The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #976
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

I've seen it before, same place but a previous date.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #977
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

I really have timing. Just de-lurking to post and then this little rumour hits the thread.

Will have a thing or two to say about the discussion going on here eventually.

Not saying I believe in it.

Last edited by Idun; 02-08-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #978
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I guess someone in Australia really hates Tom Hiddleston. I think most Death hoaxes occur a lot because the perpetrator holds a secret resentment against a certain celebrity. It's almost like they wish whatever concocted story they come up with could actually happen in some sick, twisted fantasy inside their head.

*edit* Looks like that fake blurb was removed by the Mods. Good call on their part. What a horrible thing to put in here. Seeing as how this is a public forum imagine if friends or family were to see that?

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-08-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #979
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

So sorry. I was googling for news on movie pics, and this came up, and I panicked. I didn't sleep well last night and so was overly emotional (and stupid). Again, I apologize, and thanks for your understanding.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #980
elizah72
Side-Kick

I actually recall seeing it with different names attached, again same place. So stupid and a rotten thing to post (not you Lady Geek, the people who made it up), it upsets people.

In other news, happy news, the very much alive and vibrant and wonderful and handsome Tom Hiddleston has a birthday coming up on Saturday. Feb. 9 . 32 years old.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #981
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Don't feel bad. That was just something a few jerks created to get a rise by making people that love Tom Hiddleston upset.

On a happier note if I still had Twitter I'd wish Tom a Happy Birthday of course.

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-08-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #982
Jenlet
Irritant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I guess someone in Australia really hates Tom Hiddleston. I think most Death hoaxes occur a lot because the perpetrator holds a secret resentment against a certain celebrity. It's almost like they wish whatever concocted story they come up with could actually happen in some sick, twisted fantasy inside their head.

*edit* Looks like that fake blurb was removed by the Mods. Good call on their part. What a horrible thing to put in here. Seeing as how this is a public forum imagine if friends or family were to see that?
Yikes. Glad I missed this hoax.

People can be incredibly stupid. :P

Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #983
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlet View Post
Yikes. Glad I missed this hoax.

People can be incredibly stupid. :P
Just thank your lucky stars this hoax was shot down before it became an issue. All said Tom is still very much alive and well.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #984
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

So, after carefully reading what you guys are writing I'll jump in and give my perspective on the Loki character.

Loki is ambiguous, which makes it really difficult to actually be 100% sure that he has a certain intention or that he thinks A or B. In my opinion, Loki is a lot more complicated than being flat out evil and I think it shows clearly in Thor 1. He may be a trickster, but he is a person affected by what goes on around him and the way he grew up, positive and negative. Thor is shaped by the same mould and though he wishes to do the Right Thing he ends up taking actions that definitely can't be called heroic and good. It's not at all heroic to go to Jotunheim, start a brawl that leads to war (with Thor wanting to finish them off once and for all). It's not at all heroic to leave Bifrost open to tear Jotunheim apart either, as Loki does. Therein lies the disturbing truth that from the start, the difference between Thor and Loki isn't that great. It's not evil to be jealous, feel slighted and wish to prove oneself (Thor has some of these feelings too, though they are directed towards Odin), but it can lead to that individual making decisions and act in ways that leads to him/her doing incredibly evil things. This is also why it's so easy to wish to discard someone is evil, because we are all, given the “right” circumstances, capable of taking such a route in life. We just don't like to think we could. In that sense I find Loki's character quite tragic.

Also, I think it's reasonable that Loki is upset by Odin's admission that he thought Loki one day could be useful to him. It's a game of power and Loki is a pawn, the calculation of course being to have Loki on the throne in Jotunheim, and since he was raised by the Æsir, he'd be loyal to them first. That's the permanent peace Odin is talking about. I think anyone would have felt at least sightly used and betrayed, even if that person had grown up that close to real power. The question inevitably comes, do they really love me for myself, or am I just a tool to be used? Did I ever fit here or is everything just an illusion? And though Loki could have acted differently, the fact that he doesn't makes him quite human, with all the flaws we have, making the same errors. He is driven by resentment and a wish to prove himself and in the process he justifies his actions as being the best for everyone.

