The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #376
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Default Re: Star Wars VII Story Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post

Star Wars, as a space-fairytale, fails if its message is that to change the universe, you'd better be the special son of someone special.

Yuck.
....but Luke WAS the "son of someone special" way before midichlorians were ever mentioned. And what about Han? If it wasn't for him, Luke woulda been killed by Vader and the Death Star would have blown up Yavin. I'm no fan of the midichlorians, but the issues some people are making up for them borders on ridiculous.

Last edited by Spider-Who?; 02-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #377
Zanham
Banned User

Only one thing can be said about Star Wars Episodes 7-9 and a potential Solo vs Skywalker showdown:

Han Solo loses we riot.

Zanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #378
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
To me Lucas knows he messed up with that, and I wonder if he wishes he could take that back, because he did not want to bring that up again afterwards.
He did bring it up again, though, in RotS, the opera scene. Granted, it wasn't in a big capacity, but it played a big part in the secret to immortality and Anakin's seduction.

Last edited by Gianakin_; 02-07-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #379
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
....but Luke WAS the "son of someone special"
I know that- it is part of the plot. But I don't think the 'message' of A New Hope is that being the son of someone special makes you special- not least because it wasn't known at the time that Luke was Vader's son.

Again, I am not arguing that the eugenic interpretation of the Force is impossible: that would be fruitless, because it is what Lucas has developed since. What I am saying is that it is undesirable, and it deprives the OT of a lot of its narrative strength. I hope that JJ moves back away from the notion.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #380
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
He did bring it up again, though, in RotS, the opera scene. Granted, it wasn't in a big capacity, but i played a big part in the secret to immortality and Anakin's seduction.
Ah yes, it was. Still a terrible decision lol.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #381
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
I know that- it is part of the plot. But I don't think the 'message' of A New Hope is that being the son of someone special makes you special- not least because it wasn't known at the time that Luke was Vader's son.

Again, I am not arguing that the eugenic interpretation of the Force is impossible: that would be fruitless, because it is what Lucas has developed since. What I am saying is that it is undesirable, and it deprives the OT of a lot of its narrative strength. I hope that JJ moves back away from the notion.
*shrugs* I just don't see it, man. We've understood that being a Jedi (or at least being force-sensitive) runs in the family ever since Obi-Wan gives Luke his "father's light saber" in A New Hope, and it's a notion only cemented further by the revelation that Leia is Luke's sister and she too can learn the ways of the force. Midichlorians don't change that fact, and considering everyone in the universe has them, that means that the ability to be a Jedi doesn't have to run in the bloodline. As someone else said earlier (might even been you, I don't recall), midichlorians was just a cheesy way to measure Anakin's potential. I think you're giving it waaay to much power over the already established mythology, which it, in actuality, doesn't change.

But yes, I'd be very surprised if Abrams mentions midichlorians at all.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #382
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
We've understood that being a Jedi (or at least being force-sensitive) runs in the family ever since Obi-Wan gives Luke his "father's light saber"
I disagree- that just shows us that Luke's father was a Jedi, and ergo it can run in a family. We are not, by the end of A New Hope, led to believe that Luke is able to destroy the Death Star because he has a special daddy; the emphasis is heavily on his leap of faith and Obi Wan's tutorship.

That's the way I see it, anyway. You are entitled to differ: it is clear that Lucas would agree with you.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #383
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think what makes Luke remarkable is not nessecarily how powerful he is, it's the fact that he resists turning to the dark side. Something major where he clearly diverted from the path of his father.

So there is a pretty strong choice over pre-determinism message in Star Wars.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #384
regwec
Shakespearo

But that wasn't really explored in ANH, which was likely to have been a stand alone film at the time it was released.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #385
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
I disagree- that just shows us that Luke's father was a Jedi, and ergo it can run in a family. We are not, by the end of A New Hope, led to believe that Luke is able to destroy the Death Star because he has a special daddy; the emphasis is heavily on his leap of faith and Obi Wan's tutorship.

That's the way I see it, anyway. You are entitled to differ: it is clear that Lucas would agree with you.
I didn't mean to insinuate that if a parent is a Jedi, then their offspring automatically will be as well. More likely? Sure. But it's not an absolute.

We've known Luke was special amongst the rest of the cast since A New Hope, and we've known that he was special in comparison to the rest of the universe since Empire Strikes Back - the Emperor feared him and his potential power - "The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi"; AND that he has a "special daddy" - "No, I AM your father!".

Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #386
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
But that wasn't really explored in ANH, which was likely to have been a stand alone film at the time it was released.
Well, it would have been if it had bombed like the studio was expecting. In various interviews Lucas states that he promised himself he would make the other episodes after he had to make the first act of his story into one movie.

Of course, you have to take a lot of what Lucas says regarding his plan for the saga with a grain of salt as he did change a lot of it as he went along. But for me it's impossible to think of ANH as a standalone film, as the entire trilogy existed before I was even born.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #387
Destructus86
Side-Kick

The way I see it...the Jedi very seldon even mentioned the Midi-whatevers so I don't think that's their focus. The Force is the focus. They are just the "listening device" the more you have...the strong your connection to The Force. It doesn't take away the Mysticism from it AT ALL. It's still an invisible force that binds and connects all living things.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #388
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Exactly. It's no coincidence that "midi-chlorian" sounds similar to mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell as they say. The introduction of some biology into Star Wars doesn't negate the mystical core of the ideas.

One of the key themes of TPM was the symbiont circle of life. I think the midi-chlorians were there to illustrate this idea on a micro level, with the unfortunate side effect being people misinterpreting this as Lucas trying to supplant his mysticism with a scientific explanation for The Force. But I agree 100%, nothing negated the fact that it's an invisible energy field that binds and connects all living things.

That said, I think they can and should be left out of things if they don't jive with the tone of the new movies.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #389
Jedi-Spirit
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think what makes Luke remarkable is not nessecarily how powerful he is, it's the fact that he resists turning to the dark side. Something major where he clearly diverted from the path of his father.

So there is a pretty strong choice over pre-determinism message in Star Wars.
I beg to differ, there were tons of Jedi that never turned, the only two we know about doing that from the films is Anakin & Dooku...I wouldn't call him special because of that...

Jedi-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #390
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi-Spirit View Post
I beg to differ, there were tons of Jedi that never turned, the only two we know about doing that from the films is Anakin & Dooku...I wouldn't call him special because of that...
But how many came face to face with The Emperor and their own father, the two most powerful men in the galaxy, trying their hardest to turn them and resisted?

Anyway my point was I don't see how there's any sort of message in Star Wars that says people are only the sum of their genetics...when the whole point of the story is showing how a son is able to avoid repeating the same mistakes as his father and redeems him.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #391
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
people are only the sum of their genetics...
That is not a fair summary of the point I have been trying to debate.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #392
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
That is not a fair summary of the point I have been trying to debate.
My apologies then.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #393
regwec
Shakespearo

Graciously accepted.

What a nice young man.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #394
Jedi-Spirit
Side-Kick

back to the original topic...how about a story telling us how General Grievous got nourishment for his biological parts?

Jedi-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #395
Professor_X
Side-Kick

Just for fun, here's my Story Synopsis (what can I say, we had a major blizzard this past week, I was stuck inside)

STAR WARS
EPISODE VII
Legacy of the Jedi

It is a chaotic time for the galaxy. After the defeat of the Empire, the HEROIC REBEL ALLIANCE

regained control over Coruscant and freed thousands of other worlds. However, true peace remains elusive.

All attempts to establish a new democracy have failed, causing vast areas of the
galaxy to collapse into ruin while remnant Imperial Governors continue to rule over their rogue systems.

Meanwhile, Ambassador Leia Organa Solo is traveling to the galactic center to assist in the creation of a
new SENATE when her ship encounters the fugitive bounty hunter BOSSK.

Opens above the moon of Endor 30+ years after RotJ. We see a small Imperial craft being chased by a large Republic Cruiser. Similar to ANH, but mirrored so the Rebels are now the big side. Leia, Han and their daughter, Jaina, are on board.

They capture the craft. On board is the Imperial fugitive bounty hunter Bossk. He has a hologram transmission of an Imperial Governor claiming that his system has been invaded. He needs help. Leia senses an opportunity and orders a ship to cautiously investigate.

Jaina is a pilot, and headstrong. She takes a squadron and Bossk takes them back. There are no signs of ships in orbit but as they land they witness an invasion force already on the surface. The world is a giant-crystalline planet. They are shot down, crash, and then begin fighting. They join some Imperials and scrappy Storm Troopers against the barbarian force around them. We are introduced to a new baddie, a big hulking barbarian general. He kills the Imperial Governor before everyone.

Suddenly a small craft lands and a lone figure runs down the ramp, ignites a lightsaber and starts to help the Imperials. He cuts through dozens of baddies. They start fighting along side him and learn he's named Ben, but eventually the huge hulking warrior captures him and they fly off. He drops his lightsaber and Jaina picks it up.

The Imperial takes them to a secret underground cavern, where they travel in a rocket sled. It zips along a cable to another crystal structure in the cavern. They are chased by the warriors in other sleds and eventually captured. (Represents Platos Cave and embracing the Light again.)

Jaina, the Imperial, the Stormtrooper and Bossk are imprisoned and taken to a mother ship and flown off the planet and back to the Barbarian home base. The air is unbreathable and the humans where air tanks. We meet the Barbarian General again. He kills Bossk in front of his army. While in their cell Jaina begins to hear a ‘voice’ and she hatches a plan to break out. It is here that the Imperial reveals that he’s actually a Bothan Spy. They manage to send a coded transmission back to Leia. She recognizes the lighsaber as Luke's No one has seen him in 25 years.

Using the lightsaber, Jaina brakes out of the cell. They make their way thru the base to a ring where the General is fighting the Jedi. The fight is a form of entertainment for the Barbarians. The Barbarian General has force abilities but they are not organized. It’s just raw power.

Jaina she throws him back his lightsaber. The Jedi and the General fight and the General is badly hurt. They all manage to escape the planet and blow up the base. Just as they reach the Republic Fleet they are fired upon by some Barbarian fighter ships who had chased them.

Han helps fight off the fighters and just in the nick of time they are blasted away. He looks out of the window and sees a familiar site. Blocking out the sun is the Millennium Falcon. All parties meet in the hangar bay. A mysterious hooded figure, dressed in white, walks down the Falcon’s ramp and Ben runs over to greet him. “Hi Father”, yells Ben. The figure removes his hood and we see an old Luke Skywalker

Leia and Han are shocked. "When I told you I owed you one, I didn't think you'd borrow my ship for twenty years". And the 3 old friends are now reunited.
Luke reveals the Barbarians are Mandalorians. They are a race with no real civilization, nor any true order. Their ‘leaders’, however usually are dark side users. They intend to invade.

Without explaining anything the two Jedi fly off. We'd follow him to some remote mountainous world. Their ship lands on a tall thin mountain, which resembles the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, but naturally made. It's ancient. At the top is a large flat circular summit, with stone statues of robed figures. They both exit and walk over to a red haired woman. We pan out as Luke says something like... "Everything is going as planned"

The movie would end with the main characters back on Coruscant, cheering the creation of the Senate and would intercut with a montage of Outer Rim planets now being invaded. The main characters act happy, but now know that things are dire.

The End.

EP 8: The Mandalorian Armada has taken control of the Outer Rim and enslaved many systems. Some Imperial Governors join forces with the Republic. Jaina feels compelled to follow a voice. She travels to that mysterious mountainous world and meets a dozen others figures. Some human, some alien. They all climb the mountain and help each other. Once at the top, they are greeted by Luke Skywalker and Ben, who begins their training. During this time Luke discovers that the Bothan Spy is a true and just person, and begins guiding him as well. Luke is looking for a “Good King” to lead the people and the galaxy.

EP 9: Ben, Jaina and the new Jedi Knights fight off the Armada and free the enslaved peoples of the Galaxy. The Empire is fully gone. The Bothan Spy finds his calling and becomes a true leader of the people. Word spreads and citizens across the galaxy rise up against the Mandelorians. They begin to look up to the Jedi again. The last movie is all about how Luke establishes a new Jedi Order, with Ben and Jaina as it’s Masters and Leia finally brings out peace in a New Republic. Movie ends with the funeral of Luke Skywalker.

