The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #26
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Default Re: Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread

When they bring in Dinah's mother into the show, I hope she works at a flower shop.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
Syncos
ROFLICIOUS

So this is pretty much Canary. At least we know she can pull the look off. Bring on the Bleach and Leather.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Indy1Jones
Professor Of Nothing

Yeah she can pull it off^^

Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #29
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Now that is Black Canary and I hope they get Dinah towards that. I think she can do without the Canary Cry.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Just from watching Supernatural I knew she could handle the role decently.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
Ryder
Side-Kick

Things are getting good for the character, (slowly but surely) except for one thing.

Its still a shame they got the wrong actress, a miscast and one who is very terrible at acting. Yes the Black Canary needs her canary cry she is crying and screaming right now, with how bad she is being portrayed by this actress.

Katie Cassidy may have had blonde hair and wore fake black leather on Supernatural but she is no Black Canary/Dinah Lance.
Get your balls back from CW dannit, their planted casting is not working. Recast her now PTB and save this character. No disrespect to Ms Cassidy, expect more from a leading lady and an someone playing iconic character. Right now she is barely giving anything. Not her fault much, the role is out of her range and depth.

Last edited by Ryder; 02-10-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
Things are getting good for the character, (slowly but surely) except for one thing.

Its still a shame they got the wrong actress, a miscast and one who is very terrible at acting. Yes the Black Canary needs her canary cry she is crying and screaming right now, with how bad she is being portrayed by this actress.

Katie Cassidy may have had blonde hair and wore fake black leather on Supernatural but she is no Black Canary/Dinah Lance.
Get your balls back from CW dannit, their planted casting is not working. Recast her now PTB and save this character. No disrespect to Ms Cassidy, expect more from a leading lady and an someone playing iconic character. Right now she is barely giving anything. Not her fault much, the role is out of her range and depth.
Not that I'm the biggest fan of Katie Cassidy as Laurel, but your constant dislike of her on this thread is starting to wear thin. You've devoted nearly half of your posts to saying how bad of an actress she is, how she's out of her depth, and how she doesn't fit the role, either in the same breath or individually, ad nauseum. Your fixation on here is very unhealthy, and, frankly, I feel sorry for you.

You don't like her? Fine. But if you have nothing new or constructive to say on the matter, I suggest you keep it to yourself from here on in. It's getting really, really annoying.

So, basically, stop it.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
Ryder
Side-Kick

I had something NEW to say, I was commenting on the latest episodes from burned onwards, especially the latest betrayal. The writing moved and improved, but the acting is still pretty bad. Im reviewing the latest writing and performances here. I do this to try and give the actress a chance, but why do I even each time im left wondering why was she even cast, it was especially worse in Betrayal, after being given so much spotlight you can really see how an actor is doing.

Im so sorry, Im trying to help save this character from a bad portrayal and had enough of watching uninspired work. Either this actress goes, or one day they are going to have to kill this character and bury her deep underground. Are people seriously going to watch while the latter happens. How is she supposed to work when the actress is bringing nothing to this role. I'm not fixated on this actress, quite the opposite actually, I wouldn't even bother with her if she wasnt in this show, im fixated on saving this character!!.

I would rather speak up now than to have to say I told you so later, or be like I wish I had said something. This character needs to be saved ASAP with a recast, otherwise there wont be any thread/s to talk about in the future, Imo.

Last edited by Ryder; 02-11-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #34
Justin
Side-Kick

Kate Cassidy is Laurel. This is the CW Laurel, not the one from the Black Canary comic books. It is their spin on that character, and they want an inspiring female role model for the young teenage girls that are part of their key demographic more than a sizzling blonde sex siren. I see nothing wrong with that. This is a melodrama set towards that demo, not a faithful recreation of comic books for comic book fans, and as such she is entirely passable in her role. The show has been given a second season, is hugely popular with a female audience and she's the leading lady, so make of that what you will.

The character development in this episode for Laurel was outstanding. We got to see her easily handle herself until she was tasered by a credible villain. She got to see vigilante in a good light and the police in a bad one. Also showed that Arrow and her cause to do good was more important than Tommy, which in turn sets Tommy up against Arrow. This is exactly how she should be progressing from now on in.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #35
Ryder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Kate Cassidy is Laurel. This is the CW Laurel, not the one from the Black Canary comic books. It is their spin on that character, and they want an inspiring female role model for the young teenage girls that are part of their key demographic more than a sizzling blonde sex siren. I see nothing wrong with that. This is a melodrama set towards that demo, not a faithful recreation of comic books for comic book fans, and as such she is entirely passable in her role. The show has been given a second season, is hugely popular with a female audience and she's the leading lady, so make of that what you will.
I'm pleading for a CREDIBLE and GOOD ACTRESS, not just a "blonde sex siren" lol. Really, hair color is not the problem here, its not like the actress isnt a natural blonde. Black Canary/Dinah L. lance is more than just a blonde sex siren btw, there is more to the character than just sorting and casting any actress with natural blonde hair and some "kung fu" skills to play her. This role required some maturity, stamina, convincing compassion, good acting etc Cassidy isnt bringing that. She is the total opposite of this character and not a good actress to pull it off. She was 25 and the character is 28 year old, thats just fishy, normally they would cast someone who is in their early 30s. Age is just but one factor wrong with this casting.

CW wants a female role model for their young female followers thats great, except Katie Cassidy isnt really what I would call a good role model, sorry. So it really was not worth sacrificing this character and depriving her of a suitable and good actress..The series need a strong female lead too. When you do such a planted casting you have to make sure the person is more than perfect for the role and their acting skills make up for it. But no, tens or hundreds of better qualified actors here, were denied a chance to get this role.

They did not do the actress any favour. Both the actress and the character are suffering here, they each would gain more followers and be doing better had they cast the actress in a role that plays to her strength better ("bad/rich" girl something like that)and had they cast an actress who suit this role too. Them just giving their pet favourite CW actors roles without caring if they suit the character or not, is why both (ladies)are in this mess imo & partly why the network is struggling too, it not always a good thing. My opinion on this casting is really not that of an uncommon opinion, just saying.

Quote:
The character development in this episode for Laurel was outstanding. We got to see her easily handle herself until she was tasered by a credible villain. She got to see vigilante in a good light and the police in a bad one. Also showed that Arrow and her cause to do good was more important than Tommy, which in turn sets Tommy up against Arrow. This is exactly how she should be progressing from now on in.
Better writing, yeah. Things are moving along. At least there is that for me.

Thats my contribution here, hopefully one day it pays off and helps save this character before its too late.

Last edited by Ryder; 02-12-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #36
Justin
Side-Kick

Nah, you are just hating now. Some of that shows that you just don't like the girl, and even if she pulled an oscar winning performance out of the hat, you still wouldn't like her.

She is doing fine. She isn't what you want in your black canary, fair enough, but like I say, it's not yours, its CW's and they seem happy with her. Also where has it ever been mentioned that Laurel is 28? It hasn't. Perhaps that is her age in the comic books, but again you are comparing her to a character she is not playing. This is a reimagining.

She isn't going anywhere so either learn to like her, or go back to the comic books, but constantly pulling everything she does apart is getting boring.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #37
Ryder
Side-Kick

She is 28 thats a FACT, Ollie is 27, Tommy is 28. No my friend, Im not confused. I know perfectly well the difference between this show and whats in comics.

No I'm not hating, just saying the truth as I see it, no sugar coating here. Agree to disagree with me, because Im not going to be stopped by you accusing me of things. Sorry I will do and say whats necessary to save this character.

Last edited by Ryder; 02-12-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
Project862006
Banned User

GTFO out this thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
greenlantern248
Side-Kick

It's not your character to save though. Like Justin said this is the way the CW is going with the character. Unless you are on the producing crew of the show. There is nothing you can do or say to change that.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #40
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlantern248 View Post
It's not your character to save though. Like Justin said this is the way the CW is going with the character. Unless you are on the producing crew of the show. There is nothing you can do or say to change that.
So, he's not allowed to talk about it? It's futile but it is perfectly legit.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #41
Ryder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamAdams View Post
So, he's not allowed to talk about it? It's futile but it is perfectly legit.
Exactly.Thank you. This is the right place & I have legits reason here.

Which may or not pay off one day, I would rather do something than sit on the sidelines, while this character is slowly drowning from a bad potrayal, will be in a diminished role or go into extinction one day due to bad casting that could have been avoided and still can be delt with.

Anyway im not gonna bring it up, I have said all I have to say (4 now).

Last edited by Ryder; 02-14-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #42
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I really hope that the Producers have something good in mind for this character during Season 2 because Laurel is quickly ranking up there with the likes of Lana Lane (Smallville) when it comes to being somewhat of an nuisance to watch whenever affiliated with the male lead of the show.

The only times that I've enjoyed seeing her character is when she was not paired up with Oliver on a romantic basis. The whole drama with her family or her doing her job as a lawyer, that was durable and somewhat captivating to watch. But she completely went down the Lana route during the last few episodes of Season 1.