The fall he takes in the end is so metaphorical it almost hurts. The abyss is not just an abyss but also a moral and a psychological one, where anger and resentment can grow in to hate, driving him to revenge. I think he was easy pray in that mental state for anyone with ideas in the direction of conquering the realms, throwing logs on the fire in Loki's mind, trying to foster a useful tool.

Quite Shakespearian, the whole thing.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #985
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I think the main issue with Loki is that Loki thinks what he does is bringing about peace but that certain sacrifices of innocent people (Or not so innocent in the case of the Frost Giants.) are to be expected. He seems to me to be an ends to a means kind of guy.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-08-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #986
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

He definitely is, but so are the Æsir in general. It's shades of grey, this good vs bad, because in the past both Odin and Thor has justified decisions that way. To paraphrase Surak, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one, but what one believes is for the greater good may not be the case for another.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #987
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

That might be true but Loki always seems to be a bit on the ruthless side though. His lack of restraint is causing a lot more harm than good and I think that in Avengers towards the end Loki realized the mistake he made but it was too late for him to fix it. I'm struck with the notion that he must be pretty confused because of how little guidance he must have gotten from Odin who was unprepared to handle Loki's aptitude in magic.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #988
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

He is ruthless, for sure, when he thinks his actions calls for it. It's quite ruthless to lie and decieve your brother the way he does, but he justifies his actions as them being in everyone's interest. However, if there's any time he should waver, and we didn't see anything like that, it would be when he speaks to Frigga. I got the feeling that he was so wrapped up in what he was doing from the moment he let those Frost Giants in to the weapons vault, to the very end, that he kept up the act even to her. It's clear it's his theatrics that fires up Thor, but I got the feeling he was acting in front of Frigga as well (the scene that was cut, that is). Of course he has something nagging in the back of his mind that this isn't really okay, but he ignores that voice, and in the end he has lost it. Only the lie remains.

Lack of restraint is what characterises both brothers from the beginning, but while Thor changes for the better, Loki changes for the worse. Loki's change is all on him, since he is responsible for his own decisions. No one forces him to make them. Thor is sent to learn a lesson, and he learns, a lesson Loki should have learned as well. When he arrives on Earth in Avengers his head is so full of ****, that he can't see straight, which naturally leads to him being defeated by the Avengers. Never underestimate your enemy, yet he does so throughout the film. Arrogance is the downfall of anyone seeking power, and he has it in spades. Hell, he has a garden full with carefully nurtured plants of wrath. This is what makes the continuing story interesting, what will happen now?

I really have a thing or 50 to say about Thor as well, but after reading the Chris Hemsworth thread I decided to not venture there, because I don't want to come at odds with those who love the character Thor (I like Thor a lot, but it's not all black and white to me). That's one of the difficulties when discussing heroes and villains; some will look at an opinion and say, in Loki's case, oh you're making excuses (which I'm not - he has to own his own decisions and actions) or, in Thor's case, a hero is a hero is a hero no matter what they do or in what name and no one should dare to say otherwise. Which I would, and I think it's a lot more interesting too. What makes a real hero in my eyes is someone who are willing to challenge him- or herself and what they are doing and learn from the past and constantly try to do better. Loki obviously isn't, so he's not my kind of hero.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #989
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

just wish we'd get pics lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 02-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #990
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
just wish we'd get pics lol
You have just stated something fangirls have been wanting since the start of production.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #991
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
You have just stated something fangirls have been wanting since the start of production.
lol I know, I just want pics of eveyone! Well mostly Sif and Thor

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #992
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Oh my God, I found this in images after seeing a before image of a baseball player that cut his hair.

Timmy made a huge mistake cutting his hair because he could have had the Loki fangirls at his feet.

He looks too generic now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol I know, I just want pics of eveyone! Well mostly Sif and Thor
Well, there are the spy pics of those two characters, but we Loki fans have been thrown no bones.

This will be my son:

This child is too precious!

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-09-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #993
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

Quote:
Well, there are the spy pics of those two characters, but we Loki fans have been thrown no bones.

This will be my son:

This child is too precious!
Too bad we don't have Halloween over here. I'd love to dress up my youngest as Loki too. Alas, perhaps someone will throw a birthday costume party.

As for pics, what we've seen has been all about Thor and some of his side kicks, as well as extras. The others are shrouded in mystery. Though I'm dying to see more, it's not all that surprising.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #994
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idun View Post
Too bad we don't have Halloween over here. I'd love to dress up my youngest as Loki too. Alas, perhaps someone will throw a birthday costume party.

As for pics, what we've seen has been all about Thor and some of his side kicks, as well as extras. The others are shrouded in mystery. Though I'm dying to see more, it's not all that surprising.
Oh jeez, why do you need a silly holiday to dress your kid up as Loki? I'd be doing that to my son anyway. Like I said I'd love to do a Kid Loki series to post on Youtube. My kid would be dressed in costume every day for play time. Why can't boys play dress up too?

Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #995
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

Well, I only have daughters, but they never dress up (aside from the teenager these days, but that's not what people usually would call to dress up since there's not a princess in sight when she's done with purple hair and Siouxsie Sioux make up).

Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #996
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Dress up for kids is pretty cute depending on the age of the kids involved, like the adorable children I posted in Loki costumes. It's about exercising imagination and making up amusements without relying on technology to entertain you. Kids need more playtime and less gadgets I think.

But as an adult if I had the money to make a costume I'd dress up as Lady Loki for a boyfriend if he liked that sort of thing. It's actually in general pretty fun to role play in private with your significant other. I guess you could call it the adult version of playtime.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #997
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

Quote:
Kids need more playtime and less gadgets I think.
Word. On the other hand it doesn't have to include costumes either. We were playing out western and superhero stories all the time as kids, but we never had anything but our own imagination.

Quote:
But as an adult if I had the money to make a costume I'd dress up as Lady Loki for a boyfriend if he liked that sort of thing. It's actually in general pretty fun to role play in private with your significant other. I guess you could call it the adult version of playtime.
It could work for some. In this household though, I have a hunch a certain someone would think it funny and nothing else. Besides, my hair is anything but Loki-esque. Not because I'm fair, but because I have dreads. Long ones too, not easily covered up by a wig.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #998
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Word. On the other hand it doesn't have to include costumes either. We were playing out western and superhero stories all the time as kids, but we never had anything but our own imagination.
Sometimes our version of a costume was construction paper ears and tails if we were pretending to be woodland animals or mythological creatures. I remember how we used to make cardboard cut out props too. When I was a kid there were no dollar stores to get cheap, plastic props for play time. Imagination was a very big tool we used. Imagination is not being fostered in children lately because parents are letting their kids be babysat by game consoles and televisions instead of taking them to the park to play.

Quote:
It could work for some. In this household though, I have a hunch a certain someone would think it funny and nothing else. Besides, my hair is anything but Loki-esque. Not because I'm fair, but because I have dreads. Long ones too, not easily covered up by a wig.
I'm just saying that's what I like to do. >_< Being sultry with a significant other in private playing a character known for sultriness is fun.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-09-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #999
Idun
Destroyer of snowmen

Quote:
I'm just saying that's what I like to do. >_< Being sultry with a significant other in private playing a character known for sultriness is fun.
I got that. You've got to have someone appreciating it on the other end though, and I don't have that. He'd piss himself laughing, and that would take all the fun out of it.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #1000
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I guess some guys just like romance in a raw, unembellished manner.

Closed Thread