they felt like it.

Waterboarding was also considered torture when the Nazis did it to French Resistance agents.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #712
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

America will always be the "damned we do, damned if we don't" scapegoat. Some just look for an excuse with us.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #713
RustyCage
Come what may..

If hundreds of innocent women and children being mass-killed isn't enough for you, also consider: We're $16+ Trillion in debt, and growing.

Perpetual war ain't getting any cheaper.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #714
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

It's not as simple as that. America had an extremely isolationist strategy at the turn of last century, and we still ended up involved in the two largest conflicts in history.

While I would say we are a bit too involved in the world military scene, there is a certain preventative logic to it.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #715
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It's not as simple as that. America had an extremely isolationist strategy at the turn of last century, and we still ended up involved in the two largest conflicts in history.

While I would say we are a bit too involved in the world military scene, there is a certain preventative logic to it.
Preventative? Oh, you mean like creating severe blowback, funding dictators, aiding financially in a modern religious holocaust, monopolizing other countries' resources by force, crippling trade with an ally of the world's other largest superpowers, all while going far beyond broke?

I bet that'll prevent all kinds of threats to the US in the future.

What do you think is gonna happen when our economy inevitably crashes and Russia and China finally get fed up with our government's bullying?

Of course it's not simple. It's a suicidal web of greed.

Last edited by RustyCage; 02-08-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #716
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah, that's not what i was saying at all. I was mainly agreeing with you, just saying the matter is more complex than you realize.

But its quite obvious you don't even have the most basic knowledge of either the current sociopolitical scene nor any concept of the historical trends and precedents that exists.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #717
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
America will always be the "damned we do, damned if we don't" scapegoat. Some just look for an excuse with us.
I think the problem is is that mentality of "We're America!!!". We think we can do whatever we want...we can commit war crimes and feel we don't have to answer to anyone. Of course if another country does that then we run crying to the UN. Or we just invade. We're a bully nation that takes what we want with no regard for the people that are trampled under our well trained feet.

My point is...we are NOT the "good guys". Despite what our ads say.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #718
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, we've always been the country that's known for setting the example over the years. There's backlash moreso than ever now. But you gotta make decisions, not win popularity contests. If we help, we're *******s, and if we don't help we're still *******s.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #719
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Yeah, that's not what i was saying at all. I was mainly agreeing with you, just saying the matter is more complex than you realize.
'Preventative' is hardly agreeing with me.

You could have started by explaining your logic instead of just throwing out vague statements without substantiating them in the slightest.

Quote:
But its quite obvious you don't even have the most basic knowledge of either the current sociopolitical scene nor any concept of the historical trends and precedents that exists.
Hollow insults are not a replacement for an argument.

If you feel I'm oblivious (despite the fact that I provided several examples of context while you provided nearly zero to me), please, feel free to inform me of what I am missing. But petty retorts like 'you're ignorant' mean -nothing-.

Bottom line: There is nothing 'preventative' about provoking World War III and making ourselves economically vulnerable at the same time.

There is also nothing 'simple' about the concern I'm expressing.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #720
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I think the problem is is that mentality of "We're America!!!". We think we can do whatever we want...we can commit war crimes and feel we don't have to answer to anyone. Of course if another country does that then we run crying to the UN. Or we just invade. We're a bully nation that takes what we want with no regard for the people that are trampled under our well trained feet.

My point is...we are NOT the "good guys". Despite what our ads say.
Vote our representatives out of office. This is the power the constitution gives us as american citizens. If you dont like the administration vote against it. Clearly this country is cool with the status quo. We are engaged in war and in war collateral is a very real consequence. Me being an american I am naturally biased towards my own people. If it comes down to drone bombing a location or sending in our troops I will pick the drone. It isnt a good or a just decision, but its the choice we got.

It would be nice if they could stop this Jihad BS and religious BS and just get along but they cant.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 02-08-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #721
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Vote our representatives out of office. This is the power the constitution gives us as american citizens. If you dont like the administration vote against it. Clearly this country is cool with the status quo. We are engaged in war and in war collateral is a very real consequence. Me being an american I am naturally biased towards my own people. If it comes down to drone bombing a location or sending in our troops I will pick the drone. It isnt a good or a just decision, but its the choice we got.
The voting system has been sabotaged by the mainstream media, Wall Street, and public education system. They have it rigged to their benefit with control over mass information and the sheer amount of dollars they're able to pour into it.

The only chance we have is to use the internet (assuming it remains free) to spread awareness and information to counter their marketing capabilities. That's really what it is. Marketing.

It's a very uphill struggle though, for now. So don't expect to see much in the way of actual results from voting for probably a number of years...

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #722
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
The voting system has been sabotaged by the mainstream media, Wall Street, and public education system. They have it rigged to their benefit with control over mass information and the sheer amount of dollars they're able to pour into it.

The only chance we have is to use the internet (assuming it remains free) to spread awareness and information to counter their marketing capabilities. That's really what it is. Marketing.

It's a very uphill struggle though, for now. So don't expect to see much in the way of actual results from voting for probably a number of years...
Its disorganization and lack of motivation and unawareness. We have the power but you are right until the populace pulls its head out of the media's ass we cant expect much change.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #723
RustyCage
Come what may..

Well summarized. I think I'll put it that way from now on.

(Your avatar is really cool. What's that from??)

Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #724
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well summarized. I think I'll put it that way from now on.

(Your avatar is really cool. What's that from??)
It is a White Walker from HBO's Game of Thrones. One of my favorite shows.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #725
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

How has the Public Education System sabotaged it, and for what reason?