The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite of Nolans Batfilms?
Batman Begins 54 20.00%
The Dark Knight 114 42.22%
The Dark Knight Rises 102 37.78%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Batman landing on the ledge and telling Ra's "It ends here" was such a bad ass Batman moment.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I too find myself very drawn in by the first act of TDKR. It has a somberness and longing to it that felt very appropriate given how TDK ended.

It's tough for me to choose between BB and TDKR's first act. BB's first act is pretty much flawless to me. The only thing I can think of as a "negative" is in hindsight, how amazing would stuff like the scenic mountain shots and the ice sword fight have looked in IMAX?

They really just stepped up their game with both sequels in terms of bringing that larger than life quality.
I never thought of that actually.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #28
HitMe
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 85
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

I voted for The Dark Knight. I'm not a huge Batman fan and that's the film that got me interested in the first place, before I even saw BB which I kind of regret a liitle bit now because it would have been good to see them in order.

I do still think the other two are great but TDK floored me when I saw it. Masterpiece.

HitMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Lol, Rises has the lead again? I think Anno has somehow rigged the polls.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??


Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #31
Coffee
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

While BB is my favorite film of the bunch, my favorite OPENING is TDK.

The bank heist & intro of the joker (sans backstory) we're so well down and vastly different than any other cbm movie.

And I liked the opening plane sequence of rises, but I think the robbery tops it.

Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #32
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
While BB is my favorite film of the bunch, my favorite OPENING is TDK.

The bank heist & intro of the joker (sans backstory) we're so well down and vastly different than any other cbm movie.

And I liked the opening plane sequence of rises, but I think the robbery tops it.
Had they kept Bane's ORIGINAL voice for the prologue it might have been my favorite opening in the trilogy.

TDK opening is pretty awesome - you have the introduction to the Joker, in a sequence that recalls, but doesn't exactly ripoff Heat. And then after that you get Gordon on the rooftop waiting for Batman to show up. We get shots of some cops and crooks viewing the signal knowing that he just might be out there, ready to strike. And then we get a quick cameo of a pretty sketched out Scarecrow about to make a drug deal with some of Gotham's criminal underworld. After a brief attempt from the "sons of Batman" the real Batman shows up and cleans house like it's just another night on the prowl.

Even though I feel BB and TDKR first Batman scenes are number one and two, I think TDK first Batman appearance is somewhat underrated. I love how Batman moves so quick and efficiently as he takes out the first three thugs. The way he attacks the kneecaps and rams the first thug against the railing is just a pure Batman moment. And even though, logistically, Batman jumping down the ledge and onto the van doesn't make sense - it's damn well awesome.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
The Eradicator
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 214
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Definitely Batman Begins. Although I gave The Dark Knight the same rating (9/10), BB comes out on top because of how well the origin story is done, especially Bruce's journey. I still think the first hour of BB is probably the best of any superhero film.

The Dark Knight excises some of the more cartoony elements of BB (microwave emitter, crappy dialogue), but I don't think it is as emotionally compelling as BB. Nonetheless, it's still a great film and one of the best sequels ever.

The Dark Knight Rises, although a good film, is the weakest of the three - it could have been the best, but it did not live up to its potential. TDKR suffers from lazy storytelling; it relies too much on the first two films to fill in the gaps of its narrative rather than being a stand alone sequel like TDK was. The flashbacks were a good example of this, and I think Bane was pretty underdeveloped. We don't get any strong sense of what his ideology or motivation is, even though some really juicy lines were sprinkled throughout the film. Ra's was developed much better as a villain with a compelling agenda. The siege of Gotham didn't feel like a real siege, and Bane's revolution came up short. And of course, we don't get to see the point of view of Gotham and the full ramifications of the Harvey Dent lie. Despite all of this, however, TDKR still has some of the most iconic scenes in the entire trilogy. For those scenes alone, it is worth watching.

The Eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #34
Coffee
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Had they kept Bane's ORIGINAL voice for the prologue it might have been my favorite opening in the trilogy.

TDK opening is pretty awesome - you have the introduction to the Joker, in a sequence that recalls, but doesn't exactly ripoff Heat. And then after that you get Gordon on the rooftop waiting for Batman to show up. We get shots of some cops and crooks viewing the signal knowing that he just might be out there, ready to strike. And then we get a quick cameo of a pretty sketched out Scarecrow about to make a drug deal with some of Gotham's criminal underworld. After a brief attempt from the "sons of Batman" the real Batman shows up and cleans house like it's just another night on the prowl.

Even though I feel BB and TDKR first Batman scenes are number one and two, I think TDK first Batman appearance is somewhat underrated. I love how Batman moves so quick and efficiently as he takes out the first three thugs. The way he attacks the kneecaps and rams the first thug against the railing is just a pure Batman moment. And even though, logistically, Batman jumping down the ledge and onto the van doesn't make sense - it's damn well awesome.
Yeah, and I like that the robbery scene is followed by another action sequence with Batman. TDK just hits the ground running.

Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #35
BatMatt
Side-Kick
 
BatMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morrison Hotel
Posts: 9,615
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

The Dark Knight is a superior film in terms of storytelling and structure, but there's just something about The Dark Knight Rises that tugs at my emotions more, so I give it a slight edge

__________________
Always give your best. Never get discouraged. Never be petty. Always remember: Others may hate you. But those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Nixon
BatMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #36
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,829
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eradicator View Post
I still think the first hour of BB is probably the best of any superhero film.
No doubt about it.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #37
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 66,739
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

I love all of them to the highest degree but Batman Begins takes the cake, I could watch it over and over again and never get tired of it.

__________________
Our Demons
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #38
kvz5
HBIC
 
kvz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,423
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
What about best/favorite first, second, and third act?
I'll play!

First Act (minus the prologue):
BB (damn near flawless for me and this part is a huge reason why BB is my favorite Batman film) >>>>>>>>>TDK>>>TDKR

Second Act:
BB>TDK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>TDKR (the Bruce pit scene is the only saving grace of this act for me)

Third Act (minus last scene):
TDKR>TDK>>BB

Prologue/Intro:
TDK>>>TDKR

Last scene:
TDK>BB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TDKR

Overall:
BB>>TDK (my appreciation for TDK skyrocketed after TDKR came out)>>>>>>TDKR


Last edited by kvz5; 02-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.
kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #39
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I'll play!

First Act (minus the prologue):
BB (damn near flawless for me and this part is a huge reason why BB is my favorite Batman film) >>>>>>>>>TDK>>>TDKR

Second Act:
BB>TDK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>TDKR

Third Act (minus last scene):
TDKR>TDK>>BB

Prologue/Intro:
TDK>>>TDKR

Last scene:
TDK>BB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TDKR

Overall:
BB>>TDK (my appreciation for TDK skyrocketed after TDKR came out)>>>>>>TDKR
I feel ya, nice choices.

I totally share your opinion with the second act of TDKR being that far behind the other films. If it wasn't for Bruce's journey in the pit I'd probably say the second act was a train wreck.

My main gripe with the second act of TDKR is everything we see during Bane's speech should have been further explored. It feels like everything slowed down far too much post Bane's speech. The stuff with Bruce in the pit should have been the slow and brooding material, while what is happening in Gotham should have been all out war, no pun intended.

I'm not sure if I have asked this, but Anno what are your thoughts on the second act of TDKR in particular?

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #40
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

I think the helplessness of the second act is what really sets the tone for the fast and furious third act. The scene in particular where the agents get hung on the bridge, intercut with Bruce throwing a rock at the TV was brilliant. The slower pacing and desolation helped enhance the idea of Gotham dying a slow death, which is what Bane and Talia's plan was all about.

I dunno, I really love the second act. It's where the movie gets its epic mojo IMO. The cameo from Ra's, the flashbacks. I remember being entranced by it when I first saw the movie. The Bruce stuff really brought things back to that glorious first hour of Begins for me. All culminating with one of the most cathartic moments in the trilogy, Bruce's ascent from the pit.

I know I wasn't the one being asked, just wanted to share

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #41
kvz5
HBIC
 
kvz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,423
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I feel ya, nice choices.

I totally share your opinion with the second act of TDKR being that far behind the other films. If it wasn't for Bruce's journey in the pit I'd probably say the second act was a train wreck.

My main gripe with the second act of TDKR is everything we see during Bane's speech should have been further explored. It feels like everything slowed down far too much post Bane's speech. The stuff with Bruce in the pit should have been the slow and brooding material, while what is happening in Gotham should have been all out war, no pun intended.


Bruce's arc at the pit is the only thing that's stopping me from completely hating the 2nd act. TKDR is just... strange. The middle part dragged but, yet as a whole, you feel like TDKR could've been better if it was longer. So, basically, I feel like it wasted the minutes of the 2nd act.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #42
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think the helplessness of the second act is what really sets the tone for the fast and furious third act. The scene in particular where the agents get hung on the bridge, intercut with Bruce throwing a rock at the TV was brilliant. The slower pacing and desolation helped enhance the idea of Gotham dying a slow death, which is what Bane and Talia's plan was all about.

I dunno, I really love the second act. It's where the movie gets its epic mojo IMO. The cameo from Ra's, the flashbacks. I remember being entranced by it when I first saw the movie. The Bruce stuff really brought things back to that glorious first hour of Begins for me. All culminating with one of the most cathartic moments in the trilogy, Bruce's ascent from the pit.

I know I wasn't the one being asked, just wanted to share
Ra's' cameo was off the charts with "mojo". When I first saw it in the theaters I was mesmerized; such a simple moment but it meant so much. I agree that the hanging of the agents trying to help Gotham was pretty damn brutal. I was shocked Nolan went that far, but damn happy he did.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #43
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post


Bruce's arc at the pit is the only thing that's stopping me from completely hating the 2nd act. TKDR is just... strange. The middle part dragged but, yet as a whole, you feel like TDKR could've been better if it was longer. So, basically, I feel like it wasted the minutes of the 2nd act.
Indeed. At first I felt like there wasn't enough of Bruce in the pit, but after seeing the film a few times; Bruce had enough time down there to "rehab" himself, it's what's going in Gotham that I found problematic.

I would have loved more focus on the cops being hunted, have maybe a close call with one of Gordon/Blake's fellow officers almost getting killed. Hell, it could have been Foley almost getting killed, and it would have made the character all the better.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #44
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

I do agree that TDKR is structurally odd though. I mean, basically the villain wins and the hero loses midway through the movie, and we just kind of have to deal with it for a half hour. I thought it was compelling stuff. It's worlds apart from the pulse pounding second act of TDK. TDK is basically in a constant state of climax from the SWAT chase on. Everything is extremely urgent, and the movie barely lets you catch your breath.

Contrast that with the second act of TDKR, where we take a little breather to discover the backstory of Ra's al Ghul and his child in the pit. It takes a more exotic, almost indulgent turn, but I really appreciated touches like the visual mirrors between young Ra's and Bruce from Begins. It's where the movie really takes on this grander idea of fathers and legacies, tying back to Begins and setting up the ending. I don't think I'd think of TDKR as an epic if not for the second act.

Honestly, my only gripe with the second act is I would have liked to see more Selina. The Gotham POV thing never bothered me much, because I was fully invested in Bruce's story and didn't want any more subplots cutting into that. It did kind of become the Gordon and Blake show though, and I would have liked one additional Selina scene as to not lose track of her in the story. I think people probably would have had less of a problem with her killing Bane if they had shared a meaningful scene together earlier.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 02-13-2013 at 10:27 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #45
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

First act:
Batman Begins

Second act:
The Dark Knight

Third act:
The Dark Knight Rises

Which, coincidentally, is funny seeing as how BB is the first film, TDK is the 2nd and TDKR is the 3rd, haha.

Best intro:
Batman Begins(yah, yah, I said it...while the prologues showing Joker and Bane are great, I just love the beginning of BB where Bruce is having a nightmare and waking up inside a prison..thus beginning Nolan's amazing story)

Best ending:
The Dark Knight Rises


Last edited by Anno_Domini; 02-13-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #46
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I'm not sure if I have asked this, but Anno what are your thoughts on the second act of TDKR in particular?
Out of topic, but holy damn I'm sneezing up a ****ing storm right now...

anyways, back on topic, haha...the second act of TDKR was okay. It had me invested only because of Bruce and that's what the film was basically about, a character piece on Bruce Wayne and the "ending" of his journey as Batman. But then during the Gotham scenes, I felt they focused too much on Blake and while I get that with it having to focus on him since he's trying to save Gotham in his own ways as much as Gordon, I would have preferred half the focus to be on Selina and maybe her backtracking on this whole "Storm is coming" ideal and breaking off things with Jen and realizing that she can be a better person which would lead right into helping that kid out with the apple.

I don't mind the idea of there being less of a POV of Gotham City, but I would have have liked these ideas(that are really for the first act and second): the mayor having a press conference talking about Batman's return and how he will be taken in where Gordon and Foley are watching right before Blake enters the hospital room to talk about Daggett's body being found; while Gordon, his men and Miranda/Talia are being sentenced, I would have wanted people to throw stuff at Gordon(I get how the lie and what not quiet down after Gordon went into hiding for months, but this would have been a perfect scenario for the criminals and lower-class Gothamites to voice their opinions).


Last edited by Anno_Domini; 02-13-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #47
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
First act:
Batman Begins

Second act:
The Dark Knight

Third act:
The Dark Knight Rises

Best intro:
Batman Begins(yah, yah, I said it...while the prologues showing Joker and Bane are great, I just love the beginning of BB where Bruce is having a nightmare and waking up inside a prison..thus beginning Nolan's amazing story)


Best ending:
The Dark Knight Rises
Very ballsy choice my friend. Very ballsy indeed.

It's been said before, but it speaks volumes at how this trilogy is perceived, especially with everyone's own personal favorite moments and story arcs. It really makes for interesting discussion.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #48
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Yah, I can see why it would be called ballsy, but again with the idea of me enjoying the trilogy because of Bruce Wayne first and foremost...the villains take a backseat which is sometimes different when looking at Burton's duology or even Schumacher's...when Bruce walks out of prison to get his food...and that music starts...we're all in for a ride.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #49
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Out of topic, but holy damn I'm sneezing up a ****ing storm right now...

anyways, back on topic, haha...the second act of TDKR was okay. It had me invest only because of Bruce and that's what the film was basically about, a character piece on Bruce Wayne and the "ending" of his journey as Batman. But then during the Gotham scenes, I felt they focused too much on Blake and while I get that with it having to focus on him since he's trying to save Gotham in his own ways as much as Gordon, I would have preferred half the focus to be on Selina and maybe her backtracking on this whole "Storm is coming" ideal and breaking off things with Jen and realizing that she can be a better person which would lead right into helping that kid out with the apple.

I don't mind the idea of there being less of a POV of Gotham City, but I would have have liked these ideas(that are really for the first act and second): the mayor having a press conference talking about Batman's return and how he will be taken in where Gordon and Foley are watching right before Blake enters the hospital room to talk about Daggett's body being found; while Gordon, his men and Miranda/Talia are being sentenced, I would have wanted people to throw stuff at Gordon(I get how the lie and what not quiet down after Gordon went into hiding for months, but this would have been a perfect scenario for the criminals and lower-class Gothamites to voice their opinions).
Allergies, I'm assuming? If so, mine don't start up until early summer, lol.

But yeah, I would have liked more of a reaction to Batman's initial return. I mean, him showing up is a pretty big deal, right? Then after he comes back, he disappears again just when Bane takes over Gotham. Kind of odd, indeed. Perhaps I missed something?

Definitely agree that Gordon should have had a Mea culpa of sorts. It's dealt with in the film, but it is extremely skimmed over for such a vital part of the Dent cover up plot. I think if you take out the bomb subplot, or at least it being a time-bomb; you could have added this type of stuff in.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #50
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Yah, I can see why it would be called ballsy, but again with the idea of me enjoying the trilogy because of Bruce Wayne first and foremost...the villains take a backseat which is sometimes different when looking at Burton's duology or even Schumacher's...when Bruce walks out of prison to get his food...and that music starts...we're all in for a ride.
"Can't they kill me before breakfast?"

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.