Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #51
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
well, depends on what you are calling "Lead Actress" (there's no hard definition for what that even means).

If it was, say, for awards attention, no, Halle Berry would most likely not be submitted for "Lead Actress" consideration, she would be submitted under "Supporting Actress." If you are talking in terms of "Female Lead" which is what a casting director might call a female role, then no, she would certainly not be discussed as the "Female Lead". The role of Storm is a second or third female-lead role depending on the movie.

Patrick Stewart was the first billed among all the cast in the first two films. Was he the "lead" in those films?
Well there's a difference between a "lead actress" and a "lead role". Halle Berry was the lead actress of X3 purely because of her name but not her role in the movie. Thats the same with Patrick Stewart. He won't get billed first in X1 if it wasn't for his name or his reputation in the movie industry. Studios do it all the time to help sell the movie.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #52
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Unfortunately, for those of us who want Storm to return in some capacity, Days of Future Past makes it very easy for her to be absent. She could very well be killed between films, which would only speak to the devastating nature of the dystopian future.
Yup.

Also, the fact that she was made the new leader in the last film would actually be an indicator that she will have died in this one, seeing as both leaders of the X-Men in the comic (Professor X and Cyclops) were dead in the future. It adds to the chaos.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #53
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Well there's a difference between a "lead actress" and a "lead role". Halle Berry was the lead actress of X3 purely because of her name but not her role in the movie. Thats the same with Patrick Stewart. He won't get billed first in X1 if it wasn't for his name or his reputation in the movie industry. Studios do it all the time to help sell the movie.
The real craziness will be this: who the hell will get top billing in Days Of Future Past? You have Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Anna Paquin, etc.

I pity the poster designer that has to fit all of that s*** into one frame.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #54
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Actually I agree with much of what you said, especially what I bolded above.

However, Halle Berry was the top billed actress in the credits. It's her face that was pushed to the front of all the marketing materials, posters, promo and trailers, etc. Yes, it was an ensemble film series, but when people look back it is Hugh and Halle's star power that dominated the most.
Halle has always been the first billed actress in the X-men series. Was the this "lead actress" in X1 and X2? No, for the first films, the "ensemble" is billed alphabetically - Berry, Janssen, Marsden, Romijn. Patrick Stewart must have had it in his contract that he billed first in the films (which changes once the contracts had to be renegotiated). Anna Paquin receives the "and..." credit which is a "prestige" credit reserved for a respected or know actor.

Berry most likely had it in her X3 contract that she receive above the title billing with Jackman (this may have been one of the reasons her contract took so long to negotiate).

Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #55
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

How about alphabetical order?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #56
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Ive always found funny how some fans or users use to say Storm's role on the trilogy was pointless or that we dont know anything about her, but then we have characters like Colossus, Kitty, Angel or even Bobby that didnt have a great arc on the trilogy at all.

ok, Bobby had the scene at his home with his family, but thats it. thats not the biggest role of the world you know, lol.

Storm had more solid lines than Bobby, but yet the fans keep saying Storm role was pointless.

I can understand some hate Halle, ok, everyone has their feelings, but... Storm had a decent role in the trilogy. Colossus, Angel, Cyclops and Kitty fans cant say the same, sadly.
I think people just expected more from Storm than Iceman. She always had a big role in the comics, cartoons, she's more popular than Iceman in general and she's the most well-known female character in the X-Men universe.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #57
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
. Anna Paquin receives the "and..." credit which is a "prestige" credit reserved for a respected or know actor.
Can you imagine the heads that would explode if Halle Berry got the "and..." prestige credit for a cameo in this upcoming film? Halle haters worldwide would take up arms. Oh lord Jesus deliver us all now. LOL

Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #58
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
I think people just expected more from Storm than Iceman. She always had a big role in the comics, cartoons, she's more popular than Iceman in general and she's the most well-known female character in the X-Men universe.
Not just in the X-Men Universe. In Marvel 616 Universe PERIOD. She is Marvel's Wonder Woman.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #59
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
no, in X1 and X2 it had nothing to do with selling the movie. The cast list is in tiny print on the posters and the films don't even have an opening credit cast list! Remember, Patrick Stewart was also billed first in X2.

I actually provided some kind of useful, relevant information to back up what I was saying regarding this pointless "lead actress" discussion...hint, hint.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #60
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Not just in the X-Men Universe. In Marvel 616 Universe PERIOD. She is Marvel's Wonder Woman.
You're right. She's more popular than Black Widow, Elektra, Ms. Marvel, Invisible Woman and Wasp and I just realized Marvel doesn't have a lot of female characters that could rival the star power of Spider-Man and Wolverine.

Quote:
no, in X1 and X2 it had nothing to do with selling the movie. The cast list is in tiny print on the posters and the films don't even have an opening credit cast list! Remember, Patrick Stewart was also billed first in X2.

I actually provided some kind of useful, relevant information to back up what I was saying regarding this pointless "lead actress" discussion...hint, hint.
I don't care about your argument but any casual viewer (back in 2006) who sees Halle Berry's name at the top of X3's poster, would think she's the lead actress of the movie. It doesn't matter how big her role is, but thats what the studio wants people to think.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #61
def28
Side-Kick

Jean Grey, Kitty and Rogue are just as popular as Storm in the comics. Personal preference determines, but I would always argue Jean will win in a popularity contest.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #62
Angamb
Banned User

and should we remember that she was a Teacher on Xavier's school?

but no no, that isnt important in the x-men universe, that's pointless

Storm fans, be happy you had Storm in three movies with a decent presence.
Again, Colossus, Kitty, Angel and Cyclops fans didnt have that.

lets move on

Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #63
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
You're right. She's more popular than Black Widow, Elektra, Ms. Marvel, Invisible Woman and Wasp and I just realized Marvel doesn't have a lot of female characters that could rival the star power of Spider-Man and Wolverine.

Yep.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #64
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Jean Grey, Kitty and Rogue are just as popular as Storm in the comics. Personal preference determines, but I would always argue Jean will win in a popularity contest.
You think so? Nah. Besides Jean is dead...and she's dead everywhere. 616. Ultimate. Movie-verse.

If you were to stop some common joe-blow moviegoer on the street and ask them to identify each heroine, Storm would be the most readily recognized.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #65
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I would agree Rogue was most Important Female character In X-Men and Jean Grey was
most Important female Character In X2.

We don't even know If Storm will be In DOFP or not.We will know for good withen the next couple of months.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #66
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ive always found funny how some fans or users use to say Storm's role on the trilogy was pointless or that we dont know anything about her, but then we have characters like Colossus, Kitty, Angel or even Bobby that didnt have a great arc on the trilogy at all.

ok, Bobby had the scene at his home with his family, but thats it. thats not the biggest role of the world you know, lol.

Storm had more solid lines than Bobby, but yet the fans keep saying Storm role was pointless.

I can understand some hate Halle, ok, everyone has their feelings, but... Storm had a decent role in the trilogy. Colossus, Angel, Cyclops and Kitty fans cant say the same, sadly.
They are all a bunch of supporting characters just like Storm. I'm not sure what your point is. Why do people complain that Storm's character is pointless? Well, maybe they had high expectations for her. Some people don't realize that ensemble films are very hard to write well and like in the X-men lead characters emerge (films just work better in general with a strong protagonist instead of a bunch of co-leads/ensemble).

Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #67
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
You think so? Nah. Besides Jean is dead...and she's dead everywhere. 616. Ultimate. Movie-verse.

If you were to stop some common joe-blow moviegoer on the street and ask them to identify each heroine, Storm would be the most readily recognized.
We talking comics or movies? Jeans back in 616. Either way Id probably still argue Jean. Storms def one of the heavy hitters though. Not denying that in any way.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #68
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
We talking comics or movies? Jeans back in 616...
She is? Which book? I didn't know. I haven't been reading for several months.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #69
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
She is? Which book? I didn't know. I haven't been reading for several months.
All New X Men, good stuff.

Its the original 5 in modern times. Beast brought them to show them what happened as a result of AvsX. Its the best X Mens been in awhile. Jeans great.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #70
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
and should we remember that she was a Teacher on Xavier's school?

but no no, that isnt important in the x-men universe, that's pointless
Yes, and Cyclops and Jean seem to teach a joint class or something in X1 too. Really scintillating character development there!

Bobby is a student at Xavier's school and has a cat! Jean likes to wear a red shirt! Look, I found some important details too!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #71
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
They are all a bunch of supporting characters just like Storm. I'm not sure what your point is. Why do people complain that Storm's character is pointless? Well, maybe they had high expectations for her. Some people don't realize that ensemble films are very hard to write well and like in the X-men lead characters emerge (films just work better in general with a strong protagonist instead of a bunch of co-leads/ensemble).
basically Im trying to say what you have just said.

Storm is a supporting character, with the lead being Wolverine.

And since this is an ensemble franchise, Storm fans should be more than happy that she appeared in the three movies and had a decent presence during the whole trilogy, unlike most of the other supporting characters.

Who should complain more? Storm fans? or Collosus ones? or Kitty's ones? or Cyclops ones? or Angel's ones? or Rogue's ones?

thats the point

Storm had a good role, without being the lead. No need to complain about her role or blame Halle.

well, those are two points

and this isnt just an aswer to you, but to many users complaining and blaming Halle.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #72
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

Plus Storm is also popular in videogames. While Psylocke is more popular in the videogames than Rogue, Jean Grey and Shadowcat.

Quote:
We talking comics or movies? Jeans back in 616. Either way Id probably still argue Jean. Storms def one of the heavy hitters though. Not denying that in any way.
I was talking about the entire X-Men universe and that includes the cartoons, the videogames, the whole X-Men franchise.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #73
Lightning Strykez!

Well, I'm off to bed. It was a pleasure chatting with all of you knuckleheads as usual. Hopefully we'll have some casting news soon to put all of this stuff to rest once and for all. Maybe tomorrow?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #74
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't care about your argument but any casual viewer (back in 2006) who sees Halle Berry's name at the top of X3's poster, would think she's the lead actress of the movie. It doesn't matter how big her role is, but thats what the studio wants people to think.
I just really don't understand your point. So what? This entire discussion started when I claimed Storm had a pointless role. I have no idea what this term "lead actress" you've created has to do with what I was saying, but either way, let's just end the discussion here

Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #75
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was talking about the entire X-Men universe and that includes the cartoons, the videogames, the whole X-Men franchise.
Video games I can see Strom being more popular, though being The Phoenix in MVSC3 is pretty rad. But for Movies and comics Jean Grey has the lead on every other X Girl imo. She was pretty much the female lead through all the X Men movies, the first X Girl in the comics and the whole Phoenix and love interest of Cyclops thing gives her a pretty big edge with alot of fans.

Last edited by def28; 02-10-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Closed Thread