The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #151
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I prefer how MOS handled the 'belt'. I don't like that red one on the New 52.
Same here. Also, the cape attachment.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #152
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Me too. At least the MOS-suit has a mid-section that's incorporated into the rest of the suit, whereas the New 52-suit just has a "utility"-belt slapped on. Looks like a cheap toy-belt.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #153
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Yeah...I mean in the New 52 Superman has no need for a belt so why bother even putting it on him? They should have him switch to the MOS suit later. It would make more sense and look much better

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #154
Glassjaw
In training

The only time I really feel the New 52 suit looks great is when Jim Lee draws it. I mean it looks really good there. All the other artists which have drawn for the Superman titles since the relaunch, it looks a bit naff.

Will be interesting to see if the MoS suit makes a transition into comics after the film. Presumably this is more likely to happen the more popular and better received the film is.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #155
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
The only time I really feel the New 52 suit looks great is when Jim Lee draws it. I mean it looks really good there. All the other artists which have drawn for the Superman titles since the relaunch, it looks a bit naff.

Will be interesting to see if the MoS suit makes a transition into comics after the film. Presumably this is more likely to happen the more popular and better received the film is.
I really do hope it transitions over to the comics

Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #156
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
As does Cavill's thick neck, which is reminiscent of Reeve's. You can have all the muscle in the world but sometimes a thick/broad neck is more suggestive of power and strength that anything else. It's particularly noticeable next to Routh's comparatively thinner neck..

Cavill's neckline is thin, but the suit opens up and you can see the shoulders more which I like. Routh's suit was basically good, but the neckline needed expanded, the shield should have been bigger and the trunks should have been less like panties!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #157
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Yeah...I mean in the New 52 Superman has no need for a belt so why bother even putting it on him? They should have him switch to the MOS suit later. It would make more sense and look much better
But for that matter why would need the New 52 Batman need the belt too? I like the way the New 52 Superman's belt looks, it breaks up his midsection so it doesn't look like he's wearing pajamas.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #158
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
But for that matter why would need the New 52 Batman need the belt too? I like the way the New 52 Superman's belt looks, it breaks up his midsection so it doesn't look like he's wearing pajamas.
Well Batman's is a utility belt that houses all sorts of gadgets. So it's sort of necessary. And the New 52's Superman suit is just...lord, there are so many better things they could have done. Leave it to Jim Lee to design something overly complicated and unsatisfying. Hell, I prefer the jeans and t-shirt look over it.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #159
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Well Batman's is a utility belt that houses all sorts of gadgets. So it's sort of necessary. And the New 52's Superman suit is just...lord, there are so many better things they could have done. Leave it to Jim Lee to design something overly complicated and unsatisfying. Hell, I prefer the jeans and t-shirt look over it.
You beat me to it but that's basically the same thing I would have said. Batman needs the belt to hold and carry all of his gadgets...Superman doesn't need a belt anymore and that's why he doesn't have one so to speak in Man of Steel...its a semi belt if you wanna call it that

Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #160
Binker
Side-Kick

I call the design a decoration of the armor; we just know what they used to create that design (ie the yellow belt).

Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #161
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I call the design a decoration of the armor; we just know what they used to create that design (ie the yellow belt).
Yeah that's pretty much it when I think about it. It's not a belt but a design....and using the belt to create it was pretty smart I think.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #162
Binker
Side-Kick

BTW, I like the two DC 52 suits (3 if you count the black suit that was featured), but for the Action Comics/shirt and jeans look; while it's fine, man, I really wished it was altered a bit. Basically, I did that type of design before DC did, but mine had a long sleeve blue shirt, black pants and boots, and a regular size cape that was connected to the shirt (in my mind, the collar was customed made so the cape could "snap" into place). If I remember correctly, the design was a suggestion (next to a expansion of Season 10's leather jacket) for Smallville; that's why it has a realistic tone to it. Here it is:

Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #163
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
BTW, I like the two DC 52 suits (3 if you count the black suit that was featured), but for the Action Comics/shirt and jeans look; while it's fine, man, I really wished it was altered a bit. Basically, I did that type of design before DC did, but mine had a long sleeve blue shirt, black pants and boots, and a regular size cape that was connected to the shirt (in my mind, the collar was customed made so the cape could "snap" into place). If I remember correctly, the design was a suggestion (next to a expansion of Season 10's leather jacket) for Smallville; that's why it has a realistic tone to it. Here it is:
I much prefer the t-shirt and jeans look for Superman in the New 52...don't care for the rest of it. Not a bad design bit I'm more of a short sleeves kinda guy

Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #164
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I still think Kal went to Reed Richards for his costume.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #165
Glassjaw
In training

Looking at the costume on this frankly awful mannequin (it does the suit no favours) you can at least get an idea of the thickness of the suit. Looking at the boots area you can see wrinkles where the suit is not properly stretched over the mannequin. The material looks really thin!

Granted it might not be that thin throughout the entire suit, but still. And the arms look pretty small here too. Not trying to dig up the old 'is it a muscle suit/padding in places' argument, but it really does look like the suit need's Cavill's body in it to 'fill' it out, definition wise.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #166
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Why would they display that on this absolutely S***y mannequin? Ew.

I have an even bigger appreciation for the work Cavill put in.

(here it comes...)

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #167
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Looking at the costume on this frankly awful mannequin (it does the suit no favours) you can at least get an idea of the thickness of the suit. Looking at the boots area you can see wrinkles where the suit is not properly stretched over the mannequin. The material looks really thin!

Granted it might not be that thin throughout the entire suit, but still. And the arms look pretty small here too. Not trying to dig up the old 'is it a muscle suit/padding in places' argument, but it really does look like the suit need's Cavill's body in it to 'fill' it out, definition wise.
I assume the suit is similar to this...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Where the material can be removed from whatever padding suit they used for Cavill. In this case, they didn't have a mannequin that could fill the suit out like Cavill (with padding) or like that other mannequin used in a different display months ago.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #168
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Pretty much. That doesn't exactly prove that some padding wasn't used to emphasis the muscularity for both Superman and Zod.

I mean this pretty much confirms it for me that some form of silicon padding was more than definitely involved (not that I'm complaining as it looks good).

With no offense to Shannon but he does not have sculpted triceps like that.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB

Last edited by craigdbfan; 02-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #169
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Definitely, it looks fantastic. The combination of the actor's physique (Cavill's) and padding plus the suit is some of the best I've seen so far.

Hell, it looks great on Shannon too and he doesn't have a lick of muscle. lol

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #170
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal L View Post
I wonder the same thing and found this on google.

That is one badass picture of Supes.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #171
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
That is one badass picture of Supes.
agreed! They need a new Superman cartoon with the Man of Steel suit. I'd LOVE to see a Man of Steel tie in cartoon come out after the movie...where it follows Superman on a smaller scale. That would be cool

Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #172
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Yeah, I hope that Man of Steel becomes so successful the design bleeds into comics and other media. It's a great design that isn't over complicated.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #173
Super Kal
Side-Kick

in all honesty, i dont see that happening. the closest it came to something like that was the comic run that featured Richard Donner, and still that design was very much adapted for a comic book.

personally, i hope this specific suit does not become that popular. with the new digital continuity-free Adventures of Superman bringing in the classic Superman suit and the end of the lawsuit between WB and the Shuster/Siegel families, i see a high possibility that the classic look coming back full throttle. the fact that DC Comics is doing well in comic book sales in not because of the suit, but because of the stories. the suit itself has no play in this run, since in the past, the classic suit did just fine.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #174
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

The MoS suit is still leagues above the Nu52 design. I personally do hope it does sink in.

TDK suit permeated itself into other Batman media, I'm sure MoS can do the same if it's received well.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #175
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
The MoS suit is still leagues above the Nu52 design. I personally do hope it does sink in.

TDK suit permeated itself into other Batman media, I'm sure MoS can do the same if it's received well.
I sure hope so...I really dislike the New 52 suit

Closed Thread