The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #926
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Yes, they were making Thor king. I assume the king gets the throne. King, is ruler of the realm. However, after the events of Thor 1, it was clear early on that Thor wasn't ready to be king yet. I take it as, since Loki got sent away, and we didn't get a ceramony again at the end of thor 1 (they wouldn't skip thor's LEGITIMATE coronation), that for now, Odin has taken his place back atop the throne of asgard as king.

Thor will probably be crowned in thor 2. But there is 0% chance he is ALREADY king. Come on now Vartha :P they wouldn't just skip thor getting truely crowned

Vartha's got a point.
In Thor 1, Odin was abdicating to Thor. It most likely wasn't just as a gift to Thor; it was probably because Odin felt he was getting too old or weak to do his duties anymore. (And maybe he sensed the Odinsleep coming on, too...who knows.) So, fast forward through: exiled prince; comatose king; evil usurper; prodigal son returning to set things right in the kingdom again. It's likely that Odin sees now that Thor has matured significantly during the last two movies, and is more than capable of assuming the throne now.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #927
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Vartha's got a point.
In Thor 1, Odin was abdicating to Thor. It most likely wasn't just as a gift to Thor; it was probably because Odin felt he was getting too old or weak to do his duties anymore. (And maybe he sensed the Odinsleep coming on, too...who knows.) So, fast forward through: exiled prince; comatose king; evil usurper; prodigal son returning to set things right in the kingdom again. It's likely that Odin sees now that Thor has matured significantly during the last two movies, and is more than capable of assuming the throne now.
Okay, now I am confused. I dont understand the disagreement. Everything you just said, is EXACTLY what I am thinking and trying to say.

It is my understanding that Vartha is claiming that Thor has ALREADY been crowned king before the avengers? And when Thor 2 starts, he will already have been king. Am I missunderstanding what he was saying?

I have no doubt in my mind thor will become king in this movie. I thought Vartha was trying to say that Thor was ALREADY CROWNED king?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #928
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Remind me again .... when was it rumored we'd get a first look at this film?
unfortunately, not till march-april by "popular word"

Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #929
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Remind me again .... when was it rumored we'd get a first look at this film?
The Phase 1 Box Set will apparently have something, so early April.

Latest is late April when IM3 comes out, they'll definitely attach something to that.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #930
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I thought it was confirmed to be attached to the Oz release, or was that another IM3 trailer?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #931
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Okay, now I am confused. I dont understand the disagreement. Everything you just said, is EXACTLY what I am thinking and trying to say.

It is my understanding that Vartha is claiming that Thor has ALREADY been crowned king before the avengers? And when Thor 2 starts, he will already have been king. Am I missunderstanding what he was saying?

I have no doubt in my mind thor will become king in this movie. I thought Vartha was trying to say that Thor was ALREADY CROWNED king?
Oh. Okay.
Yeah, like you, I don't think something as big as assuming the throne would be something you'd want to do offscreen, between movies. Plus, if Thor was already king, there'd be some indication of that in Avengers.

I think TDW will open with Odin still in charge, but with his subjects in widespread revolt. Could be the political instability that causes Odin to hold off on turning the throne over to Thor; better to wait until peace has been restored for that.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #932
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I think thor will be crowned in this movie. But I think he will give the throne back up, choosing to stay on midgard.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #933
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Thor is not the king. I really seriously doubt it

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #934
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I never thought about Thor being king...that would be kinda neat!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #935
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

If Thor becomes king too soon, then wouldn't that limit him as to how involved he could be with Earth's matters on a story basis?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #936
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Exactly. I could see him becoming King in a third film, when they may take him off the roster.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #937
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Yeah. Or, odin dies, thor takes over as king, inherits odinforce for more power to fight thanos with, gives up throne temporarily, then after stopping thanos, decides to give up the throne?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #938
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Yeah. Or, odin dies, thor takes over as king, inherits odinforce for more power to fight thanos with, gives up throne temporarily, then after stopping thanos, decides to give up the throne?
Well, we would then need Balder to be present in order to have a suitable and canon candidate for him to pass the throne to on any basis.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #939
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I thought it was confirmed to be attached to the Oz release, or was that another IM3 trailer?
According to a reliable poster at the boxoffice.com forums who has sources in the Chinese film industry, IM3 is getting a new trailer on March 4/5, which will (probably) be attached to Oz. Thor's teaser is supposed to hit in mid-April, timed for IM3's release a week or two later.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #940
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well, we would then need Balder to be present in order to have a suitable and canon candidate for him to pass the throne to on any basis.
Or him and Loki can hug it out.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #941
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I dunno. I don't think Odin's going to die any time soon --- unlike Marvel actors such as Natalie Portman and Gwyneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins doesn't seem the least bit inclined to move on....he's at that age/stage of his career where he's happy to get *any* work, he doesn't care if it's popcorn fare or not (see: Ben Kingsley, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, et. al.) Plus, story-wise, Odin's death should be reserved for Surtur....I certainly wouldn't want to see a villain as low-tier as Malekith or Kurse take out the freakin' All-Father.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #942
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

lol noooo, I said Thor was like TWO words away from BEING King at the beginning of the first movie the Cerimony was never finished.
But just because we hear Thor's a General in Dark World, doesn't also mean he's NOT also a King.
LOKI was Given a QUICK coronation, but it was cut out completely and only HINTED at in the deleted scenes. I was just saying with Asgards way of doing things, Just because Odin's alive doesn't mean there can't be a seperate King of Asgard.
It happens quite a bit like Sam said, as a King gets older, there times he'll appoint a successor before he dies that also takes over BEFORE he dies.

Edit: also another item that shows he was about to be crowned, is see the quote in my Signature? That WAS from the Original beginning that was changed in the SDCC footage in 2010
Quote:

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Last edited by Vartha; 02-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #943
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I dunno. I don't think Odin's going to die any time soon --- unlike Marvel actors such as Natalie Portman and Gwyneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins doesn't seem the least bit inclined to move on....he's at that age/stage of his career where he's happy to get *any* work, he doesn't care if it's popcorn fare or not (see: Ben Kingsley, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, et. al.) Plus, story-wise, Odin's death should be reserved for Surtur....I certainly wouldn't want to see a villain as low-tier as Malekith or Kurse take out the freakin' All-Father.
lol too many stories involving Odin to have him die this early lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #944
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Loki has too many daddy issues to get off his chest before Odin dies for good.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #945
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol noooo, I said Thor was like TWO words away from BEING King at the beginning of the first movie the Cerimony was never finished.
Agreed. It was so close, Thor thought it was a done deal.

Quote:
But just because we hear Thor's a General in Dark World, doesn't also mean he's NOT also a King.
Certainly true.

So just to clear things up ('cause I'm confused too), when are you hypothesizing Thor is made king? Between Thor1 and The Avengers? Between The Avengers and Thor2? Or during Thor2? Thx.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #946
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Oh, I personally don't think Odin dies in this movie, nor do I think Thor will be king at the end of it. However, the words of that supposed teaser trailer suggest a coronation. Just tryin to think of a way tht he would give up the position.

Though I think Odin's death should be at Surtur's hands as well. Do you still think Surtur will be the final act of this film? Or thor 3?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #947
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
LOKI was Given a QUICK coronation, but it was cut out completely and only HINTED at in the deleted scenes. I was just saying with Asgards way of doing things, Just because Odin's alive doesn't mean there can't be a seperate King of Asgard.
It happens quite a bit like Sam said, as a King gets older, there times he'll appoint a successor before he dies that also takes over BEFORE he dies.

Edit: also another item that shows he was about to be crowned, is see the quote in my Signature? That WAS from the Original beginning that was changed in the SDCC footage in 2010
Gotcha. I just think thor will end up giving the crown back up to stay on earth. Or may be not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post

Certainly true.

So just to clear things up ('cause I'm confused too), when are you hypothesizing Thor is made king? Between Thor1 and The Avengers? Between The Avengers and Thor2? Or during Thor2? Thx.
I think he means during thor 2. I expect a ceramony, but I am not sure he is going to keep the title

Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #948
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post

Certainly true.

between Avengers and Thor 2

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #949
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh, I personally don't think Odin dies in this movie, nor do I think Thor will be king at the end of it. However, the words of that supposed teaser trailer suggest a coronation. Just tryin to think of a way tht he would give up the position.

Though I think Odin's death should be at Surtur's hands as well. Do you still think Surtur will be the final act of this film? Or thor 3?
I would wait until Thor 3 like part of the Avengers BIG Finale they said was to happen in 2017.
Tho I would leave it open like they did in the books. Have a scene open with black, light slowly focusing in on a body until you see it's Odin. then he wakes and the the movie ends.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Last edited by Vartha; 02-14-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #950
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Loki has too many daddy issues to get off his chest before Odin dies for good.
lol you can say that again lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Closed Thread