The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Future Batman Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #726
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Well, I would be fine with it if Batman's cape was more of a driving force for his stealth.

But here's the thing. The comics, he has to be coloured grey, because with black, he just looks awful. That's why for a long time we had the blue cape and cowl. All black was horrible and you can't get decent detail.
Then they stopped with the colour change, him being all stealthy...because it made no sense.

In the comics now, Batman uses his cape to hide in the shadows. He uses it to hide the bright grey...but why should he do it at all? Why can't he ditch the grey costume if that was the case? Because as stateed, black is just horrible for everyone in an artistic POV.

But in film, we're dealing with things that are different. Batman doesn't look bad as he does in the comics in black. He doesn't need the cape to hide him, which makes things more efficient in live action, compared to panel by panel drawings.

He has to be drawn grey in the comics...Therefore, things make less sense in a realistic setting. Batman will remain that stealthy figure, as artists try to draw him in shadows...if he were in black, while in shadows, it would again, look horrible in the comics. It doesn't work.

Grey in live action has no purpose, it doesn't make sense. It's only in the comics for an artistic purpose.
http://herodistrict.com/wp-content/u...ckPanther1.jpg

All of these "anti-grey" arguments are bogus. "He's grey in the comics so we can see him better?" LOL!! Really??

We've been able to see Black Panther for years! And he's all BLACK! It works if you want it to work. If you have a bias against the grey suit, then nothing will change your mind!

We don't know how it would look simply because THEY'VE NEVER TRIED IT!!

I almost hate the Tim Burton version for the reason that we cant get anything but a black rubber Batman.

So how can anyone be so hell bent against grey.

I know why.....everybody freaks out because the grey has been associated with the campy Adam West Batman. And that simply does not have to be the case. It can be done right......I think the Nite Owl suit from Watchmen is perfect for Batman.....the texture looks protective and the flexibility let's him move.....and that leathern looking cape was sweet...(Oh...it was a glider too).

I'd love to be able to see the Bat symbol on his chest for a change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc1NarI5aE0


Last edited by Shazam; 02-10-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #727
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 18,675
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

He's grey because he simply looks atrocious when black

The details in the New 52 costume wouldn't work with black would it? At least not well.

And when it was black loincloth [or whatever it was] in the 90's, it just looked very bland.

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #728
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,780
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

What works in the comics doesn't necessarily work on films and vice versa. They are two different visual mediums.

All black outfits in print no matter how well they're animated rarely come out looking great and most of the all black black costumes you see have huge splashes of blue and purple thrown in to let it pop out more.

In a live-action 3D world you have less of that issue. Personally i think the two tone works great for the comic batman but i think an all black live-action batman is more visually impressive.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #729
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 18,675
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
I was wondering what this would like in the colour of gunmetal? If anybody can edit this pic to see what I mean, it would be great

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #730
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
What works in the comics doesn't necessarily work on films and vice versa. They are two different visual mediums.

All black outfits in print no matter how well they're animated rarely come out looking great and most of the all black black costumes you see have huge splashes of blue and purple thrown in to let it pop out more.

In a live-action 3D world you have less of that issue. Personally i think the two tone works great for the comic batman but i think an all black live-action batman is more visually impressive.
But we sure as heck don't know it would work in this case, because they haven't tried it!

I think those Arkham City video games give a pretty close depiction of how a live action Batman (in grey) would look. And it looks pretty darn great.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #731
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,198
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

If Spider-man can work, anything's possible!


__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #732
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 18,675
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot



Even that looks too cartoony.

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #733
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post


Even that looks too cartoony.

News Flash: It all looks cartoony. Who walks around in a Halloween costume??

It's called suspension of belief.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #734
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

It can be "cartoony" as long as it looks cool.

http://media.techeblog.com/images/ba...um-costume.jpg

And this has been his look for over 70 years....he looks cool.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #735
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Well I disagree with you and I'm pretty sure they won't be doing a grey costume anytime soon.
OK...? Doesn't change anything.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #736
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,780
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

The issue isn't that gray can't look good. They could absolutely come up with a black and gray, or even blue and gray look that works.

The issue is contextual...why would Batman, in any realistic sense, color coordinate himself like that in the real world? He's, first and foremost, supposed to be a frightening creature of the night, hence the change to all black. Now, if they move away from that, and go back to the swashbuckling, slightly less dark version of Batman, I think blue and black or gray would be more palatable.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #737
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,198
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

I think that they should do it for the the sake of being faithful to the comics. If he's already established there is no need to explain why since there is no origin. I think that if you can't sit down and watch the movie without thinking "Why is he in gray?!!!!" then that's just over analyzing. (Not that anyone said that)
Another cool pic:

__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #738
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The issue isn't that gray can't look good. They could absolutely come up with a black and gray, or even blue and gray look that works.
Exactly.

Quote:
The issue is contextual...why would Batman, in any realistic sense, color coordinate himself like that in the real world? He's, first and foremost, supposed to be a frightening creature of the night, hence the change to all black.
Assuming that would even need to be explained (and I don't think it would)...I would say that gray is better for stealth, but black is better for intimidation.

