The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #576
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I actually don't have a problem with the turning back the world stuff. There are other parts of the movie that haven't aged well.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #577
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

speaking of the original Superman movies, last night I caught the tail end of Superman II, the part where Clark returns to the diner to deliver justice to the bully.

I couldn't help but smile at how endearing Reeve's Clark was.

MOS Clark doesn't have to be quite so bumbling. But, he should still have a quiet, unassuming, polite nature about him. iow.......mild-mannered.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #578
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Superman used to fly back in time in the in the comics all the time or do thing way more fantastical at the time of S:TM. So knowing that when I watched that movie years later I had no issue at all with that scene.

The only issues I had when I was younger was that Lex wore a "wig" and he surrounded himself with a clown.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #579
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
so what did I miss??

some pics got leaked then pulled??
Basically DjPyro229's entire reputation was destroyed in a horrible accident involving an official WB MOS photo, plagiarism and a runaway ego. Tragic.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #580
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Superman the Movie is considered a great film from start to finish? Even with the "Turning back time" resolution?
Yes. I personally have no problem with Superman turning back time....because he used to do it all the time in the comics.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #581
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Yes. I personally have no problem with Superman turning back time....because he used to do it all the time in the comics.
Totally agree, i just imagine watching it in 1978 it was such a great epic visual effect, I would have gone nuts.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #582
elgaz
Side-Kick

The turning back time thing is a ridiculous concept,but STM somehow got away with it by giving the audience a wink and a cheeky grin. It's an older film, bit more campy, bit more far-fetched ....................... suspension of disbelief was also somewhat easier amongst audiences in 1978. Films like that could get away with murder.

I doubt very much the same concept would succeed with a modern audience if, for example, someone had decided to remake the 1978 Superman film for 2013.

As said above though, it's a fantastic visual effect and a great demonstration of Superman's power. They also managed to get away with the whole time-reversal thing because it's the first time in the film you see Superman losing it - from when he roars at the heavens to when he lands back on Earth after reversing time - that whole section of the film is quite emotional as we see the lengths Superman will go to when he can not bear to lose another person he loves. That emotional impact made it a bit easier to swallow such a plot device.

Last edited by elgaz; 02-12-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #583
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Basically DjPyro229's entire reputation was destroyed in a horrible accident involving an official WB MOS photo, plagiarism and a runaway ego. Tragic.
oh......so the photo was real??

what did it show?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #584
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
oh......so the photo was real??

what did it show?
Superman kneeling with a fist on the ground and an intense stare, with snowy mountains in the backdrop. Brilliant pic, should have been used on a poster - and since it appears now that it's an official pic, it probably will be. I'm sure if someone were to *cough* google it, they could find it .........

Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #585
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Superman kneeling with a fist on the ground and an intense stare, with snowy mountains in the backdrop. Brilliant pic, should have been used on a poster - and since it appears now that it's an official pic, it probably will be. I'm sure if someone were to *cough* google it, they could find it .........
sounds nice!! hope WB releases it officially!!

edit: found it!!

if it's real, then that's the poster that should be in theaters.......not that handcuff one.......

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #586
J.Howlett

Man of Steel trilogy after all? http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN...t_2-12-13.html

Grain of salt, I know considering the source, but God, I hope this happens.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #587
Marvin
Side-Kick

The ending of superman, with time travel effect is actually plausible. When an object approaches the speed of light it will most likely experience a time dilation effect. However going back in time is what is currently not believed to be possible. If anything Superman approaching the speed of light would have sent him into the future.

I think.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #588
dark_b
Side-Kick

Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #589
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Man of Steel trilogy after all? http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN...t_2-12-13.html

I hope the Man of Steel trilogy part is true but I don't want to wait til 2019 for a Batman reboot.

If WBs really wants to do a team up film they should let Guilmero Del Toro do his Heaven Sent movie and do a Doom Patrol movie (which I believe has a lot of potential).

Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #590
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The ending of superman, with time travel effect is actually plausible. When an object approaches the speed of light it will most likely experience a time dilation effect. However going back in time is what is currently not believed to be possible. If anything Superman approaching the speed of light would have sent him into the future.

I think.
I've also read that the gravity and rotation of the Earth warps space time.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #591
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I hope the Man of Steel trilogy part is true but I don't want to wait til 2019 for a Batman reboot.

If WBs really wants to do a team up film they should let Guilmero Del Toro do his Heaven Sent movie and do a Doom Patrol movie (which I believe has a lot of potential).
7 years is the same wait between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #592
protocida
Side-Kick

I remember reading Superman didn't really rotate Earth backwards. It was merely a style choice to display that he was flying so fast he went back in time.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #593
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
And while we're on the subject, Superman II was considered a better film than Superman when it opened... and up till all the "Donner v. Lester" stuff got out years later.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #594
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
I remember reading Superman didn't really rotate Earth backwards. It was merely a style choice to display that he was flying so fast he went back in time.
That actually makes sense,all the years of people thinking he physically spins the Earth backwards to reverse time really didn't help the film at all,but him pushing himself to exceed light speed to go back in time works.

Shame they couldn't have shown and explained that in a better way on screen.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #595
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think.
Basically. As velocity increases, time slows down within the moving frame (or speeds up within the at-rest frame - same difference). So when Supes returned from his high-speed orbits, he should have discovered that days/weeks/years had passed back on Earth - not a reversal of time, as was depicted.

But the big objection wasn’t getting the science wrong; it was the lazy “let’s have a do-over” attitude to the storytelling.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #596
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
7 years is the same wait between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins.
I know but I want it sooner

Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #597
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
And while we're on the subject, Superman II was considered a better film than Superman when it opened... and up till all the "Donner v. Lester" stuff got out years later.
Tru dat.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #598
robmx522
Banned User

Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #599
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:

I definitely want a Batman film sooner than 2019, but it's encouraging to hear that WB is at least aware of how catastrophic a JL film can be. Just imagine effectively killing the likeability of all your good franchises in one swipe. And if JL makes itself wait a little longer, at least that vibe of "We're only doing this because Marvel did it too" won't be as noticeable.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #600
robmx522
Banned User

henry cavils thinking i'm glad i bulked up so i didn't have to wear a cgi suit

Closed Thread