Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #776
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Default Re: Dead Space 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
I think those side missions are designed more for co-op. Iv loved completing those mission with my co-op teammate. Some of the gear you get ya just cant pass up.
Yeah, that seems to be the case with many of them. I just don't particularly like how most of them play like: "Enter room, fend off Necromorphs while door opens," and finish with "Call elevator, fend off Necromorphs while elevator arrives."

It's just really uninspired.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #777
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

As long as you keep sending your drones out and keep cashing in your ration seals you don't really need the supplies out of those things all that much.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #778
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

True, but I didn't want to miss anything the first time through, especially since there's audio logs and text logs and artifacts in those missions.

I think on my second playthrough I'll just skip that crap.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #779
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Yeah the audio logs are the only saving grace for any of that to me. I thought the bit with the two guys going to investigate the supply depot and what happens from there was pretty good. I didn't finish it but the logs at the start of the Reaper barracks was also pretty good.

The Doctor
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #780
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

The audio and text logs are what makes the main story fall kinda flat to me. They had all these great ideas and rich history of this planet and the facility there, but that stuff is seemingly only explored through text logs and crap.

Isaac's story just seems totally disconnected from his environment this time, which is just kinda weird. They definitely made some odd choices not "where" to take the story, but "how" the story gets there.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #781
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

That completely inane love triangle they decided to try and explore really knocked the wind out of the game's narrative sails. Once it gets resolved the story really started to pick up for me. Its a shame that makes up so much of Isaac and Ellie's storyline in this game.

The Doctor
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #782
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

That's exactly where the story picked up for me, too. Before that I just found it was kind of dramatically weightless and the narrative was cluttered and kind of annoying. I have no idea why they decided to go that route in the first place.

I guess they were just really stuck on Isaac being an unwilling hero or some crap.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #783
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Eh save for Dead Space 2, this series has never had a strong narrative. Dead Space was just one endless fetch mission with no real explanation, so in a sense this game truly does return to its roots.

The deeper I get into this game the more I hate the whole religion based element to this game. It was hokey and lame from the jump and it's no better here.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #784
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I would disagree about DS1. DS1 was all about Isaac's crew responding to the Ishimura's call and getting stuck in a nightmarish situation. I agree that it was a lot of "hey we need this part!" kind of thing, but the overall narrative was still pretty great. You got some insight as to what happened on the ship, there was the story about finding the marker on the planet, etc. The story starts as a survival story and getting off the ship alive, then turns into a story about defeating the marker and Unitology conspiracies and stuff. All of it was pretty strong if you ask me.

In DS3 I often forget just WTF they're trying to accomplish in the first place. It's kinda like "Isaac, we need this engine part pronto!" and I'm like "Alright, cool, I'll go get it!" then I'm kinda like "Wait, why the hell do we need this again? To open some door or something? Oh, ok..." Then we just wander around the ice planet looking for....something? I'm not sure what.

There just isn't a very strong "big" story IMO. Not that it's bad, just a step down from the amazing and layered story of DS2.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #785
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post

In DS3 I often forget just WTF they're trying to accomplish in the first place. It's kinda like "Isaac, we need this engine part pronto!" and I'm like "Alright, cool, I'll go get it!" then I'm kinda like "Wait, why the hell do we need this again? To open some door or something? Oh, ok..." Then we just wander around the ice planet looking for....something? I'm not sure what.
Thats EXACTLY how you could describe Dead Space. I mean to the letter. Faceless, voiceless engineer runs around a ship turning stuff on...for what again? People were afraid this game would stray too far from its roots yet it goes back to the gameplay elements of the very first game, the only difference here is Isaac will provide a little commentary on it, where as in the orig game, he just did it, without a word spoken.

My biggest issue with the story here and its the same problem im having with Resident Evil is that the story is getting faaarrr too grandiose.
I much preferred it when these necromorphs and markers were limited to a single ship, even the Sprawl i felt was pushing it a bit. Altho i guess its really the only logical step if you want to keep making Dead Space games.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #786
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Meh I never had that problem with DS1. Yeah, they were fetch quests, I'm not denying that. But I never once was like "Wait, why am I doing this again? What's the goal here in the grand scheme?"

The goal was clear from the start: GTFO the ship and survive. The goal in DS3 is still kind of unclear to me and I'm 8 hours in. Find the original marker? Put together some kinda codex thing? The stakes just aren't as high this time, IMO. The narrative isn't as clear.

I guess part of it is that this time Isaac and co. actually go out looking for trouble. They're not just thrust into a terrible situation like the last games. Their objective is just really unclear to me, personally. It's like they all set out on this big "mission" but nobody really wants to be on the mission except Ellie, who can't even really articulate WTF the mission "is" most of the time.

Maybe that'll change in the later chapters, I dunno.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #787
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

The mission is to get rid of the markers. The mission is just as clear here as it was in the orig game, it's just the details of completing the objectives are a little muddy, again exactly the same from the first game.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #788
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Agree to disagree, baldy!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #789
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

The story for all three games are awesome! Enough said.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #790
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Agree to disagree, baldy!
Lol.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #791
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

http://www.gamespot.com/news/uk-char...pace-2-6403704

Quote:
EA's micro-transaction tinged horror shooter Dead Space 3 has blasted its way to the top of the UK charts, though sales were down 26 percent compared to its predecessor.
hmmm

The Doctor
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #792
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

lol "micro-transaction tinged?" Pfffft. I barely even notice they're there.

Also, Pat, I'm starting to see things from your side, you clever assassin, you. I think I've just been bogged down by the sometimes lengthy side quests at times so it kinda makes me forget the general story. I'm nearing the end now, I think, and I'm liking the story a lot more.

I really liked the Reaper side quest. I wish all of them were clever like that.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #793
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
lol "micro-transaction tinged?" Pfffft. I barely even notice they're there.

Also, Pat, I'm starting to see things from your side, you clever assassin, you. I think I've just been bogged down by the sometimes lengthy side quests at times so it kinda makes me forget the general story. I'm nearing the end now, I think, and I'm liking the story a lot more.

I really liked the Reaper side quest. I wish all of them were clever like that.

Eh you're not wrong, I had that issue as well. I got caught up in the side missions or one of the lengthy objectives and id ask my co-op partner 'wait, what was our main objective again?' Then youd be like 'oh yea' destroy the damn marker.

Also what ch was that reaper side quest in? i dont recall that and i know my partner and i have done every side objective that popped up.

And i agree on the micro transaction. I dont even know where id go to buy them? They on the bench screen?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #794
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Eh you're not wrong, I had that issue as well. I got caught up in the side missions or one of the lengthy objectives and id ask my co-op partner 'wait, what was our main objective again?' Then youd be like 'oh yea' destroy the damn marker.

Also what ch was that reaper side quest in? i dont recall that and i know my partner and i have done every side objective that popped up.

And i agree on the micro transaction. I dont even know where id go to buy them? They on the bench screen?
Yeah, it's under Downloadable Content.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #795
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Let me tell you, those sidequests are a **** load cooler as Carver. My buddy was bored but I was freaking out over giant toy soldiers and birthday cakes along with scary dead ladies singing at me, which in turn freaked him out. Awesome fun.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #796
jacobed
Banned User

I really like Carver, I think he's a great addition also I love how Isaac is basically in charge of the whole operation and that he actually wants to kill the necromorphs. I love the little moment where you're in the specimen and putting probes on nodes and right before those little creepy things come at you. He's like alright bring it on. They've done a great job with having Isaac grow as a character throughout these 3 games

Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #797
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I actually thought Carver was boatloads cooler than I thought I would. He's a great character.

I just finished the campaign and overall I'm pretty satisfied. It got a little weird towards the end but it was a neat way to tie the story together. I thought the final boss was laughable, but I guess DS2's final boss was pretty crap, too.

Overall, it's no Dead Space 2 in my eyes, but it was a pretty enjoyable experience overall. I'm looking forward to playing through it again.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #798
jacobed
Banned User

The boss at the end of ch. 13 is one of the worst boss fight ever. That stupid thing is so unfair to fight against to begin with, you have other necromorphs chasing you down of which none drop health. On top of that I'm suppose to turn a generator on. Stupid

Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #799
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
The boss at the end of ch. 13 is one of the worst boss fight ever. That stupid thing is so unfair to fight against to begin with, you have other necromorphs chasing you down of which none drop health. On top of that I'm suppose to turn a generator on. Stupid
It was great in co op. boss fights are supposed to be tough.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #800
Piper Maru
Rides Again

What are some of the weapons you guys have created?

Closed Thread