The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pimp that C-lister

wouldnt be surprised if all the new warriors wind up there..

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #27
Kitsune
Fox of Ages

I liked Machine Man before they turned him into a Bender rip off.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Rage is coming back......in Avengers Arena.
When was that revealed?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #29
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

It wasn't. I was just messing with THANOSRULES and making a mockery of the entire concept of Arena.

In other words, it was a big, fat .

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

The Trapster, AKA Paste Pot Pete, will always have a place in my heart. I've had a soft spot for the guy every since that Spider-Man arc where Spider-Man went undercover as a super villain to get evidence that The Trapster had committed a murder that Spider-Man was framed for. The story portrayed him as a chronically depressed career criminal/contract killer who hated his life but had at this point dug himself too deep to fix it. It also portrayed him as a complete badass throwing glue bombs and acid sprays at people like a boss. The Trapster's my boy.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
The Trapster, AKA Paste Pot Pete, will always have a place in my heart. I've had a soft spot for the guy every since that Spider-Man arc where Spider-Man went undercover as a super villain to get evidence that The Trapster had committed a murder that Spider-Man was framed for. The story portrayed him as a chronically depressed career criminal/contract killer who hated his life but had at this point dug himself too deep to fix it. It also portrayed him as a complete badass throwing glue bombs and acid sprays at people like a boss. The Trapster's my boy.
That actually sounds pretty intresting

Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #32
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Yup.

For a while now I've been thinking that a series about The Shocker, The Trapster, The Vulture, The Rhino, and The Spot as a team of bank robbers living on the road would make for a sweet read.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #33
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Character Changers:
Marvel has introduced many character who went through alterations until they finally hit the mark that made them iconic and interesting to readers.

Originally Banner became the Hulk at night, like a werewolf, and then went through a series of funky changes like having a Hulk body and Banner head, or being a mindless puppet Hulk that Jones controlled, before getting to the version where he became the Hulk when he was mad.

Paste Pot Pete became the Trapster.

The Fantastic Four (I hear) was originally intended to not wear costumes, and the Thing was always on the verge of going mad and becoming a bad guy.

Susan Storm was the Invisible Girl, who could turn herself or others invisible or create an invisible shield, but not all at once. Now she is the Invisible Woman, the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four who can do all that and more at once.

Wolverine was originally going to turn out to be a wolverine animal turned into a human and his claws were going to be attached to his gloves.

Nova was a teenage hero like Spider-Man, who then was turned into the Nova Corp, and now back to a teenage hero.

The X-Men were reintroduced, from what I hear, years later by Claremont after the original run was canceled. Introducing new character with more interesting powers and looks, and that creted the idea to widen the mutant world.

Jean Grey was Marvel Girl, who had some telekinetic powers, but evolved into having great telekinetic powers and mind reading powers, and then they made her the Pheonix, and she would keep going back to that persona.

Beast was an acrobatic guy with large hands and feet, who morphed into a big gray, then blue, furry beastly guy. Then later he turned into a most cat like guy, and now is more ape like.

The Tinkerer was originally an alien who was planning an invasion until Spider-Man stopped him.

Wonder Man was a guy brought back to life as a villain who was super strong and nigh invulnerable. Later he was killed and brought back again, and they changed him to being pure energy who would usually be in his solid human form.

Scarlet Witch was a mutant with the power to cause the probability of something happening up to making it happen, like a pipe bursting. Later she became a super witch with reality warping powers.

Not Marvel: But Aquaman and Hawkman have been altered so many times trying to find the right version of their characters.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #34
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nova was a teenage hero like Spider-Man, who then was turned into the Nova Corp, and now back to a teenage hero.
I think it's a bit worse than this ..although your not wrong.

Rich has basically been put through this regression several times.

At the end of Nova Vol. 1 Rich was basically going through an intergalactic conflict (the Skrull/Xandar war). He honestly could have been written as ever bit as a seasoned a Corpsman as he was by Giffen after / during annihilation.

Then he is basically a "kid again" in New Warriors vol 1..even going by "Kid Nova" which inflamed a lot of Nova fans at the time because he'd been through a lot as a character and shouldve been at a much more experienced point.

Then RIch goes through NW VOl 1 for 80 issues or so...bails out the Corps and sees the Nova corps whiped and he fixes them again..also bails out the universe from Dire Wraiths, Nebula, etc.. and really is every bit an older experienced hero...

...he gets turned right back to flipping burgers and age 18 in Erik Larsen's Nova series. Chewing bubble gum and dealing with pesky bullies. (Larsen even brought back his HS buddies)

Then we have annhilation..and an early beef of Nova in that series was, in DnA's mini, RIch is basically a run of the mill centurion (at first) when he should already be a god among the Corps and have a statue on Nu-Xandar.

Now we come full circle to this teenage hero again...i'm just thankful it's not Rider at this point.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #35
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Captain Britain was a character created by Marvel when they were expanding their market with new original comics for the fans in England. They thought to launch this they would create a Captain America for England, the problem was that the creators of Captain Britain were American, because back then getting information back and forth to and from England wasn't as easy as it is now. So they designed him and wrote stories that (I have heard) weren't very British. Luckily he was recreated by English writers and artists. Aland Davis even mentioned that the old design was sort of a joke because the yellow lion symbol (unless I am mistaken) was an Egg companies logo (or maybe a symbol for good eggs). His character and stories became different, he became a guy who (according to Claremont) could be this sort of arrogant dummy but also heroic and brave (and stuff).
So they took a character (who I am guess) was a C-Lister and made him better.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
I think it's a bit worse than this ..although your not wrong.

Rich has basically been put through this regression several times.

At the end of Nova Vol. 1 Rich was basically going through an intergalactic conflict (the Skrull/Xandar war). He honestly could have been written as ever bit as a seasoned a Corpsman as he was by Giffen after / during annihilation.

Then he is basically a "kid again" in New Warriors vol 1..even going by "Kid Nova" which inflamed a lot of Nova fans at the time because he'd been through a lot as a character and shouldve been at a much more experienced point.

Then RIch goes through NW VOl 1 for 80 issues or so...bails out the Corps and sees the Nova corps whiped and he fixes them again..also bails out the universe from Dire Wraiths, Nebula, etc.. and really is every bit an older experienced hero...

...he gets turned right back to flipping burgers and age 18 in Erik Larsen's Nova series. Chewing bubble gum and dealing with pesky bullies. (Larsen even brought back his HS buddies)

Then we have annhilation..and an early beef of Nova in that series was, in DnA's mini, RIch is basically a run of the mill centurion (at first) when he should already be a god among the Corps and have a statue on Nu-Xandar.

Now we come full circle to this teenage hero again...i'm just thankful it's not Rider at this point.
You left out the MC2 version when he (Rich Rider) appeared in the Spider-Girl comic. In that one he was the last of the old guard of the super hero world and was well respected for his experience and his power.

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #37
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
You left out the MC2 version when he (Rich Rider) appeared in the Spider-Girl comic. In that one he was the last of the old guard of the super hero world and was well respected for his experience and his power.
Yeah that was cool. I love Tom DeFalco.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #38
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Trapster still has never gotten a good motive for why he is a criminal in the first place. He invented a superior form of paste and used it to rob banks. His motive is greed, but they never explained why he never tried to market his glue in the first place. A superior form of paste works better for civilian use then crime. He had no reason for being a criminal in the first place, so I don't buy him as someone who is desperate and you need to give me a good reason to say why he dug that hole in the first place. He also got a pardon after his first attempted crime spree, so he needs a good explanation of why he returns to crime, he wasn't desperate after getting that pardon and he got himself out of that hole right there, so why does return to crime and why did he become a criminal in the first place.

Ironically the best Trapster story is not in canon, Traps" by Ken Grobe, a short story in the Ultimate Super Villains novel collection, where Trapster tried to reform, began to sell his glue under assumed name, got a girlfriend,etc. Then Wizard found out and tried to ruin Trapster's new life. Its a far more interesting story then the stories where he joins the Frightful Four or throws glue bombs at Spidey, because it gives you some insight the character and actually has him develop a bit.

Last edited by The Overlord; 02-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #39
shiva666
art designer

why the badoon? what can they bring then let's say the skrull?

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Toxin. Wishful thinking, biased, too. Just a fan of Eddie Brock. When they made him Anti-Venom, he actually developed a loyal fanbase. Marvel underused AV and took him away before he could reach an even higher status. Hoping Toxin (who Eddie is now) gets the same fan base treatment as AV did, and actually get a fair amount of usage this time around.

Also, why isn't Dormammu in the same league as Loki, Doom, and Thanos? He feels like he could easily be a S-tier threat, yet he's frequently absent from...pretty much everything.

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #41
Ant-manic
Banned User

i don't think Trapster needs some tragic backstory. his motivation is that he likes designing traps. he likes testing those traps on living breathing people. that's why he doesn't just market his glue and settle down to a nice boring life. the guy's a sadist and an action junkie. why do people latch onto memes? why do people tape themselves having sex? or destroying mailboxes? it's driven by society. if there were a bunch of successful costumed heroes running around, there'd be a bunch of people emulating them. and there'd be costumed villains. because that's just how some people are wired.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #42
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
i don't think Trapster needs some tragic backstory. his motivation is that he likes designing traps. he likes testing those traps on living breathing people. that's why he doesn't just market his glue and settle down to a nice boring life. the guy's a sadist and an action junkie. why do people latch onto memes? why do people tape themselves having sex? or destroying mailboxes? it's driven by society. if there were a bunch of successful costumed heroes running around, there'd be a bunch of people emulating them. and there'd be costumed villains. because that's just how some people are wired.
That's not how he is written though, he is not written as a psychopath who has no impulse control, his motive is simple greed, he doesn't stick innocent people into traps for his own sadistic amusement, he just robs banks and joins the Frightful Four to attack the FF, for some reason. If Trapster was a sadistic psychopath he might be more interesting, but that is not how he is written. I think some fans read things into the characters that are not really there.

He is like George Costanza of super villains, every instinct he has is wrong, his career as a super villain is a total failure. He became a super villain for no real reason when he could have become rich legitimately, most super heroes and villains treat him like a joke, people he considered friends like Shocker and Wizard tried to kill him, Norman Osborn betrayed him and he was the subject of nation wide man hunt, he picked a fight with Ghost Rider and got exposed to the Penance Stare. And after all that, he is not richer then he was when he started this. So he is not trying to do something different? Why is he taking on a team that beats Dr. Doom and Galactus on a regular basis? Why wouldn't he try to reform after all that?

Trapster masy not need a sob story, but he needs a better back story then "I invented this glue, better become a super villain now, mwa, ha, ha!" That is lazy writing.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #43
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
That's not how he is written though, he is not written as a psychopath who has no impulse control, his motive is simple greed, he doesn't stick innocent people into traps for his own sadistic amusement, he just robs banks and joins the Frightful Four to attack the FF, for some reason. If Trapster was a sadistic psychopath he might be more interesting, but that is not how he is written. I think some fans read things into the characters that are not really there.

He is like George Costanza of super villains, every instinct he has is wrong, his career as a super villain is a total failure. He became a super villain for no real reason when he could have become rich legitimately, most super heroes and villains treat him like a joke, people he considered friends like Shocker and Wizard tried to kill him, Norman Osborn betrayed him and he was the subject of nation wide man hunt, he picked a fight with Ghost Rider and got exposed to the Penance Stare. And after all that, he is not richer then he was when he started this. So he is not trying to do something different? Why is he taking on a team that beats Dr. Doom and Galactus on a regular basis? Why wouldn't he try to reform after all that?

Trapster masy not need a sob story, but he needs a better back story then "I invented this glue, better become a super villain now, mwa, ha, ha!" That is lazy writing.
i simply don't agree. and i know your other posting name, so i know who you are unfairly comparing Trapster to. he's quite successful for a sidekick villain. he has money (see: She-Hulks series & Spider-man appearances). he's not in prison. can you think of any appearance where he showed up w/ only half of his weaponry because of lack of funds? so what if Wizard and Shocker tried to kill him? they are villains. he has his place in the villain hierarchy. the only thing holding Pete back is his sparring partners. he has leagued up with he Frightful Four. they primarily menace he Fantastic Four; who regularly tangle with the likes of Galactus and Annihilus.

Pete's gotten plenty of experience facing the Four. he's improved a lot since his days as Paste Pot Pete. he needs a hero more on his level. i recommend Scott Lang/Ant-Man. i think they mirror one another. they are both intelligent people who got off on the wrong foot. they both have ties to the Fantastic Four. traps and insects go hand-in-hand. Scott's just clever enough to survive Trapster; bypassing security devices is his specialty. Trapster's skilled enough to give Ant-Man a challenge. they both walk away with their pride intact. it's also an opportunity to explore Trapster's motivation.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote