The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #376
Gary Griffith
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

I'm so psyched for this movie! The XM:FC cast and the original cast? And the return of Bryan? That's a win-win-win! I'm an old fart and can remember the days when superhero entertainment meant the Hulk and Wonder Woman tv shows (I hated them both), an awful Spider Man tv show and 2 incredibly bad Capt. America tv movies! What a world we live in today. Enjoy it people. I know I am.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #377
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
It depends on who they use as the time-traveler. If they go with Kitty, I don't even care who she runs into in the past because she didn't make any strong connections (on-screen) with any of the characters that would exist in X3. Obviously, I'm not rooting for her to be the time-traveler unless it's as part of a group.

For anyone else (like Logan, Storm, or Xavier's consciousness), it would be just OK if it was Xavier, Mags, Mystique, and Beast. But it would be AMAZING if they were to encounter Jean and Scott due to the fact that they're dead in the future and they had to grieve them. (You can argue that Storm may have met Havok and Banshee sometime between FC and X1, but that would be a hallow farce.)
I agree with your second post! I liked how in the comic Kate/Kitty was so happy to see Nightcrawler alive in the past cause he was dead in the future. There should be a scene where the time traveler is elated/emotional to see either Scott, Jean, Storm, or even Hank alive in '73 cause we, the viewer, know their fate.

As far as the story shifting 10 yrs a lot can happen; either Havok, Banshee decided to leave the school, Emma could've reformed(although I see her taking the role of "destiny" from the comic), enough time for Mystique to become RR character from the OT, and maybe Angel/Riptide are dead, or Mags left them behind after a failed mission. One thing is apparent I think mutant/human relations/paranoia will be at all time high thanks to Magneto

Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #378
Angamb
Banned User

Id love to see Kitty meeting young Beast. even if they didnt share a dialogue on Last Stand.

but still would be a special scene, at least to me. And to watch Ellen Page and Nicholas Hoult sharing one scene would be cool

Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #379
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

If they want the time traveller to meet someone in the past who is also in the future or maybe already dead in the future - which would be a great moment - that has to be Beast, Mystique, Xavier or Magneto (or Wolverine, of course, how could I forget him lol).

If DoFP's future is set after X3, it raises questions about Mystique since her story ended in X3. And Beast would probably be dead in future because his position with the UN would make him one of the first targets and and an easy one to find - he's not hiding away any more.

They could use Nightcrawler in the story but his appearance being so similar to Azazel would have to be addressed; they couldn't just leave it for people to think 'oh, they are similar but different colours.'

It's a big balancing act, for sure. I can see why Storm might be tricky too - there is no version in the X-Men in the past yet. But she would good to see in the future fighting against Sentinels with her powers.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 02-17-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #380
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
This is true. However a LOT of time has passed. This is a big moment for Bryan--he's returning to the baby he basically created. If we're totally honest, it's Bryan's X1 that launched the entire comic book movie fascination that we've enjoyed for 13 years now. IRON MAN kicked off the whole f***ing Marvel cinematic universe. Storm was one of his original castings. To exclude her upon his return is just smart.
Fixed.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #381
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Logan View Post
Fixed.
I always find it so arrogant and presumptuous when people edit someone else's post because they don't think it's correct. Couldn't you just state your view rather than trying to suppress/override someone else's?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #382
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

A non-arrogant internet nerd?

Get out.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #383
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Fixed.
Knock it off, Alex. No one asked or wanted you to 'fix' anyone's posts.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #384
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Id love to see Kitty meeting young Beast. even if they didnt share a dialogue on Last Stand.

but still would be a special scene, at least to me. And to watch Ellen Page and Nicholas Hoult sharing one scene would be cool
That could be a nice moment, yes.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #385
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I agree it was X-Men. I was therrreee mannn...I saw how crazy it got...Spider-Man was then the icing on the cake that started it all.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #386
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
As much as Wobbly's theory (sort of) makes sense, it would defeat the whole point of having this film clearing up continuity issues.
Yeah, Theres really only two options for the future scenes to start off. Post X3 or complete Alt timeline. Characters are gonna drop like flies either way so probably wanna make sure the conclusion of the film has a possibility of Scott and other characters returning. Otherwise they are just making a larger problem. Since we know The Wolverine is post X3 and ties into Dofp, I think that and the fact that they kind of need to fix some things for the franachise to continue will make them use a post X3 future. Its really the best way to go for the franchise...

Last edited by def28; 02-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #387
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Fixed.
Yeah, 2008 is when superhero movies made their mark. Definitely not the billion dollar grossing X-Men franchise or the multibillion dollar Spider-Man franchise before it.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #388
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I always find it so arrogant and presumptuous when people edit someone else's post because they don't think it's correct. Couldn't you just state your view rather than trying to suppress/override someone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Knock it off, Alex. No one asked or wanted you to 'fix' anyone's posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Yeah, 2008 is when superhero movies made their mark. Definitely not the billion dollar grossing X-Men franchise or the multibillion dollar Spider-Man franchise before it.
OMG people... it was a joke. This is the reason that this place is no longer any fun.

Stop watching The Big Bang Theory and get out more.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #389
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
OMG people... it was a joke. This is the reason that this place is no longer any fun.

So are you going to "fix it" back or what?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #390
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post

So are you going to "fix it" back or what?
Seeeeeeeee? This is how people should take it.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #391
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I agree it was X-Men. I was therrreee mannn...I saw how crazy it got...Spider-Man was then the icing on the cake that started it all.
X-Men really started this "comic-book movies golden era". I don't think Blade really made an impact back in 1998. And most of us joined this message board when X3 wasn't even released yet and there was no MCU yet.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #392
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
X-Men really started this "comic-book movies golden era". I don't think Blade really made an impact back in 1998. And most of us joined this message board when X3 wasn't even released yet and there was no MCU yet.
Blade was considered by successful by Marvel I think...or maybe it was Stan Lee who thought so. But I agree this train of comic book movies really began with X-Men and Spider-Man. (Which ironically happens to be my favorite superhero and my favorite superhero team...)

Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #393
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Scott & Jean would be too young for 1973. Even if they were both born then they would be 27 for X1 (2000), or 33 by X3 (2006). I know they never stated what the 'present' year was in the original trilogy but it sure wasn't meant to be in the past.

To have a young Scott & Jean in this film the original trilogy would have be taken back a decade at least.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #394
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Scott & Jean would be too young for 1973. Even if they were both born then they would be 27 for X1 (2000), or 33 by X3 (2006). I know they never stated what the 'present' year was in the original trilogy but it sure wasn't meant to be in the past.

To have a young Scott & Jean in this film the original trilogy would have be taken back a decade at least.
I'm hoping they find a way around this.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #395
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah, Theres really only two options for the future scenes to start off. Post X3 or complete Alt timeline. Characters are gonna drop like flies either way so probably wanna make sure the conclusion of the film has a possibility of Scott and other characters returning. Otherwise they are just making a larger problem. Since we know The Wolverine is post X3 and ties into Dofp, I think that and the fact that they kind of need to fix some things for the franachise to continue will make them use a post X3 future. Its really the best way to go for the franchise...
Going post X3 for the sentinel future raises questions that cannot be easily dismissed, or if they are then there's gonna be a fair bit of presumption taken that the audience is just gonna get how Xavier is still alive, how his new body looks exactly the same as before, how Moira went from being a CIA agent to a genetic scientist, and American to Scottish, without ageing much at all in over 40 years, Rogue and Magneto presumably getting their powers back, etc.

That being said quotes from Singer and Millar posted here do seem to support that it will be post X3 in some way. If that is the case that gives them the chance to effectively reboot the 'present' day franchise when the 1973 event is changed (perhaps the big event will be shown to be an important part of the original trilogy past)

The continuity errors can then be simply ignored, rather than needing to be fixed (not sure how they can 'fix' some of them in any event...Xavier walking at the start of X3 and still pals with Eric springs to mind).

There is a 3rd option though: They could still go the alternate route (easiest one for explanation purposes) and still reboot the timeline from 1973. I think a lot will depend on just what the event is that they are changing. It could end up being something that gets changed in a manner that negates both the Sentinel future and the original timeline (if Mystique were killed for example).

Not sure if Singer would really want that though. Would mean he'd be effectively 'erasing' his X1 and X2, as well as Ratner's X3.

Anyway, atm I still lean towards them going the alternate route for the Sentinel future as it seems the easiest option to me (I stand to be corrected as we learn more of course). How this film concludes and what that will mean for a potential 'present' day X4 remains to be seen.

Last edited by wobbly; 02-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #396
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

I'm thinking, if they are planning to do younger version of the Scott/Jean/Ororo, it should be set in the late 80s like 1989 (the year that I was born ). And I wonder if they are going to do a First Class movie set in the 90s. The X-Men trilogy felt so 00s especially it was released in the 00s.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #397
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anyway, atm I still lean towards them going the alternate route for the Sentinel future as it seems the easiest option to me (I stand to be corrected as we learn more of course). How this film concludes and what that will mean for a potential 'present' day X4 remains to be seen.
Thats what I thought they would do when the film was first announced, def the easiest way to get everyone back without explaining. But then the options for the future of the franchise got me thinking they would either want a fresh start with FC by not having it be part of the X1,2 and 3 timeline, so its not as constricting. Or possibly even starting a new for the original trilogy by using a fixable future instead of an alt timeline. Really dont see them going back to the X1,2 or 3 at the end either way imo. Could be wrong, guess without knowing where they want the franchise after DOFP its kind of impossible. Personally I want those three films left in the past and for them to focus on a somewhat clean start but hopefully its a good time either way.

Last edited by def28; 02-17-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #398
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:

Well, maybe add a sarcasti-face next time. Too many MCU fantrolls one the webs these days...

Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #399
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:

It's cool, we're all just turning insane

Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #400
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anyway, atm I still lean towards them going the alternate route for the Sentinel future as it seems the easiest option to me (I stand to be corrected as we learn more of course).
Alternate future was what I thought of as well. Apart from it being the easiest option, to me it seemed that placing the Sentinel future post-X3 kinda deals a crappy hand to the X1-X3 characters. Once you change something in the past, either their whole timeline ceases to exist, or the action creates an alternate (reboot?) timeline with the alternate versions of the X1-X3 characters. So every time I'd watch X1 or X2, it would be kinda depressing to think that all those characters have nothing much to look forward to, and that Professor X's dream of coexistence eventually comes to nothing, in this timeline.

Judging by the most recent comments though, it seems that DoFP is set post-X3 after all.

Closed Thread