The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #651
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

She knows Tony, I think it's been established she won't live a normal life.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #652
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,752
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
She knows Tony, I think it's been established she won't live a normal life.
She's the CEO of his corporation. She expects, and everybody else (including Tony) expects her to do CEO stuff --- board meetings, running the company, earnings reports, the usual. She's not going to look very credible doing that flying around in a battlesuit --- in fact, that's part of the reason Tony stepped down to let someone else run the company.

Look, heroes endanger the lives of their loved ones by merely loving them....that's a fact of life that's been around since, like, fiction was invented. But few people have ever suggested going above and beyond normal protection for the hero's girlfriend, be it Pepper Potts or Lois Lane or Maid Marian or Miss Kitty from Dodge City. Hell, even real life heroes like cops and soldiers and secret agents endanger the lives of their loved ones simply by having plenty of enemies; but you don't see cops or soldiers running around putting bulletproof vests on their wives and kids, do you?

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #653
MichaelChen
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 302
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

I don't want Pepper suiting up either, but for different reasons. I think Stark needs a mundane, grounded character to contrast and play off of. Pepper works best if everything about her is mundane. She's a sensible businesswoman who runs the banal, day to day aspects of Stark Industries. Anything else ruins her role and is a shark-jump in my opinion.

MichaelChen is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #654
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,212
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
She's the CEO of his corporation. She expects, and everybody else (including Tony) expects her to do CEO stuff --- board meetings, running the company, earnings reports, the usual. She's not going to look very credible doing that flying around in a battlesuit --- in fact, that's part of the reason Tony stepped down to let someone else run the company.

Look, heroes endanger the lives of their loved ones by merely loving them....that's a fact of life that's been around since, like, fiction was invented. But few people have ever suggested going above and beyond normal protection for the hero's girlfriend, be it Pepper Potts or Lois Lane or Maid Marian or Miss Kitty from Dodge City. Hell, even real life heroes like cops and soldiers and secret agents endanger the lives of their loved ones simply by having plenty of enemies; but you don't see cops or soldiers running around putting bulletproof vests on their wives and kids, do you?

Have you been paying attention to the news this past week? When there is a direct, credible threat involving the families of law enforcement officers they do indeed provide them with increased security. In Tony & Pepper's case, the direct threat comes in the form of the Mandarin's attack. Prior to that Tony had no need to give Pepper a means to defend herself because no one had yet threatened her life directly for being his lover. Once that threat materialized, he had incentive to find some effective means of protecting her. Whether that comes in the form of an armor created expressly for Pepper or the temporary use of one of Tony's Iron Man suits is something we don't know at this point. Neither might be the case.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #655
HunBoy
Captain Hungary
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 432
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7



From Ironman 3 IMDB page.Who is Brandt? Ellen Brandt? Abigail Brand?

HunBoy is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #656
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,372
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunBoy View Post


From Ironman 3 IMDB page.Who is Brandt? Ellen Brandt? Abigail Brand?

Man-Thing in IM3?... I knew it!!

mkilban2 is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #657
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Did I miss something? No one actually said they thought Pepper would fight in the suit, right?

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #658
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,372
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Did I miss something? No one actually said they thought Pepper would fight in the suit, right?
someone a few pages back got a little agro over the topic.

mkilban2 is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #659
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,752
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
Man-Thing in IM3?... I knew it!!
Holy freakin' CHEEZ WHIZ.
I do believe you might be right.


Okay, caveat up front: It's IMDB, so the name may be total BS. In fact, it's likely.

BUT.

If true:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Ellen_Brandt_(Earth-616)

Works for AIM in South Florida.
AIM in IM3? Check.
South Florida in IM3? Check.

If a guy named Ted Sallis shows up in a cameo in this movie, imma freak out.

Well-played, Marvel....well-played.
Man-Thing might've just joined the MCU, y'all.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #660
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 27,506
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

lol wow Man-Thing wonder if Ploog will come back to life lol in IM3? lol

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #661
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,372
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Holy freakin' CHEEZ WHIZ.
I do believe you might be right.


Okay, caveat up front: It's IMDB, so the name may be total BS. In fact, it's likely.

BUT.

If true:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Ellen_Brandt_(Earth-616)

Works for AIM in South Florida.
AIM in IM3? Check.
South Florida in IM3? Check.

If a guy named Ted Sallis shows up in a cameo in this movie, imma freak out.

Well-played, Marvel....well-played.
Man-Thing might've just joined the MCU, y'all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol wow Man-Thing wonder if Ploog will come back to life lol in IM3? lol
honest admission: i had no idea who Brandt was so when I googled it to look it up I saw Man-Thing, which I also have no clue about. But I just wanted to be funny lol. Still wishing for Wasp, but that seems like a far-off dream. SWORD introduction seems logical with space movies coming up and past/future threats seemingly cosmic.

mkilban2 is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #662
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 27,506
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
honest admission: i had no idea who Brandt was so when I googled it to look it up I saw Man-Thing, which I also have no clue about. But I just wanted to be funny lol. Still wishing for Wasp, but that seems like a far-off dream. SWORD introduction seems logical with space movies coming up and past/future threats seemingly cosmic.
which also lead to Howard the Duck lol waaah

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #663
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 27,506
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
honest admission: i had no idea who Brandt was so when I googled it to look it up I saw Man-Thing, which I also have no clue about. But I just wanted to be funny lol. Still wishing for Wasp, but that seems like a far-off dream. SWORD introduction seems logical with space movies coming up and past/future threats seemingly cosmic.
By the way artist Mike Ploog was in the Scy-Fy Man-Thing movie, he died. lol

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #664
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick
 
Ultra Nolanite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
Call me a sexist all you like. I think it's stupid and camp to have a secretary with zero skills operating a high tech suit. Tony Stark is a mechanical/engineering genius who perfected the machine over the course of two movies. Rhodey is a veteran fighter pilot that has been trained to handle G-forces and air combat. MCU Pepper operating a Mark suit is out of character. These movies have some semblance of realism.

If you guys want to see Iron Woman, Iron Boy, Iron Dog, Iron Happy, and all that crap--so be it. I don't need to see a slender Mark suit with metallic shaped breasts. I'd rather they not pander to women by shoehorning in lame plot points from the comics. They did the same thing in TDKR by adding in rather pointless characters like Catwoman & Talia to appeal to the geeks/women. Characters that took away precious screentime from Bruce/Batman and turned a great villain into a well spoken goon. Just wait until Pepper killshots Mandarin to save the day and joins the Avengers.....

Give us a real woman superhero movie that doesn't hang on the coattails of established heroes like Iron Man, Batman, Daredevil, and Superman. It's hard not be sexist given that almost all women characters in comics are either sex objects or supporting characters. X-Men is the only one that stands out that is unique in that regard.
Yeah I agree with this guy. Sexist or not the problem is that the concept of Rescue is just stupid. Its stupid in the comics and will be stupid in the film.

Pepper already showed that she can hold her own in the previous films. Putting in armor would be the sexist thing to do.

"Here Pepper, you can't take care of yourself and you're a baby. Use this Armor I made for you or you'll die."

She's already depicted as a strong female.

Ultra Nolanite is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #665
Mr. Stark
Put On The Suit!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 187
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Anyone know is Leslie Bibb AKA Christine Everheart, the reporter from the first two will be back? She always gives the films a good comedic bit.

Mr. Stark is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #666
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell
 
Dr Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,211
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

I completely fail to see how Tony giving the woman he loves something to keep her safe when the **** hits the fan is sexist...

She may be a strong character who can hold her own in the boardroom and in banter with Tony... But that all amounts to jack **** when facing an army of aliens as Tony did in Avengers...

__________________
Dan Weldon
1978 - 2011
Dr Lee is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #667
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Yeah, giving her armor is not the least bit sexist. She's bound to be the target of someone trying to hurt Tony. Being a smart CEO is not going to save her in that situation, but having a suit temporarily get her out of danger is.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #668
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,752
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
I completely fail to see how Tony giving the woman he loves something to keep her safe when the **** hits the fan is sexist...

She may be a strong character who can hold her own in the boardroom and in banter with Tony... But that all amounts to jack **** when facing an army of aliens as Tony did in Avengers...
So now you want her on the front lines facing all the nasties that Tony does?

A good hero protects his loved ones the same way they've *always* done --- keep them out of harm's way in the first place. If Pepper gets to the point that she's an easy target for the bad guys and needs a suit of armor to protect herself, then she needs to start putting some distance between herself and Tony.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #669
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Nobody said she needs to be on the front line. The Rescue suit would be just that--a rescue mechanism. In fact, it's doing exactly what you said it should do, which is to keep her out of harm's way.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #670
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,752
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Nobody said she needs to be on the front line. The Rescue suit would be just that--a rescue mechanism. In fact, it's doing exactly what you said it should do, which is to keep her out of harm's way.
Keeping her out of harm's way is not putting her anywhere near the front lines in the first place. Again, if things have gotten so dangerous that she needs a frickin' suit of armor to live out her daily life, then it's high time she and Tony need to rethink their priorities and where this relationship is heading.

Lois Lane deals with worse **** than MCU Pepper Potts could ever dream of, yet neither she nor Kal-El think she needs some kind of special protection to keep her safe from all Supes' bad guys. Pepper needs to show some balls and man up, like Lois and Mary Jane and the rest of them do. Tony don't need no wimp.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #671
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,349
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
So now you want her on the front lines facing all the nasties that Tony does?
Why do you insist on claiming this is what everyone wants? No one has suggested this except you and Captain OMG It'll Roon Teh Moovie.

There is a massive difference between being protected/whisked away from danger and 'flying around shrieking & blasting aliens'.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #672
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Keeping her out of harm's way is not putting her anywhere near the front lines in the first place. Again, if things have gotten so dangerous that she needs a frickin' suit of armor to live out her daily life, then it's high time she and Tony need to rethink their priorities and where this relationship is heading.

Lois Lane deals with worse **** than MCU Pepper Potts could ever dream of, yet neither she nor Kal-El think she needs some kind of special protection to keep her safe from all Supes' bad guys. Pepper needs to show some balls and man up, like Lois and Mary Jane and the rest of them do. Tony don't need no wimp.
When you're dealing with a terrorist like Mandarin, where, exactly, are the front lines that she's supposed to stay away from?

Superman is an all-powerful alien who can hear a gnat fart from three universes away and can reverse said fart by flying around real fast. That's not exactly the same as a normal guy who builds fancy suits of armor.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #673
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,752
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Why do you insist on claiming this is what everyone wants? No one has suggested this except you and Captain OMG It'll Roon Teh Moovie.

There is a massive difference between being protected/whisked away from danger and 'flying around shrieking & blasting aliens'.
There's also a massive difference between being a strong independent woman who has the courage, resourcefulness and smarts to keep out of the line of fire, versus being a precious damsel-in-distress wuss who needs to put on iron underwear so the mean ol' baddies can't hurt her.

She doesn't need protection. Open your eyes, Rescue-ites. She's a stronger character than that.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #674
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,752
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
When you're dealing with a terrorist like Mandarin, where, exactly, are the front lines that she's supposed to stay away from?
Now you're starting to sound like Dick Cheney and George Dubya. "The terrorists are everywhere!" So we should all live our lives in fear and give up the freedom and liberty that we hold dear in exchange for "protection?"

The ONLY way to fight a terrorist is to take away his terror. Living your life day-to-day like you always do, and show that you're unafraid, is the way to fight terror.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #675
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,349
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
There's also a massive difference between being a strong independent woman who has the courage, resourcefulness and smarts to keep out of the line of fire,
Yeah. I guess she could avoid close proximity to Tony. And stay away from places he's been. And avoid his house. And cut off all contact with him whatsoever.

Maybe they should just get rid of supporting casts entirely since they're such a burden on the storytelling.

Also, my friends wife will love to hear that she's a pathetic, witless, damsel-in-distress every time he reminds her to put on her seat belt.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.