The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #251
JAKŪ
Upstart

Default Re: Let's Talk Costumes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Silly description especially with regards to the TDK/R suits. We as viewers are not supposed to assume it is rubber but the materials they explained it to us as.
Of course. Which is why a fabric-based costume with implied under-armour would also work on screen, if done correctly.

Quote:
If anything as the suits were presented to us they were by far the most mobile and light weight of any of the past batman suits. Hell it took batman near 20 years before he could turn his head.
And yet, Batman's movements were still limited and the result was that we had Christian Bale stumbling around looking like he was punching through jello.

Quote:
I really did like the kevlar by-weave description as well as the segmented plate design. Now i know from an aesthetic point some have criticized the legs for being overly busy but what nolan did overall was a great leap for the batman suits from where they were.
If he truly wanted to make a leap he would have ditched rubber entirely. The suit in BB wasn't far off what we saw in the Burton and Schumacher movies. They improved the construction for TDK at the cost of ruining Batman's elegant and simple design.

Quote:
If you want to talk about rubber i don't think the burton suits even tried to hide that they were made out of rubber. Hence the scene where batman actually rips his mask off by peeling the rubber mask off.
Burton at least made up for it through his superior staging and lighting techniques, harkening back to the days of German Expressionism when things looked stylised and not real. Nolan insisted on realism which made the rubbery appearance stand out more.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #252
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I disagree about the suit resulting in limited movement. If anything that was mostly based on the martial arts-style used for the film with limited body movement and more precise attacks. I thought the fight scenes in rises were great btw.

Something your missing out on is all costume suits have their inherent movement limitations. Batman is never going to be depicted in some spandex unitard made for ballet. If you're talking armor under fabric there will still be movement limitations. Hell despite the MOS suit looking skin tight i bet cavil can still barely move in it. I also disagree strongly about the suits looking more "rubber" than in burton's movies. Especially in the first one it was painfully obvious the materials were heavy rubber.

As for material based suits the only one i've seen on film so far that i think looked somewhat decent in design was the cap suit from first avengers. Mainly because it was depicted as very real-world and utilitarian.

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 02-07-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #253
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Seriously, just about every superhero costume has come with complaints from the actors about restricted movements. It just comes with the territory.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #254
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Batman is never going to be depicted in some spandex unitard made for ballet.
There it is! The 's' word! I was wondering when that would come up.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to continue this debate, I just heard that my grandmother died. See you later.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #255
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Did you even bother to read the sentence that followed or did you just over-react right away? My point was no superhero costume will ever be that comfortable or flexible. There will always be moment restrictions, armor under material design is no exception to that.

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 02-07-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #256
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post

Anyway, I can't be bothered to continue this debate, I just heard that my grandmother died. See you later.

Why did you have to mention this? Did you feel that your presence would be so sorely missed if you didn't give a reason for your leaving a debate.

Just seems weird way to sign off.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #257
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post

I'm sorry for your loss stranger.

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #258
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

It always seemed odd to me how much the Schumacher suits seemed to have better movement that the Nolan suits. Or at least they had better choreography.

Anyway, I think the Tron: Legacy suits are the closest we've gotten to seeing something that people could move in and give the appearance of protection (if people are truly hung up on that for whatever reason).

I thought this was pretty cool...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #259
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny67 View Post
Notice how(to your point) every visual example used was with the mask off?
That was my point, one element of a costume sucking doesn't make the entire costume suck, especially when it looks suddenly awesome when that element removed.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #260
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

The Tron suits have been my idea of reference since that film was released, they are the perfect material, flexibility and look for a new live action Batman suit.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #261
Mako
Galactic Crusier

The main pieces of the TRON suits were foam latex, the same material used for the Batsuits from B89-BB. It's the design and execution of the suits that sets the pieces apart.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #262
combocaz
Side-Kick

I do not want to see this.

This is perfect though. High tech contact lenses will work for bats.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
combocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #263
Nathan

They managed to pull off the lenses look in Daredevil.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #264
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

I would like to see the Costumes from the New 52.

IamtheBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #265
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocanrol View Post
Eh, lousy argument. Catwoman is fittier and that costume give us:

Also, catwoman it's not focused in the fighting, but relying on stealth and using her sex appeal as a weapon and distraction; not like batman (i'm looking at you bat-nipples). Dude get shot every now and then!

Lovely!

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #266
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
Why did you have to mention this? Did you feel that your presence would be so sorely missed if you didn't give a reason for your leaving a debate.

Just seems weird way to sign off.
Um, he just heard his grandmother died. Is there a "normal" way to "sign off" after that?

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #267
Razgriz-Specter
Side-Kick

Don't know if anyone would agree, I think a Returns style bodysuit lightened to a gunmetal with the cape, cowl, boots and gloves all dark blue would be the best look for Batman in a Justice League movie.
Just to give Batman a little color to fit amongst the team
I know its a toy but something like

Last edited by Razgriz-Specter; 04-04-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Razgriz-Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #268
Kevin Smith
Banned User

For Batman I'd like to see his comic book/animated series patterned Batsuit, but with a dark charcoaled gray and a black cape and cowl (and other black areas, gloves, boots, leotard, etc) that's a black that is so black it looks "blue" or "navy" in some shots like the Burton suit did at times. The Burton suit had a very Neal Adams look to it that I liked about it in some shots, if they could capture that but tweak it a bit and "adjust" it for today's cinema that would be ideal for Batman in the JL film (and even the reboot if you ask me - that's what I'd prefer to see him in).

Also - NO ARMOR for the Batman. He needs to move fast like a ninja, not be built like Iron Man or a tank. I don't want to see any "platings" on him; the suit is flexible, yet it is bullet proof and flame retardant, it is not "spandex", it is made of a "thicker" type material that is believable when you look at it but also does justice to Batman's definitive comic book look.

I am fine with either symbol, the yellow/gold ellipse or just the black bat symbol spread across his chest like a phoenix. Whatever they decide, I would like it to be more "visible" than what we got in Nolan's films. The symbol on that suit, especially the post Begins one was barely noticeable due to how busy the rest of the suit looked. Also, the "lining" behind the "armored' pieces on the TDK Batman suit, some type of material like that is close to what I have in mind for the texture I'd like the Batsuit to be; it's about halfway what my idea is I'd say.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 04-04-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #269
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
For Batman I'd like to see his comic book/animated series patterned Batsuit, but with a dark charcoaled gray and a black cape and cowl (and other black areas, gloves, boots, leotard, etc) that's a black that is so black it looks "blue" or "navy" in some shots like the Burton suit did at times. The Burton suit had a very Neal Adams look to it that I liked about it in some shots, if they could capture that but tweak it a bit and "adjust" it for today's cinema that would be ideal for Batman in the JL film (and even the reboot if you ask me - that's what I'd prefer to see him in).

Also - NO ARMOR for the Batman. He needs to move fast like a ninja, not be built like Iron Man or a tank. I don't want to see any "platings" on him; the suit is flexible, yet it bullet and flame proof, it is not "spandex", it is made of a "thicker" type material that is believable when you look at it but also does justice to Batman's definitive comic book look.

I am fine with either symbol, the yellow/gold ellipse or just the black bat symbol spread across his chest like a phoenix. Whatever they decide, I would like it to be more "visible" than what we got in Nolan's films. The symbol on that suit, especially the post Begins one was barely noticeable due to how busy the suit looked. Also, the "lining" behind the "armored' pieces on the TDK Batman suit, some type of materia like that is close to what I have in mind for the texture I'd like the Batsuit to be; it's about halfway what my idea is I'd say.
Batman in tights fighting with superheroes who have powers is not realistic. That's why he's been wearing an armored bullet proof suit for the past 25 years.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #270
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Batman in tights fighting with superheroes who have powers is not realistic. That's why he's been wearing an armored bullet proof suit for the past 25 years.
Aaaaahhttt but I didn't SAY tights, and that is NOT what I want to see. I don't want armor, I want something NEW that is neither black rubber nor armor nor spandex.

And none of it is realistic at all - it just has to look like it could be. I think they could find a way to do that with a certain material that wouldn't look as "bare" as "tights" (since that's really what this is about) and have it not be "tights" yet not armor but still achieve a look closer to the comic book look and buyable as a protective suit. I even don't mind if there's some "muscle definition" "sculpted" into it.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 04-04-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #271
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Aaaaahhttt but I didn't SAY tights, and that is NOT what I want to see. I don't want armor, I want something NEW that is neither black rubber nor armor nor spandex.

And none of it is realistic at all - it just has to look like it could be. I think they could find a way to do that with a certain material that wouldn't look as "bare" as "tights" (since that's really what this is about) and have it not be "tights" yet not armor but still achieve a look closer to the comic book look and buyable as a protective suit. I even don't mind if there's some "muscle definition" sculpted into it.
So you want a new outfit right?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #272
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
So you want a new outfit right?
Yeah, pretty much. There are just certain things I would like to see incorporated into it is all.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #273
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're under the false notion that Batman wears tights in the comics. He doesn't. He was a type of very resistible fabric-like material that is very lightweight and offers the same protections that armor does. Nothing silly looking about a costume like that.

The costume may be drawn like tights but they are not tights. They're just drawn like tights in the comics because it visually looks better on the page (that isn't the case in live-action though lol).

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #274
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
You're under the false notion that Batman wears tights in the comics. He doesn't. He was a type of very resistible fabric-like material that is very lightweight and offers the same protections that armor does. Nothing silly looking about a costume like that.

The costume may be drawn like tights but they are not tights. They're just drawn like tights in the comics because it visually looks better on the page (that isn't the case in live-action though lol).

Yeah, right.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #275
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yeah, right.
He got shot in the hand. No suit will offer such high level of protection for your hands including an armored suit. Nolan's Batman would've gotten shot like that too.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote