The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #601
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Uh..? Do all those links i provided look to you like some blog anyone could throw together? Whatever..Oh yeah those "scientific organizations" that are corrupted and promote chemical drugs on patients that have zero effects on them so that the market of medications keeps profiting.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=1bMt83_IWkE#!

Last edited by Alex_Spider; 12-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #602
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1898208.html

They mention that smoking weed doesn't give you enough of the compound in question to inhibit cancer growth.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #603
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
Uh..? Do all those links i provided look to you like some blog anyone could throw together?
Yes. Yes it does. It's just a blog where someone added a bunch of links and videos that are unsubstantiated. And cut and pasted a bunch of text. Anyone could do that.

The videos don't prove anything, and most of the links just go to other blog posts, or don't work. Only one link I tried went to an actual news site, one I'd never even heard of before.

This is not proof. This is just people making claims. Anecdotal evidence at best.

And if a pharmaceutical company found the cure for cancer, they'd release it. Why? Because they'd make would make so many billions of dollars, they'd be the biggest company in the world inside of a year or two. They'd pretty much put all of their cancer fighting competition out of business and monopolize the market. Their stock price would skyrocket. The stockholders would be rolling in their investment.

Plus you better believe the heads of that company would be on the cover of every magazine and newspaper. We're talking daily presence in the news, Nobel Prize, talk show appearances, and praise as saviors. If there's one thing a CEO likes more than money, it's glory and attention. You couldn't pay them enough to pass this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #604
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1898208.html

They mention that smoking weed doesn't give you enough of the compound in question to inhibit cancer growth.
There we go. An actual news source. And one that's fairly well respected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #605
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Yes. Yes it does. It's just a blog where someone added a bunch of links and videos that are unsubstantiated. And cut and pasted a bunch of text. Anyone could do that.

The videos don't prove anything, and most of the links just go to other blog posts, or don't work. Only one link I tried went to an actual news site, one I'd never even heard of before.

This is not proof. This is just people making claims. Anecdotal evidence at best.

And if a pharmaceutical company found the cure for cancer, they'd release it. Why? Because they'd make would make so many billions of dollars, they'd be the biggest company in the world inside of a year or two. They'd pretty much put all of their cancer fighting competition out of business and monopolize the market. Their stock price would skyrocket. The stockholders would be rolling in their investment.

Plus you better believe the heads of that company would be on the cover of every magazine and newspaper. We're talking daily presence in the news, Nobel Prize, talk show appearances, and praise as saviors. If there's one thing a CEO likes more than money, it's glory and attention. You couldn't pay them enough to pass this up.
Tedious and endless cancer treatment is far more profitable than a single-pill cure.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #606
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

I don't think cancer will ever be cured. We'll get better treatments but considering how it acts, what it is and what can trigger the only cure for cancer is death.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #607
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
It does not only curb the nauseau. It cures cancer indeed. Proof is all over the net from people of medical field and cured patients.

http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wor...wn-since-1974/

No it doesn't...are you kidding me? A cure for cancer? Do ya not think that it would be legally available to all if it were actually a cure for cancer. Reality check please...

Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #608
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
No it doesn't...are you kidding me? A cure for cancer? Do ya not think that it would be legally available to all if it were actually a cure for cancer. Reality check please...
Did you read the huffington post article? It's clear that cannabis cures certain kinds of cancer.

You seem to think pharmacuetical companies really want cures and vaccines to highly profitable diseases. You might need the reality Check.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #609
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
There we go. An actual news source. And one that's fairly well respected.
I can actually do one better:

http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/6/11/2921.full

http://link.springer.com/article/10....1177-4?LI=true

http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/9/1/180.full

There are more, I think.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #610
bkong0
Side-Kick

I'm not familiar enough with the medical research to say whether cannabis helps with cancer or not (aside from relief) but to those thinking that pharmaceutical companies have anyone's best interests in mind other than their own, there's a ridiculous amount of proof of that.

Plenty of lawsuits from pharma companies selling drugs that they actively knew harmed people because it was more profitable to take a small lawsuit later. Plenty of times where pharmas blocked generics being used/exported. A significant percentage of pharma research funding going towards more cosmetic drugs rather than ones that are actively more harmful. The pharma industry is awful and a mere few minutes of googling leads to plenty of reason to believe they put profits first, patient care later. Obviously there's no cure for cancer but they have an active interest in making people pay for mediocre drugs for years rather than attempting an actual cure.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #611
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
A cure for cancer yeah. They don't make it legally available brecause then it would be a very cheap medicine as everyone would grow it in their homes and companies would lose millions.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #612
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

Quote:
A cure for cancer yeah. They don't make it legally available brecause then it would be a very cheap medicine as everyone would grow it in their homes and companies would lose millions.
Smoking it doesn't help.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #613
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Smoking it doesn't help.
I know.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #614
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #615
SV Fan
Side-Kick

I guess when you get embarrassed in a national election, make a plan to go after the youth vote. lol

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01...ists-liberals/

Quote:
Legalize pot and reap the benefit from influx of toking tourists: Liberals

Canada’s economy could benefit from an influx of toking tourists if weed is legalized, the Liberal Party of Canada says in a new analysis that backs the party’s 2012 policy convention resolution.

And Canada’s health-care system and law-enforcement agencies would gain from billions in new tax revenues — money now going to organized crime — as a result of domestic sales of high-quality, low-priced and government-regulated Canadian weed, according to the 38-page paper.

It was prepared by a party committee in response to the overwhelming vote a year ago in Ottawa by party members in favour of legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana sales.

One of the paper’s co-authors, citing evidence from countries with liberal pot laws, said tokers from the United States and elsewhere will be drawn to Canada if they can enjoy a hassle-free high.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #616
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

The Eight Most Promising Marijuana Reform Bills for 2013

The big advances for marijuana reform still tend to come during election years when initiatives are put on the ballot, but there are already some promising signs for possible legislative victories in 2013. Across the country several marijuana reform bills have been introduced in the state legislatures that either stand a decent chance of becoming law this year or will at least significantly advance the issue of reform. Hopefully, the fact the voters in Colorado and Washington State recently came out so strongly for full legalization will convince politicians across the country that the electorate wants change.

Here is my list of the eight possible marijuana reforms in 2013 that look most promising. It is obviously still early in the year so other actions can still potentially emerge.

1) New Hampshire, medical marijuana – Medical marijuana was almost approved in New Hampshire last year but only failed because the bill was vetoed by then Governor John Lynch (D). Lynch has since retired and been replaced by Governor Margaret Hassan (D). Hassan is a supporter of medical marijuana and voted for it when she was serving in the state legislature.

2) Vermont, marijuana decriminalization – Governor Peter Shulmin (D) considers marijuana decriminalization a real priority for this legislative session and already bills have been introduced in the legislature. The legislature in Vermont is also controlled by Democrats so that chances are good something will be approved.

3) New York, decriminalizing marijuana in “public view” – Minor possession of marijuana in New York is already decriminalized as long as it is not in “open view.” This legal technicality is being exploited in a devastating way in New York City. In primarily low minority neighborhoods the police are using a stop and frisk tactic. They basically forcing random people to empty their pockets and then arrest them for having the marijuana in public view. The issue has received serious media attention and during his State of the State address Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) called decriminalizing the public view of 15 grams or less of marijuana a priority for 2013.

4) Illinois, medical marijuana – In the past the Illinois State House has come close to approving a medical marijuana bill but it ended up just a few votes short. In the 2012 election, though, Democrats made significant gains in the state legislature. Given that Democrats tend to be more supportive of marijuana reform, the election should have improved the chances of action this year. Gov. Pat Quinn (D) has previously said he would consider signing a medical marijuana law.

5) Washington State, vacating old marijuana convictions – It is idiotic and unfair for people to be burdened with a criminal record for something that is no longer even a crime. That why the bipartisan HB 1661 has recently been introduced in Washington State. It would allow people who were previously convicted of misdemeanor marijuana possession to have their record vacated. Hopefully, the fact that the people of the state overwhelming voted to legalize marijuana will encourage the legislature to act.

Even if it is not approved this session, it is important for support to start building around this issue as marijuana legalization continues to spread. The slow process of ending marijuana prohibition won’t be completed until the needless suffering it caused is also fixed as best it can be.

6) Kentucky, industrial hemp – One of the most absurd parts of the United State’s marijuana prohibition is that industrial hemp has been caught up in it. While the industrial hemp plant are technically related to marijuana it is only in the way that a Pomeranian is technically related to a grey wolf. Industrial hemp can’t get people high.

There is an effort underway to fix this problem to allow farmers to grow industrial hemp, which is an agricultural product with a variety of uses. Kentucky’s two senators, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R) and Rand Paul (R), are both pushing to allow local farmers to grow hemp. The recent backing of McConnell is very important. He is not only the unofficial leader of the GOP in Kentucky, but one of the most politically powerful people in Washington.

7) Hawaii, marijuana legalization – A bill was recently introduced in the Hawaii State House that would legalize marijuana. Even though the bill is probably not going to pass this year, what makes this effort significant is that the bill is sponsored by House Speaker Joe Souki (D), who holds the most powerful position in the chamber.

This will be an interesting test of how much support legalization currently has in the Hawaii state legislature and should help build support for reform going forward. Hawaii was the first state legislature to approve medical marijuana and it is possible that in a few years it might be the first state legislature to legalize marijuana.

8) Rhode Island, marijuana legalization – State Rep. Edith Ajello (D) introduced a bill to legalize marijuana for adults. While it is unlikely to be approved this year, the Rhode Island had recently adopted several marijuana reforms including both a marijuana decriminalization bill and a medical marijuana dispensary bill last year. This bill should test to see how much the recent election has changed the politics around the issue and help build support moving forward.

Long term, Rhode Island will be one the top targets for getting legalization approved through the state legislature. It is a very liberal state but doesn’t allow for ballot initiatives.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #617
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
6) Kentucky, industrial hemp – One of the most absurd parts of the United State’s marijuana prohibition is that industrial hemp has been caught up in it. While the industrial hemp plant are technically related to marijuana it is only in the way that a Pomeranian is technically related to a grey wolf. Industrial hemp can’t get people high.

There is an effort underway to fix this problem to allow farmers to grow industrial hemp, which is an agricultural product with a variety of uses. Kentucky’s two senators, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R) and Rand Paul (R), are both pushing to allow local farmers to grow hemp. The recent backing of McConnell is very important. He is not only the unofficial leader of the GOP in Kentucky, but one of the most politically powerful people in Washington.
I never get why this is illegal myself. So many uses for industrial hemp, definitely could be a cash crop for many farmers

Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #618
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Because it was too much competition for paper and cotton.

Three men, Henry J. Anslinger, Lammont DuPont, and William Randolph Hearst, made growing hemp illegal. Anslinger was the head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. DuPont and Hearst were the owners of the largest chemical company and newspaper, respectively.

Why would these men want hemp made illegal?

Trees had become the number one paper source during this time. Hearst, in addition to owning a nationwide chain of newspapers, also owned every bit of timber used to make them. The new threat of cheap hemp meant that trees would no longer be the cheapest source of paper. DuPont had patented the process for producing synthetic nylon from oil and coal as well as a new improved sulfate process to make paper from wood pulp. If DuPont would have had to compete against environmentally-friendly hemp products, his business would have suffered.

How did they make hemp illegal?

Hearst began printing outlandish stories with headlines such as “Marijuana goads user to blood lust” and “Hotel clerk identifies Marijuana smoker as gunman”. He also took advantage of the country’s prejudice against blacks and immigrants by printing that marijuana-crazed negroes were raping white women and by painting pictures of lazy, pot-smoking Mexicans. DuPont’s banker Andrew Mellon happened to be Secretary of the Treasury under Herbert Hoover. Mellon also had a nephew-in-law, Henry Anslinger, who had the Marijuana Tax Law of 1937 passed. When asked what this meant for industrial hemp farmers, Anslinger flatly declared “They can continue to raise hemp just as they have always done it. It makes very fine cordage and this legislation exempts the mature stalk when it is grown for hemp purposes.” However, due to the overall similarity in appearance between hemp and marijuana, the entire Cannabis family was made illegal. Hemp made a brief resurgence during World War II after Japan cut off supplies for raw fibers. The U.S. Department of Agriculture released the short film Hemp For Victory encouraging all farmers to grow hemp for the war effort. However, it went back to its illegal standing after the war.

Real classy dudes.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #619
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Three men, Henry J. Anslinger, Lammont DuPont, and William Randolph Hearst, made growing hemp illegal. Anslinger was the head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. DuPont and Hearst were the owners of the largest chemical company and newspaper, respectively.
I probably should have worded it I don't know why the hell their wouldn't be enough complaints about the stupidity of making industrial hemp illegal. I get the fact alot of people who wanted to profit off of it being illegal made sure it was that way.

Industrial Hemp should be a lesson how our government actually works(ie big money has alot of say, even when the results might not be beneficial to the masses).

Last edited by SV Fan; 02-07-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #620
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...mbol?hpt=hp_t3

Apparently police can't tell the difference between plants!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #621
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Um....well, a nice first step at least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2687954.html

But he could do better. I mean...why not say it's a $10 ticket or something low like that if caught with weed under 15 grams? Why make it a ticket to appear in a desk appearance? At least there's no jail time now if it's under 15 grams.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #622
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Recently, the City of Los Angeles repealed its ban of medical marijuana collectives after Bill Rosendahl, a member of its city council diagnosed with cancer and prescribed medical marijuana said to fellow council members about the ban, "You want to kill me? You want to throw me under the bus?"
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51148243/n...-reports-adsi/

Federal Govt says Weed effective in combating certain types of cancer.

ETM take on it: 'You don't say....really. No ****.'

Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #623
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

Quote:
It's okay folks. He's a corpse, but he's not dead. Marijuana just has that strange effect of confusion for the user and those around him

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated

Last edited by Rodrigo90; 03-15-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #624
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

The only ones confused are people who support prohibition.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #625
Thought Crime
Banned User

Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Closed Thread