The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #776
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 1

IIt can go so wrong.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #777
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It's a lot to juggle just for his second movie. Have to set up Cap adjusting to the modern era, introduction of Falcon, Winter Soldier/Bucky, Cap's love interest, and plus whatever they have planned with SHIELD and Nick Fury and setting up the next Avengers flick.

- CM Punk
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #778
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It's a lot to juggle just for his second movie. Have to set up Cap adjusting to the modern era, introduction of Falcon, Winter Soldier/Bucky, Cap's love interest, and plus whatever they have planned with SHIELD and Nick Fury and setting up the next Avengers flick.
2+ hours is enough time for all of that.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #779
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
And they need to tie up Steve's loose ends with Peggy.

And Natasha is going to have a large role, because of star power and that Johansson doesn't come cheap. So they're going to feature her prominently, and at the same time, they shouldn't allow her to overshadow Sam, and particularly, Sharon.

And most of all, they need to reconcile the two storylines of the movie. The Winter Soldier is a bleak one, Steve finds out that his best friend has been warped so horribly, while the relationship with Sam is more uplifting.

And they need to do all that in 120 minutes.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #780
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

And don't forget the villains

Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #781
fireflyhatter
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #782
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

villains? no time for villains with all that stuff happening!

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #783
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Which means that, obviously, some of those subplots will get short shrift or axed altogether. With Atwell seemingly confirming that she hasn't been asked back, I think the Peggy subplot will be nonexistent, other than maybe a tearful visit by Steve to her tombstone.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #784
onyxrose81
Side-Kick

I think anything to deal with Peggy is done and dusted. They'll probably be a short sentence about how he's moving on and what not but anyone hoping for more than that is more than likely not going to get it.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #785
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Which means that, obviously, some of those subplots will get short shrift or axed altogether. With Atwell seemingly confirming that she hasn't been asked back, I think the Peggy subplot will be nonexistent, other than maybe a tearful visit by Steve to her tombstone.
Unless Steve's closure with Peggy is part of the Sharon storyline, so he discusses her throughout his interactions with Sharon. That would kill two birds with one stone, which would be the way to do it rather than having two separate things.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #786
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

I am very worried about this film for all the reasons listed above. It feels like there's not enough time to properly tell half the threads they're spinning here. Something is going to have to give, whether it's character/relationship development or overall plot. IMO the Winter Solider plot should have been set up in this film but saved for the third movie, that way Steve could have had time to develop to the new world, build new relationships and work with SHIELD before throwing the Bucky curveball at him.

As much as I love Natasha, I really hope they don't just do "star power = screen time" and that they give her a much smaller role. She's really not necessary to this plot, and the new characters shouldn't be short shifted just because the actors aren't as bankable.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #787
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

While the fate of the world will be a point, the main focus will be Steve dealing with being out of his time and his former friend becoming his worst enemy because he feels guilt about his "death."

Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #788
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I think that is irrelevant. If they are doing a Steve and Peggy reunion, chances are they were going to go with an older actress rather than hire Atwell and go through the trouble of makeup.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #789
The Guard
Side-Kick

I really hope it's not one of those "guilt" angles. I'd much rather see Steve just dealing with the fact that his friend has been brainwashed into Winter Soldier than anything where Bucky blames Steve for it happening to him in the first place.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #790
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I really hope it's not one of those "guilt" angles. I'd much rather see Steve just dealing with the fact that his friend has been brainwashed into Winter Soldier than anything where Bucky blames Steve for it happening to him in the first place.
I highly doubt that.

Maybe he can find ways to blame himself for Bucky falling, but it's not like he knew somebody would recover him and turn him into an assassin. Steve just thought he was dead.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #791
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

From Toby Jones regarding Arnim Zola
Quote:
“I’m told I am gonna be involved, but of course, I don’t quite know how much I’m gonna be involved. I think the theory is that Arnim Zola is gonna come back and, I’m told by people who know much more about the myth of this stuff, that he invents the secret of eternal existence. So, it’s looking good for future films as well. So that character in particular is a good one to get involved with.”
Infinity Formula?

And from Hayley regarding Peggy
Quote:
“You might see Peggy in some other context ... I’m not playing Sharon Carter, but it was inevitable because, obviously, Steve Rogers wakes up in the first one and it’s modern day. Peggy would be very very old or dead. So, it wasn’t really a surprise to me.”

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #792
McSir
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
I am very worried about this film for all the reasons listed above. It feels like there's not enough time to properly tell half the threads they're spinning here. Something is going to have to give, whether it's character/relationship development or overall plot. IMO the Winter Solider plot should have been set up in this film but saved for the third movie, that way Steve could have had time to develop to the new world, build new relationships and work with SHIELD before throwing the Bucky curveball at him.

As much as I love Natasha, I really hope they don't just do "star power = screen time" and that they give her a much smaller role. She's really not necessary to this plot, and the new characters shouldn't be short shifted just because the actors aren't as bankable.
Wouldn't have worked. Bucky was such a non-character in the first movie that if they waited until the third movie to bring up the Winter Solider for the third movie almost everybody in the general audience would've all but forgotten about him.

Plus, if you save all the cool stuff for some point in the future you have nothing to fill the present.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #793
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSir View Post
Wouldn't have worked. Bucky was such a non-character in the first movie that if they waited until the third movie to bring up the Winter Solider for the third movie almost everybody in the general audience would've all but forgotten about him.

Plus, if you save all the cool stuff for some point in the future you have nothing to fill the present.
Winter Soldier isn't the only worthwhile Captain America storyline, you know. There was a period of about forty years between Cap getting thawed and the Winter Soldier storyline, pretty sure there was one or two characters or storylines you could make a non-Winter Soldier movie with.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #794
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

OMG Cap has adjusted to the modern times, get over it. With the recent alien attack the whole world needs to adjust to new times. Atleast Cap already dealt with the 'supernatural/alien' Tesseract during WW2.

If they dwell on him adjusting the movie has already failed.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #795
McSir
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Winter Soldier isn't the only worthwhile Captain America storyline, you know. There was a period of about forty years between Cap getting thawed and the Winter Soldier storyline, pretty sure there was one or two characters or storylines you could make a non-Winter Soldier movie with.
I agree, but with the way they handled Bucky in the first movie Winter Soldier kinda feels like a do it now or never type thing. It wouldn't resonate as much (if it does at all) if they waited until 20?? when Cap 3 comes out.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #796
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
From Toby Jones regarding Arnim Zola

Infinity Formula?

And from Hayley regarding Peggy
I'd say that could definitely have something to do with infinity formula, and furthermore part of BlackWidow being explored. Some big things we don't know about that went on between WWII and Avengers.

I've hinted at him trying to invent the infinity formula before in my posts but It'll be hard to find.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If they're going this way, BW is most certainly tied to it but it's fairly obvious at first glance and if you know the comics. One idea may be that he sort of botched it a few times... created inferior forms of it. Fury doesn't have the same formula Widow will receive... As in she doesn't have it yet, and in one idea neither does Zola. He's a cyborg at this stage... Able to live a little longer but still with biological parts... he still has yet to either find a way to live forever that works better than what Fury secretly has; or he needs to transfer his consciousness into the robot body within this movie. That's one avenue his experiments may take him and why I've been bringing up Simon Williams... A man Zemo/Zola save from prison and turn into Wonderman while figuring out certain secrets to the formula and how to transfer consciousness into a robotic body permanently..

I was talking about how Zola might need his robot body to survive all this time and was one of the people unfreezing Winter Soldier and activating him again. He needed to stay unfrozen so that he could give orders to others. But if he had continued to age, he might end up dying.

The actors who play them would age over time. So because Zola may most definitely be back in action and not just flashbacks, he needs either the robot body or some way to stay in action (possibly a combination of both and maybe even freezing and waking more frequently than Winter Soldier).

Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #797
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSir View Post
I agree, but with the way they handled Bucky in the first movie Winter Soldier kinda feels like a do it now or never type thing. It wouldn't resonate as much (if it does at all) if they waited until 20?? when Cap 3 comes out.
If he was a non-character, as you say, then they have the same problem if they do it after 3 years than if they did it after six.

Besides, they could have kept Bucky relevant by referencing him in Cap 2, without making him the main villain.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #798
McSir
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
If he was a non-character, as you say, then they have the same problem if they do it after 3 years than if they did it after six.

Besides, they could have kept Bucky relevant by referencing him in Cap 2, without making him the main villain.
Fair enough.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #799
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Been join through all of the concept artists websites that are listed on imdb's page regarding Thor: TDW and came across this storyboard/doodle.

Tom Nelson isn't listed on the cast and crew page of Cap 2 but a couple of the other concept artists from thor 2 are listed on cap 2. Anyway, probably nothin. Still on the hunt regardless.
Here is his site:
http://www.tomnel.net

Last edited by Guerrilla; 02-09-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: had to.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #800
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

McSir