The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #301
Schrute
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - - - - Part 25

For me it did get better after repeated viewings

Honestly I like the original Spidey and the reboot, so I'm happy I can enjoy each Spider-Man film made...not so much #3, but some of it...

Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #302
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Told ya, lol.

Yah, when you see him passing that street, he grabs at his phone and I also believe we see Peter's phone lighting up while he's on that bridge but he doesn't answer it. Although, Ben's tone is quite different in that voice message, so it's weird.
i think ben's voice message was left when he called peter, when peter didn't pick up aunt may. it was quite clear peter was going through something, and Ben and May picked up on it.. so that's probably when it happened

or yeah, it could have been while on the bridge. because Ben had also calmed down by then

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #303
mayo23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
^^ Haha, agreed, but that was one moment where I felt it was a little more tasteful.

Overall though, the difference between this film and Batman Begins (and I'm sorry to compare them, but as of now they are the first two full-on reboots for superhero films) is that Batman Begins made you actually forget there were any films that came before. For the most part it just existed on its own terms ("I'm Batman" is the one moment that felt like a nod to the first film). Whereas this one, with the retelling the origin, almost had to draw attention to the fact that things were being done differently. It felt a bit like it was justifying its existence in places.

I think this also shows that the studios are not going to be able too keep rebooting things forever. They barely got away with it this time, and they took a lot of heat for it. Just imagine if they try re-telling Spidey's origin again in another 10 years. I'm pretty sure there'd be fanboy protests
Just saying, but your point sort of proves why you can't really compare the two reboots, given the circumstances. Going from Schumacher's Batman to Begins more or less felt like the right path to go whereas Spider-man 3 was no where near as bad to really warrant a reboot. As for the bolded and ASM feeling like it was justifying it's existence, that's exactly it had to do ever since it was announced, also given that Marc Webb wanted to re-establish and build another universe starting from Peter's childhood. Even now ASM2 still feels like it's trying to justify it's existence.

And as for the voice message from Ben, the alternate take of Ben's death shows Peter receiving a call from Ben but then rejecting it.

mayo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #304
Oscorp
Side-Kick

This reboot having to justify its existence was the biggest downside to this film for me (though I loved the film). I think that's why we never saw the awesome wrestling part of Spidey's origin and why Connors wasn't as sympathetic as he should be. I wouldn't have minded the slightest if the wrestling scene was in the film, but lots of people already complained that the film was too much of a been there, done that.

It could have done without the origin but Raimi messed it up with Sandman and all that, so it was still needed to clear things up and at the same time introduce the love life of Peter and Gwen etc.

I just hope they don't go more Ultimate than needed. It's already too heavily based on Ultimate I think, especially if they go with R.H.I.N.O. Yet it's called "The Amazing Spider-Man". They can still go more with a 616 route and it would still feel different from Raimi's films if they keep the tone, actors etc. that they have now.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #305
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I think its nicely mixed between the 616 and Ultimate Spider-Man incarnations.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #306
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think its nicely mixed between the 616 and Ultimate Spider-Man incarnations.
Agreed. To me Amazing Spider-man is to Spider-man movies(combo of ultimate and 616) more or less what Spectacular Spider-man was to Spider-man cartoons. I love when the combine ideas from different part of the mythos in order to make a unique Spider-man story.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #307
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

webb is a talented director but TAS did seem to have production problems which is quite obvious from the deleted scenes

but i have to point out how beautifully the crane scene is done, not so much why were the cranes set up like that but more just the the feel, the music, and emotion the scene set up, it felt like the first time we ever seen spiderman webswing and its easy to forget raimi had done 3 films that had alot of webslinging already

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #308
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
Just saying, but your point sort of proves why you can't really compare the two reboots, given the circumstances. Going from Schumacher's Batman to Begins more or less felt like the right path to go whereas Spider-man 3 was no where near as bad to really warrant a reboot. As for the bolded and ASM feeling like it was justifying it's existence, that's exactly it had to do ever since it was announced, also given that Marc Webb wanted to re-establish and build another universe starting from Peter's childhood. Even now ASM2 still feels like it's trying to justify it's existence.

And as for the voice message from Ben, the alternate take of Ben's death shows Peter receiving a call from Ben but then rejecting it.
Well funnily enough, to me the key difference doesn't have to do with the Schumacher movies as much as it has to do with Burton's first movie and the fact that it wasn't an origin film. It left a huge gap in the mythology for Nolan to dive into, which is very fortunate in retrospect.

I know they are sort of trying to do that with the Peter's parents' angle, but ASM and SM1 are definitely pretty similar in structure and are both essentially coming of age tales. For that reason it's hard not to compare them, and in some ways I think ASM invites the comparisons. Which is kind of interesting to me actually.

So anyway, I agree that ASM and BB really shouldn't be compared because the circumstances surrounding them are pretty different. Although, one has to wonder if Sony would have hit the reset button so quickly if not for the Nolan series setting the precedent for that and having huge success with it. The cinematic reboot concept is still fairly new.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #309
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

I thought the crane scene was pure stupid, now I like it, they helped Spidey save the entire city from turning reptilian
Still stupid, but entertaining and nicely placed

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

SPIDER-MAN: Taking selfies since the 60s, making money out of it.
SHH6 member 14: Supa-Pizza
Buh-Bye TMNT sub-forums, you will be missed.
Last date: 29th of October 2014.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #310
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

*deleted*

www.redlettermedia.com

Last edited by Repulsor Blast; 02-17-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: found the answer
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #311
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I thought the crane scene was pure stupid, now I like it, they helped Spidey save the entire city from turning reptilian
Still stupid, but entertaining and nicely placed

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #312
TheSpectacular
Christian and proud

After thinking about it, I'm disappointed by lack of quips at the bridge. The LIZARD was throwing CARs. That was just begging for a geico joke

Guardians of the Galaxy- 4/10
TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #313
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectacular View Post
After thinking about it, I'm disappointed by lack of quips at the bridge. The LIZARD was throwing CARs. That was just begging for a geico joke
It's all about timing

Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #314
Picard Sisko

I think Peter was too frightened to make any quips. Its easier to do that with a car thief, but a giant mutant Lizard throwing cars around is kind of... wtf?

I do like his "INCOMING!" as he swings and kicks the Lizard down before saving the boy.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #315
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Told ya, lol.
Its all subjective though. Can't really prove that a movie's WILL go down after repeat viewings. Personally, I find myself lowering ratings to most of movies I watch (yes, even the Dark Knight and the Avengers).

With TASM, my rating went down slightly, but I really enjoy it a lot after multiple viewings. Now that I know what to expect from it, I can really decide on how I feel about it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #316
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Ehh. I only just told Aziz what I believed, that it does go down after repeat viewings, and Aziz felt the same way.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #317
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

Yeah, it was less entertaining than first time
It deserves less, but I was generous and kept the 7.8/10

Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #318
Fox
Side-Kick

I could say the same thing about the Raimi trilogy.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #319
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

So? No one will stop you
All the Spider-Man movies are 7/10, all four of them, no more no less

Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #320
Fox
Side-Kick

To me that would depend on what your ranking them against.

Comparing the Spider-man films solely against other CBM's I would probably give TASM a higher ranking. However, comparing them to ALL FILMS in general, I would probably agree that 7/10 is a bit more fair.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #321
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
So? No one will stop you
All the Spider-Man movies are 7/10, all four of them, no more no less
Spider-Man 2 is fantastic though. Are you giving Spider-Man 3 a 7/10??

Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #322
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

In my opinion, there are most definitely things in this movie that didn't work, however what DID work was better than any other Spider-Man film or any other superhero film that came out this year.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #323
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Spider-Man 2 is fantastic though. Are you giving Spider-Man 3 a 7/10??
I hate Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man 2, she's annoying and pathetic, acts like a whiny brat, always hating on Peter cause he missed her play once, and unlike the MTV series, she didn't give suggestion for him to go watch it. leaves her husband to be on the altar, happy cause she knew Peter's secret
She is much better in Spider-Man 3, beside 3 or 4 annoying moments, she's her most tolerable in Spider-Man 3, I'm being nice here and giving SM3 a fair 7/10 instead of my usual 8.5/10

Spider-Man 2 also has the villain problem I mentioned over and over and over, Doc Ock should not be able to endure the attacks he received from the experienced Spider-Man, not when Bonesaw couldn't handle what he got from a teenager with hie newly found powers, and unlike Bonesaw who trained to endure pain cause it's part of athlete's training and wrestlers training, Octavius explained he is attached to his lab too much to be able to do what he did, he shouldn't be able to loosen the safe door as he did without any pain to his back
Basically, Octavius is not a villain to be used in movies if he's not the genius evil mastermind operating from behind the scenes, and his arms move fast enough to hardly allow Spider-Man to reach him

The power loss sub-plot is too pathetic, way too pathetic, and the scene at the Dr.s office is beyond stupid "It's not my dream, it's my friend's dream". Why do you tell a doctor examining you about a dream a friend of yours had, and say it's his?

And more stupidity here and there
The stupidity in Spider-Man 2 the movie is so high rise silly 60s comics made the plots used in that movie much better, 60s comics, with silly origins like that of Molten Man

Spider-Man 2 is NOT a fantastic film, it's poor, it's very poor, it's so poor Spider-Man 3 has better story telling, even with its continuity and miscellaneous issues. And it is the cheesiest of all cinematic Spidey films

I will repeat: This is not an opinion, it is an observation
If you will repeat what most people say "Your opinion" then here's a no, I enjoy it more than I complain about it, but that DOES-NOT-STOP-SEEING-HOW-POORLY-WRITTEN-THAT-FILM-IS

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #324
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Did you just pull an Anno now, Aziz?

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #325
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

I started doing that before Anno
And Spider-Man 2 the game is easily better than the movie