The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #101
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: One Piece discussion (Spoilers)

For those that live in the USA, how popular is One Piece there? The manga seems to sell well, yet the anime was cancelled twice, and the second time it didn't have censorship

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #102
Fading
>:(

Honestly, anime in general isn't that popular here from what I've seen personally. Unless it's Dragon Ball, Gundam, Naruto, or the current kid friendly flavor of the month (Pokemon, Yugioh, Bakugan). I think part of the problem, outside of a lot of people being very anti entertainment from another country here, is censorship. They try too hard to make every anime PG so they can market it to kids.

They ended up utterly butchering One Piece during their first attempt. I still see people online dismissing One Piece because they saw the english dub, and assumed that's just how the series is. They edited the art, characters, music, it almost was an entirely different franchise.

They did the same with Shin-Chan. They took clips of it, and made it about kids hanging out on the play ground. Adult Swim showed the actual show, perverted humor, and all, and it was better received. Problem is any anime showing blood, featuring cussing has to be shown late night, or on a special channel like HBO. Meaning minimal crowd. Even then they typically air on Adult Swim which is even more niche, and typically has fans writing in for more Family Guy, and less anime, which moved it all back to just to late Saturday Night.

I guess I'm saying because of how our culture views anime for the most part, One Piece is practically non-existant in the US. Sure, there are those of us (like in this thread) in the US who talk online about it, but it's more of a cult type following like we have for movies like Evil Dead. I've walked into Comic stores, and hobby shops with DBZ, Gundam, Naruto, and Bleach merchandise, but never One Piece.

Last edited by Fading; 01-29-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #103
Lord
All Mighty

That's a real shame, i get my mangas from Viz since my country doesn't release many mangas and i like most english editions. Is OP's popularity rising? I heard Naruto was quite popular in the USA and that in some schools there were people walking around with acessories from characters of the franchise.

On the internet, expecially in official anime/ Manga sites most Naruto and Bleach fans get a lot of troll of One Piece fans because of their declining quality and it outselling them together, not to mention OP having broken all the records set by Dragon Ball. I hates this agressiveness began around 2008 when most were begining to get bored by Naruto and OP was starting big things, and that by Marineford most were aplauding it.

It's kind of ironic that One Piece, which has a universe inspired by the real world and the many different cultures, is so popular in Japan and not as much in the USA, yet, Naruto which has an almost completelly Japanese plot, as well as more Japanese beliefs is the most popular in the USA.

By the way, i found this interesting place analysing the mythoses from One Piece:
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=36777&page=4

I find it strange how there aren't many discussions about the themes of OP since it's one of the richest mangas in that i've seen, Oda really does a lot of research and puts a lot of work in the story.

Either way, here's some cool gifs i found:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?

Last edited by Lord; 01-28-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #104
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

One piece seems to be quite popular in Australia, there are often people that cosplay it's characters at anime and pop culture events, and one of the stores in the city has a huge display cabinet with all sorts of OP stuff. We get the funi dub over here which is uncut (depending on whether you like sub or dub). So there is definitely a fan base for it over here.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Avangarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #105
Fading

BTW, I was speaking from personal experience. There could be larger fan bases in large cities like NY. I'm living in a medium sized city in Indiana. From what I've seen anime is generally looked down on, and has a hard time getting on a good time slot on a high rated station. I just know that OP merchandise is non-existent, and the new dub hasn't been shown on TV unlike Bleach, and especially Naruto. I hope that changes though. OP is my favorite ongoing manga, and has topped as the #1 manga on, and off over the years. It deserves it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #106
Lord
All Mighty

Wow, many were expecting DoFlaming to be a disapointment due to last week's chapter, didn't expect him to one-shot smoker like that. I also wonder what this saga will actually be about, if DoFlamingo will be the secondary villain after Kaidou or if he the villan now and the alliance vs yonko only starts next Saga.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #107
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

The next saga is going to be huge. A lot will happen on Dessrosa, and it looks like Kinemon and his son will be playing a part in it. Yay for Kuzan, showing up like that to save Smoker was pure awesome. Damn this week break.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #108
Lord
All Mighty

Kuzan seems to have the same design used in Film Z, it's unknown wether that film is canon or not but acording to spoilers
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
in the end of the movie he seemed to start forming a crew, possibly becoming a pirate

Last edited by Lord; 02-12-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #109
Fading

Loved last weeks OP, I finally read it. Doflamingo pwning, Aokiji appears, and Law getting sucked into the Strawhats pace, and humor. 10/10. The next issue can't release soon enough, lol.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #110
Lord
All Mighty

DoFlamingo did what Law wanted, i wonder what he's planing next. Hope the Dressrosa arc is a little shorter than Punk Hazard and Fishmen island arcs were

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #111
Lord
All Mighty

Akainu's smoking now, it must be the pressure of handling the Navy i guess. In the throne room there are 4 chairs, each one with a symbol of playing cards, DoFlamingo seemed to be from the Heart shaped chair, i wonder if those four rule Dressrosa as a whole or are just more of DoFLamingo's subordinates.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #112
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

Did anyone notice the boat sailing away from the Island where Kid and his crew are docked? It looks like the ship Absalom escaped Thriller Bark in, plus Kid was mentioned the name Absa when talking about how the infomation is being leaked to the world. Absalom has the power of invisibility, handy for that sort of thing.

Either way, my gosh what a chapter. No surprise that Buggy is a War Lord now lol.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #113
Lord
All Mighty

Never thought of Absalom, it's certainly possible, even wonder how Oda didn't give him a mini arc. Things are getting quite good, after years we finally get the DoFlamingo arc.

It's amazing to see how much Buggy wasted his potencial, when he was younger around Luffy's age him and Shanks were around the same level, Buggy went to East Blue while Shanks went to the New World, not Shanks is a Yonko and Buggy's just a joke.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #114
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
It's amazing to see how much Buggy wasted his potencial, when he was younger around Luffy's age him and Shanks were around the same level, Buggy went to East Blue while Shanks went to the New World, not Shanks is a Yonko and Buggy's just a Clown.
fixed

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #115
Fading

This week's was good too, but last weeks was amazing. Just got around to reading it. The new (minus 1) warlords shown was awesome, but Buggy was expected. Momo's face when being hugged was hilarious. Lots of nice reveals.

This weeks kinda confirmed Dofla's "puppet" abilities. Given that his kingdom is guarded by marionette's. The blind guy is interesting though, maybe another one of Railey's friends? I say that given his age and strength, OP is a small world when it comes to the introduction of strong, older ppl. They always seem to tie back to Roger's crew.

Just a thought, but what would you guys think of Smoker joining the SH's? I remember hearing Oda didn't want to give the SH's a flyer (outside of temporary flying like Sanji's), and Momo's comments on not wanting to fly ever again, and him being a dragon, made me think he might join the crew. Then I started to think about Smoker. He's got his ass handed to him in all three of his big fights since the time skip. HIs opponents were tough, so I'm not bashing him. However that would make it believable that he could be on tier with Zoro, so he wouldn't be overpowered in joining. He's team up with the crew twice now, and seems to notice the hypocrisy of the marines. He could bring his vice with him, which would make things akward for Zoro, while adding hilarity with Sanji hitting on her, and Zoro telling him to stop. Anyway, just a thought, but the time skip made it a bit more realistic that he could.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #116
Lord
All Mighty

I doubt Smoker's gonna join, just like Coby he seems to know about the wrong doing of the marines but still wants to bring justice into the world, while his oponents were strong i did expect more from his fight against Vergo. I can see the samurai and his son joining but then we already have 3 swordsmen in the crew, and the kid's probably too young, just like Shanks didn't let Luffy into his crew.

I remember in another site some people mentioning the blind guy was going to be one of the new admirals, but i'm not sure about that. However i think i know from where Oda's inspiration to the bling man came from, and that's the Zatoichi films:

He was a blind samurai posing as a frail old man, seems to fit the bill considering Oda has taken much inspiration from old Japanese classics, as the three admirals were based on the appearance of actors.

I'm liking Dressrosa, as expected it's very inspired by Spain, i just hope one of the marionetes doesn't become a plot point for us to feel sorry and for Luffy to have more reasons to defeat DoFlamingo.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #117
Lord
All Mighty

For those that live in the USA, One Piece is returning to Toonami

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-toonami-block

Better luck this time.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #118
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

Bumping this thread, One Piece is to cool to be ignored.

This Battle Royal at the Colosseum is going to be insane, but there is so much happening in this arc. By the end of it I get the feeling that the whole One Piece world is going to be turned upside down.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #119
Lord
All Mighty

Yes it is

It's a shame there are not many OP fans around here.
It's amazing how many big names have been appearing here, DoFlamingo, a new admiral, Jesus Burghes, two pirates with Supernova potencial, CP0, etc.

Even somebody that was one-shoted by luffy in Jaya is now many people's favorite to win this block. It's gonna be interesting how Oda handles a tournament arc, and right now Dressrosa looks more and more like it's gonna be one of the best arcs.

Anybody thinks CP0's gonna be a big threat like CP9 or are they all gonna end up being just fodders?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #120
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

I think CP0 will play more of a "in the shadows" roll here, they will be part of a bigger picture with all that's been happening with Doflamingo stepping down, Admirals on the scene. Bellamy does seem to be much stronger than before, wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out an Impact Dial seeing that he's been to Skypia now, could be a powerful arsenal if his Springs can dampen the impact. The biggest secret happening at the moment would have to be the nameless Gladiator and the statue that seems to be sitting on top of what may just be a new Poneglyph. Urgh so much happening, the Samurai story, Sanji's found a woman, Zoro's chasing down a thief, Law handing back Ceasar, battle for the Mira mira fruit, soooooo much.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #121
Fading

Finally got around to watching Film Z, and I really enjoyed it. I think there were a few parts that they tried to overstylize a bit too much, but the animation was really well done.

The way it tied in to the overall OP story was nice too. I was afraid at first that Z being a former Admiral was going to screw with continuity a bit, and that Luffy beating a former Admiral would make Luffy seem overpowered. However they handled that nicely as well.

Seeing Kuzan/Aokiji, the marine cast that haven't made it in the manga yet, and kid Nami, Chopper, and 18 yr old Robin, was great . Kuzan's scars especially made me want to see what Akainu took away from their fight, or rather, what he didn't come back with, lol. Though I was disappointed that some of them, like Coby, looked exactly the same.

The worst part though was that I was watching it while I had someone over. Just as she was getting out of the bathroom it was at the part where Robin, Nami, Chopper, and Brook were reverting to their normal ages....I just saw her kinda stare at the screen while Robin and Nami were transforming back into their supermodel bodies, think I said something like, "Heh, well....they were temporarily de-aged, and..." (Brook "Kyaaa's as he sticks out his butt in a jokey way as he reverts), "Well, that skeleton....it's....it's an inside joke". She goes, "Oh", and walks in the other room. Humiliating, lol.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #122
Lord
All Mighty

Haha, never watch One Piece when other girls are around,especially the movies, they take those times to do the most fan service. The movies aren't really canon, well, i like to think of Strong World and Film Z as canon due to Oda's involvement but besides the characters of Shiki and Zephyr the plot's not in continuity with the manga so as to not make manga only readers confused.

Coby did change, i hope his streght improved a lot too, i believe Akainu doesn't have as big scars, Aokiji loosing his leg was probably the point of the fight where Akainu won.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #123
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

I enjoyed Film Z but I still like Strong World a fraction more. I might change my opinion once I watch the HD version with better subs. I any case, it was a pretty cool movie, and I liked how it revealed more about the OP world. Aokiji FTW

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #124
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Haha, never watch One Piece when other girls are around,especially the movies, they take those times to do the most fan service. The movies aren't really canon, well, i like to think of Strong World and Film Z as canon due to Oda's involvement but besides the characters of Shiki and Zephyr the plot's not in continuity with the manga so as to not make manga only readers confused.

Coby did change, i hope his streght improved a lot too, i believe Akainu doesn't have as big scars, Aokiji loosing his leg was probably the point of the fight where Akainu won.
Lol, lesson learned. I just wonder why ppl never walk in during the better parts of anime, why is it always during a moment that's hard to explain. It's not while a heavy story moments going on, or while a kick ass fight scenes going...it's always at something like when Chopper, Brook, and Luffy have chopsticks stuck up their nose while dancing around.

As far as girls and anime, I watch enough of it I'm pretty upfront about it. Figure it's better to be honest about that, rather than it catching them by surprise later in an akward way. Since anime can still be seen as a childish medium here, I usually try to ease others into anime with some of the more mature, or action-story driven ones. I just had bad timing with Film Z, lol.

Oh, and for the reference, it kills me to have to say ppl see it as childish, but many seem to. They see animation, and assume it equals cartoons like Bugs Bunny, or something. Just like with gaming gaining more mainstream appeal, and ppl finally, slowly seeing it as more than just a child's toy. I'm hoping the same happens with anime, and ppl see that it's more than Pokemon, and heavily censored DBZ episodes.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #125
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangarde View Post
I enjoyed Film Z but I still like Strong World a fraction more. I might change my opinion once I watch the HD version with better subs. I any case, it was a pretty cool movie, and I liked how it revealed more about the OP world. Aokiji FTW
I have to say that i didn't enjoy Strong World as much, i even prefered some of the previous films that it. I'm not sure why but even though it's written by Oda i felt that it lacked the emotion and well used themes like most story arcs of One Piece. I still hope Funimation releases it soon though, it would also be the perfect time for them to put Chapter 0 (manga version) in the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post

As far as girls and anime, I watch enough of it I'm pretty upfront about it. Figure it's better to be honest about that, rather than it catching them by surprise later in an akward way. Since anime can still be seen as a childish medium here, I usually try to ease others into anime with some of the more mature, or action-story driven ones. I just had bad timing with Film Z, lol.

Oh, and for the reference, it kills me to have to say ppl see it as childish, but many seem to. They see animation, and assume it equals cartoons like Bugs Bunny, or something. Just like with gaming gaining more mainstream appeal, and ppl finally, slowly seeing it as more than just a child's toy. I'm hoping the same happens with anime, and ppl see that it's more than Pokemon, and heavily censored DBZ episodes.
It's good that you're upfront about anime but you should be careful when watching one that have girls with exagerated proportions, because they're most of the times going to use that for a lot of fanservice. In Japan animation is regarded as an art, and comics aren't taken as imature either since they have a very broad audience, which is why One Piece and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are seen in so many restaurants.

The only way anime can get more popular in the USA and some European countries is if Hollywood starts making successful adaptations like they've been making with american comics. Dragon Ball Evolution was a huge fail, but the new Guillermo Del Toro produced "Monster" is a step in the right direction.