Laurel and Oliver's characters are seemingly at their worst whenever they're together and I mean that on an character and entertainment basis since they're so boring to watch whenever they're trying to have their forced drama moments and their so called "love" came at the expense of Tommy, who unlike Lex, didn't really turn to the dark side and got the lower end of the stick. I mean they spend like most of the season having Laurel develop her relationship with Tommy and she's ready to leave him without an thought when Oliver gives her an way back to him.

And for a guy that's supposed to be his best friend, Oliver was really at his lowest when he went around Tommy's back, despite trying to tell him to get back together with Laurel only moments before.

And even without all of that, what sane person would approve of their relationship at this point given that he cheated on Laurel with her sister was partially responsible for her dying. If Oliver had a conscious, he wouldn't think about going back to her.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #43
brazilian_boy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I really hope that the Producers have something good in mind for this character during Season 2 because Laurel is quickly ranking up there with the likes of Lana Lane (Smallville) when it comes to being somewhat of an nuisance to watch whenever affiliated with the male lead of the show.

The only times that I've enjoyed seeing her character is when she was not paired up with Oliver on a romantic basis. The whole drama with her family or her doing her job as a lawyer, that was durable and somewhat captivating to watch. But she completely went down the Lana route during the last few episodes of Season 1.

Laurel and Oliver's characters are seemingly at their worst whenever they're together and I mean that on an character and entertainment basis since they're so boring to watch whenever they're trying to have their forced drama moments and their so called "love" came at the expense of Tommy, who unlike Lex, didn't really turn to the dark side and got the lower end of the stick. I mean they spend like most of the season having Laurel develop her relationship with Tommy and she's ready to leave him without an thought when Oliver gives her an way back to him.

And for a guy that's supposed to be his best friend, Oliver was really at his lowest when he went around Tommy's back, despite trying to tell him to get back together with Laurel only moments before.

And even without all of that, what sane person would approve of their relationship at this point given that he cheated on Laurel with her sister was partially responsible for her dying. If Oliver had a conscious, he wouldn't think about going back to her.
I agree with this. When Laurel was doing her own thing or with Tommy she was a good character, but I guess since they need to have the romance drama on the show, it's always with her character and it starts to get annoying. Most of her scenes in the last few episodes was "look sad, now look with a sad and wondering face at Oliver" and that was it.

I loved Katie Cassidy in Supernatural as Ruby, she was confident, both the male leads have strong presence but she could hold her own against them. But here in Arrow it's just sad face, next scene wondering face, next scene sad face again....

Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #44
Crossvale
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

I disagree with this, Laurel spend most of season 1 with Tommy at the expense of her other personal life with her job, friends and family, that relationship was whats really bad for the character and dragging her character down. Her main role this season had been to be by Tommy's side, supporting and comforting him even when he was selfish to do the same himself. Now I for one dont want to see her being nothing but a love interest to Oliver next season, even though I like them together. Being associated with Oliver is IMO good for her, he is the main character after all, anyone who matters has some kind of relationship with him and it will bring her closer to being on the team of heroes. As much as Im sad Tommy is dead, Im happy that triangle and Laurel/Tommy relationship is done and gone. Now she has more time to pursue other things. I feel that will really be beneficial for Laurel in season 2 and she will get more time to develop as Black Canary and also she will be more of a well rounded character. So I cant wait for s2 and Im optimistic that we will see some good changes with her

People need to give this character more time, she hasnt even reached the best she could be yet, she is still recovering from all the trauma in her life and putting her life back together. Im sure some of you guys as superman or smallville fans know how much people judged Lois harshly when she first got in the show, but seasons later things changed and she became more well liked. So really i dont believe that the first season is a full and true reflection of who a character is, some characters need time to develop.

Quote:
Laurel and Oliver's characters are seemingly at their worst whenever they're together and I mean that on an character and entertainment basis since they're so boring to watch whenever they're trying to have their forced drama moments and their so called "love" came at the expense of Tommy, who unlike Lex, didn't really turn to the dark side and got the lower end of the stick. I mean they spend like most of the season having Laurel develop her relationship with Tommy and she's ready to leave him without an thought when Oliver gives her an way back to him. And for a guy that's supposed to be his best friend, Oliver was really at his lowest when he went around Tommy's back, despite trying to tell him to get back together with Laurel only moments before.
The writers decided to kill Tommy off the show because they felt they NO longer needed the character, so I dont get why you have to blame Laurel and Oliver for that. If they felt the character was important he wouldnt be dead. If you must blame someone blame the writers, not the characters or at least blame Malcolm because he is the one whose plan resulted in his son getting killed. Ummm If we all remember correctly it was Tommy who broke up and let go off Laurel, not the other way round. Why is laurel being accounted for something Tommy did, thats hardly fair. Im sorry that you liked Tommy and he got killed off, sorry for that, but there is no reason to pass blame on Laurel or laurel and Oliver for something they aren't responsible for. I dont deny they broke his heart a little when he saw them together and when Ollie gave him advice then the same day got back with Laurel, that wasnt right but they are not responsible for him dying.

Quote:
Oliver as many characters in this show is a flawed person and "hero". Thats usually the way he is potrayed as a character.

Last edited by Crossvale; 06-07-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #45
Pepsiguy2
Snyder Worshipper

Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #46
SuperJediHero
Banned User

When is she supposed to be in character of Black Canary?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #47
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

just seen the news of the casting of Caity Lotz as the rumored new lance sister and BC.

if that turns true in anyway. then seriously missed opportunity WB

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #48
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I ended up missing Arrow during the semester because of work, but, I have been catching up on it, and am loving what I am seeing. In all honesty, I feel the first few episodes form a superior origins tale to Batman Begins, even though the show uses scenarios from BB.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #49
regnak
Side-Kick

Let me say that I don't want Laurel to be raped, scarred or permanently injured like she was in one old comic IIRC.

That said does she need her own time in hell? Obviously she cannot go to the island but suppose she were to experience a Patty Hearst style kidnapping and be tormented and terrorized for a week or two? That could lead to her being desperate/determined enough to do anything to get good enough that it would not happen again. That could lead to Ollie training her. Or if he shows up as an anti hero maybe Ollie could arrange for Slade to train her? If he turns up as a mercenary it would be easy money.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #50
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

The season finally got me thinking, All she really has is her father who is a cop. His whole thing he even says on the show is that the law is good and unchanging and right. But now he is basically fired. Maybe later in the show her father not only begins liking Oliver but also liking the vigilante more than his old cop buddies who tossed him aside when he tried to save the Glades. Maybe. And when he actually dies in the line of duty it will effect her a great deal.
She will see how the vigilante has been more effective in the city than the law and how not even her father nor her had as much effect.
Also I think finding out Oliver is the vigilante (who I hope they start calling Green Arrow) will effect her a great deal as well.
So her father's opinion coming around about Oliver and the vigilante, then him dying no thanks to the help of the Starling City law, and finding out Oliver is the vigilante could give her reason to turn to vigilantes at the very least.

However I didn't see the show going the way it did, so maybe it could do it in an even more interesting all be it convoluted way.

Another thought,
if the Flash does have a cameo/guest appearance on Arrow, that means super powers are going to be brought in. Including super criminals, but thats a different matter.
But if Laurel becomes super powered, then I see her feeling like she has no choice.

And yet another theory,
What if Dinah Laurel Lance isn't Black Canary. What if her sister, Sara. What if they reveal that Sara's first name is Dinah also. Maybe thats why Laurel goes by Laurel.
What if she returns and to help her cope with what happened to her... oh, wait. She wasn't on the island with Oliver and there wasn't a second Hell Island. So maybe...

Anyway, about Laurel and also Oliver's sister.
I keep waiting for him to start bonding with them by teaching them about combat and archery and his time on the island. I'd love to see Oliver feel like his sister, hanging out with guys like Roy, needs to know how to defend herself. So he begins teaching her archery, and finally telling her about what happened to him on the island. I feel that is long over due.
The same can happen with Laurel. I'd like to see him finally tell her about his time on the island and maybe start combat training with her. But that requires maybe her knowing who he is... Green Arrow.

But another thing that hasn't been shown yet.
How does Slade Wilson go from being a gruff but good guy and friend to Oliver to a merciless mercenary who hates Oliver and kills for money at the very least and at the most wants Oliver dead? I mean when they picked him up Slade's mask was arrowed as a warning sign on the island and Slade was gone as well as that Shadow (name?) woman. So what happened? Did they become enemies and fight it out? Did Slade leave Oliver or did Oliver kick him off the island or what?
This could lead to Slade kidnapping Laurel and training her, even brainwashing her, over the coarse of a season. She already is a skilled fighter because of her father so they could reason it wouldn't take long. But that season's plot could be "the Search for Dinah" and Oliver could finally find her working for Slade and is brainwashed and the its Oliver versus Laurel and Slade.

But there are several ideas I would love to see happen on the show as it progresses. Like Felicity Smoke, John Diggle, and Roy Harper becoming Oliver's team. All contributing to Oliver becoming a more non lethal vigilante. Maybe even getting him, inventing, non lethal arrows like flash grenade arrows and taser arrows and net arrows, etc.

Last edited by Artistsean; 08-08-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Closed Thread