The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #976
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Besides insignificant, she was annoying as hell imo.
How the hell did the waitress even have time to be annoying? She was onscreen for two minutes, max, said a handful of lines and never interacted with the main characters.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #977
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

If it is in fact VanCamp notice how she was not in any of the groups in the running before.

Yet again I believe those names get floated out there by agents and talent managers to build interest in their clients.

- CM Punk
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #978
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
If it is in fact VanCamp notice how she was not in any of the groups in the running before.

Yet again I believe those names get floated out there by agents and talent managers to build interest in their clients.
I'm sure it's standard business practice.
On that note, what surprises me is the utter lack of rumor or buzz surrounding people who eventually land these roles in Marvel films --- RDJ, the Chrises (all THREE of them now), Vancamp, Ruffalo, just to name a few....

....It looks like *their* agents would be pretty proud of them auditioning (not to mention landing) these major roles. I'm thinking Marvel actually puts the quietus to their agents when they get the part. In other words, anyone who's actually *rumored* to be in a role is almost 99% likely NOT to be Marvel's pick for any given role.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #979
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Marvel tends to hire TV stars for their recurring lead roles, as oppposed to bigger film stars for the supporting and villain roles. That says to me that she was hired for a multi-film contract.
Who?

Quote:
Which also says to me that Sharon Carter isn't *necessarily* who she's playing. The suggestion has been made, not by me, but I think it's a card that still can be played: Vancamp might be Carol Danvers.
Quote:
I know, it's a long shot. And I firmly believe she *is* Sharon Carter. But I'm leaving just enough room for doubt, due to the fact that I believe Vancamp is getting a multi-pic deal that Sharon may or may not be "worthy" of
"Worthy"? The contract is in Marvel's favor. EVC has to honor it, Marvel don't. Atwell also signed a multi-picture deal and she isn't being asked back.

Also, why wouldn't Captain America's Lois Lane be expected to return?

Quote:
and due to the fact that it's getting increasingly harder to find a spot to drop Ms. Marvel into the lineup. Unless a Ms. Marvel movie gets announced for Phase III, I really don't see her appearing except in someone else's movie; and the only likely candidates I see in the very near future are CATWS, GOTG, or Avengers 2. Otherwise, you can pretty much write off the Avengers' "Wonder Woman," and I just don't think they're going to do that to her.
Carol is a far, far better fit in GOTG.

Why place her in a movie where she has no real connections to the mythos in question? She's never been one of Steve's love interests.

CATWS is introducing a new superhero (, and showcasing another established one (Natasha). Neither IM3 nor TTDW are doing either. CATWS is doing more than its share for the larger Marvel universe.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #980
Ksb36
Side-Kick

That's an interesting thought. I had to look up Diamondback, because I wasn't very familiar with her. She DOES have ties to Crossbones, though.

All these press items just refer to her as the "love interest", but so far, there's been no confirmation that she's actually Sharon. Why haven't we heard any confirmation of the specific character she's playing?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #981
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksb36 View Post
All these press items just refer to her as the "love interest", but so far, there's been no confirmation that she's actually Sharon. Why haven't we heard any confirmation of the specific character she's playing?
...because Marvel hasn't released an official press statement yet. Nothing is being kept secret, they just haven't "officially" confirmed anything yet. Studios are like that... They have their own time table for when they want to release information and it rarely makes sense to us. I expect her character's name to be included in the press release when it comes out. Probably soon.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #982
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

If she can bring even half this much personality to CA:TWS, then I think we're in for a treat(not to mention she looks absolutely stunning here):

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #983
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
How the hell did the waitress even have time to be annoying? She was onscreen for two minutes, max, said a handful of lines and never interacted with the main characters.
I'm easily annoyed, that's how.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #984
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Who?
Chris Hemsworth. Kat Dennings. Emily VanCamp. Chris Pratt. Sebastian Stan. Cobie Smulders. Tom Hiddleston.

Quote:
"Worthy"? The contract is in Marvel's favor. EVC has to honor it, Marvel don't. Atwell also signed a multi-picture deal and she isn't being asked back.

Why place her in a movie where she has no real connections to the mythos in question? She's never been one of Steve's love interests.

CATWS is introducing a new superhero (, and showcasing another established one (Natasha). Neither IM3 nor TTDW are doing either. CATWS is doing more than its share for the larger Marvel universe.
Agreed on all counts. Again, I'm 99% sure that "Love Interest" is Sharon Carter. But I'm looking at options for the 1%, and there's not a whole lot of characters that would make sense there for Vancamp to play outside of Agent 13.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #985
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I'm easily annoyed, that's how.
Your life must be hard.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #986
Bren
Forevernoob

Tragically. Weep for me

Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #987
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Who?

Well, IM3 has speculation that it's introducing Wasp. Not that I believe it.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #988
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Well, IM3 has speculation that it's introducing Wasp. Not that I believe it.
Yeah, I don't buy that one bit.

It's a fandom phenomenon, though. Whenever a a young actress is cast in a comic book movie, the speculation will fly around on which important superheroine she'll be playing.

In 2010 it was Kate Mara as Bethany Cabe and Olivia Munn as the Wasp.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #989
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

What I hate is that people think it's official. I've had a friend telling me she's in it (he doesn't even read the comics ), and it was difficult to explain that wasn't the case.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #990
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
What I hate is that people think it's official. I've had a friend telling me she's in it (he doesn't even read the comics ), and it was difficult to explain that wasn't the case.
LoL thats the worst... especially if they read one article that is written to some pretentious smug who just googled the actress and Avengers characters and then proceeds on making this ridiculous assumptions.Its like your friends just latch onto that as if its the WORD OF GOD! Trying to convince them otherwise is certainly tiresome.

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #991
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Here's the thing, though: Cap gets the girl who is actually superheroine (or at least action heroine) material. Betty Ross, Pepper Potts and Jane Foster might all be lovely award-winning actresses, but they're just damsels in distress. Cap's girl gets to go on missions and kick ass right there alongside him; and I believe Vancamp is in it for the long haul. Marvel tends to hire TV stars for their recurring lead roles, as oppposed to bigger film stars for the supporting and villain roles. That says to me that she was hired for a multi-film contract.

Which also says to me that Sharon Carter isn't *necessarily* who she's playing. The suggestion has been made, not by me, but I think it's a card that still can be played: Vancamp might be Carol Danvers.
Jane wasn't damselled once in Thor, I worry about Thor 2 though. Also, being an everywoman character doesn't make the character bad, just like giving a character a gun or a sword doesn't make one good.

Avengers was the biggest non-Cameron film ever. I doubt Van Camp was the highest calibre actress knocking on their door. Perhaps they are sacrificing something for an actress' availability.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #992
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Avengers was the biggest non-Cameron film ever. I doubt Van Camp was the highest calibre actress knocking on their door. Perhaps they are sacrificing something for an actress' availability.
Perhaps they thought she was right for the part.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #993
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Jane wasn't damselled once in Thor, I worry about Thor 2 though. Also, being an everywoman character doesn't make the character bad, just like giving a character a gun or a sword doesn't make one good.

I wouldn't say that. Have you seen Revenge? She's an amazing actress, and it's easily seen why she was picked for Sharon, if that is the role.

Last edited by peterparker0077; 02-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #994
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
I wouldn't say that. Have you seen Revenger? She's an amazing actress, and it's easily seen why she was picked for Sharon, if that is the role.

The sad thing is that, looking back over Captain America's comic book history, he hasn't had a really great romance. The relationship between Steve and Peggy in CA: TFA was so much more real and interesting than any he ever had in his book. Steve and Sharon's relationship was always fairly sterile and passionless. The thing with Diamondback was ridiculous and best forgotten. (If Steve is attracted to a bad girl in the MCU, make it the frighteningly sexy Madame Hydra, please.) The best relationship Steve ever had, in terms of realism, was with Bernie, so of course they broke up when it got too serious.

Strangely enough, Steve's most complex and interesting relationships have been with his two best friends, Tony and Sam. Well, maybe that's not so strange since comics are a male-oriented medium. Male bonding just seems to be more natural in comics than love affairs.

I almost wish that the film universe would diverge from the comics in this instance and create an entirely fresh love interest for Steve. At the very least, the writers should try to make Sharon a more interesting, engaging person than she is in the comics.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #995
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
The sad thing is that, looking back over Captain America's comic book history, he hasn't had a really great romance. The relationship between Steve and Peggy in CA: TFA was so much more real and interesting than any he ever had in his book. Steve and Sharon's relationship was always fairly sterile and passionless. The thing with Diamondback was ridiculous and best forgotten. (If Steve is attracted to a bad girl in the MCU, make it the frighteningly sexy Madame Hydra, please.) The best relationship Steve ever had, in terms of realism, was with Bernie, so of course they broke up when it got too serious.

Strangely enough, Steve's most complex and interesting relationships have been with his two best friends, Tony and Sam. Well, maybe that's not so strange since comics are a male-oriented medium. Male bonding just seems to be more natural in comics than love affairs.

I almost wish that the film universe would diverge from the comics in this instance and create an entirely fresh love interest for Steve. At the very least, the writers should try to make Sharon a more interesting, engaging person than she is in the comics.
I think that's exactly what they'll do based on what they did with Peggy.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #996
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Maybe Sharon works from a revenge motive in this movie. Not to be *too* literal here, but it very would could be the way Vancamp plays a vengeful woman on TV that attracted them to her.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #997
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe Sharon works from a revenge motive in this movie. Not to be *too* literal here, but it very would could be the way Vancamp plays a vengeful woman on TV that attracted them to her.
In the Winter Soldier storyarc, she does take an interest in the Winter Soldier because she wants to avenge her ex-boyfriend that Bucky blew up.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #998
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
In the Winter Soldier storyarc, she does take an interest in the Winter Soldier because she wants to avenge her ex-boyfriend that Bucky blew up.

So they took a character who has been around for almost fifty years and rewrote her history to give her a never-before-mentioned boyfriend whose death was so traumatic that she neglected to mention or even think about him for decades, but then suddenly felt the need to avenge him?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #999
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
So they took a character who has been around for almost fifty years and rewrote her history to give her a never-before-mentioned boyfriend whose death was so traumatic that she neglected to mention or even think about him for decades, but then suddenly felt the need to avenge him?
Well, no.

Steve and Sharon were broken up for years when Ed Brubaker started writing the book. She hadn't even been part of the book's supporting cast for some time.

Brubaker reintroduced Sharon as Steve's SHIELD liaison, but they were ex's. This story arc featured the debut of the Winter Soldier, who blows up Oklahoma, killing a SHIELD Agent that Sharon had recently dated and broken up with.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #1000
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Well, no.

Steve and Sharon were broken up for years when Ed Brubaker started writing the book. She hadn't even been part of the book's supporting cast for some time.

Brubaker reintroduced Sharon as Steve's SHIELD liaison, but they were ex's. This story arc featured the debut of the Winter Soldier, who blows up Oklahoma, killing a SHIELD Agent that Sharon had recently dated and broken up with.
Beat me to it.

Closed Thread