The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #251
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Default Re: 2012/2013 NBA thread: My Team is Better Than Your Team! - Part 2

What these guys are wearing is a reflection of urban culture at this time, not the other way around, whether you agree with it or not.

When Allen Iverson started with the cornrows, tats, and extra baggy shorts & clothes, it wasn't something he created. All he did was bring to the NBA what kids were wearing in the street at the time. Michael Jordan wearing the gold chain, hoop earring & longer shorts (in comparison to the 80's players) was the exact same thing.

I don't know how many of you guys are minorities, live in urban environments or frequent multicultural bars & clubs, but black & brown kids have been wearing skinny jeans & metro-sexual style clothing for at least the last 3-4 years. It's a few generations removed from mine, so I do find it odd and funny but I don't have a real issue with it, it's their expression for their generation, not mine. And if you're over 30, not yours either.

The players are just trying to make their own statement in the NBA by bringing that to the forefront. My question is, why are you guys so bothered by it? If people were so bothered by the super big clothes hanging off their ass years ago, how can you be bothered by super slim & tight? Can't have it both ways. And young black kids from urban areas will always reflect and represent their culture and style of their particular time, it's that simple...

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock

Last edited by Doc Samson; 02-17-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #252
L.A.
Side-Kick

I live in the hood and believe me no one dresses like westbrook! Idk what these players are smoking

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #253
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Every hood's a little different. Over where I'm at, I see it. Not to the extent of the NBA players, because they're always gonna turn it up. But I've been seeing it for at least 3 years. And the young entertainers/rappers certainly be on it longer than that.

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock

Last edited by Doc Samson; 02-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #254
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. View Post
I live in the hood and believe me no one dresses like westbrook! Idk what these players are smoking
Me too. I grew up in all-black and chico neighbors (from South Cali to South Florida) and I don't remember dudes dressing up like Westbrook. Virtually every guy in the hood wore black/white tees or Lowrider shirts and saggy pants.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #255
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
Every hood's a little different. Over where I'm at, I see it. Not to the extent of the NBA players, because they're always gonna turn it up. But I've been seeing it for at least 3 years. And the young entertainers/rappers certainly be on it longer than that.
I don't mean to get racial up in here, but isn't the African-American community extremely homophobic? In most of these places, a person wearing a metro-sexual outfit would get mocked all day long.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #256
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I don't mean to get racial up in here, but isn't the African-American community extremely homophobic? In most of these places, a person wearing a metro-sexual outfit would get mocked all day long.
It used to be that way. And blacks still are homophobic in the traditional sense, but as far as "fashion" kids have been wearing skinny jeans with tight shirts for awhile now. Like I said, it's not to the level of the NBA guys because these kids don't have the access to shop in the same places, and not every single kid is on that just like every single kid wasn't on the super baggy white T's & jeans. But the general basis of it, is what the culture is now in most places.

- Floyd Mayweather

"
-
Chris Rock

Last edited by Doc Samson; 02-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #257
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
What these guys are wearing is a reflection of urban culture at this time, not the other way around, whether you agree with it or not.

When Allen Iverson started with the cornrows, tats, and extra baggy shorts & clothes, it wasn't something he created. All he did was bring to the NBA what kids were wearing in the street at the time. Michael Jordan wearing the gold chain, hoop earring & longer shorts (in comparison to the 80's players) was the exact same thing.

I don't know how many of you guys are minorities, live in urban environments or frequent multicultural bars & clubs, but black & brown kids have been wearing skinny jeans & metro-sexual style clothing for at least the last 3-4 years. It's a few generations removed from mine, so I do find it odd and funny but I don't have a real issue with it, it's their expression for their generation, not mine. And if you're over 30, not yours either.

The players are just trying to make their own statement in the NBA by bringing that to the forefront. My question is, why are you guys so bothered by it? If people were so bothered by the super big clothes hanging off their ass years ago, how can you be bothered by super slim & tight? Can't have it both ways. And young black kids from urban areas will always reflect and represent their culture and style of their particular time, it's that simple...
I'm 26 and trust me, I'm down with the latest fashions. But these guys are taking skinny jeans and ugly ass shirts to whole new levels. To the point where it almost is like a satirical take on the latest trends.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #258
Mister J
XVI
SHH! Global Moderator

I sense a bump for Darthphere's fashion thread coming.

edit: House of Style thread. Whatever. Leave me alone.

Patrick James Riley
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #259
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Same thing brah.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #260
Mr. Dent

Has anyone retired with 35,000 points, 9,000 rebounds, and 8,000 assists? Because that's what Lebron is on pace for.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #261
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Has anyone retired with 35,000 points, 9,000 rebounds, and 8,000 assists? Because that's what Lebron is on pace for.
Those are all garbage stats unless he wins 17 rings.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #262
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

could anyone else do with out the music intro at the all star game?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #263
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

live sports should eliminate live music period, all live acts are crap now they don't need talent anymore

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #264
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

harden with mark henry intro

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #265
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

its just annoying. just say who is playing and get on with it, dont give us a untalented artist who sings two words and is followed by a pre recorded singer.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #266
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Dwight been traded yet?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #267
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Always fun to watch Pop alongside Spoelstra, it's like looking at a rocket scientist next to a high school drop out

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #268
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Those are all garbage stats unless he wins 17 rings.
But, I thought you can't measure success by the number of rings you have, at least that's what Lebron said the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
could anyone else do with out the music intro at the all star game?
Yeah, it almost seems like the music and intros is longer than the actual game.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #269
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
Always fun to watch Pop alongside Spoelstra, it's like looking at a rocket scientist next to a high school drop out

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #270
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
But, I thought you can't measure success by the number of rings you have, at least that's what Lebron said the other day.
Dan Marino never made it to the Superbowl, but he's still remembered as one of the greatest QBs of all time. Peyton has only won one but he'll still go down as perhaps the greatest QB of all time when it's all said and then.

Kobe was measured by the rings he won without Shaq but do you believe that would have mattered a decade after retirement? Fans likely would referred to him as the greatest Laker in franchise history and a Top 5-10 player to ever grace the sport.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #271
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Alicia Keyes sings her New York song at a Texas all star game AGAIN

Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #272
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
My sarcasm must be broken.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #273
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

oh no kobe just stuffed Lebron, these last few minutes gon be good

Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #274
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

love Kobe. Micheal comes out and says something about him and lebron, everyone is talking about Lebron being the next Jordan. Lebron answers to the media, Kobe gives his on the court.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #275
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Something tells me we are going to see those blocks replayed quite a few times. That was so bad nike is going to have to try confiscating all thee tapes

Closed Thread