The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #751
Mr. Dent

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 1

Even if it's a "lead in" to A2 it has to work as its own film. Having the Guardians come together just to lose would me them a joke in their own film. Having Thanos as an ally and stabbing them in the back at the end works as a more appropriate story telling device that's faithful to the comics and shows just how...odd of a villain Thanos is, which is a severe understatement.

And like I said, having them defeat Thanos really diminishes his threat level come A2, even if he get the Gauntlet (which wouldn't make sense if they beat him...). Like I said, he'd be virtually Loki-level. That's not Thanos at all. It's just like Thanos to be shrewd and cunning, ally with the Guardians when it suits his needs, then turn right around and betray them when he gets what he wants, rather than fighting them. Really, unless the Guardians are in possession of the soul gems, which wouldn't make sense, Thanos has no reason to fight them. What would make sense is if the Church had them.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 02-07-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #752
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 1

Thanos could simply be the puppet master, and not the actual villain. However, I think he can still work as the main villain. The heroes can lose and still come out perfectly fine. The Empire Strikes Back, arguably the finest film in this genre, ends with the bad guys winning and winning pretty big.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #753
Mr. Dent

Empire is also the second film, not the first, which is my point. And it would be extremely awesome if Thanos was the "puppet master" while working right alongside the Guardians. It would be some twisted ****, which is what Joss said Gunn was doing.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #754
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Winning or losing isn't the point, it is the character and effort shown. Think Rocky.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #755
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

First post in the GOTG-forum, so my question is simply: what is the best introductive comicbook-story to GOTG for a newbie like me? Preferably a story that might work in relation to the actual movie as well from an introductive POV.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #756
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Winning or losing isn't the point, it is the character and effort shown. Think Rocky.

Yep. I don't think GOTG is going to end with a clear "winner" or "loser," anyway. If Thanos "loses," it'll be shown in the epilogue that he was just manipulating events to make the Guardians *think* they'd won, while in reality, he has just become more powerful than ever, and prepares to make his *real* play. (As suggested above: he gets the Gauntlet.) If Thanos "wins," it'll be shown in the epilogue that the Guardians are just regrouping and becoming more powerful than ever (possibly introducing a new powerful member, like Adam Warlock or Phyla-Vell or Mantis or Moondragon).

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #757
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yep. I don't think GOTG is going to end with a clear "winner" or "loser," anyway. If Thanos "loses," it'll be shown in the epilogue that he was just manipulating events to make the Guardians *think* they'd won, while in reality, he has just become more powerful than ever, and prepares to make his *real* play. (As suggested above: he gets the Gauntlet.) If Thanos "wins," it'll be shown in the epilogue that the Guardians are just regrouping and becoming more powerful than ever (possibly introducing a new powerful member, like Adam Warlock or Phyla-Vell or Mantis or Moondragon).
Or in the epilogue, a seemingly rehabilitated Thanos whacks his real biological mother over the head with a shovel and goes back to running his motel.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #758
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Or in the epilogue, a seemingly rehabilitated Thanos whacks his real biological mother over the head with a shovel and goes back to running his motel.
Yeah, I forgot about that.
So, shower scene with Gamora, then....?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #759
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
First post in the GOTG-forum, so my question is simply: what is the best introductive comicbook-story to GOTG for a newbie like me? Preferably a story that might work in relation to the actual movie as well from an introductive POV.

Guardians of the Galaxy #1-25 (the 2008 series, not the 90s one)

Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #760
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post

Well, you can't go wrong with the Guardians title like Chewy said, but here's more in depth if you want it as well:

To get a sense of the history of the individual Guardians before they became a team in 2008 (more specifically, Drax, Gamora, and Thanos' history) I recommend you read Iron Man v1 55, Captain Marvel v1 25-33, and Avengers v1 125, in that order. It covers the first appearance of Thanos and Drax and the Avengers' first battle against Thanos.

After that, read Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-11, Marvel Team-Up 55, and Avenges Annual 7, also in that order. Those cover the relationship between Thanos, Gamora, and Adam Warlock/Magus and the first appearance of the Universal Church of Truth, which will no doubt be used in GotG. Avengers Annual 7 also tells Thanos' origins in depth.

For Star-Lord, just read Marvel Preview 4 for his origin story and maybe issues 11, 14-15, and 18 for his early adventures. He's not a highly used character until the 2000s. Groot and Rocket Raccoon are pretty inconsequential as well.

Finally, after that I'd recommend reading The Infinity Gauntlet if you haven't already, but if you're only interested in the Guardians and not Thanos, then you want to jump to the modern era cosmic stuff involving Annihilation, which begins with 'Thanos' in 2004. Here's a chart for that:

After all that, you will be an expert on the Guardians side of the cosmic universe.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 02-07-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #761
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, I forgot about that.
So, shower scene with Gamora, then....?
Well, she needs to keep clean.

Must be cool for a green chick to take a shower.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #762
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
At times Drax has been depicted as being Hulk-sized, so as far as I'm concerned, the bigger the actor they can get, the better - especially with not-so-small Chris Pratt in the lead.

As far as Thanos goes - while he should definitely be imposing and muscular, I am not as hung up on height with this character. Some of his best moments in the comics have come pounding on much larger characters like the Hulk and Champion, and I think that a more compact Thanos quickly dispatching a larger Drax would translate well to the big screen.
This, in a way. I wouldn't want him to be Thor's height. I think he should be a taller than Thor. Thor should come up to his nose I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I've been thinking...does Thanos really have to be the villain of the film? It would be weird if the big baddie they gave us at the end of Avengers got beaten in a film before Avengers 2, if that happened he might as well be Loki level. At the same time, it wouldn't make sense for the Guardians to lose in their debut film either. Then I remembered about Adam Warlock and that storyline with him and Gamora involving the Universal Church of Truth where Thanos teamed up with Gamora to take down Magus and the Church...only to back stab her in the end. If Warlock is in the film, it would be a good use of his character to have his alternate self as the villain while introducing Thanos as a conniving, hands-on bastard. It would also be a good way of showing all the different aliens in the Marvel cosmic, through the church. The church was even used in the 2008 Guardians comic.
exactly. He just turns on the team at the end, for what he wants, setting up avengers 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
If it is truly a lead-in to Avengers 2 them losing seems appropriate really. Especially if the giant tease is what would be hitting Thanos next.

But there is also always the possibility that he is defeated and then gets a power boost with the Infinity Gauntlet at the end as a big tease.
yes, but he doesn't have to be defeated, or even be the primary antagonist to be a lead in

Quote:
Well, you can't go wrong with the Guardians title like Chewy said, but here's more in depth if you want it as well:

To get a sense of the history of the individual Guardians before they became a team in 2008 (more specifically, Drax, Gamora, and Thanos' history) I recommend you read Iron Man v1 55, Captain Marvel v1 25-33, and Avengers v1 125, in that order. It covers the first appearance of Thanos and Drax and the Avengers' first battle against Thanos.

After that, read Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-11, Marvel Team-Up 55, and Avenges Annual 7, also in that order. Those cover the relationship between Thanos, Gamora, and Adam Warlock/Magus and the first appearance of the Universal Church of Truth, which will no doubt be used in GotG. Avengers Annual 7 also tells Thanos' origins in depth.

For Star-Lord, just read Marvel Preview 4 for his origin story and maybe issues 11, 14-15, and 18 for his early adventures. He's not a highly used character until the 2000s. Groot and Rocket Raccoon are pretty inconsequential as well.

Finally, after that I'd recommend reading The Infinity Gauntlet if you haven't already, but if you're only interested in the Guardians and not Thanos, then you want to jump to the modern era cosmic stuff involving Annihilation, which begins with 'Thanos' in 2004. Here's a chart for that:

After all that, you will be an expert on the Guardians side of the cosmic universe.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #763
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:

I'd also recommend Jim Starlin's cosmic stuff. Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock, The Infinity Gauntlet/ War/ Abyss etc. No it's not technically the Guardians of the Galaxy, but the Infinity Watch had 4 characters who wound up in the GoTG, and also featured Thanos heavily.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #764
Blackman
King Kong

With Chris PRatt playing Star Lord my anticipation for this has gone through the roof

Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #765
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

So thats how that hole in the roof happened.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #766
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #767
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Alright, man. Thanx everybody. Looks like there's enough to get one started.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #768
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I think Thanos can be the main villain of the movie and the GOTG can lose to him and still have the movie work.

As we all know, Thanos is always on a mission to gather more power, so its always him trying to get something rather than defeating/killing someone, they could have Thanos defeat the Guardians, but then the Guardians still stop Thanos' plans to gain more power, so it would be a moral victory for the Guardians rather than a physical one, then of course they could point out that Thanos is heading for Earth and they will need "help" to truly defeat him once and for all.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #769
misjuevos
I am Groot

thanos could just be on his quest and bump into the gotg. he fights them briefly then acquires what he was after and leaves for another gem.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #770
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

El mayimbe dropping news shortly??

@elmayimbe: Ok guys, pulling off another robbery. Posting Guardians of the Galaxy news in about 5-10 minutes. RT

Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #771
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post

@elmayimbe: Ok guys, pulling off another robbery. Posting Guardians of the Galaxy news in about 5-10 minutes. RT
I'm expecting a follow-up tweet stating he needs a little more time to consult with his lawyers and/or that he is currently undergoing technical difficulties.

I don't have a reason to doubt the validity of El Mayimbe's scoops, but MY GOD, grant me patience to deal with this egotistical, self-aggrandizing ****.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #772
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Maybe he'll come back to let us know more about his newsletter.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #773
JP
To me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post

So expect something we've all likely already figured out to be posted in approximately 10 days.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #774
Chewy
REDACTED

He says Momoa has been cast as Drax

http://latino-review.com/2013/02/15/...rdians-galaxy/

If it's true the trades will probs post articles on it later today

Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #775
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
He says Momoa has been cast as Drax

http://latino-review.com/2013/02/15/...rdians-galaxy/

If it's true the trades will probs post articles on it later today
And if it's true, deadmannuk12 will be gloating for the next two months.

Closed Thread