The gray bodysuit/armor helps him blend into the shadows and will keep him from being seen from a distance.

The black (specifically the cape and cowl) is for when he has to get close to someone to intimidate them, for whatever reason. It helps sell the image of a terrifying demon better than gray.

Mix them together and you get the best of both worlds.


Quote:
Now, if they move away from that, and go back to the swashbuckling, slightly less dark version of Batman, I think blue and black or gray would be more palatable.
I would love that.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #739
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,198
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

I think it would also be a cool concept if his emblem(yellow) was actually bulletproof. Like someone shoots him in the chest and it just bounces off. That would have a great "creature" factor.

__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #740
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 18,675
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The issue isn't that gray can't look good. They could absolutely come up with a black and gray, or even blue and gray look that works.

The issue is contextual...why would Batman, in any realistic sense, color coordinate himself like that in the real world? He's, first and foremost, supposed to be a frightening creature of the night, hence the change to all black. Now, if they move away from that, and go back to the swashbuckling, slightly less dark version of Batman, I think blue and black or gray would be more palatable.
Exactly. It all depends on the tone as I said previously. If cartoony, I would be fine with the grey and blue.

Realistic wise, black works better.

And the way the things are, I doubt we'll see something cartoony.

All I ask for, for the sake of us that want generic black to remain and those who want generic grey...compromise. Gunmetal is a great injection of black upon grey...and we'll probably always get the armoured look. And the gunmetal colour would perfectly upon that.

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #741
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The issue isn't that gray can't look good. They could absolutely come up with a black and gray, or even blue and gray look that works.

The issue is contextual...why would Batman, in any realistic sense, color coordinate himself like that in the real world? He's, first and foremost, supposed to be a frightening creature of the night, hence the change to all black. Now, if they move away from that, and go back to the swashbuckling, slightly less dark version of Batman, I think blue and black or gray would be more palatable.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...ld0o1_1280.jpg

And this is with the grey costume......

Looks pretty scary to me


Last edited by Shazam; 02-10-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #742
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,198
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Like this? Because a nice dark gray is fine. If you were talking about bright gray the entire time, than yes no to that.

__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #743
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 18,675
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

And as I said...the cape NEEDS a bigger role lol

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #744
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

I was talking about a dark gray.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #745
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 18,675
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
Like this? Because a nice dark gray is fine. If you were talking about bright gray the entire time, than yes no to that.
Yup

And I was thinking of bright grey

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #746
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,780
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
I think it would also be a cool concept if his emblem(yellow) was actually bulletproof. Like someone shoots him in the chest and it just bounces off. That would have a great "creature" factor.
Ugh I haaate that idea concept, no offense. I think it was just frank miller saying that to justify the reason (maybe to himself?) why batman would wear a bright yellow emblem as a prowler of the night and even he had the good sense to have it be blasted off and replaced with the black emblem.

In reality a strategist like batman would not want to put any target on his body let alone one just below his neck/head. Frankly based on the bright target distraction idea he should put it on his ass probably because that would probably be safer.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #747
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,911
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Ugh I haaate that idea concept, no offense. I think it was just frank miller saying that to justify the reason (maybe to himself?) why batman would wear a bright yellow emblem as a prowler of the night and even he had the good sense to have it be blasted off and replaced with the black emblem.

In reality a strategist like batman would not want to put any target on his body let alone one just below his neck/head. Frankly based on the bright target distraction idea he should put it on his ass probably because that would probably be safer.
Well if he really didn't want to get hit he'd have a silent robot built to do his crime-fighting for him (and if he can afford a space-station he can afford a silent robot). But he doesn't because that wouldn't be cool. Just like in this guy's opinion, the yellow oval is cool.

Also, by Miller's logic he shouldn't wear any yellow at all. If Bruce can wear a yellow belt because he thinks it's stylish, and doesn't mind the 'risk' it brings when enemies shoot at his waist, he can also wear a yellow oval on his chest.

That being said, I think the yellow oval is uggggly.


Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 02-11-2013 at 12:07 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #748
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,780
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Well if he really didn't want to get hit he'd have a silent robot built to do his crime-fighting for him (and if he can afford a space-station he can afford a silent robot). But he doesn't because that wouldn't be cool. Just like in this guy's opinion, the yellow oval is cool.
Don't get it twisted i'm not criticizing the posters idea. I just hate the excuse concocted by miller as to why batman wears a yellow emblem. Like i said it just makes batman seem dumb not smarter.

I rather people not try to justify the yellow emblem's presence and just say they prefer the aesthetics or whatever.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #749
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,911
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Don't get it twisted i'm not criticizing the posters idea. I just hate the excuse concocted by miller as to why batman wears a yellow emblem. Like i said it just makes batman seem dumb not smarter.

I rather people not try to justify the yellow emblem's presence and just say they prefer the aesthetics or whatever.
Ah. I see.

Yes, Miller's reasoning is stupid.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #750
Harrier
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 206
Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Yellow Emblem is cool on a black t-shirt but I think it'd be a mistake for it to return to a film.

Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.