The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #276
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The only difference in terms of 'realism', between 'hiding-the-suit-under-his-clothes' and 'nanotech suit' is that most human beings can properly argue about the former, and can't or wouldn't bother trying to argue the latter.
What?

Quote:
I'd prefer the traditional. Some people always beat the 'not defined by' drum to excuse something being changed or deleted etc....... Well a piece of steak is not defined by it's spices, but hell it's not a good steak without them.
Yeah...only sensible thing I got from that is that you'd prefer the traditional. Which is fine.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #277
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The only difference in terms of 'realism', between 'hiding-the-suit-under-his-clothes' and 'nanotech suit' is that most human beings can properly argue about the former, and can't or wouldn't bother trying to argue the latter.
Yes exactly. Audiences are fine with specific genre conceits (a DeLorean time machine, a cloak of invisibility, a man who can fly, etc.) But they expect (quite legitimately) that everything else in the narrative (that isnít fantastical) will behave according to ďnormal rules.Ē Otherwise, itís a license for sloppy storytelling. E.g., a plot hole shouldnít be/canít be dismissed with a ďitís a movie about wizards and dragons and you want realism?Ē excuse. Actually, realism very much applies within its defined boundaries.

So I think a nano suit would be entirely acceptable as a sci-fi element. Whereas, Supermanís disguise is not represented as advanced tech or a superpower. Itís normal and non-fantastical in nature. And as such, it gets judged by a different/higher standard of plausibility.

In other words (and ironically)Ö a nano suit might be more ďrealisticĒ than a man wearing two layers of clothing.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #278
fanboiii
disciple of truth

People can question the plausibility of automatic/mentally triggered, self-assembling nano-fabric as advanced technology. Wearing two layers of clothing seems far more plausible.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #279
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Not with this suit.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #280
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Why? The material looks thin. The only problem is the cape which detaches.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #281
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

The cape can detach and he can take the boots off. Those aren't the problem. The problems are the actual cape attachment and the gauntlets (and maybe the raised shield). Theoretically speaking, he could wear clothes large enough to hide those details, but he'd just end up drawing attention to himself. And if this is indicative of how he's going to dress at the DP...

...then I doubt he's going to be wearing that suit under his clothes.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #282
fanboiii
disciple of truth

A 3 piece suit would cover it up. That image may not indicate his Daily Planet wear since we already saw a clip of him putting on glasses.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #283
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

A ridiculously large three piece suit. There's wearing a suit that's a little too big for you and then there's drowning in your clothes. He'd attract attention to himself.

And in that clip, it looked like he was wearing that shirt. I'm gonna go watch it again to be sure.

EDIT: He walks into the building wearing that shirt, but it's hard to tell if he's wearing it in the elevator. It looks like he's wearing a suit jacket, so he might not be.

Last edited by The Boy Scout; 02-17-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #284
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
A ridiculously large three piece suit. There's wearing a suit that's a little too big for you and then there's drowning in your clothes. He'd attract attention to himself.

And in that clip, it looked like he was wearing that shirt. I'm gonna go watch it again to be sure.

EDIT: He walks into the building wearing that shirt, but it's hard to tell if he's wearing it in the elevator. It looks like he's wearing a suit jacket, so he might not be.
In that picture it looks like there's a blazer hanging over the bag he's carrying. You can see the buttons on the sleeve.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #285
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Well would you look at that...so he is.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #286
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but it's probably more relevant to this one.

I've had this concept about how to approach th "nano-tech" that's been stuck in my head for a while. In my head it's pretty cool, and I think something along these lines could work quite well in the film.

It wouldn't be real flashy or high tech feeling, like the GL suit. It wouldn't feel like it magically materializes like Thor's armor.

To fit with the design of the suit and other Kryptonian elements we've seen, I think it would be cool if it was almost mechanical. I'm picturing it coming together like a very intricate clockwork. There would be some central point (let's just say it's the belt buckle), and first the smooth embellishments would kind of telescope out around the waist, up the back and up over the shoulders, and down the sides of the legs. Then, from those parts, the "links" of the chain mail design would start to rotate out and link with each other, covering the whole body. All this could be accompanied by some cool mechanical sounding clicks, tinks, and wrrs, but fairly quiet.

All this, of course, would really only be shown all out once, for the suit's reveal to Clark, or the first time he puts it on. After that it would happen very quickly, or off camera.

I also think it could be done in a way that preserves the shirt rip. All they would have to do is first establish to the audience how the suit works. Then, when it comes time for Clark to step into action, just show him activating the suit, have the sound effects of it materializing under his clothes, maybe show a hint of it materializing around his wrists and up his chest as he loosens his tie, and then he rips open his shirt to reveal the fully formed S.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #287
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

It's hard picturing it in my head. It could work, but it depends on the execution.

I remember someone on ES posted a video of the Tron suit materializing over the guy's body. I thought that was pretty cool and is how I imagine it happening.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #288
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

What if the suit fits into that S pendant kind if like the way the Flash's fits into a ring

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #289
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:

Happen to agree. I can see it now - the Daily Planet office in the middle of a summer heatwave; everyones wearing the lightest, most breathable clothes possible and the air-con is blowing at a maximum yet Clarks wearing what looks like a padded 3 piece suit and a massive coat.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #290
fanboiii
disciple of truth

If it's nanotech, why couldn't the suit slim down so he can wear it underneath? It doesn't need to completely assemble itself.

Maybe the suit gets denser when it's exposed to sunlight, so if he covers it with another layer it's actually much thinner because the outer layer blocks the sun.

There's more than one way to apply a techy explanation.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #291
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Those are reasonable explanations. I wouldn't have a problem with them. My issue was with him wearing the suit as it is under his clothes with no reasonable explanation as to how that's possible. If tech is used to explain how he can do that (such as what you described, even though I feel the second explanation is a bit of a stretch), then that's fine.

Last edited by The Boy Scout; 02-17-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #292
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTurtle View Post
I've had this concept about how to approach th "nano-tech" that's been stuck in my head for a while. In my head it's pretty cool, and I think something along these lines could work quite well in the film.

It wouldn't be real flashy or high tech feeling, like the GL suit. It wouldn't feel like it magically materializes like Thor's armor.

To fit with the design of the suit and other Kryptonian elements we've seen, I think it would be cool if it was almost mechanical. I'm picturing it coming together like a very intricate clockwork. There would be some central point (let's just say it's the belt buckle), and first the smooth embellishments would kind of telescope out around the waist, up the back and up over the shoulders, and down the sides of the legs. Then, from those parts, the "links" of the chain mail design would start to rotate out and link with each other, covering the whole body.
Assuming there is a nano suit (and at this point we donít know) it should be visually novel and impressive in the way you describe. If it ends up being a generic, liquid-y morph, then itíll underwhelm. Might as well have stuck with the old-school tradition.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #293
fanboiii
disciple of truth

I thought it's standard lore that Krypton material is denser and is strengthened by yellow sun. Clark doesn't get his muscles by working out.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #294
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

At one point, yes. I don't think that's true anymore. It never made sense to me anyway. Clark is strengthened by the sun because of his unique Kryptonian biology. Kryptonian cloth, while alien, is still just cloth and wouldn't become invulnerable simply because it was exposed to our sun. If it were more durable than any of our materials, it would be because it was also that durable on Krypton.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #295
SuperWig
Side-Kick

We're all assuming that Clark can spring into action at any given time or place, which is why he wears the suit under his clothes. But what if Superman doesn't always interject when he is needed. But only under the most severe circumstances. He needs a break here and there. So keeping the suit hidden in the fortress and not under his clothes gives him a break. Remember in the trailer we see the suit hanging in some sort of chamber or whatever. Simple and easy, big disaster, he flies to the Fortress, puts on the suit for a little, does his thing, then back goes the suit.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #296
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Keeping the suit elsewhere wouldn't allow for a shirt rip, which a lot of people want to keep.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #297
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTurtle View Post
I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but it's probably more relevant to this one.

To fit with the design of the suit and other Kryptonian elements we've seen, I think it would be cool if it was almost mechanical. I'm picturing it coming together like a very intricate clockwork. There would be some central point (let's just say it's the belt buckle), and first the smooth embellishments would kind of telescope out around the waist, up the back and up over the shoulders, and down the sides of the legs. Then, from those parts, the "links" of the chain mail design would start to rotate out and link with each other, covering the whole body. All this could be accompanied by some cool mechanical sounding clicks, tinks, and wrrs, but fairly quiet.

All this, of course, would really only be shown all out once, for the suit's reveal to Clark, or the first time he puts it on. After that it would happen very quickly, or off camera.

I also think it could be done in a way that preserves the shirt rip. All they would have to do is first establish to the audience how the suit works. Then, when it comes time for Clark to step into action, just show him activating the suit, have the sound effects of it materializing under his clothes, maybe show a hint of it materializing around his wrists and up his chest as he loosens his tie, and then he rips open his shirt to reveal the fully formed S.
I like this idea alot. I would be fine with this.

At the end of the day, i just want a shirt rip scene. It's such an iconic image. Clark running down an alley, ripping open his shirt, revealing the "S".

Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #298
SuperWig
Side-Kick

Quote:
Keeping the suit elsewhere wouldn't allow for a shirt rip, which a lot of people want to keep.
I never liked the shirt rip to be honest, I know it looks cool in a picture, but i dont know. I could do without. I just want to watch the freakin movie already.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #299
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I don't really care if they keep it or not, to be honest. But it's always fun to see.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #300
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

I think a nanosuit raises more questions than asking the audience to suspend disbelief about the suit fitting under Clark's clothes. A nanosuit that expands over one's body when needed makes no logical sense as anything but a superhero costume. I mean what use would Kryptonians have for such a suit? It's not like its bodyarmour that activates when needed. If it was, they would have no need for all the plate armor the wear over the bodysuits. Moreover, it's not just a science fiction concession like Dr. is arguing. We are talking about something that conjures up childhood images of the cheesiest, most fantastical children's cartoons and shows like Power Rangers. That is what most people think of when they think of nanosuits that magically spread over heroes' bodies when needed.

Having Clark transform into Superman in such a fashion, no matter the quality of the effect, just doesn't give with the understated, real world aesthetic Snyder and co are going for with this movie. Superman hiding his supersuit under his day clothes is simple, classic and iconic. The boots and cape can be fudged just like Batman's magical eye makeup or the fact that his memory cloth cape is too small to actually work as a parachute/glider.

Closed Thread