The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #176
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

Default Re: James Gunn is directing Guardians of the Galaxy!

James Gunn ‏@JamesGunn
Yesterday 1 of the prop guys creating a particular prop asked me if it was around the size of a cricket ball. Haha! #London #nonsensesports

Predictions please....

SuperSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #177
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
James Gunn ‏@JamesGunn
Yesterday 1 of the prop guys creating a particular prop asked me if it was around the size of a cricket ball. Haha! #London #nonsensesports

Predictions please....
Even though I think the Gauntlet is in this movie, I wouldn't think someone would compare it to the size (or shape) of a cricket ball. Don't think it's the Tesseract, either, since the prop department would already likely have access to the one that's already been used in three other films.

Probably nothing major, but who knows.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #178
Persona
Side-Kick

i watched Super for the first time recently and rewatched Slither for the first time in a while...

i really feel like Gunn is about as close to perfect a pick for this material as they could have gotten. seriously, it's like a match made in Heaven.

his strengths as a storyteller and his sensibilities are just so in line with GotG, it's a little scary. also, his movies have the nice habit of looking like they cost at least twice as much as they did to make. Slither was made for $15 mil and looks more like 30, Super for 2.5 mil and seems like it should be at least 5. i'm sure GotG will have a hefty budget that dwarfs Gunn's previous work, but i'm also sure that Gunn is gonna get a lot of bang for that buck.

Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #179
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

lol, Gunn is crazy. I know he and Whedon are cut from the same cloth.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #180
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Even though I think the Gauntlet is in this movie, I wouldn't think someone would compare it to the size (or shape) of a cricket ball. Don't think it's the Tesseract, either, since the prop department would already likely have access to the one that's already been used in three other films.

Probably nothing major, but who knows.
Don't you remember the ball they showed at Comic Con along with the other props like Quill's mask and headphones?

Try not to read so deeply into every thing though. His tweet was meant to be humorous, poking some fun at European sports. Sometimes I think that if someone like Gunn tweeted "I farted on set", somebody would jump on here to tell us it means Thanos will show up and gas an entire planet in an act of genocide.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #181
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

And that somebody would be me. Sadly.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #182
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
And that somebody would be me. Sadly.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #183
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Feige was on the Nerdist podcast recently and he couldn't stop singing praise for Gunn. I have to agree that this was one of the best decisions Marvel has made

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #184
gildedmuse
Snark Is A Superpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post
i watched Super for the first time recently and rewatched Slither for the first time in a while...

i really feel like Gunn is about as close to perfect a pick for this material as they could have gotten. seriously, it's like a match made in Heaven.

his strengths as a storyteller and his sensibilities are just so in line with GotG, it's a little scary. also, his movies have the nice habit of looking like they cost at least twice as much as they did to make. Slither was made for $15 mil and looks more like 30, Super for 2.5 mil and seems like it should be at least 5. i'm sure GotG will have a hefty budget that dwarfs Gunn's previous work, but i'm also sure that Gunn is gonna get a lot of bang for that buck.
In an interview during Thor: TDW, Gun went on and on about how every other moment in his life has been virtually meaningless, as it was all leading up to this moment. Yes, he'd been put on this Earth for a higher purpose. And that purpose? To bring us a Guardian Of The Galaxy film!

I figured he'd just been messing with the reporter, but he seemed so happy and delighted I couldn't help but like the guy (I haven't really seen him before). It's nice to see some fans seem to agree with him, though.

gildedmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #185
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Seems like I can't link out to a certain comic book movie site but anyways I'll just quote some awesome tidbits that might not have been seen by you guys yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Feige
Speaking with Total Film magazine, Marvel Studios president of production Kevin Feige talked a bit about Guardians of the Galaxy. “Ninety-nine percent of the film takes place on the other side of the universe with all new characters and all new worlds, although through certain connective tissue – such as Thanos in Avengers and some surprise appearances,” he teased. Suggesting Marvel's been building towards a full-fledged space adventure that'll be Guardians, Feige says “we explored some of that in the first Thor, Avengers and then more so in Thor: The Dark World.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gunn
For his first interview since wrapping principal photography on Guardians of the Galaxy, James Gunn talked with British magazine Small Furry Pets. Revealing his brother Sean Gunn's contribution to the film, Gunn also talks up Rocket Raccoon and his on-set model, a real raccoon by the name of Oreo. “We needed a raccoon to study how he looked and his behavior, so that our on-screen raccoon, which is generated through CGI will be realistic,” he explained. “Our Rocket is based on a combination of our voice actor, Bradley Cooper, our on-set actor, my brother Sean Gunn, the movements and behavior and look of Oreo, as well as my own animation… Bradley is one of those actors that can do drama and comedy equally well. He can do character work as well as being a leading man. These are important qualities in the role of Rocket – which is a lot more dramatic than you might think.” James Gunn once again dubbed Rocket “the heart of the movie” in a separate interview with Total Film magazine. “He is most representative of the Guardians in the fact that he’s this little mangled beast that was taken and experimented on and torn apart and put back together, and we have to feel that character’s soul,” Gunn says. “If we see his plight, and see why he’s such an angry little guy, then the movie will work.”

Back with Small Fury Pets magazine, James Gunn was asked at one point if he would agree with the showbiz phrase 'never work with kids and animals,' considering the filmmaker's Instagram shows him playing with mammals of various shapes and sizes. “In general, I enjoy working with kids and animals” he replied. “We have a child in our film, Wyatt Oleff, who is one of the most naturally talented actors in the film - and this is a movie with Glenn Close and Benicio Del Toro. I've never had a problem with kids. Animals on the other hand - I love them more than anything- but they are, in general, terrible actors. They usually do what they want.”
There more I hear the more my anticipation rises.

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #186
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I just ordered Slither for 2.90 and Super for 3 on DVD from Amazon. Seen them both already, but I feel like watching them again once the release of Guardians of the Galaxy draws near.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #187
addison81
Side-Kick

I haven't seen Slither since theaters, but I remember enjoying it. I own Super and like it. Funny thing is I like violent films but some of Super bothers me haha. I look forward to GOTG.

addison81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #188
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs View Post
Feige was on the Nerdist podcast recently and he couldn't stop singing praise for Gunn. I have to agree that this was one of the best decisions Marvel has made
I guarantee you that come August 15th he won't be saying that. In fact, it's been leaked that Marvel knows Guardians is a "one and done" film.

The trailer is actually cringe worthy. I certainly love Marvel but anyone that thinks this isn't setting up to be a huge flop had better start to check themselves now. Gunn was an awful choice and maybe it wasn't the time to spring these characters on to the scene.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #189
StarLord
Blood Eagle.

Another one of those guys huh?

''It's been leaked'' means absolutely nothing at all.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #190
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

lol "It's been leaked" is becoming the online equivalent of "My uncle is the president of so-and-so, so he knows..."

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #191
StarLord
Blood Eagle.

If people want to use ''leaks'' or ''rumours'' then by all means....

Quote:
Of course, we already know that the first film to kick off Phase 3 will be Edgar Wright's Ant-Man, debuting on July 27, 2015. Marvel has also set dates for at least two more Phase 3 films, including May 6, 2016 and May 5, 2017 -- of course, no titles have been announced just yet.

Many fans have speculated that these two films would be Doctor Strange and/or Black Panther.

However, an insider at JoBlo says that one of the films slated for 2016 is actually a Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.
Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/0...y-2-in-phase-3

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #192
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

"It's been leaked..... from my fevered imagination."

Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #193
-JKR-
Side-Kick

"Oh Gosh, this movie isn't a feature-lenght trailer for the next 'Avengers' movie. IT'S USEEEEEEELEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!"

Old 02-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #194
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
I guarantee you that come August 15th he won't be saying that. In fact, it's been leaked that Marvel knows Guardians is a "one and done" film.

The trailer is actually cringe worthy. I certainly love Marvel but anyone that thinks this isn't setting up to be a huge flop had better start to check themselves now. Gunn was an awful choice and maybe it wasn't the time to spring these characters on to the scene.
lol. You better eat light through July because come August you'll be eating a hell of a lot of crow.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #195
The Endless
WE are Groot

Gunn was the absolute perfect choice for this film. Anyone who had read the comics would totally understand why Marvel chose him. He has a distinct vision and is perfect for this quirky kind of stuff. It's not like WB and Green Lantern where they were just like "oh Martin Campbell is a good director let's pick him!" even though he was totally wrong for the project.

