The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #426
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: First Look at Tomb Raider Reboot!?!

With the way Demo's have been of late from certain studio's it would have been a waste of resources . Looking at what happened with both Deus Ex: Revolutions and kingdom of Amalur Reckoning where the Demo's were poor representations and the fact that some of the people that worked on at least one of those two is on this ip it's likely to happen again and turn those that play the demo that look at demo's as as the full representation of the full game. those games were way better then the Demo's But too many people that played those demo's chose to look way after playing those demo's all due to them being bad.

oh well they should have straight up said that and not used the story excuse. I'd buy them not wanting to waste the resource money then this and some turn off fans cause the demo was poor.

Last edited by zenith16; 01-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #427
Havok83
Side-Kick

The achievements have been released and 25% will be devoted to multiplayer. Whats worse is there is one for reaching Level 60. Ugh, I hate when developers do that. It tends to turn into a grindfest and makes the MP not fun after that

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...ayer-component

Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #428
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

I HATE online trophies!
That's one more platinum I won't be getting.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #429
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Ugh, I hate them too. Hopefully it's fun because most games do feel like a grindfest, not just to get a high level, but also to complete the tasks that they want you to do for the trophies.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #430
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Online trophies are the wost.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #431
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Bloody hell. If ever there was a game where multiplayer was not a natural step. I really didn't expect an achievement/trophy like that in a Tomb Raider game.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #432
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I just realized that this is coming out in about 5 weeks. Can't wait. It's been my most anticipated game since it was revealed at E3 a couple of years ago.

I was thinking back to the demo issue, and I remember they had a playable demo at New York Comic Con, and even did a couple of longer live playthrough with IGN and at some other convention. It really makes no sense not to release a demo. It kinda makes me wonder if there's something we should worry about with the final build.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #433
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

That's what I'm worried about. That they may be affraid of giving us some gameplay because they're not totaly satisfied.

This game was a certain purchase for me for March, but now it will have to wait. I was really excited about it but their lame decision put doubts in my mind.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #434
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
That's what I'm worried about. That they may be affraid of giving us some gameplay because they're not totaly satisfied.

This game was a certain purchase for me for March, but now it will have to wait. I was really excited about it but their lame decision put doubts in my mind.
Exactly. This was a must buy for me too, but now I think I'm going to go rent it first. I might also wait for reviews.

I've listened to IGN podcasts in the past where they talk about developers who don't send out an early review copy and how it usually means that they're not proud of the game, and more often than not it turns out to suck. I don't know if they're doing the same with this game, but you'd imagine that they would want as many people to get a taste of the game as soon as possible. Just look at the recent news with the Last of Us getting a demo. Obviously that's more of a marketing decision to boost sales for God of War, but it still shows that they know people want to play it, and would buy a game just to try it out.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #435
zenith16
Side-Kick

Tomb Raider Lets You Revisit Previous Areas To Hunt For Artefacts And More. February 6, 2013 . 9:00am

Lara can use Fast Travel to revisit areas she’s already been to and explore them further to find artefacts that tell the story of the island she’s stranded on.

source:Siliconera

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #436
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

It could just be a matter of the fact that creating demos takes some time, and they'd rather just focus on the game it's self. That and I'm sure they're banking on the love of the franchise in general to spread the word. I hardly ever download demos so I'm not too concerned/bummed.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #437
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who?;25142467[B
]It could just be a matter of the fact that creating demos takes some time[/B], and they'd rather just focus on the game it's self. That and I'm sure they're banking on the love of the franchise in general to spread the word. I hardly ever download demos so I'm not too concerned/bummed.
The only problem with this is that they've already had playable demos out, like at NYCC, which was back in October.

I almost get the impression that they don't want people to play the game unless they've already spent money on it, which isn't too reassuring in terms of how they might think people will feel about the game when they play it.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #438
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Also, there are more than 60 minutes of gameplay out there with the IGN guys. They spoiled a lot with that, already. I don't really buy this "we don't want to spoil the story with a demo".

Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #439
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
Also, there are more than 60 minutes of gameplay out there with the IGN guys. They spoiled a lot with that, already. I don't really buy this "we don't want to spoil the story with a demo".
This too. I was at NYCC and saw the demo, which was pretty much the same stuff they showed at E3, which I think is the first 20-30 minutes of the game. So most of that has already been spoiled.

Also, the point of a demo is to try out the game and see how it plays and feels. The demo I saw looked great, but there's more to a game than just the visuals, and it just seems like they're trying to sell the game more based on its looks than its gameplay.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #440
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Here's a new demo/walkthrough. Still think its ironic that they wouldn't release a playable one. I haven't watched this all the way through because I don't want to spoil myself too much, but it looks like it'll be a solid game.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Also, speaking of demos, IGN has an article up about how the numbers prove demos hurt game sales, and I wonder if that's the big reason why we won't be seeing one for this.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #441
zenith16
Side-Kick

Tomb Raider Trailer Demonstrates Combat And Upgrading Weapons. February 21, 2013 . 1:30pm

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Square Enix have shared a new trailer for Tomb Raider, that shows off the game’s combat aspect.

source:Siliconera

Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #442
jacobed
Banned User

You guys are ridiculous with the no demo means bad guy. Lots of games dont release demos, its not that big of a deal

Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #443
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

No Demo would have been ok, if they didn't gave us the flimsy excuse, that a Demo would spoil too much. Seriously? After everything they showed off thus far, a Demo would spoil Story elements?

Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #444
jacobed
Banned User

Yeah its a dumb excuse. It would have been easier just to say no when asked.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #445
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Could they be more blatant in their attempts to sell this like they are Rockstar? The game looks good, but the way they are handling this pre-release makes them look unsure.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 02-22-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #446
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I think they are banking on getting people who were long time fans of the franchise to come back and check this out. The problem is that they are trying to push this new version of the series and start off big, but not giving people a chance to try for themselves, which forces people to either wait for reviews or just decide not to buy the game at all.

But I agree, it wouldn't be much of an issue had they not said anything. But with them coming out with the excuse of not wanting to spoil the story, it sounds like BS. But like that article that came out last week about demos said, that can hurt game sales so I'm sure that was the real mindset they had with not wanting to release a demo, especially if people aren't happy with the demo.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #447
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
You guys are ridiculous with the no demo means bad guy. Lots of games dont release demos, its not that big of a deal
Then you didn't understand the complain at all. It's not just about not having a demo. It's about they telling us that the reason for that is that they don't want to spoil the story even though there is more than 1 hour of gameplay out there.
We naturally start to wonder what the real problem is.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #448
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Could they be more blatant in their attempts to sell this like they are Rockstar? The game looks good, but the way they are handling this pre-release makes them look unsure.
Just because they're doing the narrated features trailer? I wish more game companies would do that. They're what sell me on the game. They got me to buy the incredibly blah Max Payne

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #449
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Just because they're doing the narrated features trailer? I wish more game companies would do that. They're what sell me on the game. They got me to buy the incredibly blah Max Payne
If you are going to do it, you need to do it as well as Rockstar. Also change it up, don't make it look so blatant. Smells of desperation imo. The strong studios all have there own style of selling games. I could tell you whether it is a Rockstar, Value, or Platinum game just by watching their trailers.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 02-22-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #450
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
PC Tomb Raider Will Be So Much Better Than Console, If Your Rig Is Up to It

Rejoice, computer gaming Tomb Raider fans — when Lara returns to her home turf this March she'll be bringing along a treasure trove of PC-centric bells and whistles that'll make the console versions look downright sad in comparison. Let's see if your system has the juice to run them.

Tomb Raider started on the PC, and Crystal Dynamics and Nixxes have every intention of giving the loyal keyboard-and-mouse set their just rewards this spring. PC gamers with the right specs will enjoy high resolution textures with up to 16 times the data of the console versions, detail tessellation to make surfaces pretty, higher quality shadows, some sexy HQ bokeh depth of field effects and improved cloth, SSAO, wetness and post-filter effects.

In short, it's going to be gorgeous, as long as your system falls within the recommended spec range.

Recommended system requirements for PC
• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
• DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM:
AMD Radeon HD 4870
nVidia GTX 480
• Quad core CPU:
AMD Phenom II X2 565
Intel Core i5-750
• 4GB Memory

You good? If not you've still got plenty of wiggle room between those lofty goals and the minimum requirements. Crystal Dynamics promises plenty of scalability options for folks with older machines. They even support Windows XP. Talk about raiding a tomb.

Minimum system requirements for PC
• Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
• DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM:
AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT
nVidia 8600
• Dual core CPU:
AMD Athlon64 X2 2.1 Ghz (4050+)
Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
• 1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)

Where do you fall in the system spectrum?
Source

Closed Thread