The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Products

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #776
WallCrawler3344
Side-Kick

Awesome Re: Web shooter shop class - Part 2

Thanks, bro.
We start with a silly string can, move the nozzle and hose to the side, and hollow out the middle, leaving about a cm left, so it will fit snugly over the wrist. Then cover the gap with aluminum, weld it to the wall, so more fluid can be inserted. Then we take two pressure valves; one for C02, one for fluid(it'll all go to the same place, but this'll keep either hole from clogging). Then, we add an old wrist watch head over the nozzle, cutting out the glass the nozzle can still shoot the webs, and weld that to the can. Oke, now the adjuster on the watch head? Attach a bicycle shifter to that, and add a piece of plastic connecting the top of the nozzle and the inside part of the adjuster, so the nozzle button will be pushed when the hand is pulled back. Now, in the comics, he had cartridges that add extra webs. For this, we add a cavity just under the watch head, and add yet another valve. Then, put a needle valve on the butt of a hollowed rifle shell, and you can fill that up with a bit if fluid.*Btw, I've got a new YouTube account for gaming. A little random, yes, but once I put up a few videos, could anybody who likes videogames subscribe? It'd help a ton.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #777
spidey44
Side-Kick

Default Re: Web shooter shop class - Part 2

I don't think a silly string can is wide enough to get over your wrist.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #778
spidey44
Side-Kick

Pushing the valve to the side won't leave much room for your arm and moving the tube to the side will be inefficient at shooting the fluid because most of the fluid wouldn't be around the tube, the bottom of the can is concave so most of the contents would be expelled.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #779
WallCrawler3344
Side-Kick

Oops! I'm sorry, I didn't think of it like that... Oh well, we can only improve, right? Thanks. But the idea's solid. And as for the size thing, really any aerosol can, I was just using silly string as an example. I also intended for there to be a wall speeded to the inside, to catch the fluid from falling out, if ai understand your comment correctly. But yea, it was a year ago when I first wrote it. Meh:P

Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #780
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Alright guys, I took the video of the shooter. I'm going to have to do a voice-over though, because the sound quality of the camera I'm using in videos is really really bad. So, I expect the video to be up at the latest by the end of the week. This video covers about me, shooter misconceptions, and a look at my shooter currently.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #781
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

To answer spectacular23's questions from the formula thread, I used a solenoid, the spinerette, and some solid pieces of tubing. Basically, the formula is constantly shooting into the spinnerette, building pressure in it. However, when equilibrium has been formed between the small solenoid compartment and the larger canister, the shooting inwards will stop, keeping the formula in stasis until I shoot. When the solenoid opens, it goes into a small piece of solid tubing. That solid tubing connects to flexible tubing, which connects to a small piece of solid tubing, which contains the solenoid. The solenoid is controlled by a relay which is controlled by a microcontroller.
The solenoid, on the entry side of the formula, has a needle which pushes in a spring-loaded valve on the canister when it is screwed in.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #782
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

steps to complete the shooter:
•assemble cartridge
•assemble cartridge adapter fittings on solenoid
•test with water, troubleshoot if needed
•work on formula, get finished formula
•finished shooter and formula.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #783
Aracno_8000
Dreamer Newbie

Lookin' forward to check your progress ^^
I'm busy with my new job, so i don't have much time to dedicate to this project anymore.
But i'm following your ideas.

Cheers, Aracno_8000

Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #784
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

I know what you mean. ^^ I have a job that is basically all just waiting for a guy to drive me around, then I fix computers. It pays well, and it's fun, but it's kind of boring. Luckily, I get time in the car to draw schematics and stuff. And cheers to you, sir. ^^

Speaking of schematics, a little tip to ye who are building your own shooters: always draw schematics before you build. I even write myself little instructions on exactly what I have to do in order to build something. It's just better than having to memorize how to build something, then realizing you screwed up later.

Also, I got the solenoid assembly today. I will build the cartridge assembly when I get the time to go buy the parts for it. Still can't find my camera, nor can I find the upload cord to my sister's camera Makes me angry that I can't find anything. Oh well. I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #785
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

New video, showing my shooter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DuWPh3Kl8I

Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #786
JMA610
Advanced Webslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
New video, showing my shooter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DuWPh3Kl8I
Hey Wadaltmon, I signed up for real web tech and got some photos up finally. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #787
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Those are awesome! I see you've gone for a more compact design, which is great. What is your pressure source? And how much fluid can it hold?
Also, be wary of those 9V connector wires... they can snap pretty easily. I would advise heat-shrink tubing or electrical tape to wrap around those wires.
You're making really good progress, JMA610. Cannot wait to see that thing working!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #788
JMA610
Advanced Webslinger

