The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 6,968
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

I watched the first episode of USM of Netflix last night....uhhh...I liked the animation and look of the characters but that was it. Didn't care for Spidey's voice and the random Teen Titans like writing. And I liked Teen Titans.

__________________
Iron Man 3 - 8.5/10 | Man of Steel -7/10 | The Wolverine -9/10 | Thor: The Dark World - 8.5/10
Sci-Fi Space Adventure Returns 2014-15: Guardians of the Galaxy & Star Wars Episode VII
Hulk|Spider-Man|Superman|Hellboy|X-Men|Thor
A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick
 
bigdaddy313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 677
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Do you know what will be best though......

Greg Weisman gets back to marvel doing a new spider-man series where his villains are already established and he has 2 more years in high school and every season would be 1 year difference, so by the end of second season he graduates and by the third he is in college and continues from there.

And just because he is back in the Marvel Universe doesn't mean he shouldn't still stick in his own little corner.

SSM was restrained with limitations sure, but I believe it was good for the series as a whole and they could still do that for the new series.

But the difference is every character in the Marvel Universe exist and can visit gradually and referenced. And when they team up it will feel a whole lot special and be remembered as something that was truly awesome.

And Spider-man would be a great place to explore the streets, Marvel knights, Gang war with the Kingpin, Daredevil,Elektra and the Hand, just imaging and if any one that can do it, it is Greg Weisman.


Last edited by bigdaddy313; 01-08-2013 at 07:06 PM.
bigdaddy313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #28
Mr. Dent
 
Mr. Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,327
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

^ Yes, that would be the best. I don't have faith in Loeb to do that for whatever reason though. I really fee like Marvel snubbed the Spectacular crew and didn't show them any kind of respect at all for the great show they were able to put out.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Don't we all.

As far as your idea for him to be an adult, it just wouldn't work well in animation and to be honest with you it doesn't work that well in the comics either which is why you see Marvel constantly trying to redefine the character somehow. One of the great things about Spidey from the 60-70s was watching character deal with life as a young man with powers and taking responsibility. Responsibility as an adult and responsibility as a young man are two totally different things. By having him as a man in his mid-late 20s you limit a lot of the problems the character has to deal with because he's not necessarily obligated to anything. In high school you HAVE to go to school and deal with relationships and your parents. Same can be said of college I suppose. As an adult you don't have to deal with those things. I see no reason why Spider-Man wouldn't just commit full time to crime fighting as an adult. Also you would think Peter would have figured out a lot of things by the time he's that old. As a high school or college student there are still many things for him to learn and experience. Peter Parker the man just isn't interesting as Peter Parker the high school student. Not to mention a lot of younger viewers won't be as interested in watching a fully grown Spidey.

Best thing we could hope for in a new Spidey cartoon is...basically what Spectacular gave us. I'm hoping Marvel swallows its pride or whatever and hires the Greg Weisman and his crew again to make the next Spidey cartoon. I doubt they're under contractual obligation to Sony and there's no way Sony holds the intellectual property rights to a creative team. I really hope that Josh Keaton will be able to voice Spidey again as well. I'm not sure if Sony holds some kind of right to the likeness of his voice but I hope not. By the time a new Spidey cartoon is ordered Young Justice should be over so hopefully those guys will be free.

Seriously, that team was the epitome of what we'll get from a Spidey cartoon. I don't think Marvel could find anyone to do it better even if they wanted to. Best case scenario for us all is if Marvel acknowledges Spectacular and hires them next time. That would make me the happiest camper.
Why do you say making him an adult doesn't work? It worked for DECADES. Countless comics, 3 movies AND 3 animated series. This bizarre inexplicable need to make him a child is a RECENT phenomenon.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,506
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
Why do you say making him an adult doesn't work? It worked for DECADES. Countless comics, 3 movies AND 3 animated series. This bizarre inexplicable need to make him a child is a RECENT phenomenon.
It's about as recent as Amazing Fantasy #15.

Though, yeah, I wouldn't mind him in college or as an adult.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #31
Mr. Dent
 
Mr. Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,327
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
Why do you say making him an adult doesn't work? It worked for DECADES. Countless comics, 3 movies AND 3 animated series. This bizarre inexplicable need to make him a child is a RECENT phenomenon.
Uh I'm not denying it worked for comics or the movies I just don't think it's necessarily a great fit for cartoons these days.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #32
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31,595
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
If I had to rank all the different Spider-Man animated series, it would probably be like this:
  1. The Spectacular Spider-Man
  2. Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994)
  3. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series (2003)
  4. Spider-Man (1967)
  5. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
  6. Spider-Man Unlimited
  7. Ultimate Spider-Man
Here's mine
  1. The Spectacular Spider-Man
  2. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
  3. Batman Beyond (it's a Spidey show more than a Batman show)
  4. Spider-Man (1981)
  5. Spider-Man The New Animated Series
  6. Spider-Man Unlimited
  7. Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends (still my favorite Spidey voice)
  8. Spider-Man 67 (season 1 only)
  9. Ultimate Spider-Man
  10. Ralph Bakshi's Spider-Man

__________________
State Your Opinion on a Marvel Character, Part 1
If something is not a choice, but I do it, doesn't this mean I chose to do it instead of choosing to ignore it or to find an alternative? Aren't they all choices by the end of the process?
We're abusing our acronym privileges... ~ Sawyer
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
It's about as recent as Amazing Fantasy #15.

Though, yeah, I wouldn't mind him in college or as an adult.
He grew up. My point is that they felt some need to undo it.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,189
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
He grew up. My point is that they felt some need to undo it.
He grew up in the 616 universe in the comics. Every Spider-Man adaptation that featured a high school Spider-Man so far are not canon to the 616 universe. They were each set in their own separate universes so they technically didn't undo anything because there was no adult Spider-Man in the TSSM universe or the Marc Webb universe or even in the Ultimate Spider-Man universe prior to the start of each respective series.

In the case of TSSM, it was all about Spider-Man at the beginning of his career so obviously that they would set him in high school because that is where he was supposed to be at the time the show took place. He wasn't going to stay there forever though. He was going to grow more and more with each season and eventually reach his adult years.

You can't really ignore Spider-Man's early years. They are just as important to the character as his adult years. In fact, the only reason why the stories in his adult years are so great is because they all have a great backstory to build off of, which is the backstory of all his years as Spider-Man in high school.

The comics did grow him up and shows like The Spectacular Spider-Man and movies like The Amazing Spider-Man are both trying to bring the comics to life by making him grow up in the same way. They are not ignoring his adult years. Rather, they are looking to adapt Spider-Man's entire career as a superhero and that includes both the high school and adult years (or in the case of Spectacular Spider-Man, it was trying to do that but it got cancelled). I don't know Ultimate Spider-Man's reason for keeping him in high school though other than appealing to the little kids so you do have a point when it comes to that show.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I want to enjoy him in animation again. Every show so far has missed the mark in one way or another, with Spectacular being the best overall (its only real shortcoming in my eyes was artwork.)
So here's my wishlist:
1.-MAKE HIM AN ADULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His name is Spider-Man, not Spider-Boy. We've seen enough of him in high school. We watched him grow up, get his degree, get married, take a teaching position and embrace fatherhood. This insistance on turning him back into a child is getting really old.
2. - Peter & Mary Jane together! Let's skip past his unlucky in love days and put things right.
3. - REASONABLY closer to the comics. Some creative freedom is fine but let's have a recognizable storyline. No more taking a little from Ultimate, a little from the movies, etc.
4. Spidey works alone! Guest heroes are fine but let's have them fewer and further between. And no more Spider-Friends!
5. Better art. Truth be told, the art quality was the only thing I liked about Ultimate.
6. More mature-themed than the 90's but not as far out there as the MTV series. I want him to throw punches but not curse every time something goes wrong.
I wouldn't mind something like this.

Of course I would choose more seasons of TSSM over a new animated series(and more seasons over more TAS-M sequels to be perfectly honest, lol), but if I can't choose more TSSM, then I would love something like this with an older Peter Parker dealing with more mature-themed situations(maybe he and Mary Jane already have a kid or kids?) with better artwork, but keep it in a serial manner such as TSSM with overlapping arcs and what not.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #36
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptron View Post
In Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne wasn't the heroic, selfless protaganist that we saw in Dark Knight Rises.
You should re-watch Batman Begins, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #37
Drakepool
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 472
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

I like Spidey as a teen. Makes him more relatable to me, which is what made him my favorite Marvel hero.

Drakepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You should re-watch Batman Begins, lol.
1-THIS ISN'T A BATMAN THREAD!!!!!!!!!
2-I think he was more heroic in Begins; in TDK he made a lot of mistakes and committed unnecessary crimes.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Just pointing him out into the right direction, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #40
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
Why do you say making him an adult doesn't work? It worked for DECADES. Countless comics, 3 movies AND 3 animated series. This bizarre inexplicable need to make him a child is a RECENT phenomenon.

It's far more interesting to watch someone grow and develop than remain stagnant and unchanging. This is why USM (the book) became so boring to me. It ran for what, Ten Years? Parker remained 16 the entire time.

Bendis said that his theory was that Parker was like Bart Simpson, he should stay at one unchanging age.

I couldn't disagree with this more. One of the best parts of reading the Lee/Ditko ASM was seeing Parker growing and changing and reaching new milestones.

Parker as a teenager is ONE part of the character. Let's learn to move the character forward.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #41
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
It's far more interesting to watch someone grow and develop than remain stagnant and unchanging. This is why USM (the book) became so boring to me. It ran for what, Ten Years? Parker remained 16 the entire time.

Bendis said that his theory was that Parker was like Bart Simpson, he should stay at one unchanging age.

I couldn't disagree with this more. One of the best parts of reading the Lee/Ditko ASM was seeing Parker growing and changing and reaching new milestones.

Parker as a teenager is ONE part of the character. Let's learn to move the character forward.
THis is my argument. You know what comes to mind? The Ninja Turtles. THis is a franchise that truthfully never goes anywhere. It keeps getting reinvented over and over because there's nowhere for the characters to go. THe first word in the title ("Teenage") limits them. They're always gonna be kids doing the same thing over and over. You can only eat so much pizza before the fans get bored. Most creators realized this a long time ago. Robin was allowed to grow up. The X-Men were allowed to grow up. Spider-Man was allowed to grow up.
I reiterate, one of the main aspects of Spider-Man's appeal is his RELATABILITY. His readers didn't stay one age forever; neither should he.




Oh-and as for the "Bart Simpson" argument-I've gotten kinda bored with him too.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!

Last edited by Chris Wallace; 01-30-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #42
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,189
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
THis is my argument. You know what comes to mind? The Ninja Turtles. THis is a franchise that truthfully never goes anywhere. It keeps getting reinvented over and over because there's nowhere for the characters to go. THe first word in the title ("Teenage") limits them. They're always gonna be kids doing the same thing over and over. You can only eat so much pizza before the fans get bored. Most creators realized this a long time ago. Robin was allowed to grow up. The X-Men were allowed to grow up. Spider-Man was allowed to grow up.
I reiterate, one of the main aspects of Spider-Man's appeal is his RELATABILITY. His readers didn't stay one age forever; neither should he.




Oh-and as for the "Bart Simpson" argument-I've gotten kinda bored with him too.
I agree with everything but I would like to correct you on the Turtles. They are in their very early 30s in the current comics. So technically, they were allowed to grow up too and they have "teenage" in the name so I don't see why Peter can't be allowed to grow up especially considering that he has "man" in his title.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #43
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

I didn't know that about the Turtles because I gave up on them so many years ago. Last time I checked they were still children. But nevertheless your argument is valid. It's Spider-MAN.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #44
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31,595
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
It's far more interesting to watch someone grow and develop than remain stagnant and unchanging. This is why USM (the book) became so boring to me. It ran for what, Ten Years? Parker remained 16 the entire time.
Started 15, turned 16

__________________
State Your Opinion on a Marvel Character, Part 1
If something is not a choice, but I do it, doesn't this mean I chose to do it instead of choosing to ignore it or to find an alternative? Aren't they all choices by the end of the process?
We're abusing our acronym privileges... ~ Sawyer
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #45
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

After which they killed him off.
I also want JJJ to be a character and not a prop. I'd hav eno objection if they kept Simmons or even brought back Asner.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #46
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome
 
Spider-Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,386
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

I just wish, now that Young Justice got canceled, that Marvel/Disney would just suck it up, make a deal with Sony, hire Weisman, and pick up with Season 3 of Spectacular Spider-Man.

__________________
... and get off my lawn!!!



The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #47
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,189
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

For all those that want a good Spider-Man animated series again, you have to remember this: You won't be getting one till USM get cancelled. So the first step would be to wait until that show gets cancelled. Nothing will happen till then.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #48
spida-man
THE AMAZING
 
spida-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: on the web :P
Posts: 3,909
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

In a perfect words where we get a new series, I'd want one using the exact same art and animation as what is shown here:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
"Uncool! Do you know what these Spider-Suits cost?!"
spida-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #49
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,038
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

I loved the designs of Spectacular Spider-man, sure, some characters like Green Goblin could have been done better, but the designs fitted Spidey perfectly, and since it was simple it was easy to animate, leading to more fluid movements and awesome fight scenes.

So many prefer Ultimate's designs, i don't enjoy them that much, it's the same type of designs we've seen in a thousand cartoons, while Spectacular's gave it an identity, and the fight scenes don't even compare.

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #50
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: I want a new Spidey Animated series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
For all those that want a good Spider-Man animated series again, you have to remember this: You won't be getting one till USM get cancelled. So the first step would be to wait until that show gets cancelled. Nothing will happen till then.
We all are aware of this. But they cancelled a good show & replaced it with a crappy one. We're expanding on that premise and saying how they could fix it. I personally still think the chief reason why they 86'd Spectacular is because it had similarities to the Raimi movies; the origin, the action style, some images being ripped right from the screen and replicated in animated form. And I think Ultimate, like the reboot, was designed to appeal to the "new generation" of Spidey fans.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.