Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #926
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Nicely put. Still don't understand all the hate for Wolverine. Days of Future Past wouldn't be the same without him nor would any other X-Men epic.
This.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #927
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

The hate comes from the fact that the other "stars" of the X-Men family have been consistently shoved to the background to make way for this particular character in the films. It's not that fans hate Wolverine in of himself, they are just annoyed that the X-Men, which is supposed to be an ensemble project, rarely operates as one. Logan basically gets 75% and everyone else gets to divide the remaining slice of pie. Seeing things from Logan's point of view was brilliant for the first X-Men film in 2000. But now every film follows that same formula--and he has his own solo film series too.

And unfortunately, Marvel's The Avengers has proven once and for all that a good superhero ensemble film is entirely possible--and without the politics. Even The Fantastic Four films did a better job of featuring all of the team members equally better than any one of the X-Men films.

So precedents have been set--and bars are high. Will Days Of Future Past be the X-Men ensemble film we've been waiting 13 years for? Or will it be more of the frustrating same?

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 02-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #928
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
The hate comes from the fact that the other "stars" of the X-Men family have been consistently shoved to the background to make way for this particular character in the films. It's not that fans hate Wolverine in of himself, they are just annoyed that the X-Men, which is supposed to be an ensemble project, rarely operates as one. Logan basically gets 75% and everyone else gets to divide the remaining slice of pie. Seeing things from Logan's point of view was brilliant for the first X-Men film in 2000. But now every film follows that same formula--and he has his own solo film series too.

And unfortunately, Marvel's The Avengers has proven once and for all that a good superhero ensemble film is entirely possible--and without the politics. Even The Fantastic Four films did a better job of featuring all of the team members equally better than any one of the X-Men films.

So precedents have been set--and bars are high. Will Days Of Future Past be the X-Men ensemble film we've been waiting 13 years for? Or will it be more of the frustrating same?
Hopefully Wolverine won't have that big of a role in DoFP, I want to see more of the other characters and I don't think it's too much to ask for since Wolverine has his own movies, was the main in the trilogy and had a cameo in FC. I think we've seen all he can do and it's getting a bit stale.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #929
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:

If Wolverine is the time traveler, then I'd get ready for, as you nicely put it, "more of the frustrating same."

Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #930
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think we will get some better crowd pleasing moments from the whole crew. But the focus will continue to be Fassbender, Mcavoy and more then likely Jackman in the modern/Future time. Until they get past this film I dont see that changing. Tough story to give everyone equal screen time unless the whole crew meets up with the other. I think post DOFP X films will be a completely different story and we wont see a Wolverine lead X film for a very long time. A transition and change does need to happen so Wolverine isnt the only one around to lead the X Men for the audience. This film will get us there but not start like that right away, it seems to be a continuation of X3 and The Wolverine. We should def see all the X Men actually fighting together and hopefully being more of a team for once.

I will say Killing Wolverine on screen should be a great way to get a huge sense of desperation for the future X Men if he is not used as the time traveler. If they attempt this thats even more reason to make sure hes the focus during the future scenes. Giving him an anti climatic death and set up would be one of the biggest missed opportunities in this film to give us something horrifying. You got to build a moment like that. Especially to someone who essentially cant be killed and is the teams VIP. Gain the audiences hope and trust and then take it away.

Quote:
Still don't understand all the hate for Wolverine. Days of Future Past wouldn't be the same without him nor would any other X-Men epic.
Neither do I, especially given this story. This is one he belongs in. I get everyone wants to see other characters (so do I) and more X Men, but hes the strongest driving point for the team in the Singer films. They cant get rid of that development and pretend its not there, its all that these films have for the most part haha. After THe Wolverine comes out most audincces will have that and First Class in their head. Those are the two films Millar has said are their new starting point, I dont see them trying to build Wolverine up again and won by everyone just to have him be brought down in the biggest X Flick to date as a glorified cameo. Magneto and Prof X get alot of screen time over all the other X Men as well. Thats not gonna change and takes away just as much screen time for other mutants. Its very difficult to make everyone happy given what they have laid out.

As for the time traveler. Unless they all travel Rogue, Bobby, Collosus or Storm wouldnt even make sense to be the traveler. It will be either Kitty just to make it source accurate. A New character whos power allows them to travel. Or Prof X,Raven, Magneto, Beast and Logan cause they are the only ones alive in both time periods. And out of all those who are alive in both times Logan or Prof X would work the best for the story.

Last edited by def28; 02-08-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #931
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post

If Wolverine is the time traveler, then I'd get ready for, as you nicely put it, "more of the frustrating same."
I really don't think they will make him. I think Singer will put in the right amount of ol'Wolvie.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #932
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Time will tell the tale. Although I'm beginning to lose hope about Storm being confirmed.
The fact that Halle has remained silent regarding the movie makes me believe that they're just trying to negotiate things and once it's figured out, it'll be announced!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #933
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
They would deal with mutants in 1973 by passing laws and other things against them. The government wouldn't immediately start with attempted genocide. And by preventing whatever the act is, they're not saying that humans and mutants live in peace with no problems afterwards. There will always be bad mutants out there causing trouble. Just not enough to spend millions constructing giant mutant-hunting death machines.
If there are always bad mutants out there causing trouble, why preventing one act of trouble in the 70s would dramatically change things and prevent a Sentinel future? Especially if it's Magneto who is responsible for it; surely this would not be his only anti-human act over the years?

If something happened to finally make the government spend millions on developing technology for the giant death machines after they spent years making legislations, it's IMO more logical that it would be something that happened post-X3 (or at the end of X3 with Jean causing all that devastation), not in the 70s.

I could maybe see it work if the whole Sentinels scheme is masterminded by someone who has a very personal reason to seek revenge on the mutants, who somehow has been affected by what happened in the 70s incident, and who has not had the opportunity to do this until much later in life. It's a bit similar to Stryker in X2, I know, but personal reasons are really the most powerful ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
This quote from Shawn Ashmore really worries me. It makes me wonder if the three of them are going to be the time travellers. Stewart and McKellen I have no issue with being the travellers but I worry if Wolverine is interacting with both casts it's going to turn into yet ANOTHER Wolverine and the X-Men movie. I was kinda hoping we'd get another film where his role was minimized but I guess that was too much to ask for
Well, I'm certain that Wolverine's role in this will not be a brief cameo, but I still rather doubt that he will be a centre of the movie to the same degree as he was in the OT.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 02-08-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #934
Storm22
Side-Kick

Was just watching X2 again last night. Can't wait for DOFP - it'll hopefully marry the best elements of First Class and X2. One things I was thinking though - they made the right move setting the new Wolverine and some of DOFP after X3. Hugh Jackman is noticeably older looking now than his X1/X2 days. His cameo in First Class was passable but that was one of my gripes with the first Wolverine - he looked much too old for it to be a prequel.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #935
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

We could hire Brett Ratner to digitalize his face like they did with Xavier and Mags. lol.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #936
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
He hasn't read the script yet so calm the **** down.
No need for this. Knock off the attitude.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #937
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I think even if he hasn't read the script, he knows some things. I hate the idea of old Xavier/Magneto interacting with their younger selves...so I hope he's wrong.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #938
Marv
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I think even if he hasn't read the script, he knows some things. I hate the idea of old Xavier/Magneto interacting with their younger selves...so I hope he's wrong.
I agree. One traveler is enough.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #939
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I wonder if they'll stick to the original story and just have a character go into the mind of their past self.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #940
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
You have to realize that Bryan Singer is in a position to work with the principal members of his dream cast. There's simply no way this film is not going to focus exclusively on this Wolverine/Xavier/Magneto triangle. It's been the mainstay theme for 13 years now, and expect it to continue to be.
Yup! Especially the prequels of this movie series focused on those three. They aren't gonna make Wolverine a supporting after his 2 solo movies, thats like unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
lord

Wolverine, Wolverine, Wolverine

open your minds a bit guys, its not that hard.

Wolverine WILL be in all the posters, teasers, trailers, spots, interviews and all. Even if he is on the future, the past, the traverler or not.

We dont need another Wolverine and friends movie. Is that what you want?

if so, ok, good luck to your franchise and beloved "x-men characters", if you support Fox and Singer giving Wolverine the main role
We are just being realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
The movie is already "sold". There was already enough intrigue for a FC sequel on its own. Now they've combined the casts and thrown in time travel and giant robots. It doesn't matter which character is the time traveler. They don't need to sell anything.
Most of the casual viewers want to watch this movie because of Wolverine. They are gonna be disappointed if he's only a background character. And Wolverine is already an established leading character of this movie series. They are not gonna put him on background because fans want Shadowcat to be the time traveler. Lets be real.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-08-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #941
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Nicely put. Still don't understand all the hate for Wolverine. Days of Future Past wouldn't be the same without him nor would any other X-Men epic.
His mutant powers are not just that not visually appealing to some people here and they want the other characters to shine. And I get that, Wolverine is not one of my favorite characters in X-Men too but seriously, they are not gonna make him a supporting character. Thats like making Ironhide, the lead Transformers robot in a Transformers movie and not Optimus Prime.

Quote:

I have a feeling this movie will focus on Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto. The rest are supporting roles.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #942
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yup! Especially the prequels of this movie series focused on those three. They aren't gonna make Wolverine a supporting after his 2 solo movies, thats like unreal.

We are just being realistic.

Most of the casual viewers want to watch this movie because of Wolverine. They are gonna be disappointed if he's only a background character. And Wolverine is already an established leading character of this movie series. They are not gonna put him on background because fans want Shadowcat to be the time traveler. Lets be real.
Wrong. Most of the casual viewers who will see DOFP will see it because they...
-Enjoyed First Class and/or
-Enjoyed the old trilogy

At this point the fact that Wolverine is in it isn't going to be a big boon. It's unfortunate that we'll never be able to have clear data on this, thanks to the clusterfrigs of X3 and XOW. X3 was successful BECAUSE OF X2. Wolverine was successful also because of X2, and because of HJ's Wolverine. Both movies were disastrous, and it will be a long time before a lot of casual viewers will be willing to wipe away the foul taste of particularly XOV. FC did poorly, NOT BECAUSE WOLVERINE WASN'T IN IT, but because the marketing was horrifying and HALF of the X-Men movies up to that point were complete garbage. The fact that it made 350$M worldwide is pretty incredible, but Wolverine can take no credit for those numbers good or bad. Did people love his cameo? Absolutely. Did people love the movie even though he wasn't in it beyond that? Absolutely. Did people shell out for FC just because he was in it at all? Absolutely not.

People will always love Wolverine the character, that's a given. But "most" people are also exceedingly tired of "X-Men" movies that are really just about him. "Most" people didn't miss him in First Class, and it's a shame that this trend can't continue with its sequel.

Oh well, at the very least we can hope that this guarantees he'll be a no-show for FC3.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #943
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wrong. Most of the casual viewers who will see DOFP will see it because they...
-Enjoyed First Class and/or
-Enjoyed the old trilogy
So are you...

A lilttle movie called The Wolverine which is directly tied into dofp,comes out only a year before. That will matter to audiences. Add that to your list and it will be correct. Most casual viewers love the living crap out of Wolverine and even his last ****** movie. They could care less how much they force him in this franchise, because they like watching him. Its the hardcore movie and comic fans that are tired of seeing him beacause they know the other X Men deserve more time. And even then, look at the poll here on SHH for who people want to return the most...

If the Wolverine flops and FC ends up making more money then maybe you would be right but I have a feeling that wont be the case.

Last edited by def28; 02-08-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #944
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
NO. Casual viewers will want to see this because its going to be a big sci-fi action film with a great cast. No one is going to the theater for one damn character.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #945
def28
Side-Kick

Tons of people did go to the theatre for one character and they will again this summer. The X Men name sales without Wolverine but with him added to the cast there is no doubt it increases hype and sales because he is the #1 most marketable X men character in all forms of media and is played by one of the most well known actors.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #946
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Tons of people did go to the theatre for one character and they will again this summer. The X Men name sales without Wolverine but with him added to the cast there is no doubt it increases hype and sales because he is the #1 most marketable X men character in all forms of media and is played by one of the most well known actors.
Obviously when the character has a movie entirely to himself, the audience is going just to see him and his story. XMDOFP is completely different. This is a huge huge blockbuster "event" movie. This is way bigger than just one character, no matter how popular he is. His name is an instant draw without question BUT to say he's the reason "most casual viewers" will want to go see this X-Men movie? That's bogus. Casual viewers will be drawn to the scope of this story, the sci-fi/action elements, and the combined casts. Not just Wolverine.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #947
def28
Side-Kick

He adds alot of interest and credibility to the film roster, and it will make more money cause hes in it. But yeah hes not the only reason people will see this flick. Its gonna make money cause its the X Men ...and they are fighting giant Robots.

Last edited by def28; 02-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #948
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
People will always love Wolverine the character, that's a given. But "most" people are also exceedingly tired of "X-Men" movies that are really just about him. "Most" people didn't miss him in First Class, and it's a shame that this trend can't continue with its sequel.

Oh well, at the very least we can hope that this guarantees he'll be a no-show for FC3.
They didn't miss Wolverine in First Class but people found his cameo great and First Class would have been more successful if Wolverine had a larger role in the movie.

Quote:
Obviously when the character has a movie entirely to himself, the audience is going just to see him and his story. XMDOFP is completely different. This is a huge huge blockbuster "event" movie. This is way bigger than just one character, no matter how popular he is. His name is an instant draw without question BUT to say he's the reason "most casual viewers" will want to go see this X-Men movie? That's bogus. Casual viewers will be drawn to the scope of this story, the sci-fi/action elements, and the combined casts. Not just Wolverine.
Well FYI, I didn't say Wolverine is the only selling point. Wolverine is the most marketable character in the franchise thats why I said "most of the casual viewers" will want to watch this movie because of him.

Hardcore fans of this movie franchise are just like 10% to 5% and probably less of the over-all casual viewers.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-09-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #949
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
NO. Casual viewers will want to see this because its going to be a big sci-fi action film with a great cast. No one is going to the theater for one damn character.
Some may. But I mostly agree.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #950
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with Wolverine being the centre of attention in the first two films at least. He was a great character in X1 and X2 and Hugh Jackman was incredibly charismatic (and dead sexy!) in the role. The problem with him IMO was that he got more and more domesticated as the series went on; he's at his most appealing when he's a prickly badass loner. Even in X2, to me he never really had the genuine edginess of those first scenes in X1 in the bar and the fighting ring. His cameo in First Class was also great because in it he was the grouchy Wolverine, rather than the cuddly sensitive Wolverine.

If he's used well in DoFP I guess I wouldn't complain. I still wouldn't want him to take too much screentime away from the FC characters - yes his presence might be one of the selling points, but as I'm not a Fox executive it's not my job to care about that stuff.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 02-09-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Closed Thread