GotG needs a quirky dead pan style to it. The opening and ending of the trailer says to me that Gunn has nailed this. And the cinematography and production design is also spot on.

The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #196
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post

You better be prepared to eat crow then.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #197
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Marvel troll?

The Marvel Studios tag alone will make GOTG at the very least a moderate success, realistically? it should be a hit, people are gonna go crazy at Rocket, Groot, then you got Starlord, Drax, Gamora, a little bit of everything for every demographic, you also get basically Marvel's version of Star Wars, a huge space opera epic, dogfights (as seen in the trailer), it feels fresh.

Tim_Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #198
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I recently rewatched Slither and wrote a review on Letterboxd. Here's what I had to say about it...

SLITHER is a whole lot of fun. I've been saying for a while that James Gunn is a bit like an American Edgar Wright, in that both share an affinity for affectionately lampooning genre fare with films that go beyond mere spoof by actually working as a highly effective example of the kind of film they're homaging. And to carry the analogy further, SLITHER is Gunn's SHAUN OF THE DEAD, a film that is often laugh-out-loud hilarious while also being one of the best schlocky B-movie monster flicks in years.

There are two distinct phases to the film. For the first half hour, I'd argue that the main character isn't ostensive lead Nathan Fillion (on fine deadpan form), but rather Gunn's muse, Michael Rooker. Rooker plays Grant Grant, a downtrodden man in an unfulfilling marriage who is possessed by a genocidal alien parasite. And while the plot dictates that he must feed and spread his contagion through the local population, the film takes a detour as the alien falls in love with Grant's wife, played by the often-underrated Elizabeth Banks, and is taken aback by the fact that he even knows how to love. Rooker is excellent here, and you could have made a whole film out of Rooker's Grant struggling to conceal his monstrous nature from his wife and suppress his base instincts in order to live the new family life he's found himself with. But that's not to be, as this segment of the film gets wrapped up in a surprisingly quick escalation within the film's first half hour.

I briefly mourned the loss of this film-that-might-have-been, as Rooker plays his part so well, and with the script demanding him to disappear for much of the rest of the narrative, the film loses something in his absence. But thankfully, what we get in place of this story in the last hour is heaps of ridiculous, gore-drenched hijinks, as Nathan Fillion's small-town sheriff leads a band of foolhardy souls first in an attempt to hunt down Grant, and then to save the town from an onslaught of alien slugs and zombified townsfolk - though, cleverly, they're not your typical mindless zombies and are instead pitched as obscene parodies of the people they used to be. Things devolve into a film dripping with grue, Gunn evidently relishing the chance to use plenty of old-school practical effects. And the film's influences are broad and shamelessly broadcast: a camera shot straight out of THE EVIL DEAD, a soundtrack riff straight out of PREDATOR, a creature design straight out of THE THING. It's effective as a creature-feature romp, but what makes it stand out is the clever, quirky script from Gunn, acted out by a game cast of comedically-gifted actors. As the town's sleazy mayor, Gregg Henry is a particular standout, which he usually is in the films he's in.

Gunn would go onto refine his craft with SUPER, which even more deftly handles the balance of genre tropes and dark offbeat humor while also injecting an added measure of heart and poignancy, and currently stands as his finest work. But for a feature debut, SLITHER instantly established James Gunn as a writer/director to watch.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #199
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I don't know if this has been shared on the Hype yet, but here's the full 1-hour-plus interview with James Gunn, talking about Guardians of the Galaxy and other stuff. I remember a short excerpt from the interview was posted last week, here's the full thing. The most recent entry on the list:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/...573245978?mt=2

EDIT: Also, here's the Youtube link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK0uEUTEOc

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 02-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #200
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Interview's awesome and funny so far. Love Gunn talking about the absurd "Glen Close" set photos the paparazzi took and sold, haha

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote