Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #951
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Any reason for seeing or not seeing a movie is legitimate according to each individual. I saw Transformers 3 in theatres entirely for the CGI sequences. I avoided Anna Karenina because I can't stand Keira Knightley. I sat through all 100 miserable hours of Tron Legacy because the soundtrack was fantastic. I will see DOFP *solely* because Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy are reprising their roles and because I still have this impossible dream that Ottman is not returning to destroy all the quality music Henry Jackman introduced to the series.
I disagree, that all excuses are legitimate (If you want to listen to the Tron Legacy soundtrack and didn't think you would like the movie, listen to the soundtrack), but 2 out of the three you mentioned are pretty legitimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #952
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
She wouldn't make any sense in these movies though...
From a story point of view, Magneto never had children in these films, and if they suddenly decide to make it so that he did, I think we've got too much going on in DOFP to suddenly explain his fatherhood.

From a studio POV, a studio that hasn't hidden the fact that it's chosen characters specifically for their powers, introducing another metal bender seems counter productive...
The Polaris thing was obviously a joke hence the
An introduction of the Polaris character would most likely mean some interaction with Havok and I'd rather they spent those precious running time on characters that I actually care about (ie. some of the more exciting characters from the original trilogy, at least from the first two movies).

Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #953
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I disagree, that all excuses are legitimate (If you want to listen to the Tron Legacy soundtrack and didn't think you would like the movie, listen to the soundtrack), but 2 out of the three you mentioned are pretty legitimate.
I didn't see Tron *for* the soundtrack though, I saw it cuz I thought it might be good. Couldn't get a refund on the ticket so I stuck around for the audio experience. Hey, it was already paid for .

On the opposite side, a bad soundtrack can ruin a movie as well. While I love Hans Zimmer and his work on BB and TDK, his DKR soundtrack had so many overbearing crescendos that I could barely concentrate on what was going on onscreen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
The Polaris thing was obviously a joke hence the
An introduction of the Polaris character would most likely mean some interaction with Havok and I'd rather they spent those precious running time on characters that I actually care about (ie. some of the more exciting characters from the original trilogy, at least from the first two movies).
Haha my bad. People tend to use the tongue-y smiley for so many situations that it's hard to tell when it's a joke

Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #954
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

I haven't really heard a soundtrack that ruined a movie. I understand your point, but at worst a soundtrack to me if just unmemorable but it never takes away from the experience to me. Maybe it's because if I don't care for a score my mind subconsciously just ignores the score.

Quote:
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #955
def28
Side-Kick

Sometimes modern music in period pieces can come close to ruining a film for me. Its more just like those moments in the film, but man I hate when musics used out of context and the time period just to be hip. Doesnt matter over a good story though, just annoying.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #956
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I'm not a fan of CGI living creatures in general (unless they're played by Andy Serkis, it seems). I saw Life of Pie recently and though I really enjoyed the movie I couldn't help being distracted by the CGI animals, particularly the tiger. And with The Hobbit, among other things I was disappointed with was how heavily it relied on CGI for its creatures. So if I really minded that I'd be skipping a lot of movies.

Can't really think of a time I thought a movie was ruined by the soundtrack, though There Will Be Blood came close.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 02-09-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #957
Lord
All Mighty

X-Men: DofP won't have bad CGI, believe it

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #958
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I'm not a fan of CGI living creatures in general (unless they're played by Andy Serkis, it seems). I saw Life of Pie recently and though I really enjoyed the movie I couldn't help being distracted by the CGI animals, particularly the tiger. And with The Hobbit, among other things I was disappointed with was how heavily it relied on CGI for its creatures. So if I really minded that I'd be skipping a lot of movies.

Can't really think of a time I thought a movie was ruined by the soundtrack, though There Will Be Blood came close.
Agreed about the CGI and TWBB, I had forgotten about that one. I haven't seen Life of Pi yet but oh man, the Hobbit... that Azog Orc guy was pretty horrible. I heard he was meant to be an actor in costume like the orcs from the old trilogy but they decided he wasn't "intimidating" enough. It's a shame, every time he was onscreen you could tell they had blown the CGI budget entirely on Gollum (with outstanding results in that department, he was bloody fantastic!). Things like the rabbit sled were pretty awful too, and even the hedgehog wasn't great...

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #959
Lord
All Mighty

Azog looked badass, some seem to be complayining just to for the sake of it, the way he looks now is much better than how he was originally supposed to look.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #960
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:

No one is qualified to determine for other people what a "good enough" reason is for their viewing preferences. It's akin to telling someone they aren't "a TRUE fan" of something. So if I decide that I don't want to see Jack because the Giants are distractingly bad, that is a good enough reason for me to save my 10$ for a different flick.
That's very pedantic and shallow. But whatever, good for you.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #961
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
I wouldn't get your hopes TOO high up dude. They've been "trying" for X4 for the past 8 years. I imagine they'll see how DOFP turns out at the box office and try to pitch for X4 then.

I kind of do hope it happens though. In an ideal world I'd love a Singer-directed X4... clearing the way for a Vaughn-directed FC3. Though after he bailed I'm not sure he'd ever come back/they'd want him back.
It's a strong possibility that we're all missing the point of Lauren's tweet. Could it be that X-Men: Days Of Future Past IS X4 as far as the studio is concerned? Think about it. There's absolutely no technical reason why it can't be. It is obviously picking up after X3. And Bryan Singer is picking up with it. She said it was "coming" as in coming soon. There's no logical reason she'd be referring to a project dropping 3-5 years from now.

I think X-Men Days Of Future Past is a working title just like X-Men: The Last Stand.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #962
def28
Side-Kick

Agreed

Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #963
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
That's very pedantic and shallow. But whatever, good for you.
It really isn't. A trailer is designed to lure you in, usually pulling a couple of the best shots from the movie or a few great lines that will stick with you. There will always be the occasional bad trailer for a great movie (Pixar in particular seems to have trouble with dull trailers for superb films). But at the very least, a trailer should be able to put its best VISUAL foot forward. If people only went to the movies for the "plot and characters", Expendables would have made pennies at the box office, Fast and the Furious would not be counting up to part 6 and 7, the slasher era would have ended with Scream, and we wouldn't have annoying ads on this site reminding us that DieHard 5 is a great alternative to boring traditional Valentine's Day festivities.

Just as people will always go see movies for the explosions, people will just as easily avoid movies for certain reasons (like cringeworthy CGI). And that is OKAY. It isn't "pedantic" or "shallow". It's just personal preference.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #964
The_Shadow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I haven't really heard a soundtrack that ruined a movie. I understand your point, but at worst a soundtrack to me if just unmemorable but it never takes away from the experience to me. Maybe it's because if I don't care for a score my mind subconsciously just ignores the score.
The Amazing Spider-Man had a terrible score and soundtrack.

Idk if it ruined the movie for me, but it made it hard to like.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #965
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Guys!!!!!

Lauren S. Donner has answered on twitter about X-men 4!!! after a full month without tweeting

says "trying!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
It's a strong possibility that we're all missing the point of Lauren's tweet. Could it be that X-Men: Days Of Future Past IS X4 as far as the studio is concerned? Think about it. There's absolutely no technical reason why it can't be. It is obviously picking up after X3. And Bryan Singer is picking up with it. She said it was "coming" as in coming soon. There's no logical reason she'd be referring to a project dropping 3-5 years from now.
So did she say "coming" or "trying"? If it's "trying", it makes no sense for it to refer to DoFP.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #966
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

I don't want to see Jack the Giant Killer because I think it looks crappy.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #967
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
So did she say "coming" or "trying"? If it's "trying", it makes no sense for it to refer to DoFP.
His post said "it's coming". I've opened a discussion on it here:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=452759

Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #968
Project862006
Banned User

reviews and audience reports says it's quite solid tho singer recently screened it at a college so he and fox must be confident of it

Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #969
Angamb
Banned User

Lauren has tweeted again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #970
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
His post said "it's coming". I've opened a discussion on it here:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=452759
The poster said it's coming, but the actual tweet mentioned in the post said "trying".

Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #971
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
This news is amazing to hear. it means LSD has and most likely other are trying to convince Fox to develop an X4. All Fox need in order to greenlight this project is for the fans to show support for the movie. If we show them that we would still like this movie then the next logical step is for the movie to go into active development.
They should have greenlighted it a few years ago! Like as if casual viewers are more interested watching a solo Wolverine flick or another prequel that is going to tell the backstory of a X-Men character.

Look at Fast / Furious. Tokyo Drift didn't do much at the box-office but when they brought back the original cast for the 4th/5th film, the franchise reached its peak.

Quote:
She wouldn't make any sense in these movies though...
From a story point of view, Magneto never had children in these films, and if they suddenly decide to make it so that he did, I think we've got too much going on in DOFP to suddenly explain his fatherhood.

From a studio POV, a studio that hasn't hidden the fact that it's chosen characters specifically for their powers, introducing another metal bender seems counter productive...
Yes, plus the cast is already huge. So they should save Polaris for another movie.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-09-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #972
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Sometimes modern music in period pieces can come close to ruining a film for me. Its more just like those moments in the film, but man I hate when musics used out of context and the time period just to be hip. Doesnt matter over a good story though, just annoying.
I was just talking about music score alone made for the movie, of course.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #973
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Shadow View Post
The Amazing Spider-Man had a terrible score and soundtrack.

Idk if it ruined the movie for me, but it made it hard to like.
Yeah I didn't like that.

But what ruined the movie for me was the camera-shots.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #974
psyonic
X-Man

I like how Bryan Singer said each character has a function in DoFP and they're not there just to fill up the screen or billboards. I'd rather have few characters and character developement than to see random mutants stand around doing nothing for the story.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #975
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Days of future past I will bet you Is what Lauren shueller Donnor meant when she talked about showing X4 treatment to fox and they loving It.If DOFP Is success the question Is will next film be a X-Men sequel without First class cast or will they do the final Fist class film.

One problem on this board Is some complain about roles of certain characters yet want to flood the screen with more characters and bring back cast of both trilogy and first Class.

Closed Thread