The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek World

Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Star Trek: The Original Series

A thread to discuss the classic original series starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: Star Trek: The Original Series

I learned everything I know about hand-to-hand combat from that show. How I am still alive is a mystery.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I'm not sure how many of us there are on this site....but I started watching Trek on it's original run in the 60's. Been a fan since the show started. While the sequels may have bigger budget and better effects...the original show will always be my favorite.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I'm not sure how many of us there are on this site....but I started watching Trek on it's original run in the 60's. Been a fan since the show started. While the sequels may have bigger budget and better effects...the original show will always be my favorite.
Same here. I can watch that show over and over whereas I probably would do so less for the other shows (although I have watched them a lot repeatedly too).

Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
C. Lee
SHH! Administrator

I've seen each of the original episodes dozens of times each. Partly because I love it, partly because it's been on longer.

I like all the series to different extents, but I haven't yet been able to watch all episodes of DS9 or VOYAGER. When they originally aired, the local station showing them stopped airing them after 4 years each. I guess they started costing them too much. I have managed to purchase all TREK series on DVD except for DS9. I am currently watching them in chronological order (I'm almost done with ENTERPRISE) and hope to be able to get the DS9 series by the time it's needed.

There's just something about the original series though....the show was breaking new ground in so many different ways....I love it.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

I too love the the original series which sometimes had serious tones & then campy plots, such as Tribbles. I love the sound effects on the bridge of the Enterprise & of course Spock's dry wit.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Figs
Banned User

When I was growing up I only saw a small handful of episodes but thankfully they have them all streaming on Netflix. My wife and I have been slowly watching them in between movies. It's great seeing how it all started before the movies.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Although I always say that DS9 is my favorite, there really is something special about TOS that I just can't explain. Its beautiful in every way. Its clearly made in the 60s, but I still get a sense of the future when watching it. When people bash it for its special effects, I think they are completely missing the point.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
SuBe
Voluntaryist

We watched "the Trouble with Tribbles" last night, such a great episode. I laughed so hard.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=290666
or http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=347909

"Everyday that Congress meets, you lose a little bit more of your Liberty"
SuBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Smegger56
The Smegginator

TOS had everything. IMO, the other shows never had the character dynamic that TOS had with Kirk, Spock and McCoy. When the others tried to emulate it, mainly with DS9 and VOY, it felt very forced.

TOS was fun, and a big part of that was those 3 characters.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
TOS had everything. IMO, the other shows never had the character dynamic that TOS had with Kirk, Spock and McCoy. When the others tried to emulate it, mainly with DS9 and VOY, it felt very forced.

TOS was fun, and a big part of that was those 3 characters.
As I may have said before in the TNG thread, those TOS characters were so effective because the writers weren't afraid to highlight their very human character flaws. Spock was arrogant and condescending (and self-hating, to some extent), McCoy was grumpy and stubborn, possibly slightly bigoted but in an amusing and pragmatic way. Those two really disliked each other in the TV show, that's been my observation.

Kirk was a borderline sexual degenerate and, when he made one of his moralistic speeches, a complete hypocrite as well. But these flaws made these 3 characters to relatable to the audience, who could recognize traits they could see in themselves.

Wheres in the post TOS universe, for some reason Roddz wanted the characters (the human ones at least) to never have any personal flaws. So you wound up with Bev Crusher, Laforge, Wesley Crusher, Troi, Ezri Dax, Harry Kim, Paris, Chakotay, Belanna Torres (the two most boring terrorists in history, apparently), Mayweather, Tucker, Sato and Reed. All those character you could switch their personalities and it would take you an hour before you'd notice the difference.

I'd almost include Riker on that list too, but he was such an amazingly effective first officer (the best XO in all of Star Trek IMO) that I give him a pass.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

The original series was also not so constrained by what seemed realistic or not. So you had plenty of fun episodes where the crew would visit a planet where anything could happen and it would be almost like having them planted into a completely different genre (eg Nazis, gladiators etc). You only really got those sorts of scenarios in a holodeck from TNG onwards (although it did have the fun Robin Hood episode).

From TNG onwards, the writers etc seemed to limit their imagination and were overly analysing what was realistic or politically correct. By the time it got to Enterprise, at least in the early episodes, that became extremely bland.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBe View Post
We watched "the Trouble with Tribbles" last night, such a great episode. I laughed so hard.
"It wasn't a tribble at all!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
As I may have said before in the TNG thread, those TOS characters were so effective because the writers weren't afraid to highlight their very human character flaws. Spock was arrogant and condescending (and self-hating, to some extent), McCoy was grumpy and stubborn, possibly slightly bigoted but in an amusing and pragmatic way. Those two really disliked each other in the TV show, that's been my observation.

Kirk was a borderline sexual degenerate and, when he made one of his moralistic speeches, a complete hypocrite as well. But these flaws made these 3 characters to relatable to the audience, who could recognize traits they could see in themselves.
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Wheres in the post TOS universe, for some reason Roddz wanted the characters (the human ones at least) to never have any personal flaws. So you wound up with Bev Crusher, Laforge, Wesley Crusher, Troi, Ezri Dax, Harry Kim, Paris, Chakotay, Belanna Torres (the two most boring terrorists in history, apparently), Mayweather, Tucker, Sato and Reed. All those character you could switch their personalities and it would take you an hour before you'd notice the difference.

I'd almost include Riker on that list too, but he was such an amazingly effective first officer (the best XO in all of Star Trek IMO) that I give him a pass.
I think initially, they were trying to make the characters too "perfect," as there was no conflict with other crew members like we saw in TOS. But I think they knew what they were doing didn't work, as they wrote Wesley Crusher off the show, and later added some relationship issues between Picard and Crusher, made a love triangle between Riker, Troi, and Worf (which didn't go anywhere in the end), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
The original series was also not so constrained by what seemed realistic or not. So you had plenty of fun episodes where the crew would visit a planet where anything could happen and it would be almost like having them planted into a completely different genre (eg Nazis, gladiators etc). You only really got those sorts of scenarios in a holodeck from TNG onwards (although it did have the fun Robin Hood episode).

From TNG onwards, the writers etc seemed to limit their imagination and were overly analysing what was realistic or politically correct. By the time it got to Enterprise, at least in the early episodes, that became extremely bland.
I think this is where the franchise ran out of gas. The reboot is what filled it up again, giving us a fresh new tank.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think initially, they were trying to make the characters too "perfect," as there was no conflict with other crew members like we saw in TOS. But I think they knew what they were doing didn't work, as they wrote Wesley Crusher off the show, and later added some relationship issues between Picard and Crusher, made a love triangle between Riker, Troi, and Worf (which didn't go anywhere in the end), etc.
Yeah, I sense that too. But by the time they got around to doing that, the fundamental insipidness of those characters had gotten so ingrained, it seemed like it was being forced or personalities were being retconned.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #15
Picard Sisko

I don't see it that way but oh well... to each his own.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Star Trek: The Original Series is my favorite version of Trek, and James Tiberius Kirk is my favotite character in Star Trek history. In my opinion, this is one of Jim's greatest moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ErkeFA-QWk

Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
C. Lee
SHH! Administrator

If PIXAR did Original TREK -

Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

^ That's utterly brilliant. Pixar & Paramount simply must allow this to happen!!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Without getting into spoiler material, can someone who's seen the newest film give a list of TOS episodes to watch in order to catch any references? Without listing why lol, just listing the episode title.

DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Gary Griffith
Side-Kick

I enjoyed TNG and DS9, but my Trek love has always been reserved for the Original Series. There's a great synergy among the big 3 that has never been equaled in the later versions.

Yes the FX is better in the later shows, and the scripts were more consistent in the future series, but that Kirk-Spock-McCoy dynamic has never been equaled.

It was like having James Bond (Kirk), Sherlock Holmes (Spock) and Dr. Watson (McCoy) at play in the sci-fi arena. Simply wonderful!

TOS will always hold a special place in my heart

Gary Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
cabel
Side-Kick

Just watched "A Piece of the Action." Great episode.

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

The original series is still my favorite. My dad watched it when it first aired, but I got into it as a kid in the 80s, when they aired on midnight on Channel 11. On one of the extra features of blu-ray of the '09 movie, Damon Lindelof said that was where he got into the series too - we're both from NJ.

When we got a VCR, I used to tape the episodes at midnight and watch them the next day when I got home from school. My dad bought me a book with an episode guide, and I used to check off each episode when I saw it just so I knew I'd gotten them all on tape.

I've seen the other series, but I love the original. They had no budget (and they never even finished their mission), but they had the best stories and the best characters.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #23
bunk
superhero fan

A couple weeks ago I started listening to a podcast called "Mission Logs". I would recommend it to anyone who's into the original series. The two hosts go through each episode one by one and discuss them in depth, which is pretty interesting if you're like me and you've only seen them once or twice. The podcast is about 40 episodes in at this point.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #24
cabel
Side-Kick

Started the third season.

Loved "The Enterprise Incident," Spectre of the Gun," and "Day of the Dove"

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #25
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
Without getting into spoiler material, can someone who's seen the newest film give a list of TOS episodes to watch in order to catch any references? Without listing why lol, just listing the episode title.
"Trouble With Tribble"
"Space Seed"
"Mudd's Women"
(FIlm)The Wrath of Khan

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote