Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #101
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's clear though that Storm is a popular comic book character - and there must be a reason for it, so the filmmakers need to ask themselves why she is popular, what it is people like, what makes her tick.

She's had her own journeys of discovery too. She lost her powers (later exploring her heritage and purpose in Lifedeath), she has had romances (with Forge and Black Panther, and even with Dracula), she had a Phoenix-style out-of-control power progression (in a storyline with Doctor Doom), she sacrificed her physical body as the X-Men faced the Brood race, she discovered a mystical/magical heritage. In the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series, she was manipulated by Shadow King and her powers went out of control, causing destruction across Africa. Bottom line is there is plenty of scope for character development, subplots and arcs. (Plus it would also be chance to do some amazing and visually-stunning location shooting in Kenya or Egypt!).

The fans aren't asking for Storm to dominate, just to have a bit more dimension and a sense of purpose as to why she is there.
Very well said. To me, Storm's most defining storyline was the period in which she lost her powers. She was always written to be the one mutant who's powers were the greatest gift and responsibility... one in which Ororo really cherished. To see her have her powers stripped from her against her will was devastating, but she picked herself up again, continued to lead the X-Men, and walked into the heart of battle with only her human skill and might to protect her.

And so with X3 having the whole "cure" storyline, I really thought that was the opportunity to really throw the character head first into the main plotline. It would have been a risky but amazing moment to see her lose her powers... and then a great chance to see her overcome.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #102
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Rogue is the female lead in X1.

Jean is the female lead in X2.

This is pretty obvious.

Storm is the female lead in X3, though gets nowhere near the development that Rogue and Jean got as the leads in their respective films. She's just there.
Yes!

I don't even know why you people are arguing about this. Stevie Wonder thinks you people are blind! LOL

Quote:
I didn't mind the role Storm had in X2. The conversation with Nightcrawler works pretty well as another 'mirror' - his outer 'ugliness' and inner beauty against her outer beauty and inner ugliness (anger, fear). Halle seemed a bit watery-eyed in that scene, though; every time I watch it, i feel she is about to burst into tears. However, it was a nice moment, even if the 'I have faith' scene at the dam later was a bit undeveloped and cursory.
Now that I think about it, that's probably one of my favorite scenes in this entire franchise and I'm not even a Halle Berry fan.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #103
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Yes I heard that.But If you took his comments about Storm and Nightcrawler It defently seems like Nightcrawler might be better candiate to appear.

It defently seems like based on past bryan likes Nightcrawler more than Storm.I think many would agree one of better character adoptians In films was Nightcrawler In X2.
I just read the article. He seemed no more coy about Nightcrawler than he did regarding Storm. In fact, his response on Storm/Halle Berry was actually more detailed than this one.

I think Storm and Nightcrawler are the last two main characters from X2 that Bryan last worked with directly on this franchise. If I am reading his comments properly it sounds to me like he's trying to get the entire cast back but only if it makes sense and doesn't come across like he's just throwing them in there.

No one wants a repeat of X3.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #104
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Well, all that wasn't addressed to me, but I want to say this:

You've proved Storm wasn't of any significance in X2. And more or less proved the point we are all making: that justice hasn't been done to the character.

Even Jean's arc in X2 wasn't perfectly done, to be honest. We're told she hasn't been the same since Liberty Island (and no mainstream viewer would connect the dots between that and Magneto's radiation machine doing something. In fact no one really knows what happened to Jean at the Statue of Liberty. Did that machine evolve her? Break through mental blocks? Did Singer even envisage the mental blocks concept in his vision of what was happening to Jean?). Jean later has a far-too-brief fight with Cyclops and then is found twitching on the floor behind a generator, somehow having hurt her ankle while Cyclops is walking perfectly well from being flung through the air and across the entire generator room.

That's not to say X2 was bad or weak but it sure ain't perfect.

I didn't mind the role Storm had in X2. The conversation with Nightcrawler works pretty well as another 'mirror' - his outer 'ugliness' and inner beauty against her outer beauty and inner ugliness (anger, fear). Halle seemed a bit watery-eyed in that scene, though; every time I watch it, i feel she is about to burst into tears. However, it was a nice moment, even if the 'I have faith' scene at the dam later was a bit undeveloped and cursory.

It's clear though that Storm is a popular comic book character - and there must be a reason for it, so the filmmakers need to ask themselves why she is popular, what it is people like, what makes her tick.

She's had her own journeys of discovery too. She lost her powers (later exploring her heritage and purpose in Lifedeath), she has had romances (with Forge and Black Panther, and even with Dracula), she had a Phoenix-style out-of-control power progression (in a storyline with Doctor Doom), she sacrificed her physical body as the X-Men faced the Brood race, she discovered a mystical/magical heritage. In the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series, she was manipulated by Shadow King and her powers went out of control, causing destruction across Africa. Bottom line is there is plenty of scope for character development, subplots and arcs. (Plus it would also be chance to do some amazing and visually-stunning location shooting in Kenya or Egypt!).

The fans aren't asking for Storm to dominate, just to have a bit more dimension and a sense of purpose as to why she is there.
Post like these remind me why I've been a cyber-lover of you for 10 years on this site.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #105
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
But just to clarify, I didn't mean to say I believe any of that Bryan/ Halle feud nonsense. I don't think it has anything to do with Halle. I just think Bryan never invested in Storm's character and he just seems to continue to give it the short straw.

So in a sense, even if Storm is in DOFP, I think it would be ill-advised for Storm fans to suddenly think Bryan and co. can write and direct Halle in a good Storm role. There's always hope, but we should be cautious in getting too excited for the prospect.
Agreed on all fronts. I honestly don't expect anything more from Storm in DoFP beyond some absolutely brilliant SFX battles with the Sentinels before or after being apprehended/jailed/killed. And that's it. That's all the producers of this franchise have ever used Storm for anyway. So I've come to stop expecting equal treatment--it's never gonna happen until a complete reboot or with another studio.

Funny: aside from Jean, Storm is the most powerful member of the X-Men in the movie-verse. Yet of the entire cast, she has the most shallow soul in terms of character development. What a waste.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #106
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

The Storm discussion has just been dominating these boards lately...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #107
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
The Storm discussion has just been dominating these boards lately...
Hell yeah...it just proves how important the character is to so many of the users here. But if she's NOT as important to Singer & Co. trust me, the discussion about her here will die off soon enough.

By March we should know for sure if Halle Berry has been cast or not.

I just know one thing: if they pass on her again, they better not f***ing put Riptide or some other "Storm Rip Off" type weather controlling character in this thing like they did in First Class. That was a slap in the face.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 02-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #108
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I love Storm in the movies, I always liked the idea of her leading the X-Men after Cyke no longer being around.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #109
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Agreed on all fronts. I honestly don't expect anything more from Storm in DoFP beyond some absolutely brilliant SFX battles with the Sentinels before or after being apprehended/jailed/killed. And that's it. That's all the producers of this franchise have ever used Storm for anyway. So I've come to stop expecting equal treatment--it's never gonna happen until a complete reboot or with another studio.
I would hope that if they can't give her a plotline that's relevant to the story, the next best thing would be to display Storm's leadership skills.

One of the many great aspects of Storm's comic book character was her natural ability to lead the team and to make very difficult decisions. What better time to display that than in the very bleak and dangerous DOFP timeline.

If they can't give her a nice character arc, they should just focus on her burden as the leader, having to send her troops on these dire missions and having ironclad conviction in the face of extermination. (Very unlike X3, where she was always deferring to Logan.)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #110
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
If they can't give her a nice character arc, they should just focus on her burden as the leader, having to send her troops on these dire missions and having ironclad conviction in the face of extermination. (Very unlike X3, where she was always deferring to Logan.)
You mean the studio deferring to Logan.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #111
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even Jean's arc in X2 wasn't perfectly done, to be honest. We're told she hasn't been the same since Liberty Island (and no mainstream viewer would connect the dots between that and Magneto's radiation machine doing something. In fact no one really knows what happened to Jean at the Statue of Liberty. Did that machine evolve her? Break through mental blocks? Did Singer even envisage the mental blocks concept in his vision of what was happening to Jean?). Jean later has a far-too-brief fight with Cyclops and then is found twitching on the floor behind a generator, somehow having hurt her ankle while Cyclops is walking perfectly well from being flung through the air and across the entire generator room.
I definitely agree with you: I don't think Jean's arc was an amazing one, but it at least is touched on in each of the movies.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #112
DarknessOfDeath
Something grows dark

Okay...so im hearing stuff from here to there about the majority of the cast from the first trilogy are returning...does that mean Famke Janssen gets to reprise her role as Dr. Jean Grey? If so, Good god, I'll be a happy guy if thats true...I'd rather ignore the chaos that was TLS...and pretend it never happened. So, any word on who is returning???

Eva Green for Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix if Marvel gets the rights back for X-Men.

ďIt is some kind of a cosmic force that somehow felt drawn to Jean and her powers. It inhabited her body and mind, which made Jean vulnerable to losing control of her extended powers. Iíve seen what this cosmic entity can do, for I looked into Jeanís conscious mind and saw some things I didnít like and Scott, believe me; it is unlike anything weíve encountered of our time.Ē - Xavier
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #113
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I love Storm in the movies, I always liked the idea of her leading the X-Men after Cyke no longer being around.
I always thought it would have been cool in X3 to see a now dysfunctional team struggling after the death of Jean especially with a distant Cyclops who's lost all sense of composure and a bitter Wolvie at each others throats. Would have been cool to see Storm being the glue that kept the team together.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #114
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath View Post
Okay...so im hearing stuff from here to there about the majority of the cast from the first trilogy are returning...does that mean Famke Janssen gets to reprise her role as Dr. Jean Grey? If so, Good god, I'll be a happy guy if thats true...I'd rather ignore the chaos that was TLS...and pretend it never happened. So, any word on who is returning???
All films are still canon and Singer said he is taking all into consideration not just his own. The film takes place post X3, so far no Jean, CYC or Storm. Logan, Kitty, Iceman, Rogue, Magneto and Xavier are back.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #115
DarknessOfDeath
Something grows dark

Aww man... but I want Jean and Cykes back.

ďIt is some kind of a cosmic force that somehow felt drawn to Jean and her powers. It inhabited her body and mind, which made Jean vulnerable to losing control of her extended powers. Iíve seen what this cosmic entity can do, for I looked into Jeanís conscious mind and saw some things I didnít like and Scott, believe me; it is unlike anything weíve encountered of our time.Ē - Xavier
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #116
Lightning Strykez!

Darkness,

Famke's next X-Men appearance will be in the upcoming Wolverine film which precedes Days Of Future Past. So you'll get your Phoenix fix at least then.

No word yet on which Jean we're going to get. Sane Jean or Dark Jean....

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #117
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Aww man... but I want Jean and Cykes back.
Since the story deals with time travel and alt timelines we will probably get them back in some way by the end of the film. I just doubt they will announce them cause it would be giving away a twist that they return....and like Lightning said Jean will show up in The Wolverine. Probably a dream or hallucination though, since shes still dead.

Last edited by def28; 02-11-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #118
DarknessOfDeath
Something grows dark

Oh really?? Okay well how many solo Wolverine movies are there? lol. Wasn't the last one not so good? How will Jean fit into the wolverine movie?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #119
def28
Side-Kick

Dont know yet, not a big role though. My guess is her death is probably haunting Logan in some way. But who knows, hopefully this Wolverine is much better then origins.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #120
Lightning Strykez!

Jean is dead. But Dark Phoenix is not. Even in the movie-verse. You simply cannot kill that thing. It's like a cosmic cockroach...not gonna happen.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #121
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
In another interviewing Bryan Singer Is teasing about possable return of Nightcrawler
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment
Eh I don't want Nightcrawler to return especially they probably wouldn't focus on why he returned. I hope they just save him in the next movie after DOFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
They could have had her be claustrophobic and get over it with her faith in Nightcrawler...the whole "could get stuck inside a wall"...thing.
I don't think they should give Storm this "claustrophobic" moment. She already appeared in 3 movies and there was no indication that she is claustrophobic. It would just feel forced and out of nowhere if they decided to finally include it in the movie.

Quote:
I feel like its really lazy to just bring back characters who already died in the past and bring them back just so all of the characters that were in the original trilogy are gonna be reunited for this film.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #122
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Jean is dead. But Dark Phoenix is not. Even in the movie-verse. You simply cannot kill that thing. It's like a cosmic cockroach...not gonna happen.
Haha very true. I dont think they are gonna do more Phoenix stuff in The Wolverine if they are following with DoFP ...then again never know with this franchise.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #123
DarknessOfDeath
Something grows dark

So somehow Jean/dark Phoenix's death is haunting Logan but like Lightning Strykez said, you can't kill that thing. lol. But that's just one reason for Jean to be in the movie.... I hope she's in it more than just a cameo or something...

Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #124
def28
Side-Kick

Logan killed the Woman he loved. Thats gonna mess with him a bit as it would anyone. Since The Wolverine takes place after X3 not following on those events would be a mistake. I dont think they will open up another hint at the Phoenix cause DOFP will change things alot by the end. Its a huge thing to bring back in. They would have to re introduce everything at that point.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #125
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
So somehow Jean/dark Phoenix's death is haunting Logan but like Lightning Strykez said, you can't kill that thing. lol. But that's just one reason for Jean to be in the movie.... I hope she's in it more than just a cameo or something...
Don't hold your breath.

Closed Thread