The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #351
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Default Re: Things you noticed after multiple viewings on DVD / BluRay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
It would be a mess if we go by your mistaken belief that I would simply take what Nolan did and elongate every scene , which I wouldn't just do.

Not when it comes to characterization. Especially crucial characterization that is the start of the turning point of her character. If you are thinking "quick and simple" when it comes to characters, you are not prioritizing the characters. As Nolan has proven not to do so many times. His greatest love is plot. Not character.

Talky? Who said anything about talky?

Naturally I disagree. Nolan totally reduced Selina's characterization to a single verbal sentence. That is not efficient or poignant, just bad.

What visual storytelling? The one line Selina feeds us to signal her change in character?

The greatest, which I really wish Nolan used more.

That is a bold faced lie. He entirely skimmed over the plight of the common man in a couple of montages. Now, I've learned to accept this. Nolan ignored the people. Sure. Okay. But him neglecting Selina Kyle's characterization is a bigger issue to me.

A hypothetical scene of paramount importance detailing her character in the middle stretch of the scene was in the movie? And he left it in the previous cuts? You do realize this isn't praise for Nolan right?

A proposed simple, singular, visual, character scene of Selina is self indulgent and bloating? You must hate every single character driven films ever made.

It's not about understanding. Of course we understand. Nolan, via Selina, tells us what is going on in Selina's mind by neat verbal exposition. What is there not to understand? A child would understand.

No. It's about feeling. Feeling her change. Something, according to the more prevalent criticism of Nolan's work, is a problem his films face constantly. His films stir the mind but not the soul, because he hardly lingers on character.

Repeat? That's the one and only (poorly done) scene of Selina questioning her ideological stance. What repeat?

Thanks for the laugh. Nolan is in no shape, size or form a visual master. He is a master of narrative cinema but he is only competent as an aestheist. Except this film. In this film he isn't a master of anything.

Why devote an entire scene to the stethoscope? It's designed as a brief flashback. It's for Bruce's arc. Not his pop's. Cause he simply exists in flashbacks. He doesn't need an arc. Selina is a living, breathing character in real time. She is not a flashback. She has her own arc. The two can't be any more different if you tried. I am appalled by the comparison.
I'm just going to agree to disagree here. I appreciate that type of film making as well, but it's simply NOT called for in this film, and is not necessary in Nolan's type of film making. All of Nolan's films have been emotional for me, although rarely on first viewing. Fair enough that it doesn't work as well for you, personally, but it works exactly the way Nolan intended for most people. The emotion comes from the way he writes very relatable characters with relatable themes, and how good he is at casting and then just allowing the actors to do their jobs with the great foundation he has built in the writing process. And yes, he is a master of visual storytelling. That IS the art of narrative cinema.

Also, you keep talking as if Selina's characterization in the film was poor, which I just disagree with. It's done very well without feeling like she's padding the movie unnecessarily.

Last edited by TheBat812; 01-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #352
KillerKali

I actually get more irritated with Blake figuring out who Batman is, it's ridiculous but I also understand fitting that into the movie was going to be hard

KillerKali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #353
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Here's something I want to bring up...why do they mess up heist twice in the film? Looking up newspaper clippings from Selina's past, we see the word hiest. Then when Bruce is looking through The Gotham Times at what happened with the stock, there's an article to the side talking about the stock market HIEST. Lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #354
LegendaryCaleb
Ozymandias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Here's something I want to bring up...why do they mess up heist twice in the film? Looking up newspaper clippings from Selina's past, we see the word hiest. Then when Bruce is looking through The Gotham Times at what happened with the stock, there's an article to the side talking about the stock market HIEST. Lol.
for real? haha i never noticed
post pics!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #355
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Haha, either it's some sort of strange inside joke or there's a production designer who wasn't sure how to spell it, and rather than asking someone, just thought to themselves, "i before e, except after c". English...it's a tricky beast!

