The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #576
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Judge Dredd doesn't need an annoying comedic sidekick who wets themself.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #577
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
With these sales it doesn't seem like Dredd will get a sequel, i guess the future of the character on the big screen is inexistent
The Bluray is still in good spot, so we'll see...

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #578
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Judge Dredd doesn't need an annoying comedic sidekick who wets themself.
Agreed. The best comedy Schneider gave us can be found in the behind-the-scenes featurette on the DVD where he falls face 1st down the length of the Hall of Justice stairs, right onto his face. It was a real ouchy but Stallone just carries on and drags him up by his jacket.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #579
Spark
Side-Kick

I wasn't aware of that. Is that the real reason he was in a stretcher at the end?

Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #580
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I wasn't aware of that. Is that the real reason he was in a stretcher at the end?
He was injured by the ABC Warrior wasn't he?

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #581
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

He was shot in the gut by it several times (and somehow survived...)

Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #582
Spark
Side-Kick

"i can do eeeet!!"

Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #583
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
The Bluray is still in good spot, so we'll see...
They've auctioned off everything though. I highly doubt there will be one

Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #584
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Something worrying for me is that, at least at the stores around here, the film's taken a dramatic price drop. The Blu Ray 3D copy I got had $40.00 with another sticker over it saying $30.00 and then another reducing it to $25.00. I hope it's just the store being generous and not people overlooking the film and them wanting to get rid of their stock.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #585
Spark
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
They've auctioned off everything though. I highly doubt there will be one
I'm not sure it matters either way but I'm pretty sure they didn't auction off everything. I couldn't say for certain though.

E: Well I can say that for certain. I just don't think they auctioned off all the 'big' stuff.

Last edited by Spark; 02-13-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #586
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Speaking of auctions, could they not have picked up some of the old Stallone movie props at a knock-down price and used them as background set dressing to give us more of a traditional MC-1 look? The more 'down-to-earth/District 9' visual of MC-1 was my one and only beef with the movie.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #587
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I dont know, the look of MC-1 has definately grown on me, as has the look of the judges, I hated both at first, but then seeing them in the movie it all seemed to click.

IF a sequel happens (and it is still a big if), maybe a bigger budget would change things a bit, but I wouldnt mind them keeping the look of the first movie at all.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #588
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^I dont know, the look of MC-1 has definately grown on me, as has the look of the judges, I hated both at first, but then seeing them in the movie it all seemed to click.

IF a sequel happens (and it is still a big if), maybe a bigger budget would change things a bit, but I wouldnt mind them keeping the look of the first movie at all.
I'd encourage it, I loved the set design and atmosphere of the film.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #589
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

I didn't like the cityscape design myself. Too open with vast distances between the mega-blocks, which were all rather plain looking. And the vehicle design, or lack thereof since they used current day vans & cars, was also something I didn't care for.

Prefer the almost claustrophobic atmosphere of closely packed blocks with an array of odd designs (like the oval types for example), with highways high above the ground joining everything up. And the blocks being named after celebrities was something I missed as well.

So for me, Stallone's Dredd did a better job on designing MC-1, but Urban's did a far better Dredd.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #590
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

I don't know, I feel a mix of the two cities would have been better. Both had their good aspects, design wise.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #591
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I'd encourage it, I loved the set design and atmosphere of the film.
Well I loved the set design and atmosphere as well, but I doubt the majority of any sequel would be restricted to one tower block, so some changes would definately have to be made in that regard.

The Lawmaster has probably grown on me the most out it all though, I hope they keep that the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
I don't know, I feel a mix of the two cities would have been better. Both had their good aspects, design wise.
I think a mix might have been better, but they needed the budget they had for the rest of the movie, so I honestly dont mine what we got, in fact I liked the majority of it.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #592
Lamper

Personally I dont see the selling off of movie props as an indication of whether there will or wont be a sequel. Bigger issues at play

If one was made they will obviously redesign certain things from the first movie that was limited by budget.

Anyway the movie is out in Japan in a few days and that box office will blow us all away

Lamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #593
The Sarge
Greatest DP ever

X-men sold off a bunch of it's props after the first film, and they're still making sequels.
They had to keep renting the prof X chair back from the guy they sold it too.
THis happens with most films, because they can't afford to just put all set and costume peices for every movie in a storage container somewhere. Usually they are either thrown out, recycled, or auctioned off.

The Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #594
The Sarge
Greatest DP ever

* and on the subject of Production Design, I recall reading (hearing?) that the space between the Mega blocks was to help demonstrate how massive they were in comparison to the rest of what we would call an average city. I think it totally worked and really helped sell the immense size and scale.
While I also missed the more Sci-fi look of the comics, the film ending up really selling itself to me by the end. Stallones world-while looking cool- never feels grounded. The armour looks either like plastic, or just useless and lumpy. The Block war at the beginning? It feels cramped. It's hard to estimate just how far up the criminals are from dredd. It all feels like cramped sets, carefully angled so we can't see the 2x4's holding them up. To me at least.
I still love the art direction on the first- I even think the Judge outfits look cool. I'm just saying it doesn't feel. . . well. . . .
Giving things a more modern look not only helped keep costs down on the film, but also helped relate to it as a more possible future. seeing our cars and clothing helps insert ourselves into the situations. All the while, I never felt like the film felt too modern, and I never felt it lost that 2000 ad feel. I went in expecting the PD to be the worst part about the film, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Although I still don't like the bike designs.

The Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #595
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I don't think they had the budget to make MC-1 look like the Stallone version. The filmmakers probably went with the District 9 look because it was cheaper.

If they had the budget I could see them going for a Blade Runner cityscape. The overcrowded, down and dirty futuristic cityscape would work well for Mega City One in live action.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #596
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I dont know, they said from the start they were going for a more grounded, gritty and realistic world, similar to most comic book movies these days, so if the movie would have had a $100 million budget I dont think too many things would have changed with regards to the PD.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #597
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Saw this recently. As a standalone film, I'll give it a 6/10. Not great, but a fun movie worth seeing once. Urban did a fantastic job.

That being said, this movie turned me on* to Olivia Thirlby, so I'll bump that rating to an 8.5/10.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Aw yeah!

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #598
grout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
Saw this recently. As a standalone film, I'll give it a 6/10. Not great, but a fun movie worth seeing once. Urban did a fantastic job.

That being said, this movie turned me on* to Olivia Thirlby, so I'll bump that rating to an 8.5/10.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Aw yeah!
hmmm,,So your saying Olivia is a 2.5 on the scale

grout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #599
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout View Post
hmmm,,So your saying Olivia is a 2.5 on the scale
What? No. 2.5 isn't indicative of her quality (I'd say a 9/10), just that she was able to bump my enjoyment of the movie from mediocre to great.

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #600
grout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
What? No. 2.5 isn't indicative of her quality (I'd say a 9/10), just that she was able to bump my enjoyment of the movie from mediocre to great.

LOL,, no i was just messing around,,trying to get you to bump your overall Dredd score.

grout is offline   Reply With Quote