Professor_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #396
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
....but Luke WAS the "son of someone special" way before midichlorians were ever mentioned. And what about Han? If it wasn't for him, Luke woulda been killed by Vader and the Death Star would have blown up Yavin. I'm no fan of the midichlorians, but the issues some people are making up for them borders on ridiculous.
Not necessarily. In the originals it always seemed like anyone could be a Jedi and use the force, Luke just happened to be the son of one. Most people just happened to view the way of the Jedi as a hokey religion and lightsabers as ancient weapons. Yoda spoke of how the force surrounds binds us that we are luminous beings, Obi-Wan too spoke of how the force is an energy field that surrounds all living organisms and what not. The thing that made it so cool was that there was all of this technology and advanced weapondry but the power of the soul trumps any of this.

By adding midichlorians and being able to rate how powerful a Jedi would be just ruins the whole magical essence of it. The only thing relating to a power system in the original films was when Yoda said "strong in the force your family is" but this could be interpreted differently given that it was established the force has a will and sides with whom it so chooses.

I didn't read any of this argument but the quote you replied too really did appear to be a valid point and far from ridiculous.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #397
Bim
Side-Kick

BTW guys, we now have a saga forum (to talk about the general themes about SW as a whole). I think it would be interesting to start a topic about The Force where we can discuss all of this stuff in depth

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #398
smallville fan
Hero

Here's what the story should be:

STAR WARS EPISODE VII
Thirty Years have past since the Battle of Endor and now peace has been restored by the REBEL ALLIANCE now the NEW REPUBLIC led by LEIA ORGANA-SOLO.

However a new force lurks in the shadows, threatening the freedom of the galaxy.

Jedi Grand Master LUKE SKYWALKER dispatches his son BEN SKYWALKER and Jedi Master KYLE KATARN to investigate the mysterious world of DROMUND KAAS.

I loved SWTOR, so I couldn't resist putting in Dromund Kaas :P. It could easily be Korriban if you want it to. I figured it would be awesome seeing the resurgence of the Sith. The main villain should either be Lumiya famous for the Light-whip and/or another Sith Lord played by Hugo Weaving.

Hugo Weaving would be the perfect big villain for Star Wars either as a general in the Imperial Army or as a Sith Lord.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #399
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

I posted this in the other thread, but I'm posting here too:

I REALLY don't want the Empire/Separatists/Sith to be the villains. That story is over.

I want either a Dark Jedi joining with Mandalorians, where by the second film, he assumes control of the Mandalorian army and some of them start learning to use the force and weilding lightsabers but without the religious aspect. They see the Force as a weapon and nothing more. And the third one we get a the culmination of this. Settle the only possible threat remaining in the Galaxy in a full on war of armies of Force wielding Jedi vs Force wielding Mandalorians.

If not that, I'd like them to introduce an invading Galaxy. So the Galaxy of the I-VI is FINALLY united and the Force is in balance. Enter: An invading Galaxy (also unified) looking to expand into the SW Galaxy in a tyrannical fashion. They would either be Zealots (similar to the Covenant) or just 100% based on logic, science and facts. The SW Galaxy has had a nice balance of the two in the Republic and even the Empire. Let's see them go up a polar opinion. Also, this invading Galaxy should have some sort of technology/magic that seems like the Force at first, but it isn't. It's something that can go head to head with it though. It would be cool if in the second one, our main protagonist has been playing around with this new power, but he pretty much loses control of it. In the third one, he's been able to master it. So he's the first person to master both the Force and this other thing. Sort of follows the same idea as the OT with the main character being introduced to this mystical Force he must learn to master, and the grand scale war backdrop of the PT - but minus the political subplot. With this, you could EASILY go with the Villain routine of the OT. Want some sort of emotional connection? The "Lord" "kills" Luke in the first one and the love interest to the main character at the end of the second one (similar to Han's carbonate freezing... only this isn't just a friend to the main character... and she would actually die).

If they go with the invading Galaxy thing, I'd like it if they got a SECOND Art Director and Production Designer to helm the other Galaxy. Weapons, armour, ships, clothing, hair, aliens... it should all be COMPLETELY different than the SW universe but something that could serve as nice complimentary for power struggle.

Option two is my personal favourite.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #400
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Zealots... invading galaxy... you're talking about the Yuuzhan Vong.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote