The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #51
fantastic fifth
...just in case...

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
And then he uttered the words...."Let's go for a spin..." *shakes head*
My son and I use that quite frequently and laugh our heads off.......just terrible

fantastic fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #52
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
I remember the days when people argued in all seriousness that a dictator of a foreign country was unsuitable for film and a businessman was the way to go.

We've come so far since then.
FF1 actually came within spitting distance of selling the idea of Corporate Doom. It just completely fell apart shortly after they got back to Earth. If only they had Victor as sole shareholder in Doom Corp, and not get any powers he didn't create for himself based on the FF's mutations. . .

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #53
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
FF1 actually came within spitting distance of selling the idea of Corporate Doom. It just completely fell apart shortly after they got back to Earth. If only they had Victor as sole shareholder in Doom Corp, and not get any powers he didn't create for himself based on the FF's mutations. . .
Businessman villains were done to death, even in 2004, and it pales in comparison to the imagination and grandiosity of the original comic book Doom.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #54
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Here's what I want:

- Latveria being an essential part of his character
- Actual sorcery as well as technological prowess in the league of film Tony Stark

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #55
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I actually didn't mind the idea of Corporate Doom. Hell, I even liked Julian McMahon. It was such a script and the direction that doomed the film.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #56
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Here's what I want:

- Latveria being an essential part of his character
- Actual sorcery as well as technological prowess in the league of film Tony Stark
I actually would want him to be *better* scientifically than Tony, just like Reed should be.

Sorcery. . . is dicey. Its so dependent on how you include magic in the setting. Hence why, if FF were to revert, I'd want Dr Strange to come out before a FF movie centered on Doom, so that Strange can introduce the "rules" of magic into the setting.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #57
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

That's a good idea actually. Tragically, those films could never be in the same continuity. That is so unfortunate.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #58
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Businessman villains were done to death, even in 2004, and it pales in comparison to the imagination and grandiosity of the original comic book Doom.
I don't mind corporate villains, if they were supposed to be corporate villains in the comics or if they were not interesting in the comics and making them corporate tycoons would have improved them.

For example: I don't think anyone had a problem with Obadiah Stane being a corporate villain, considering that is what he was in the comics.

Likewise I wonder how people would have had a problem with making Wizard a corporate villain in the FF movies. Wizard was rich and influential in the cmics, till he pissed his wealth and influence on a non nonsensical vendetta against the FF, why not simply have him keep his wealth and good standing and then use it against the FF, instead of throwing it away on nothing?

For Dr. Doom, making a corporate tycoon is a step back, not forward.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #59
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

In all honesty, do we feel that whenever Doom does finally show up, that they will do his appearance justice? In other words, can we expect this to be the Doom we see on the big screen or will there be people to start making "creative changes"?

Why mess with perfection? It was perfect in 1962 and it remains a timeless classic....

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #60
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Someone should make an Ironman manip and throw a green tunic and cape over it.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #61
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinScrier View Post
In all honesty, do we feel that whenever Doom does finally show up, that they will do his appearance justice? In other words, can we expect this to be the Doom we see on the big screen or will there be people to start making "creative changes"?

Why mess with perfection? It was perfect in 1962 and it remains a timeless classic....
IMO I don't think anyone but Marvel Studios can produce a Movie Doom that embodies the original version. The other studios just wouldn't be able to resist "reimagining" the character.

Saitou Hajime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #62
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
I almost spit out my drink in shock of how much better this looks compared to the finished product

Why on earth would they want to change it?!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #63
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDaveBanner View Post
I almost spit out my drink in shock of how much better this looks compared to the finished product

Why on earth would they want to change it?!
THAT is the mystery that is Tom Rothman and Fox...

Parts of this did make it to the finished Doom in FF2, just not enough of it, but I still like the FF2 Doom better than the first one.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #64
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Luckily, that hack is no longer working at Fox. Hopefully that means good things for the future of the FF on the big screen.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #65
Lord
All Mighty

Wait, didn't the film actually use that version? I remember Doom being completelly armored

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #66
BigSams50
J! E! T! S! JETS!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #67
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSams50 View Post
I didn't think it looked bad at all in the 2nd movie....maybe if they had used more green...but other than that, it looked good. It was the lines that Doom said that was the problem for me.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #68
webhead731
I'm a photographer

I thought it looked okay in motion but looking at stills I think it looks goofy and stupid. I honestly like the look he had in the first film. But I would like a more comic-accurate design for a future movie.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #69
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSams50 View Post
as we can see from this photo, Fox had the armor removed from his upper arms [using only the gloves] and replaced the pelvis and leg armor with leather pants [!]. I believe the boots were the armored ones. I think a very dark green cape and hood were tested but also not used.

again, these choices seem odd since in the movie the purpose of the armor was to contain the power cosmic. still better than an overcoat and slacks.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #70
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Overall, I think he should just be the height of human perfection. He should be incredibly intelligent, physically fit, probably plays the piano or something weird, and, raised by gypsies he should take advantage of their magics and weaponize it into powerful sorcery.

He should indeed be portrayed as far more intelligent than Stark. He should develop the armor (not specifically as a weapon like Iron Man, but to contain/enhance his overly destructive sorcery) and an army of "doombots" or something similar.

His voice should be extremely pronounced, even if they have to do it bodiless like Bane, and it should definitely be accented. Preferably Eastern European. Latveria is important, but whether the citizens fear him, respect him or are mind-controlled by him is up for creative debate, so long as its done well.

He should be included in the F4 origin, but that is NOT where he should gain his powers.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 02-14-2013 at 01:11 AM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #71
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

I personally think this could be the exterior of Castle Doom...maybe with a slight color change but its large and imposing...just change it to look a little darker and I think this could easily be what overlooks the villages of Latveria..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neuschwanstein_Castle_Bavaria_Germany_-_clowds.jpg (151.1 KB, 0 views)

Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #72
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinScrier View Post
I personally think this could be the exterior of Castle Doom...maybe with a slight color change but its large and imposing...just change it to look a little darker and I think this could easily be what overlooks the villages of Latveria..
They should film on site in Bavaria!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #73
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

It would be easier to film in Prague, there is already an infrastructure set up there for filming large movies, and it is cheaper than many places in Europe. Prague has really put out the red carpet for Hollywood....

Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #74
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
[Dr. Doom] He should be included in the F4 origin, but that is NOT where he should gain his powers.
Why?

He had nothing to do with their origin in the comics, so why tie him to it here [assuming they make the foolish mistake of wasting the time it would take to retell the origin - did they learn nothing from ASM?].
That was one of the problems with the first one.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #75
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Why?

He had nothing to do with their origin in the comics, so why tie him to it here [assuming they make the foolish mistake of wasting the time it would take to retell the origin - did they learn nothing from ASM?].
That was one of the problems with the first one.
Because its the only near-logical way to develop his hatred for Reed. And they definitely should touch on the origin. "Learn nothing from ASM"?? Just because you didnt enjoy it doesnt mean the rest of us didnt want to see a new look at Spidey's origin. When i see a reboot i want it to be a reboot.