The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #326
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: Kevin Feige says no to another Hulk Movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
What I'm saying is there's no *motivation* for a Civil War in the MCU. Civil War comes about in the comics as a result of massive collateral damage created by irresponsible supers (well, actually, by the irresponsible producers of a reality TV show, but hey, why confront Mark Millar with one of many, many, many plotholes), and causes the superhero community to address the age-old question of "who watches the watchmen." Again, the reason it's necessary in the comics is because so many superheroes have been acting as masked vigilantes with no oversight, and no way for innocent civilians to protect themselves or seek redress against above-the-law godlings who act as judge, jury and executioner on city streets.

That scenario in no way, shape or form exists within the MCU. (Yet.) Nobody in the MCU tries to hide their identity; nobody in the MCU is a vigilante; nobody in the MCU even acts as a crimefighter. Until you start getting that kind of superhero in the mix, there's no impetus for a Civil War. MCU heroes are generally known to the public (SHIELD agents notwithstanding; but they're government agents already) and have shown no indication that they want to go around acting like Spider-Man or Punisher or Daredevil, arbitrarily meting out justice on their own terms.
And even if you take into account more street level types engaging in various degrees of vigilanteism, the Registration Act is *still* moot, because the setting *already* has a law enforcement mechanism for dealing with superhumans. Its called "SHIELD", and its shown every sign of being able to see through the vast majority of secret identities anyone might try to hold, and the resources and legal authority to deal with superhuman criminals.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #327
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And even if you take into account more street level types engaging in various degrees of vigilanteism, the Registration Act is *still* moot, because the setting *already* has a law enforcement mechanism for dealing with superhumans. Its called "SHIELD", and its shown every sign of being able to see through the vast majority of secret identities anyone might try to hold, and the resources and legal authority to deal with superhuman criminals.
.... Lol shield operates just like the comics... People keep saying "(this) won't happen because (this) is like (this) in the movies" Jesus... Do people read the comics? Shield is public, shield is also higher authority than the military. Yet both still work together...and we are seeing the same exact thing in the movies. Though shield doesn't seem to be public just yet

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #328
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
.... Lol shield operates just like the comics... People keep saying "(this) won't happen because (this) is like (this) in the movies" Jesus... Do people read the comics? Shield is public, shield is also higher authority than the military. Yet both still work together...and we are seeing the same exact thing in the movies. Though shield doesn't seem to be public just yet
I have to wonder what movies you're watching, spideyboy....

SHIELD is public. SHIELD is known. They operate in the middle of Times Square, in Malibu, in small towns like Punta Viejo, NM, in Los Angeles, in India, in Brazil....in short, everywhere.

And SHIELD is not part of the United States government. At all. They are part of the World Security Council, which is the MCU version of the United Nations. Their authority exceeds anything from American government agencies, because they operate on a global scale. They don't coordinate with the US military; they coordinate with ALL the world's militaries. Again: they are the movie equivalent of the UN, only with actual teeth.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #329
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I have to wonder what movies you're watching, spideyboy....

SHIELD is public. SHIELD is known. They operate in the middle of Times Square, in Malibu, in small towns like Punta Viejo, NM, in Los Angeles, in India, in Brazil....in short, everywhere.

And SHIELD is not part of the United States government. At all. They are part of the World Security Council, which is the MCU version of the United Nations. Their authority exceeds anything from American government agencies, because they operate on a global scale. They don't coordinate with the US military; they coordinate with ALL the world's militaries. Again: they are the movie equivalent of the UN, only with actual teeth.
lol Obviously SHIELD is neither full public or completely in the shadows (hence why Stark, Pepper, and Jane Foster never heard of them) hell.. and Stark's father FOUNDED shield. However.... some others did.. like Banner and Selvig. Also... if they weren't completely "out" why would they need to camouflage the hellicarrier? basically SHIELD is on a "need to know" basis with the public.

as for not being part of the US gov (iive actually been agreeing with you on that) never said they've only worked with the US...

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 02-07-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #330
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
yes the US military is certainly aware of shield. but again, it's no indication of them knowing all about shield
My point is, SHIELD clearly does not operate 100% outside of the government without them being aware of them at all.

There is clearly some level of association and culpability here.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #331
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
lol Obviously SHIELD is neither full public or completely in the shadows (hence why Stark, Pepper, and Jane Foster never heard of them) hell.. and Stark's father FOUNDED shield. However.... some others did.. like Banner and Selvig. Also... if they weren't completely "out" why would they need to camouflage the hellicarrier? basically SHIELD is on a "need to know" basis with the public.

as for not being part of the US gov (iive actually been agreeing with you on that) never said they've only worked with the US...
I think what we're seeing is SHIELD *emerging* from the shadows during the course of the Phase I movies. At the time IM1 opens, I'd say nobody's heard of them; even Stark is in the dark (rhyme time, kids!). But by the time Avengers is over, that's pretty much changed. I'd liken them to the NSA --- everyone knows they exist, but nobody ever really seems to know where they're headquartered, where they come from, where they go, etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #332
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

i don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. I just think SHIELD deals with FAR more classified things.

[=]
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #333
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I think what we're seeing is SHIELD *emerging* from the shadows during the course of the Phase I movies. At the time IM1 opens, I'd say nobody's heard of them; even Stark is in the dark (rhyme time, kids!). But by the time Avengers is over, that's pretty much changed. I'd liken them to the NSA --- everyone knows they exist, but nobody ever really seems to know where they're headquartered, where they come from, where they go, etc.
im still not entirely sure the public knows shield in avengers... i mean, the hellicarrier was out to sea, not over land, no agents were battling in the city, and the Rocket from the security council is probably HIGHLY classified, i don't think the public would really fare well knowing there's a "world security council" that would easily blow up a city like NYC...

I don't really think there's any "public" evidence of SHIELD so far.. just need to know bases with characters.

[=]
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #334
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

I figure if Shield needs to use a cover when they are in the public (like in New York at the end Captain America) they could just say they are FBI or NSA, something like that.

However, Coulson didn't hide who he was from at all in IM1, and I think in Thor they were open about who they were as well? Selvig knew right away iirc?

In any event, in IM1 they were presented as a US outfit (Strategic Homeland intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division). Likewise in IM2, Thor and CA, there was no mention of them being an international organisation.

However in Avengers we see them act freely in both Germany & India, with Fury answering to a shadowy International 'Security Council', so with that in mind it does look like they are a United Nations sanctioned group and answerable to them, rather than the US government.

That would make sense: To build something as advanced and expensive as a Hellicarrier would be easier to achieve with international co-operation and financing, and with Shields brief being the handling of the very extra-ordinary (Super-Humans, super-tech and all that goes with it) that would require international co-operation as fully as is possible.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #335
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Maybe by "Homeland," they mean Earth, lol.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #336
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Speaking of Homeland, anyone think that SHIELD could possibly be the next Homeland and win any Emmy and Golden Globe awards plus critical acclaim?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #337
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Too soon to tell. But i won't hold my breathe

Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #338
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I figure if Shield needs to use a cover when they are in the public (like in New York at the end Captain America) they could just say they are FBI or NSA, something like that.

However, Coulson didn't hide who he was from at all in IM1, and I think in Thor they were open about who they were as well? Selvig knew right away iirc?.
Coulson also only has shown up when ssomething "super" occurred.... And needed to present himself. Iron Man, Thor....... Also it was selvig who told Jane who they were, i don't think coulson did. Coulson has only been open to tony and pepper really... .

[=]
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #339
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Or it could simply be that the US founded SHIELD, and other nations bought into it, gaining executive influence in exchange for jurisdiction. Its the simplest, most logical explanation. . . particularly given that we *see SHIELD functioning as a government agency in the US.*

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #340
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

my guess is the new Hulk show is dead. Especially if SHIELD is picked up, i'm not sure how the continuity is going to be addressed..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #341
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
my guess is the new Hulk show is dead. Especially if SHIELD is picked up, i'm not sure how the continuity is going to be addressed..
I think the pitch was the Hulk TV show was gonna be a prequel to TIH, set in the time after he first became the Hulk and before he ends up in Brazil.

At the moment though Del Toro apparently hasn't been able to move forward with it, suggesting Marvel have changed tact with regards the big guy.

Personally, I don't think that's a bad thing. I can't see anyway another TV show, with it's obvious budget restraints, won't end up being a rehash of the Bixby formula (a 42 minute show, with 37 minutes of Banner getting himself into trouble and 5 at the most of the Hulk getting him out of it).

Next time we see the Hulk on film I'd like a more even balance, with the title character, the Hulk himself, given a proper personality for once.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #342
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Or it could simply be that the US founded SHIELD, and other nations bought into it, gaining executive influence in exchange for jurisdiction. Its the simplest, most logical explanation. . . particularly given that we *see SHIELD functioning as a government agency in the US.*
SHIELD is multinational.
It was *founded* multinational, out of the Strategic Scientific Reserve during WWII, and was comprised of all the Allied nations. The name changed some time during the 1980s to SHIELD, but it was still a multinational organization.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #343
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

.... I wonder if Whedon is predisposed at all to elevate the Hulk's personality in the next film.. the throwaway line of "puny god" was largely ignored in the crowd explosion over Loki getting pwned..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #344
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'd like a more semi-intelligent Hulk similar to his personality in Eath's Mightiest Heroes. But who knows.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #345
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I'd like a more semi-intelligent Hulk similar to his personality in Eath's Mightiest Heroes. But who knows.
I'd love to see Hulk get more lines, too. In fact, that could be shown as part of his progression: as Banner gets more and more control over his alter ego, his intelligence in the Hulk persona rises, too. Maybe not *quite* to "Professor" Hulk levels yet, but definitely closer to the "HULK SMASH!" levels we're used to in comics and cartoons.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #346
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

A less-talkative Planet/WW Hulk with at least average intelligence would be fine.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #347
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

The problem with a Planet Hulk movie is there is literally no need for Mark Ruffalo for 95% of the film. Played as a literally adaptation of the source. Also it would be crazy expensive to generate that much Hulk on screen for that long. It'd be a $300m movie.

So what changes would be made besides less Hulk? How do you have Banner on a foreign gladiatorial prison planet make sense?

If the events unfold out of Avengers 2 where Thanos is the villain an likely responsible for Banner being sent to "Planet Hulk" then why does he come back as the foe for Avengers 3 in a WWH style film?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #348
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If Hulk were to ever show up as a villain in Avengers 3(or at least confused as a villain for most of the film), do you guys think we'll see Leader and Abomination pop up maybe? It would at least be perfect for them to show up since they might not even be involved in a Hulk sequel if it's planned on being an adaption to Planet Hulk.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #349
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

A Planet Hulk movie would also be incredibly expensive. It would be mainly CGI.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #350
def28
Side-Kick

If the Marvel series continues its success until Phase 3 starts then there will be nothing to lose.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote