The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

View Poll Results: Hobbit An Unexpected Journey.
10 16 20.78%
9 22 28.57%
8 15 19.48%
7 7 9.09%
6 13 16.88%
5 3 3.90%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #276
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 10

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #277
Marvolo
Side-Kick

People just did not connect as well to this one as they did to Fellowship. The book is a simple adventure quest whereas FOTR is the staging of an epic good vs evil showdown for the fate of a world. That makes for a very different film. In places the Hobbit was overly indulgent, and takes much too long to get going. Jackson took what should have been a fast 2 part adventure and turned it into a drawn thin prequel/bridge/hybrid trilogy. The film does many things good, but nothing great, and settles somewhere above decent.

Last edited by C. Lee; 02-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #278
Marvolo
Side-Kick

By great I mean something that changes the industry or shakes conventions. LOTR did this in many areas. The Hobbit by comparison feels very been there done that and doesn't offer much in the way of game changing.

And, yes, the LOTR was indulgent, but like I said people connected to that better, and forgave it its indulgences. What makes it worse too is that everyone knows the Hobbit is a 250 page book stretched to three nearly 3 hour films. It makes the Hobbit's indulgences look even worse, because they were unneccesary whereas LOTR was 1200 page story and indulgences were expected.

Last edited by C. Lee; 02-14-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #279
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
People just did not connect as well to this one as they did to Fellowship. The book is a simple adventure quest whereas FOTR is the staging of an epic good vs evil showdown for the fate of a world. That makes for a very different film. In places the Hobbit was overly indulgent, and takes much too long to get going. Jackson took what should have been a fast 2 part adventure and turned it into a drawn thin prequel/bridge/hybrid trilogy. The film does many things good, but nothing great, and settles somewhere above decent.
See the deal is the simple story shouldn't have been a problem. In fact it should have made it even easier to connect to. The problem that I had is that they kept trying to scale it up to something LotR like. That problem will only worsen as the other films add in more conflicts with Necromancer and Legolas shows up. Its a lack of focus.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #280
dark_b
Side-Kick

Jackson gets 3 paychecks instead of 2. and the same for WETA. they work on 3 movies and not on 2. everyone gets more work.

Last edited by dark_b; 02-14-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #281
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I think the two weakest sections of the film were the White Council and the end climax. The rest of the film was superb, however, in my opinion. I think we won't really be sure if splitting it all into 3 films was a good idea or not until we see the next two.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #282
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
Jackson gets 2 paychecks instead of 2.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #283
dark_b
Side-Kick

i made a mistake

Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #284
regwec
Shakespearo

A glittering career at Goldman Sachs awaits you.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #285
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Again, I must insist upon asking, why did they feel the need to make the Great Goblin's breasts so true to life? Who the hell would want to buy that toy?

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #286
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

::raises hand slowly and cries::

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #287
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
I think the two weakest sections of the film were the White Council and the end climax. The rest of the film was superb, however, in my opinion. I think we won't really be sure if splitting it all into 3 films was a good idea or not until we see the next two.
If the goal is to include everything from the book the divide was likely necessary.

Being captured and escaping from the Goblin City would probably be too similar to being captured and Escaping from the Elves to really be in one film. The original split was at the barrels right?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #288
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
If the goal is to include everything from the book the divide was likely necessary.

Being captured and escaping from the Goblin City would probably be too similar to being captured and Escaping from the Elves to really be in one film. The original split was at the barrels right?
Yep. They are in the barrels, and they round a bend and see the Lonely Mountain for the first time then it fades to black. I would have preferred that reveal of the Lonely Mountain to be the first one like in the book. The one in the film is just awkward. Raising the question for all the non-book readers why the Eagles couldn't just take them a few more leagues to the mountain.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #289
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Again, I must insist upon asking, why did they feel the need to make the Great Goblin's breasts so true to life? Who the hell would want to buy that toy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
::raises hand slowly and cries::

Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #290
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Don't badmouth my waifu.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #291
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

There are... worse aspects of the Great Goblin toy than the breasts.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #292
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?

Well, $300M is done. 5th film of 2012 to cross that line.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #293
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
There are... worse aspects of the Great Goblin toy than the breasts.

Well, since I am not making that specific purchase, I will never experience the thrill of discovery at viewing what is under that loincloth.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #294
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Well, since I am not making that specific purchase, I will never experience the thrill of discovery at viewing what is under that loincloth.
I actually was referring to the chin.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #295
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I personally dont get why people didnt connect with The Hobbit as much as LOTR, while it wasnt as good as any of the LOTR movies, I still LOVED The Hobbit and personally cannot wait until the sequels. The next 2 cant come soon enough for me.

Now, the movie was a bit over-long, mostly at the start for me, but once they got out of The Shire the movie kicked into gear and I couldnt tear my eyes away, I will happily go and see 2 more.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #296
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I actually was referring to the chin.
I imagine they are not without similarities.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #297
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Maybe he should have a chin cloth.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #298
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I personally dont get why people didnt connect with The Hobbit as much as LOTR, while it wasnt as good as any of the LOTR movies, I still LOVED The Hobbit and personally cannot wait until the sequels. The next 2 cant come soon enough for me.

Now, the movie was a bit over-long, mostly at the start for me, but once they got out of The Shire the movie kicked into gear and I couldnt tear my eyes away, I will happily go and see 2 more.
I certainly didn't walk out of the theaters thinking "F### YEAH! 6 MORE HOURS!"

It felt like we were presented with the extended edition of the film, with all the pacing and focus issues that implies.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #299
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
It felt like we were presented with the extended edition of the film, with all the pacing and focus issues that implies.
No, man, that's still to come... and I'm super excited about it!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #300
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
I certainly didn't walk out of the theaters thinking "F### YEAH! 6 MORE HOURS!"

Well, I walked out of the cinema saying and thinking "That was amazing, I cant wait to see more, so happy there are 2 more films to come." And I still think that now. Bring on the EE as well.

Quote:
No, man, that's still to come... and I'm super excited about it!
Same here, in fact I cant wait to have all 6 movies in EE and be able to watch them one after the other.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Closed Thread