The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #101
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenbach View Post
Ford returning to the role of Han Solo doesn't mean the acting or the movie will be good. Anyone remember the last Indiana Jones movie??
Only Ford was amazing as Indy in Crystal Skull. The acting was the least of that movie's problems.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #102
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Yea, because that wouldn't forever taint the OT more than it already has been or anything...
Killing him off to kill him off would indeed taint Ep7 (not the OT). But if it's poignant and serves the story and a theme, then I don't see what's the problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #103
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Am I the only one who finds the idea of seeing old, fat, decrepit Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford showing up 30 years later as "Luke", "Leia", and "Han" depressing?
They're old, and so are their characters. It's not like we're getting a "Roger Moore in the last 2-3 Bond flicks" deal here.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #104
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Napier View Post
I know it's part of his arc and all, but no one wants to see Solo say those three words to Princess Leia.
Speak for yourself, please.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #105
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
I don't get the bloodlust. Solo's one of the most well-liked characters in film history, and after waiting 30+ years, he's killed off? Someone mentioned Chewie dying, and that makes a lot more sense to me.

Instead of having Solo go out in a blaze of glory, he needs to not be a p*ssy. I hate to say it, but in ROTJ, he was becoming a little too sentimental. I know it's part of his arc and all, but no one wants to see Solo say those three words to Princess Leia.

Also, while Hamill is getting into shape, that's a hell of an uphill battle for Carrie Fisher. Leia did a lot of death sticks in the past 30 years.
It's not so much about bloodlust, but I think there needs to be a transition to a newer generation because lets face it the principle cast members are in their 60's and 70's now, produces can't be relying on them to take the series forward to episode X and beyond. Solo especially is that one that has to be killed off I feel, at least the first one.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.

Last edited by jmc; 02-18-2013 at 04:31 AM.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #106
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Han somewhere during Ep7. Luke at the end of Ep9. Leia whenever.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #107
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
I don't get the bloodlust. Solo's one of the most well-liked characters in film history, and after waiting 30+ years, he's killed off? Someone mentioned Chewie dying, and that makes a lot more sense to me.

Instead of having Solo go out in a blaze of glory, he needs to not be a p*ssy. I hate to say it, but in ROTJ, he was becoming a little too sentimental. I know it's part of his arc and all, but no one wants to see Solo say those three words to Princess Leia.

Also, while Hamill is getting into shape, that's a hell of an uphill battle for Carrie Fisher. Leia did a lot of death sticks in the past 30 years.
Carrie Fisher got crazy skinny and looks good

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #108
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Are there any recent pics of her and Mark?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #109
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I don't think wanting to see any of the OT characters killed of is "blood lust". It's just a natural progression of their stories and some fans want to see it handled in a meaningful way. Star Wars isn't Marvel or DC where the characters just live forever.

Personally I'm not fussed one way or the other. If they're killed off and do it well, great. If they don't kill them off and leave it an open ended question, or leave it to the EU, that's cool too.
They should be left open ended. They don't have to die on screen in order for it to naturally progress. They could simply hand the reins over to the next generation.

NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #110
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

As a huge Han Solo fan, this news is terrific. I still want a confirmation from Lucasfilm and Disney though, but if Ford does reprise his role I think the new trilogy would already be amazing, at least to this fan. I hope Hamill and Fisher will follow suit shortly.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #111
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

I just don't understand the love/devotion to these actors who aren't even that good. Harrison Ford is the best of them, but Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher aren't exactly winning Oscars, and there are so many better (and younger) actors out there who would be great in these parts and would do a better job than the original trio.

So we really want the old cast back--for what? So we can see a version of characters we love in their 60's and 70's just so the actors can reprise the roles?

I love the characters, not the actors. They barely resemble the characters they played thirty years ago, and the last thing I want is this huge, unexplained gap between what happened in the last movie to their lives as senior citizens. At best, we'll get a story where the original trio play the roles of spiritual guides to a younger group, instead of what we could have, which is a movie where Luke, Han and Leia come back as the main heroes.

Trekkies let go of Shatner for the 2009 Star Trek movie...why can't we let go of the original trio for a new Star Wars sequel?

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #112
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
I just don't understand the love/devotion to these actors who aren't even that good. Harrison Ford is the best of them, but Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher aren't exactly winning Oscars, and there are so many better (and younger) actors out there who would be great in these parts and would do a better job than the original trio.

So we really want the old cast back--for what? So we can see a version of characters we love in their 60's and 70's just so the actors can reprise the roles?

I love the characters, not the actors. They barely resemble the characters they played thirty years ago, and the last thing I want is this huge, unexplained gap between what happened in the last movie to their lives as senior citizens. At best, we'll get a story where the original trio play the roles of spiritual guides to a younger group, instead of what we could have, which is a movie where Luke, Han and Leia come back as the main heroes.

Trekkies let go of Shatner for the 2009 Star Trek movie...why can't we let go of the original trio for a new Star Wars sequel?
That statement would be true if it wasn't for the fact that Trekkies didn't let go of Nimoy.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #113
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Also, **** Star Trek

Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #114
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post

Because the characters are very crucial to the story. You can't have a theme of "passing on what has been learned" if the people who are supposed to be passing it on are not in the film.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #115
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Are there any recent pics of her and Mark?
Seconded.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #116
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Because the characters are very crucial to the story. You can't have a theme of "passing on what has been learned" if the people who are supposed to be passing it on are not in the film.
Okay...so everyone seems pretty content on having Luke, Leia and Han as cameo spiritual guides instead of main leads because we want back actors who barely look like the characters they once played.

And Nimoy had a small cameo role in ST09, simply because ST happens to have time travel as one of their plot devices. That won't happen in Star Wars (probably not, at least).

And Batman or any other iconic character would make a good example of my point, not just ST--it's not the actors that are fundamental to the universe, it's the characters.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #117
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron View Post
Also, **** Star Trek
I agree.

My only concern is Ford being fit enough for the action scenes.

If you want marvel babbies to stop torchering Idris Elba, copy and paste this into your signature.
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #118
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron View Post
Also, **** Star Trek
Very mature.

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #119
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I agree.

Well there is a thing called stunt doubles as well. And more importantly Han Solo has never been as "physical" as Indy was. And if he could do Indy 5 years ago, he could still easily do Han. Mainly Han is known for his blaster shooting, and flying the Falcon. I doubt he will have anything more than that. Mark will have to be getting in shape if he is doing any lightsaber fighting which is the most intense stuff being done. The majority of the action I'm sure will be with the new cast. Except maybe Luke he might have some more to do in there.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #120
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Carrie Fisher got crazy skinny and looks good
That voice, though...

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #121
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That voice, though...
They'll probably tweak it some in post...or get James Earl Jones to do her voice. Which I'd be down for.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #122
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I agree.

For a man his age, he is fit and can get fitter for Han. And if you saw 'Cowboys & Aliens', he still can rock a vest and high boots!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #123
Octoberist
point blank

Carrie got super skinny in 2004-2005. I'm sure she can do it again (if she lays off the boozes and el-drugos......snark-snark-snark!)

Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #124
Solidus
The Force Awakens

I believe she already has lost a lot. I remember less than a year ago she was on some talk show and she had lost a ton of weight.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #125
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Well it seems she lost 50 pounds in 2011. She looks pretty good there.

I wouldn't worry that much. Diets only really work for a year so hopefully she stays committed. Not to mention, movie magic will make her look better.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote