The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #526
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
It's hard to believe that it's all over...

January 19th 2011 was when we found out about Anne's involvement. I was excited, anxious and very apprehensive about it all for obvious reasons. This was a powerful character from my childhood and the main reason for my Michelle love.

But Anne really rocked it. Any flaws (and they were very minor) was completely Nolan's. In fact she was so good, I'd love to see more... More Catwoman and less of Nolan's Cat-burglar. But oh well...

I love the suit, adored the hair and found Anne to be sexy, strong, sensual and captivating in the part. She hasn't knocked Michelle from her perch (Is there even an actress alive who could do that for me?)... but Anne just slinked her way into my heart as my second favourite Catwoman.

Just my final feelings on it after watching the movie again last night.
Yeah, I remember all the anticipation as well throughout 2011 and 2012, when various set pics were released and we were all looking forward to her portrayal. It does seem all over quickly. It would be great to have that anticipation for Anne in the role of Selina again for a spin-off/ prequel.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #527
JackWhite
Third Man

I still can't believe the first official picture of Anne as Catwoman was that awful picture of her on the bat-pod. That was such a fail when you look at all the other great stills we got of her later on.

Her scene with Bruce at the charity ball is one of my favorite "character interaction" scenes of the trilogy.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #528
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I remember how unimpressed I was with the look they gave her just from that first official photo, maybe they did it on purpose to get us riled up.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #529
Polaris23
Side-Kick

I'm surprised it was a shot from the climax of the movie.

Check it out:
www.PolarisCastillo.com
&
www.facebook.com/makeLovetomeinSpace
Polaris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #530
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Yeah, I remember all the anticipation as well throughout 2011 and 2012, when various set pics were released and we were all looking forward to her portrayal. It does seem all over quickly. It would be great to have that anticipation for Anne in the role of Selina again for a spin-off/ prequel.
The hunger for footage and photos was incredible. Us wanting devoted Catwoman trailers, the frustration at the lack of photos and delaying her in the marketing, etc. Sitting down to watch the movie for the first time, seeing the maid and bar scenes for example, my head was racing. The audience was loving it. I just thought, wow, Anne nailed this big time like I knew she would. Just like how Ledger came through the doubt shining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstasy View Post
Just rewatched TDKR.

I like Anne's portrayal more and more.
She's amazing.

Not long until I claim the Hot Toys figure.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2

Last edited by AnneFan; 02-10-2013 at 01:46 AM.
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #531
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I still can't believe the first official picture of Anne as Catwoman was that awful picture of her on the bat-pod. That was such a fail when you look at all the other great stills we got of her later on.
What I don't get is what Anne said after she heard about the negative reaction to the picture;

Quote:
"What I am happy to say is, if you didn't like the photo, you only see about a tenth of what that suit can do," she promised.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/goss...ght-rises.html

What else could the suit do apart from have those razor heels?

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #532
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
What else could the suit do apart from have those razor heels?
In my opinion, I don’t think the tenth thing is to be taken too literally. I think she just wanted to get across there’s more to the aesthetic than what you see. Don't judge too early kind of thing. In the first still released the goggles were down and the 'looking like ears' thing was only an idea. People didn’t know for sure. People wanted some form of cat motif. The 'it's just a woman wearing black catsuit' arguments were in full flight.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #533
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

What's ironic is that she only has the goggles down for probably about 15 seconds of total screen time, and it's actually a really cool look when she does.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #534
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Look at the thought that was put into The Joker and Bane's reveal... yet Catwoman's was so throwaway.

I know they released it because they would be shooting in plain sight the next day ans it's always better to release a professional still... but even so, it was just a bad photo.

I still think that the character was completely wasted from a marketing standpoint.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #535
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I will agree that there was no hype for the character before the movie came out. This was odd and kind of dropping of the ball on Warner Bros.'s part. I mean c'mon, after Batman and Joker, Catwoman is probably the most iconic character in the Bat-mythos. Certainly, the second most iconic Bat-villain. But other than one cool moment in the trailer ("there's a storm coming") no emphasis was put on her.

Part of the reason I think that people were lukewarm about Hathaway in the role was because the marketing did very little to convince otherwise. Then, after the movie was released, the one thing that people all over agreed upon was how great Catwoman is in the movie. Nothing else got that kind of universal praise which was the closest to the response that TDK got (though not nearly as strong).

It shows that it could have stirred more. Then again, the movie did as well as it could given the unfortunate circumstances and did not need more hype. Oh well.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #536
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Look at the thought that was put into The Joker and Bane's reveal... yet Catwoman's was so throwaway.

I know they released it because they would be shooting in plain sight the next day ans it's always better to release a professional still... but even so, it was just a bad photo.

I still think that the character was completely wasted from a marketing standpoint.
I agree with this more and more now that time has passed and I think about it. They didn't use her to their advantage at all with the marketing especially to the female film-goers, it was all really lackluster to be honest.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #537
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I agree with this more and more now that time has passed and I think about it. They didn't use her to their advantage at all with the marketing especially to the female film-goers, it was all really lackluster to be honest.
Exactly... the character looked and sounded underwhelming in the marketing. Awesome in the movie (as everyone points out), but lacking a strong presence in the actual promotion.

That little poster of Catwoman's heel smashing Batman's batarang was great... and that sexual, playful aspect should have been played up more. The kiss on the poster in shape of the bat symbol was genuis.

Most of what we got was images of Catwoman on the batpod... which just doesn't scream CATWOMAN.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #538
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

So when is the Hot Toys Catwoman coming out? I haven't seen any personal pictures yet.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #539
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
I still believe the marketing for the film as a whole was fairly poor, especially compared to the marketing treatment TDK received. TDKR wasn't really hyped up until literally 2 weeks before its release. Letting us know a tad more about catwoman might've helped. That and maybe some viral marketing, but oh well.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #540
ChrisB
Batman News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
So when is the Hot Toys Catwoman coming out? I haven't seen any personal pictures yet.
Next month according to Sideshow Collectibles:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=...es#HotToysItem

Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #541
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

That is one of the most spot on toys I've ever seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #542
zanos
Banned User

Quote:
Exactly... the character looked and sounded underwhelming in the marketing. Awesome in the movie (as everyone points out), but lacking a strong presence in the actual promotion.

That little poster of Catwoman's heel smashing Batman's batarang was great... and that sexual, playful aspect should have been played up more. The kiss on the poster in shape of the bat symbol was genuis.

Most of what we got was images of Catwoman on the batpod... which just doesn't scream CATWOMAN.
That's because she never looked like Catwoman. If you dressed Bruce Wayne in swat body armor and a sky mask and called him Batman you'd have just as hard a time marketing him as that character.

zanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #543
JackWhite
Third Man

http://i.imgur.com/TgDPn.jpg

or

http://www.batman-online.com/news/13...8_catwoman.jpg

should have been the first image of Catwoman for TDKR promotional teaser.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #544
Victarion
Cut

I remember not being all that excited about Catwoman in the build up; Bane is who I was excited for. After seeing the film, I enjoyed both equally. Their backstories--Catwoman and Bane--really would have made great viral marketing material.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #545
kvz5
HBIC

To be fair, some of the great Catwoman stills (like this http://i.imgur.com/TgDPn.jpg) were filmed later on in the shoot so I understand why we didn't get that first. However, there were still quite a lot to choose from that would've been better than the Spy Kids one. The stllls of Catwoman behind the bars were shot in London so they could've at least showed that first. That or even the shot of her beating up some of the mercenaries when she brought in Bruce Wayne and "saved" Fox.

I still find it sad funny that they rushed to release a pic because they knew pics of her riding the Batpod down the stairs will leak and that didn't even end up being in the movie.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #546
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
To be fair, some of the great Catwoman stills (like this http://i.imgur.com/TgDPn.jpg) were filmed later on in the shoot so I understand why we didn't get that first. However, there were still quite a lot to choose from that would've been better than the Spy Kids one. The stllls of Catwoman behind the bars were shot in London so they could've at least showed that first. That or even the shot of her beating up some of the mercenaries when she brought in Bruce Wayne and "saved" Fox.

I still find it sad funny that they rushed to release a pic because they knew pics of her riding the Batpod down the stairs will leak and that didn't even end up being in the movie.
I thought that was Nolan's revenge for the Talia pic.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #547
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Their backstories--Catwoman and Bane--really would have made great viral marketing material.
I concur!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #548
floreairfoot
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
I hope we get to see that shot someday.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #549
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Heh, I never even thought about that.

As far as aesthetics go, I still don't like her suit in the film, but I really dug Hathaway's performance in it, so that made up for a lot of it.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #550
HBKfan28
Side-Kick

Maybe with the Justice League movie possibly being pushed back, we'll get a Catwoman spinoff prequel before they reboot Batman. Doubt it, but you never know.