Quote:
Those are awesome! I see you've gone for a more compact design, which is great. What is your pressure source? And how much fluid can it hold?
Also, be wary of those 9V connector wires... they can snap pretty easily. I would advise heat-shrink tubing or electrical tape to wrap around those wires.
You're making really good progress, JMA610. Cannot wait to see that thing working!
Thanks man! I was going to get either one of those for the 9v battery adapter. Can I buy shrink tubing at Home Depot? And the valve I have on it is a tire valve, so my air compressor will supply the pressure, which with PVC, can be up to 600 psi I think. I like the compact design, too. Right now I think it can hold 3ish ounces of fluid, I haven't measured it yet. But that's why I'm striving to have the MgO in my fluid to allow for expansion, especially if I increase the ratio, which can really only have a positive effect on the fluid. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is constantly expanding, won't it naturally build up pressure even after I use the air compressor? I still have to find like 1 more piece of metal tubing so I can have a closed chamber. You understand how the release valve works from my sketches? I know they were a little crowded. Hopefully I can have it functioning by march!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #789
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Well, if you add magnesium oxide and it expands the whole time like you say, it may or may not extrude correctly, depending on the material your spinneret is made of. But as it sounds, it should work. I may be overthinking the viscosity of your formula though. And I have never looked for heat-shrink at Home Depot, but I know they have electrical tape. And yeah, I get how the valve works... I just don't get how it's actuated when you put in the cartridge.
And do you know the name of that cap piece that you can screw stuff into the end of? That would be awesome for my shooter.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #790
JMA610
Advanced Webslinger

Quote:
Well, if you add magnesium oxide and it expands the whole time like you say, it may or may not extrude correctly, depending on the material your spinneret is made of. But as it sounds, it should work. I may be overthinking the viscosity of your formula though. And I have never looked for heat-shrink at Home Depot, but I know they have electrical tape. And yeah, I get how the valve works... I just don't get how it's actuated when you put in the cartridge.
And do you know the name of that cap piece that you can screw stuff into the end of? That would be awesome for my shooter.
Do you mean the PVC cap or the small green one?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #791
Spectacular23
Future New Yorker!!

Hey guys sorry I've been really busy with my daughter. But I've been really thinking of taking a "long shot" but maybe futuristictly possible approach. You know how the symbiote has the ability to create it's own webbing? How about creating something similar to this goo. Not exactly the symbiote per se but something that can mimic the property of webbing. There are many universities and polytechnic institutes that's is working on incorporating nanotechnology into a product called nanoglue or an other unknown name. Although probably not available market wise maybe a little ingenuity and tweaks to these innovation might actually give us the glorified web fluid we being looking for

http://science.slashdot.org/story/07...n-web-shooters
http://www.physics.org/facts/gecko-spiderman.asp

http://newtechcommunity.m.webs.com/s...etwork=fw#0332

Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #792
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMA610 View Post
Do you mean the PVC cap or the small green one?
The one on the very right on this picture.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #793
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Almost finished with the shooter... completely! Just have to drill a hole in a PVC cap, cut a little pipe section, glue a needle, and screw in the pipe section to the hole in the PVC cap, then the shooter is ready for testing.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #794
JMA610
Advanced Webslinger

Quote:
The one on the very right on this picture.
That one is just a 1/2" PVC cap threaded with a skateboard baring tube piece epoxied into the hole I drilled in it's center.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #795
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Oh, I thought that it was an actual piece you could buy, not one you put together yourself. I basically intended to do the same thing, but with a brass pipe. Thought it could save me some time. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #796
Ironcladspider

I havea question wadaltmon yiur web shooter is the spinerette yiu are using is it actual moving or is it a stati piece that doesnt move?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #797
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Currently, it is static and does not move. However, I have plans and schematics for a system that will be able to make it move.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #798
Ironcladspider

Ohokay thanks and can i ask what web formula are you using and what proportions of substances are you using? Not to be a pain because im sure you have said this multiple times.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #799
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

White_widow put my exact post from the time when I made up my formula up on his DA page. It's here: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=wadaltmon+#/d4f0j9c

Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #800
JMA610
Advanced Webslinger

Quote:
White_widow put my exact post from the time when I made up my formula up on his DA page. It's here: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=wadaltmon+#/d4f0j9c
Yah, I remember when you posted that Hopefully my formula will hold up as well as that. I might add some of the plumr for strength. But not to get off topic, I am close to finding my last piece, but finding the right sized spring with the right "springyness" is proving to be a pain in the arse. But I still stand by my march 1st completion date.

Closed Thread