The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #351
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

Atm, I still think the dystopian future will be an alternate timeline, and for that future what we saw in X1 to X3 either did not happen or did not happen in quite the same way, as the event that is being changed to actively prevent that future occurs in 1973, before the original trilogy.

So, for the original trilogy to stand intact, that change has already taken place in it's past.

This would allow for them to have Xavier alive in the future without having to refute X3, or expand on the post credits mind swap nonsense (which would also require explanation of Moira's presence there). Rogue can still be powered, etc.

What this would mean for the film is that in changing the past of 1973 they basically set up the world of X1 to X3...which doesn't end all that well...

Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #352
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Atm, I still think the dystopian future will be an alternate timeline, and for that future what we saw in X1 to X3 either did not happen or did not happen in quite the same way, as the event that is being changed to actively prevent that future occurs in 1973, before the original trilogy.

So, for the original trilogy to stand intact, that change has already taken place in it's past.

This would allow for them to have Xavier alive in the future without having to refute X3, or expand on the post credits mind swap nonsense (which would also require explanation of Moira's presence there). Rogue can still be powered, etc.

What this would mean for the film is that in changing the past of 1973 they basically set up the world of X1 to X3...which doesn't end all that well...

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #353
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Wobbly just broke it DOWN!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #354
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:

Thats pretty much what I've been thinking. The rest of the theories in this thread just confuse the crap out of me.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #355
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:

I don't think so because Singer thanks Ratner for sparing the lives of Rogue, Kitty and Iceman. The Wolverine is supposedly tying into Days Of Future Past according to Mark Millar, and we know The Wolverine is set after The Last Stand.
Singer also said he hopes to fix things or clean up the mess left by TLS. I think that may mean, going back in time and creating a brand new timeline where Cyclops, Xavier and Jean are still alive. Regarding Xavier being in the future alive, there is a post credits scene in X3.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #356
DarknessOfDeath
Trust no one...but Cobie!

Just finished First class ...im gonna take a break until I watch X1.

I think there is still some hope left for the three of them, and I think in some way, Singer can make it work out by cleaning up the mess that was in X3. Oh please Singer!

Get your game on, Marvel!!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #357
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

Quote:

Dang, I had to re-read it about three or four times to grasp what you were saying. But thats kinda a really cool idea....I think?

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #358
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:

So no matter what they do, in any universe, they can't change anything for the better? Its either a sentinel controlled nightmare or a future where mutants have taken a cure and Charles, Scott, and Jean are dead. Kind of limits their potential sequel possibilities.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #359
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Rogue was the heart and soul of Bryan's films in my opinion...the emotional center. And Anna Paquin is an amazing actress. But to have her character trump Storm's in DoFP (if that's indeed what's going to happen) just because Bryan wants to work with one over the other is stupid.

Obviously we don't have all the facts at this point. But in terms of her appearance in DoFP, as of now it seems pointless to me. Rogue was powerless--and by choice--by the end of X3. That was our last time seeing her. And how would the source material grant her rights to an appearance in the film?
I don't get this shaming of Rogue/Paquin, that she's now included in DOFP and Storm/Halle wasn't, when Rogue wasn't in the DOFP comics and Storm was. And thus the latter somehow deserving that spot in the movie more than the former.

Besides they're including Xavier in the future scenes when his character was nowhere in the comics to be found. I just don't get the point of pitting characters/actresses against each other. These characters deliver very different things to the franchise and I would hope as X-men fans we can see how one character's inclusion might benefit the film over the inclusion of the other.

Quote:
I'm sure Bryan & Co. have written a clever way to include her that will make absolute sense. All some of us are saying is keep it clever and get Storm in there too.
Now we're talking. I want the original cast of X-men! It just wouldn't be the same without them. Famke, James, Rebecca, Alan, Halle. Come home!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #360
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I don't think so because Singer thanks Ratner for sparing the lives of Rogue, Kitty and Iceman. The Wolverine is supposedly tying into Days Of Future Past according to Mark Millar, and we know The Wolverine is set after The Last Stand.
Singer also said he hopes to fix things or clean up the mess left by TLS. I think that may mean, going back in time and creating a brand new timeline where Cyclops, Xavier and Jean are still alive. Regarding Xavier being in the future alive, there is a post credits scene in X3.
I agree. I used to think the dystopian future would be an alternate one, unrelated to the events of The Last Stand, but not anymore. Too much seems to point to this being Singer's way of connecting all the films, while still being able to, as Singer puts it, "correct" a few things.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #361
DarknessOfDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I don't get this shaming of Rogue/Paquin, that she's now included in DOFP and Storm/Halle wasn't, when Rogue wasn't in the DOFP comics and Storm was. And thus the latter somehow deserving that spot in the movie more than the former.

Besides they're including Xavier in the future scenes when his character was nowhere in the comics to be found. I just don't get the point of pitting characters/actresses against each other. These characters deliver very different things to the franchise and I would hope as X-men fans we can see how one character's inclusion might benefit the film over the inclusion of the other.

Now we're talking. I want the original cast of X-men! It just wouldn't be the same without them. Famke, James, Rebecca, Alan, Halle. Come home!
Im with you too....please come home

Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #362
Shpati
Side-Kick

I'm still not sure about this movie. Looks like too many characters. Also looks like they are trying to fix the mistakes in X3, and what more convenient way to do that than Time Travel?

I never been a fan of Time Travel either.

If this movie fails, they need to reboot the entire X-Men franchise, including Wolverine.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #363
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

Besides they're including Xavier in the future scenes when his character was nowhere in the comics to be found. I just don't get the point of pitting characters/actresses against each other...
I think you're misinterpreting Lightning completely. He's commenting on story points and is definitely NOT pitting actresses against each other.

What he is trying to say is that Bryan's EXPLANATION of only including Storm if she fits the story is bunk because he found a way to fit in Rogue. Lightning then went on to elaborate how ridiculous that explanation sounds based on the DOFP comic/ status quo at the end of X3 and how there is no reason that Storm's role wouldn't fit when Rogue's does.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #364
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I've been thinking about option #3. We still don't know who the X-Men in the 70's are, and I'm wondering if they're going to fudge around with the timeline and just say **** it, and introduce Scott/Jean/Storm as teens.
I've been saying from the beginning that this needs to happen since they chose to do DOFP. There needs to be a meaningful team in the past for the future traveler to meet, and not a bunch of stranger X-students.

However, I only want Scott and Jean (and Beast) in the 70s. Storm in the 70s will just seem like a third wheel to the reintroduction of Scott and Jean and should be in the future scenes leading the team and destroying Sentinels.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #365
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I think you're misinterpreting Lightning completely. He's commenting on story points and is definitely NOT pitting actresses against each other.

What he is trying to say is that Bryan's EXPLANATION of only including Storm if she fits the story is bunk because he found a way to fit in Rogue. Lightning then went on to elaborate how ridiculous that explanation sounds based on the DOFP comic/ status quo at the end of X3 and how there is no reason that Storm's role wouldn't fit when Rogue's does.

Thanks Josh.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #366
DarknessOfDeath

You all make some interesting points...

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #367
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Rogue was the heart and soul of Bryan's films in my opinion...the emotional center.
I agree especially she was the one that really struggled as a "mutant". All of them were cool and proud of having mutant powers but Rogue wasn't because even if she was surrounded by mutants, she still had to deal with touching people w/o hurting them.

Quote:
IMO, not everybody should return. Jean/Scott already died. Nightcawler wasn't in X3/ Mystique was left behind by Magneto and turned against Magneto by helping the government. I feel like if they brought all of them back for some reason, its because they want to please the fans but not exactly to help the story of the movie.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-16-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #368
DarknessOfDeath

God im so bored...im hungry for news!!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #369
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I've been saying from the beginning that this needs to happen since they chose to do DOFP. There needs to be a meaningful team in the past for the future traveler to meet, and not a bunch of stranger X-students.
And meeting the younger version of Professor X, Magneto, Mystique and Beast isn't enough?

It would be nice to see Wolverine/Storm/Rogue/Iceman/Shadowcat meet the 70s (or the ideal 80s) X-Men team that consist of young Cyclops/young Jean/young Storm/young Prof X. But its not like they are going to the 70s and the team just consists of Havok, Polaris, Banshee and Dazzler. Professor X and Beast are still in the team and they will probably meet the younger version of Mystique and Magneto when they face the Brotherhood.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #370
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
And meeting the younger version of Professor X, Magneto, Mystique and Beast isn't enough?
It depends on who they use as the time-traveler. If they go with Kitty, I don't even care who she runs into in the past because she didn't make any strong connections (on-screen) with any of the characters that would exist in X3. Obviously, I'm not rooting for her to be the time-traveler unless it's as part of a group.

For anyone else (like Logan, Storm, or Xavier's consciousness), it would be just OK if it was Xavier, Mags, Mystique, and Beast. But it would be AMAZING if they were to encounter Jean and Scott due to the fact that they're dead in the future and they had to grieve them. (You can argue that Storm may have met Havok and Banshee sometime between FC and X1, but that would be a hallow farce.)

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #371
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

Thanks Josh.
Sometimes I think we're two peas in a pod.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #372
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

how likely is it we will be getting Nathaniel Essex or his alter-ego at all?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #373
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

As much as Wobbly's theory (sort of) makes sense, it would defeat the whole point of having this film clearing up continuity issues.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #374
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I don't see how this movie would possibly be able to clean up the mess that is this series' continuity.

I'm completely on board with wobbly.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #375
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
This whole, "I want to make sure she fits" thing is bullspit because the source material AND the existing franchise demands her involvement.
I don't think they care all that much about being loyal to the source material. Or rather, their priority is picking the characters to tell the story they want to tell, rather than whether or not they played a big part in the original comic.

Closed Thread