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #356
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I don't know why there hasn't been any pics of it, but I'll take one whenever I watch TDKR again. And what's funny is that I always took it as an inside joke since it was messed up on twice...maybe they're just telling the viewer 'hi' since this is the last film of the trilogy, lol.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #357
dreamliner
Side-Kick

A bullet goes through Batman's EMP gun but it still works and is shown attached the the batpod. Seconds later the EMP gun is not attached to the batpod anymore.

dreamliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #358
ManBatwoman

1. That Blake's partner is with him when he investigates the dead boy's body that washes up out of the sewer. One flaw of this movie (that epitomizes the BIG FLAWS of this movie) was that Blake's partner becomes a somewhat crucial plot point once he is trapped down in the sewers; he serves to facilitate the audience having an emotional connection to the plight of the police by putting a face and relation to their ordeal.... except.... we the audience DON'T have a connection to him because, we've never seen him before. Except upon rewatch, I realized we did... when he accompanies Blake to investigate the boy's body. But he isn't featured... his one line is off screen and since we hadn't seen him before, we had no reason to LOOK for him.... ridiculous.

2. Blake is the one that "catches" a "distressed" Selina Kyle as she exits the Bar post shoot-out.

ManBatwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #359
kvz5
HBIC

I noticed this when I was making a GIF out of it: During a side view of when maid!Selina was looking at the pictures of Bruce's parents and Rachel, she was wearing the pearls but when the camera is at her back, I swear she's not wearing the pearls.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #360
serb7
Side-Kick

I noticed that when Bruce shows up in the Bat to chase Talia and the bomb she looks shocked, obviously because she thought Bane had him and would probably kill him.

serb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #361
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
A bullet goes through Batman's EMP gun but it still works and is shown attached the the batpod. Seconds later the EMP gun is not attached to the batpod anymore.
The EMT gun isn't used at all once it's shot at, but yah, I also noticed the gun just disappears, much like the Explosive Gel gun in TDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBatwoman View Post
1. That Blake's partner is with him when he investigates the dead boy's body that washes up out of the sewer. One flaw of this movie (that epitomizes the BIG FLAWS of this movie) was that Blake's partner becomes a somewhat crucial plot point once he is trapped down in the sewers; he serves to facilitate the audience having an emotional connection to the plight of the police by putting a face and relation to their ordeal.... except.... we the audience DON'T have a connection to him because, we've never seen him before. Except upon rewatch, I realized we did... when he accompanies Blake to investigate the boy's body. But he isn't featured... his one line is off screen and since we hadn't seen him before, we had no reason to LOOK for him.... ridiculous.
I don't get the point you're making, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I noticed this when I was making a GIF out of it: During a side view of when maid!Selina was looking at the pictures of Bruce's parents and Rachel, she was wearing the pearls but when the camera is at her back, I swear she's not wearing the pearls.
I'm pretty sure she does have the pearls on.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #362
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Haha, either it's some sort of strange inside joke or there's a production designer who wasn't sure how to spell it, and rather than asking someone, just thought to themselves, "i before e, except after c". English...it's a tricky beast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I don't know why there hasn't been any pics of it, but I'll take one whenever I watch TDKR again. And what's funny is that I always took it as an inside joke since it was messed up on twice...maybe they're just telling the viewer 'hi' since this is the last film of the trilogy, lol.
I don't know why but I get the feeling it had to be some kind of inside joke or something. Maybe a joke to us who analyze the movies like this I'm pretty good at spelling but to mess it up twice (the first time clear as day) in the movie is very interesting. I guess it was an honest mistake but then again, how come no one else caught it and corrected it?

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #363
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Lol, I like the "Hi" idea. Actually kinda makes sense if it's some sort of inside joke at the people who obsess over these movies. Which is actually likely the more I think about it.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #364
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Thanks for showing the newspaper

I really have no idea when I'll be watching TDKR again anyways to take it as I'm on a bit of a break on CBMs right now as is usually the case, but, yah, I am sure it had to be an inside joke...I've never heard of a typing error on the same word twice in one film.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #365
RLYHYPERGUY
Side-Kick

I just noticed that when Bane's men search Gordon they give Gordon's gun to Bane, which Bane then uses to shoot the henchman. As if Bane without a gun wasn't scary enough!

RLYHYPERGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #366
Polaris23
Side-Kick

Something that always bugs me in this movie is that some shots are (seemingly unintentionally) out of focus... the one that always stands out to me is in the sewer scene when Batman tells Catwoman, "You've made a serious mistake."
His entire face is soft, the gate is soft, the background is soft, the only thing in focus is his bat-ears/chest area. It's a bit of an amateur mistake, and a crucial moment that it really bugs me. But he looks cool when Bane speaks up and Batman slowly lowers his head to turn around.

Check it out:
www.PolarisCastillo.com
&
www.facebook.com/makeLovetomeinSpace

Last edited by Polaris23; 02-19-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Polaris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #367
RustyCage
Come what may..

^ I always liked that.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #368
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I did as well. I know nothing about filmmaking, so I'd never call it amateur, but I really loved that scene and that particular frame and Batman looking through the bars as a foreshadow really of him being sent to a prison after he gets his ass beat by Bane.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #369
Polaris23
Side-Kick

No I really like the composition and the scene, don't get me wrong, it's just that shot in particular is out of focus, it doesn't seem intentional.

Check it out:
www.PolarisCastillo.com
&
www.facebook.com/makeLovetomeinSpace
Polaris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #370
Tequilla
Side-Kick

I remember reading Wally Pfister saying how diffcult shallow-depth-of-field shots are with Imax. It's really hard to pull the focus of those lenses. Really hard !. He said when he started with Imax , the close-ups were a blurry mess.

That particularly scene , there's a small movement with the camera , then we see Bane starting to get on focus. Its quite a moment. That frame...yes it might be a little too soft. But the whole shot is a magnificent one.

Calling it amateur...im an amateur . This movie had some of the best camera operators of the world. What they achieved with the equipment is just insane. The whole movie is just an astounding piece of composition.

Last edited by Tequilla; 02-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #371
titansupes
Side-Kick

I loved that shot, too (the slow turn). It does look a little soft, though. Not too bad.

If you want to talk about distractingly out of focus, check out Nimoys scene with Quinot at the end of ST '09. Bugs me everytime (that and the fact that Quinto clearly can't do the Vulcan salute properly :P)

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #372
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

In the wall street scene, I can't stand how long it takes for the focus to shift when Bane turns his head slowly to the banker in the chair.

Clearly Bane sees him before we do, and thus it feels like the focus switch was too late.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #373
rickfox
Devil

Sorry,asking this for confirmation

Does anyone notice-or heard(Bluray--between 2:35:32-2:35:33)when Gordon opened file folder,there was a sound occur,- feels like someone throw a little rock to hit surface of metal shell--- (the surface of Bat signal light )Gordon caught that sound---thus he look at that direction where the sound came from and then he discovers
Bat signal light has been refurbished

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #374
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfox View Post
Sorry,asking this for confirmation

Does anyone notice-or heard(Bluray--between 2:35:32-2:35:33)when Gordon opened file folder,there was a sound occur,- feels like someone throw a little rock to hit surface of metal shell--- (the surface of Bat signal light )Gordon caught that sound---thus he look at that direction where the sound came from and then he discovers
Bat signal light has been refurbished
I dont hear anything. The signal was in his eye sight.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #375
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
In the wall street scene, I can't stand how long it takes for the focus to shift when Bane turns his head slowly to the banker in the chair.

Clearly Bane sees him before we do, and thus it feels like the focus switch was too late.
I love the composition of that shot. I don't even see how that shot works in a scope aspect ratio. I never saw it on a standard theater.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote