The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #51
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Thor 2 Fan Art & Manip thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
what location would you say this one is? Hela's palace? Can't be Muspelheim (look at the background)

the next to last one, whatever it is for, it kind of looks like a wedding ceremony, albeit a dark one, whatever it is - bride coming down the stairs in white, to the bridegroom, and priest/minister/whatever front and center. Hm.
(I kind of feel I should be posting my comment somewhere else, but I don't know which thread. So I will simply offer my apologies.)

Okay, connect the dots for me. . .what about the background precludes Muspelheim? Is it the sun streaming in from above? <shrug> Maybe there is a sun over that world. The subsequent picture shows streams of lava and a little bit of sunlight. So I'm not ready to rule out Muspelheim. Otherwise, maybe this is an area on Asgard for trolls? Nidavellir? Svartalfheim? (maybe the dark elves live underground on their world?)

Regarding the little gathering on the rock cliff, of course, not every culture uses white for the bride. (Doing a little poking around, it's not clear the Vikings had a special gown for brides, and I've seen the suggestion of the use of red in medieval times in Scandinavia.) The figure in white could be a priestess arriving for a ceremony, for example, such as some sort of sacrifice.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #52
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Okay, connect the dots for me. . .what about the background precludes Muspelheim? Is it the sun streaming in from above? <shrug> Maybe there is a sun over that world. The subsequent picture shows streams of lava and a little bit of sunlight. So I'm not ready to rule out Muspelheim. Otherwise, maybe this is an area on Asgard for trolls? Nidavellir? Svartalfheim? (maybe the dark elves live underground on their world?)
looking at the background, and zooming in too, it really looks like water not lava there, and snow capped mountains, Iceland basically , so that's why I was thinking it was probably not Muspelheim.

I was thinking at first that those statues were goats but there are claws there, with a globe held there, and fire coming from the top of the globe. and they have sort of a pleasant smile to the face, not gaping vicious jaws open. Little details, but interesting to me anyway. I think it might be meant to be Hela's palace, or I suppose could be Nornkeep.

Quote:
Regarding the little gathering on the rock cliff, of course, not every culture uses white for the bride. (Doing a little poking around, it's not clear the Vikings had a special gown for brides, and I've seen the suggestion of the use of red in medieval times in Scandinavia.) The figure in white could be a priestess arriving for a ceremony, for example, such as some sort of sacrifice.
oh, of course, just that's what the picture first brought to my mind, a wedding, if it was meant for Thor 1 I suppose it could have been for Karnilla and Balder.

btw, did we see that image before somewhere on a Thor 1 concept art link that you had brought up?

Last edited by elizah72; 02-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.
elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #53
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
btw, did we see that image before somewhere on a Thor 1 concept art link that you had brought up?
?? I don't recall posting a concept art link before. So perhaps this comment is directed at Guerilla?

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #54
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
?? I don't recall posting a concept art link before. So perhaps this comment is directed at Guerilla?
it was a while ago, I thought it was you, I don't know then... will try to look for it later I guess.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #55
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
it says under the environments gallery "some of my environment work i did... I will update this section soon with some existing new material i did for Thor 2" so I'd say those are probably not for Thor 2 but maybe some stuff that was drawn up and *early on* under consideration to be used for Thor 1, but wasn't used.

If that is meant to be Surtur there, he's quite different from the comics, in this artists interpretation.
well obviously a film version will look different. Which image are you referring to? Cause I think the last one is suppose to be Surtur, and to me, that's not TOO different. It's more of a monstrous version of Surtur, and I can see the comic influences in that. The horns are there, if that's our mcu Surtur, I'm pumped

Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #56
elizah72
Side-Kick

I think the last one was from the video game but I can't quite recall if that was Surtur or Mangog at the moment. I was thinking the one with the big troll-like monster and flaming sword might be Surtur.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #57
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Nope, I have the game. That last one was nothing like surtur OR mangog in that game. Surtur looked great in that game actually though and would work...with modifiction...the last image could be just concept art, but I mean, there is a decent difference

thats him in the game

Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #58
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

The last pic I posted (in my post with all of the concept art pics) was a google image that came up when I googled "Thor video game concept art" I just included it as a contrast to the first photo in the set I posted because I assumed that the first one was this guy's version of Surtur. The second image was what I thought was a concept of Kurse.

Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #59
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

WAYY too big to be Kurse. It did look like surtur though. no idea it was game art.

and that first one...that looked NOTHING like surtur lol dont know what he was thinking

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #60
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Well keep in mind just because it was created for Thor1 like MOST of the other Concept pieces, doesn't mean it can't be used further down the road.
Look at Avengers for Example.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #61
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
WAYY too big to be Kurse. It did look like surtur though. no idea it was game art.

and that first one...that looked NOTHING like surtur lol dont know what he was thinking
Just to be clear, I thought this first one was Surtur (mainly because of the sword and size)

and I thought this one might be a Kurse concept..

Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #62
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah I'm thinking that top one's Surtur and when he has horns he's in Armor.
That second one to ME looks more like a Fire Demon, AAA was quoted as saying Kurse had organic Horns and costume. That looks more like magma around that guy in the second pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Just to be clear, I thought this first one was Surtur (mainly because of the sword and size)

and I thought this one might be a Kurse concept..

....to every King.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #63
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Yeah I'm thinking that top one's Surtur and when he has horns he's in Armor.
That second one to ME looks more like a Fire Demon, AAA was quoted as saying Kurse had organic Horns and costume. That looks more like magma around that guy in the second pic
idk. I mean, that first picture looks NOTHING like Surtur. Don't want horns to be part of armor. He shouldn't need armor. He's a giant, and the ruler of muspelheim. In that picture he's fat, and too small. I figured he'd be smaller in the MCU. But not smaller like 80 feet. He should still easily be oer 150 feet tall. The only thing resembling Surtur in that first image is the sword. You can't tell me you would be happy with that being the final result..would you??

Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
elizah72
Side-Kick

It was mainly the sword and environment that made me think it was for Surtur. I wouldnt be too happy with that, no, but that could be why it wasn't used and was only 'concept art' For MCU purposes, they might not make him quite as big, and they may not make him look exactly the same. It sounds like Kurse is going to be quite different from the comics, and may not be quite as big either.

I was thinking the other was a fire demon, if it was meant for Thor/Thor 2.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #65
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
It was mainly the sword and environment that made me think it was for Surtur. I wouldnt be too happy with that, no, but that could be why it wasn't used and was only 'concept art' For MCU purposes, they might not make him quite as big, and they may not make him look exactly the same. It sounds like Kurse is going to be quite different from the comics, and may not be quite as big either.

I was thinking the other was a fire demon, if it was meant for Thor/Thor 2.
yeah, it's definitally Surtur art. the sword makes that clear, you're right. It just...I mean, no disrespect to the artist, cause the guy is talented, and that creature DOES look good. But as Surtur, it's just ugly.

We know Kurse is gunna have some CGI, and kurse varies in size a lot. I would say he is on average 7 feet, so yeah, not that huge. As long as he is even "a little" bigger than Thor, I would say that he will be similar in size to the comics. Surtur on the other hand, is 1000 feet tall lol. 1,000. I would be satisfied with anyone over 100. Big enough to say, fit thor in his hand. But a little bigger than that image. I did actually just notice that concept Surtur is crouched down, were he standing up right, his head would probably be out of the frame. Yes, he can be different, but there are some qualities to I him I am sure they wouldn't leave out..that being a somewhat humanoid body, his tail, and his horns

Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #66
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Surtur on the other hand, is 1000 feet tall lol. 1,000. I would be satisfied with anyone over 100. Big enough to say, fit thor in his hand.
IMO, Surtur needs to be big enough that it makes sense for him to call Thor "godling" (which, naturally, must happen). A mere 100 ft. tall strikes me as a little on the short side for that, but maybe it will work.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #67
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
IMO, Surtur needs to be big enough that it makes sense for him to call Thor "godling" (which, naturally, must happen). A mere 100 ft. tall strikes me as a little on the short side for that, but maybe it will work.

agreed, I am trying to be generous. i think that 160 feet or so would do him justice

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #68
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
idk. I mean, that first picture looks NOTHING like Surtur. Don't want horns to be part of armor. He shouldn't need armor. He's a giant, and the ruler of muspelheim. In that picture he's fat, and too small. I figured he'd be smaller in the MCU. But not smaller like 80 feet. He should still easily be oer 150 feet tall. The only thing resembling Surtur in that first image is the sword. You can't tell me you would be happy with that being the final result..would you??
Well Surtur in MYTH was described as being man-LIKE in form but covered in black soot. Besides if Marvel's trying to make him more explainable that wouldn't be too far off IMO

....to every King.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #69
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Well Surtur in MYTH was described as being man-LIKE in form but covered in black soot. Besides if Marvel's trying to make him more explainable that wouldn't be too far off IMO
Agreed, however, think about it in the comics, he's pretty man like anyway. He essentially has a complete humanoid body, just with a tail, red skin, and horns. A giant muscular man with horns, a tail, and red skin..and a head of fire..and there's 616 surtur.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #70
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Agreed, however, think about it in the comics, he's pretty man like anyway. He essentially has a complete humanoid body, just with a tail, red skin, and horns. A giant muscular man with horns, a tail, and red skin..and a head of fire..and there's 616 surtur.
With his head on fire how do you know what he looks like under the fire? lol
I've always thought Surtur and Dormammu were kin in some way. lol

....to every King.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #71
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
With his head on fire how do you know what he looks like under the fire? lol
I've always thought Surtur and Dormammu were kin in some way. lol
as have I. and idk, just sort of assumed lol, but he does have a very..human like body...and I'm sure MCU surtur would be more..monstrous, I suppose.

I don't care how they do him, but for an MCU Surtur, this is what I would want

-Over 150 feet tall
-Dark Red skin, with maybe some black
- Tail
-Head/parts of his body engulfed with flames

They can make him human like, or completely creature like, like in the other concept art for surtur in the game, fine by me, as long has he has those 4 qualities I just mentioned, I'd be happy

Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #72
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Kirby's Surtur, to be honest did NOT have the fire over the head and looked more Goblin like with horns. I guess it depends on the artist, but in that case I'm SURE Marvel would want to have an easliy explainable Creature.
Quote:
as have I. and idk, just sort of assumed lol, but he does have a very..human like body...and I'm sure MCU surtur would be more..monstrous, I suppose.

I don't care how they do him, but for an MCU Surtur, this is what I would want

-Over 150 feet tall
-Dark Red skin, with maybe some black
- Tail
-Head/parts of his body engulfed with flames

They can make him human like, or completely creature like, like in the other concept art for surtur in the game, fine by me, as long has he has those 4 qualities I just mentioned, I'd be happy

....to every King.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #73
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Kirby's Surtur, to be honest did NOT have the fire over the head and looked more Goblin like with horns. I guess it depends on the artist, but in that case I'm SURE Marvel would want to have an easliy explainable Creature.
yeah. I mean, Kirby's Surtur always slips my radar, not a fan of it.

This is essentially my favorite look for surtur

(just providing the link instead cause it's a massive picture)

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3...r001011mi1.jpg

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #74
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
yeah. I mean, Kirby's Surtur always slips my radar, not a fan of it.

This is essentially my favorite look for surtur

(just providing the link instead cause it's a massive picture)

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3...r001011mi1.jpg
Yeah he does look pretty bad*** there. Except for the flaming underpants lol. Otherwise that would be awesome!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #75
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Yeah he does look pretty bad*** there. Except for the flaming underpants lol. Otherwise that would be awesome!
I thought flaming underpants were pretty bad***