The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #76
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Oh nice. That looks great. And the classic (read:true) Superman is back!

I expect it to be better than the New 52 Superman stories at the time.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #77
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quick question. Is Goyer solely responsible for the MOS script? Did Nolan or Snyder have a run at it? Was anyone else hired to embellish it at all?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #78
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Quick question. Is Goyer solely responsible for the MOS script? Did Nolan or Snyder have a run at it? Was anyone else hired to embellish it at all?
Goyer is mostly responsible. However, there were rumours that Snyder brought in someone to polish the third act and add an extra action scene. Jonathan Nolan is also rumoured to have given it a once over.

During the Sucker Punch press tour, Snyder spoke about how he would call up Christopher Nolan to pitch ideas to him (And he would reply "That sounds awesome." Snyder paraphrasing, I assume. )
In the Empire article, he talked about Nolan refusing to let him do things "just because it was cool" and that there had to be somekind of practical, concrete reason behind everything. (Who knows if these ones were about script things or other production stuff, though).

Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #79
king666
(‿)

Quote:
The artwork looks amazing, but I hate Orson Scott Card.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
DC Collectibles 2013 line-up includes:
Man of Steel (movie): Superman 12 statue
Man of Steel (movie): Zod 12 statue
Man of Steel (movie): Jor El Krypton 12 statue
Man of Steel (movie): Faora Earth 12 statue
Man of Steel (movie): Superman 6 statue
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/02/07/...toy-fair-2013/

Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #81
Krumm
Beer Snob

I really like that Rags Morales statue but I wish it was the blue tshirt and grey jeans.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #82
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
1. ****. No.
2. Yes, Sir.
3. See #2.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #83
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

i like that injustice cyborg, his torso is too long though lol

Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #84
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
1. ****. No.
2. Yes, Sir.
3. See #2.
Do you have any sources for that information?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #85
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Does he ever?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #86
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Only what we've heard from the horse's mouth since production began more or less.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #87
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Only what we've heard from the horse's mouth since production began more or less.
And by "horse's mouth" do you mean Snyder? Nolan? Goyer?

Idioms are sometimes a little too ambiguous for my taste.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #88
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
And by "horse's mouth" do you mean Snyder? Nolan? Goyer?

Idioms are sometimes a little too ambiguous for my taste.
Yeah, I think they've pretty much summed it up, but the details you'll have to google yourself. It's out there, but I'm not sure it's conclusive.

Last edited by Rust; 02-07-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #89
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Goyer is mostly responsible. However, there were rumours that Snyder brought in someone to polish the third act and add an extra action scene. Jonathan Nolan is also rumoured to have given it a once over.

During the Sucker Punch press tour, Snyder spoke about how he would call up Christopher Nolan to pitch ideas to him (And he would reply "That sounds awesome." Snyder paraphrasing, I assume. )
In the Empire article, he talked about Nolan refusing to let him do things "just because it was cool" and that there had to be somekind of practical, concrete reason behind everything. (Who knows if these ones were about script things or other production stuff, though).
Awesome. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
1. ****. No.
2. Yes, Sir.
3. See #2.
So with #2, who was it? Nolan or Snyder? I'm curious if Nolan actually did have a hand in the script. Snyder I'd be unsure about after Sucker Punch. Did Snyder write parts of the Watchmen script though? I thought that was quite well done.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #90
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Yeah, I think they've pretty much summed it up, but the details you'll have to google yourself. It's out there, but I'm not sure it's conclusive.
Okay. I'm pretty sure I'm caught up with all the interviews and info on the web. From what I've been able to gather, nothing about the authorship of the screenplay has been conclusive, other than the fact that it's officially credited to Goyer.

I remember someone's post on IMDb mentioned that Snyder added a third fight scene, but that rumor (along with everything else in the post) was apparently discredited as fan-fiction by a WB source.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #91
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Maybe I'm alone on this but I kind of don't care much for these animated adaptions of comics. I kind of think for things like dark knight returns that they were meant for comics.
It depends. Personally I liked the TDKR animated movie better than the comic. An animated film can do things a comic can't and vice versa. Adaptations of any kind can be both interesting and great as long as they are well executed and not too tied up by the source material.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #92
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Okay. I'm pretty sure I'm caught up with all the interviews and info on the web. From what I've been able to gather, nothing about the authorship of the screenplay has been conclusive, other than the fact that it's officially credited to Goyer.

I remember someone's post on IMDb mentioned that Snyder added a third fight scene, but that rumor (along with everything else in the post) was apparently discredited as fan-fiction by a WB source.
I also think the original question is a little complicated. Goyer is not solely responsible for the story because he developed it with Nolan.

As for the script, rarely is one writer solely responsible -- especially with a film as big as this.

However, I would say that you can credit Goyer with a great majority of the work. Other writers were probably brought on to touch it up and not to rewrite it -- there is a difference there.

For instance, I get edits from my boss to touch up as he has to move on another project. At this point in the project, the edit has been mostly approved and I may just be swapping out some shots. Now I may add some good edits here and there but the whole piece is still his creativity and work.

Last edited by Krumm; 02-07-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #93
Simo
Side-Kick

Regarding the story and screenplay why not just go with the official source and the horses's mouth so to speak...
Quote:
NEXT SUMMER, "MAN OF STEEL" IS COMING TO THE BIG SCREEN. THE FILM IS FROM DIRECTOR ZACK SNYDER AND PRODUCERS CHARLES ROVEN, CHRISTOPHER NOLAN, EMMA THOMAS AND DEBORAH SNYDER. THE SCREENPLAY WAS WRITTEN BY DAVID S. GOYER FROM A STORY BY GOYER & NOLAN, BASED UPON SUPERMAN CHARACTERS CREATED BY JERRY SIEGEL & JOE SHUSTER AND PUBLISHED BY DC COMICS.
http://manofsteel.warnerbros.com/index.html

Goyer and Nolan told Empire that Goyer came up with the story initially and Nolan then pitched that to WB.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #94
ElToro
Im No Side-Kick lol

Does anyone know when the Scott Snyder and Jim Lee Superman Issues will come out??

Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #95
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Yes Goyer deserves a lot if credit, he was the one who initially came up with the idea for the film when he had writers block on the Dark Knight Rises. Then Nolan used his pull at WBs to get the ball rolling. Soon a strange way it's possible that without the Dark Knight Rises we wouldn't be getting Man of Steel.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #96
Simo
Side-Kick

We're starting to get our first glimpses into Toy Fair!!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #97
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Awesome, I love these kind of out of continuity, stand alone stories and such. Just bringing in different writers and artists and let them do their thing.

I hope they are gonna be 0.99 per digital issue like Legends of the Dark Knight

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #98
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Oh nice. That looks great. And the classic (read:true) Superman is back!

I expect it to be better than the New 52 Superman stories at the time.
Although it's nice to see the classic style Superman back in some form, the New 52 is really not that different from most depictions of Superman other than having a new suit. Why is it Man of Steel gets so much leeway with its changes to the suit but everyone acts like the New 52 suit is some huge abomination? It's ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #99
batman44
Go Speed GO

Why is it ridiculous for one to like one suit redesign over another? I like the MOS design, flat out dislike Jim Lee's New 52 design, still prefer the classic over everything.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Last edited by batman44; 02-07-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #100
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

It was reported that Johnstad had a crack at the script as well.

Closed Thread