The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #176
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
The MoS suit is still leagues above the Nu52 design.
granted

Quote:
TDK suit permeated itself into other Batman media, I'm sure MoS can do the same if it's received well.
Unless you have a recent comic book that shows the TDK suit for verbatim in the comics, I have to disagree with you on that

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #177
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Well since we're all exchanging ideas about the New 52 suit, I might as well throw my two cents in, as it were.

I posted this in the Fanart & Manips Thread, but I just wanted to gauge some responses regarding some...tinkering that I've done with the New 52 suit. I am fully prepared for flamings haha, so please, be honest.

Spoiler tags for your consideration

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #178
Super Kal
Side-Kick

no thanks. too much yellow for my taste

Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #179
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
granted

Unless you have a recent comic book that shows the TDK suit for verbatim in the comics, I have to disagree with you on that
I said Batman media not only comic books (but I can do that too). Look no further than his suit in Injustice: God Among Us.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #180
Super Kal
Side-Kick

still not a verbatim suit- and it doesn't change how awful both superman suits look in design... again, just my opinion

Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #181
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
still not a verbatim suit- and it doesn't change how awful both superman suits look in design... again, just my opinion
Clearly there's an influence from the Nolan Batman suit and that's what I was referring to the MoS suit permeating across Superman media.

I never said that the exact suit would be carbon copied entirely. Point is that if MoS is successful it will most likely influence how his suit will look like across the Superman franchise as a whole and that to me isn't a bad thing.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #182
Super Kal
Side-Kick

And why exactly is that not a bad thing?... Everything we've seen so far is almost a direct copy of an earlier script development... The suit, the neo-medieval krypton, nano-technology, etc... Fans alike already hated this crap back when MCG was directing it. I guess the general public has forgotten about the development hell of the 90's...

Poop is still poop no matter how much sugar you sprinkle on top, and a bad idea is still a bad idea no matter how many times one has to try it.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #183
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
...Everything we've seen so far is almost a direct copy of an earlier script development... The suit, the neo-medieval krypton, nano-technology, etc... Fans alike already hated this crap back when MCG was directing it. I guess the general public has forgotten about the development hell of the 90's...
I wasn’t aware of any universal criticism of the “neo Medieval” approach. We’ve only seen a few costume samples and we don’t know how well the motif will be integrated with Kryptonian technology, architecture, etc. I think most of us are taking a wait-and-see attitude. Same with the “nano suit” (which at this point is still speculation, not confirmed). (Also: I think the general public was largely ignorant of any “development hell.”)

Quote:
Poop is still poop no matter how much sugar you sprinkle on top, and a bad idea is still a bad idea no matter how many times one has to try it.
And the flip side: good designs and concepts that were part of cancelled projects remain good designs and concepts.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #184
BatZiLLa54
Side-Kick

So which color do you think we're going to get in the movie?

This

or

this

Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #185
The Watchman
Balls McGee

You would think the magazine colors, given they were likely corrected to match the movie corrections...but hard to tell.

I just blue myself
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #186
elgaz
Side-Kick

I'd say the darker ones. One's an official photo, the other is a set pic ........ I'd be inclined to trust the official photo.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #187
The Shield
It's really Happening!

umm... why not the colors from the actual movie trailer??

Done.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #188
The Watchman
Balls McGee

Hold on...there's a trailer for this Muuuveeee?

I just blue myself
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #189
The Shield
It's really Happening!

That's what I heard from a guy who knows a guy that saw a guy watch it.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #190
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I wasn’t aware of any universal criticism of the “neo Medieval” approach. We’ve only seen a few costume samples and we don’t know how well the motif will be integrated with Kryptonian technology, architecture, etc. I think most of us are taking a wait-and-see attitude. Same with the “nano suit” (which at this point is still speculation, not confirmed). (Also: I think the general public was largely ignorant of any “development hell.”)
back in the 90's, when the "neo-medieval" Krypton was being used int he Abrams script, not to mention Ty-Zor, and the crazy suit design... many posters here on SHH have already noticed many similar distinctions between the past productions and this production.
a lot of these concepts were leaked, and the fans hated them, and thats a big reason why it never got made. why do i bring this up? because those same fans who hated it so much in the 90's are now rejoicing over it today... personally, i see that as hypocrisy. people hated to see what Jon Peters did to the Superman movie franchise, and yet many of his designs are very obvious in this movie- i find it ridiculous to call this movie new.

Quote:
And the flip side: good designs and concepts that were part of cancelled projects remain good designs and concepts.
true- but if this nano-tech crap is true, it shows that WB is still trying to make money off of old and deserted projects... somewhere right now, Jon Peters is laughing, saying to himself "Im still getting my Superman film. Maybe not exactly what I wanted, but in some form, I'm still getting it."

if they wanted a new and fresh idea, they should of made a Fleischer piece. That would of been new. That would of been unheard of. That would of been amazing. That is what needs to happen, IMO.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #191
dark_b
Side-Kick

close up for debate . i think they should used a different pattern for the boots and shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrobot View Post

Simply incredible details...

Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #192
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

I feel the boots should have the same texture as the cape, the shield and belt should've been smooth like the blue piping.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #193
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Since Super Kal brought it up, I have to admit, I really hate the nano-suit idea. To me, the idea of Superman pressing a button or something and his suit spreading over his body just screams cheesy 80s or 90s cartoons and stuff like PowerRangers. Yes, I know the classic solution of Superman hiding his cape and boots under his clothes strains credibility but, to me, the nano-suit idea is more offensive because it undermines the understated, serious, realistic (for lack of a better word) approach the filmmakers seem to be taking with Man of Steel. General audience moviegoers will ignore the problem of the boots and cape, just like they ignore Batman's eye makeup and other such problem inherent in the genre provided they are caught up the story and what is going on onscreen. I think they will be more put off by the silliness of a Power Rangers style suit up. It would just be jarring.

Last edited by DKDetective; 02-13-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #194
fanboiii
disciple of truth

It's all under armor so I think it's fine having the same texture.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #195
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I have to admit, I really hate the nano-suit idea. To me, the idea of Superman pressing a button or something and his suit spreading over his body just screams cheesy 80s or 90s cartoons and stuff like PowerRangers. Yes, I know the classic solution of Superman hiding his cape and boots under his clothes strains credibility but, to me, the nano-suit idea is more offensive because it undermines the understated, serious, realistic (for lack of a better word) approach the filmmakers seem to be taking with Man of Steel.
Something about the nano suit idea turns me off too. It's too Iron Man. I don't mind him wearing the suit underneath his clothes because it looks really thin. He can detach the cape and stash it in his briefcase or whatever.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #196
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmit View Post
I feel the boots should have the same texture as the cape, the shield and belt should've been smooth like the blue piping.
Agreed. I find the pattern on the shield to be very distracting, taking away some of its ability to work as a "beacon."

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #197
Binker
Side-Kick

Quote:
back in the 90's, when the "neo-medieval" Krypton was being used int he Abrams script, not to mention Ty-Zor, and the crazy suit design... many posters here on SHH have already noticed many similar distinctions between the past productions and this production.
a lot of these concepts were leaked, and the fans hated them, and thats a big reason why it never got made. why do i bring this up? because those same fans who hated it so much in the 90's are now rejoicing over it today... personally, i see that as hypocrisy. people hated to see what Jon Peters did to the Superman movie franchise, and yet many of his designs are very obvious in this movie- i find it ridiculous to call this movie new.
It was actually early 2000s, not '90s.

I myself have pointed out how similar the designs are from Flyby, but I wasn't negative about it. I don't know what was said, but for me, those designs were fine; actually, they're great. Now, I don't think they're using all of them, in fact, I think they're recreating them at best, but creating new ideas for Jor-El and Zod for example. Heck, even Superman's suit in MOS wasn't the suit in Flyby. So, if they're reusing or using the designs to create new ones, it's not a big deal (for me). Those were cool, and I was wishing they'd be seen on screen, but as what-if drawings.

Besides, two things: 1) the only problem I had with Flyby (which, btw, had two drafts and draft 2 was not only going to be the movie, but was better than draft 1) was Krypton existing in THAT movie. That should've been saved for the sequels. And 2) looking like them, influenced by them, etc: it's not been confirmed. Maybe the book will reveal that reason, or their thoughts that led to the (same) neo-medieval look. But regardless, this isn't something to cry about.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #198
Super Kal
Side-Kick

thank you for correcting me on the date... couldnt remember which one it was

it may not be a problem for you, binker, but it's a big problem for me. it shows me that they cant think of anything original

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #199
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
As the various screenplays for Lives and Flyby have surfaced (years after they were written), certainly many fans expressed criticisms about the stories and/or character interpretations. But I’m not sure there was all that much hue-and-cry about their respective design approaches. Since the films were never made, all we have are some vague descriptions and a few concept drawings. So to the extent that fans are liking MOS’s “neo Medieval” motifs (the little that we’ve seen), I think it’s a stretch to charge hypocrisy.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #200
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
As the various screenplays for Lives and Flyby have surfaced (years after they were written), certainly many fans expressed criticisms about the stories and/or character interpretations. But I’m not sure there was all that much hue-and-cry about their respective design approaches. Since the films were never made, all we have are some vague descriptions and a few concept drawings. So to the extent that fans are liking MOS’s “neo Medieval” motifs (the little that we’ve seen), I think it’s a stretch to charge hypocrisy.
Agreed and considering the amount of time that has passed between the reveal of defunct designs and MOS, people are completely in their right to change their minds and tastes.

Closed Thread