Originally Posted by Donut View Post
If John Williams is willing to return. Then you get John Williams. No question

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #277
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: Episode VII Music Composer?

Not even a debate.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #278
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

If John Williams is alive and still wants to score it,he gets the job.Subject closed.

If Abrams rejects Johnny,then in the words of Uncle Owen "There'll be hell to pay."

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #279
Kevin Smith
Banned User

^^ Das right!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #280
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Copperpot View Post
I just highly doubt that George Lucas wouldn't have called him once in the past 4 months since it was announced to the public. They've been working together for 35 years So I think JW would be someone he'd want to update personally. Plus, even if that didn't happen I'm sure his Family and friends would have been on top of it and kept him in the rumor loop. Let's not pretend that JW doesn't have some serious interest in what is happening.
Even for just possible scheduling reasons I think he'd have been contacted already. Anyways, it doesn't really matter, but I think we can safely assume he's in the preproduction planning already.
It's not about what you think is happening behind the scenes. Williams apparently thought that George was still at the helm, and his recent comment shows that.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #281
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
It's not about what you think is happening behind the scenes. Williams apparently thought that George was still at the helm, and his recent comment shows that.
He probably thinks Lucas is still involved somehow. I'd like to think JW has watched the news in the last 6 months.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #282
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
He probably thinks Lucas is still involved somehow. I'd like to think JW has watched the news in the last 6 months.
Was it all over the news or something? I remember mostly hearing about the hurricane during that time.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #283
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Regardless I still want Michael to be a part of it. Mainly because John could easily start with Episode VII...but as for the rest, he just may be too old. I think having Michael and him working together from the ground floor, it would give an easier transition when it goes primarily to Michael.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #284
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
John Williams is the greatest composer of all time. No one else can or will or better touch the score for Star Wars...ever. If he is coming back then that is honestly THE best news about this new series...and probably will be. Even better than the original cast returning. His music is half the movies. No one can touch this but him.

In fact his not returning is the only thing that would really make me not see the new films. I'm sorry he just is Star Wars to me.

They had better not get some ****** composer to eff it up...like...that Clone Wars cartoon for instance. Don't even try and do a riff off Williams' theme. Do it right or don't do it at all, I don't ever want to see someone try and immitate Williams. It's like dating a girl because she reminds you of your ex. It's frustrating and will never be the same.

So I said it before and I'll say it again: JOHN WILLIAMS OR GO HOME.
I'm a huge fan of Williams and he's without a doubt my first choice for this but I think you are going a bit too far. If Star Wars is to go on indefinitely then there will be a time where Williams cannot score it. That's just the way it is. These new films being done by new people means there is room for a fresh interpretation to the music change up the pace. It's also entirely up to Williams himself. If he doesn't want to do it and would rather leave it to the next generation so-to-speak then they shouldn't try and coerce him into doing it.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #285
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Regardless I still want Michael to be a part of it. Mainly because John could easily start with Episode VII...but as for the rest, he just may be too old. I think having Michael and him working together from the ground floor, it would give an easier transition when it goes primarily to Michael.
I agree, I'd like Giacchino involved as well.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #286
Solidus
Kylo Ren

He's going to have to be I figure. Even without JJ I'm sure they will have him for the other Star Wars, mainly because he helped with the tours, and ya, he is the most like Williams. But we have to face facts, John may not want to after a while, for multiple reasons. He could do Episode VII I'm sure. But by the time Episode VIII came out he would be 86 or 87 years old. There is just a time where it won't be feasible.

Michael has the spirit of John and very like style. So the two of them together would be amazing. Michael could learn a lot from him and Michael could also bring some fresh ideas in the mix.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #287
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I LOVE Zimmer. But he doesn't belong anywhere near Star Wars. I don't think he'd even want to. He's called John Williams the greatest living composer. He knows he's more limited in what he can do. He has more of a rock/electronic background, which works great for certain films...but Star Wars needs that classical foundation.

Maybe for a spinoff film, if they take different tones than the main saga. He does have a relationship with Disney having done The Lion King and the Pirates films. I'd love to hear his Darth Bane chant in a KOTOR film
Exactly. All of this.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #288
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
John Williams is the greatest composer of all time. No one else can or will or better touch the score for Star Wars...ever. If he is coming back then that is honestly THE best news about this new series...and probably will be. Even better than the original cast returning. His music is half the movies. No one can touch this but him.

In fact his not returning is the only thing that would really make me not see the new films. I'm sorry he just is Star Wars to me.

They had better not get some ****** composer to eff it up...like...that Clone Wars cartoon for instance. Don't even try and do a riff off Williams' theme. Do it right or don't do it at all, I don't ever want to see someone try and immitate Williams. It's like dating a girl because she reminds you of your ex. It's frustrating and will never be the same.

So I said it before and I'll say it again: JOHN WILLIAMS OR GO HOME.
As much as I want him to, Williams will probably not do all 3 movies. And don't kid yourself or us that you won't go see the Williams-less SW flicks.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #289
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
He's going to have to be I figure. Even without JJ I'm sure they will have him for the other Star Wars, mainly because he helped with the tours, and ya, he is the most like Williams.

Michael has the spirit of John and very like style. So the two of them together would be amazing. Michael could learn a lot from him and Michael could also bring some fresh ideas in the mix.
Gia in my opinion is not that similar to Williams and surely not the most like Williams in any way out of the current major film scoring composers. Mcneeley to name one does a much better Williams style (especially star wars) score. Using star tours as an example doesn't really back up the giacchino point. He didnt write the music for the ride which is what sounded like star wars because it was actually star wars music. His contributions were for the marketing campaign and some of the travel log vids. Those included re-arrangements of the Williams themes in a much different modern style. They certainly don't make him a shoe In for the most like Williams award. I'll take a Mcneeley, broughton,Doyle,Sylvestri,Powell or even a William Ross collaboration as a closer choice any day.

I just don't really get why everybody is so quick to jump on the Gia bandwagon for star wars. In responding please provide links of his works that actually demonstrate he has written music showcasing this style. I'm pretty sure I've heard all of his scores and nothing in his film resume catches my attention on the sci if genre. His animation scores are fun, but very heavy handed (perfect for that genre though) . Star trek, John Carter and super 8 just felt kinda forgettable, especially thematically. His old video game scores felt inspired by the Indiana jones scores, but much more simplified. I'm open minded, but please link me to the pieces that you feel best qualify him for the star wars successor.

Last edited by C_Copperpot; 02-18-2013 at 04:58 AM.
C_Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #290
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I must disagree about Star Trek. He did 3 phenomenal themes in it. And the "Exploring and Travelling" (or whatever it's called) theme from Lost is totally Williams to me. So is the military theme from the Medal of Honor games, which is highly evocative of the "Scherzo fur Motorcycle and Orchestra" from Indy and The Last Crusade.

I must semi-disagree about John Carter, too. Not a central memorable theme, but a couple motifs are memorable.

Totally agreed on Super 8. Then again, that's the movies fault, imo, didn't give him lots to work with.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #291
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

I definitely hear the indiana jones influence on his early video game scores, but didn't hear anything in lost (not that it should since the show was a completely different style) that sounded Williams-ish. Can you link to that track?

John carter was OK, but forgettable to me. That movie was ready to be scored in the Williams style thematically, but it just didn't happen. Can you stop/imagine the score and get filled with excitement? I can't remember anything from it. Even the non thematic moments in star wars are extremely memorable.

I really enjoyed the new star trek movie, but can only remember the main theme which I didn't really like. It felt more like a secondary theme to a main theme. what are the other two you are referring to?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #292
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Let me look them up for you. But I must tell you, it was 2 non-thematic moments of John Carter that I was talking about. You also have to keep in mind that we're getting into subjective territory. What you find memorable and what you don't is limited to you, no matter how many will agree or disagree with your taste. For example, I worship ST09's main theme.

Having said that...

Exploring and Traveling from Lost. Williams has shown range, so it may not be Iny/SW/Superman Williams, but it's Williams to me, alright.

Villain theme from ST09.

2 themes from ST09, the main one and the Spock one, in its more action-y rendition.

Last edited by Gianakin_; 02-18-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #293
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Let me look them up for you. But I must tell you, it was 2 non-thematic moments of John Carter that I was talking about. You also have to keep in mind that we're getting into subjective territory. What you find memorable and what you don't is limited to you, no matter how many will agree or disagree with your taste.

Having said that...
I hear ya. Music is very subjective. I realize that my opinions are my opinions and are not right or wrong. I'm just interested in other people's opinions about specific musical pieces that inspire them. Especially from giacchino. I know that with all of John Williams's scores I can reference about 5-10 moments that gave me goosebumps and I just hope that continues with whoever follows him after he retires. I just haven't felt inspired by Gia yet. I have by many other composers though which is why I'm hesitant to join the campaign to make him the new star wars composer. There are so many to choose from.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #294
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Updated my post with examples.

At this point I think you should brace yourself for getting underwhelmed, though. It's fun to discuss the possibilities, but now that JJ is on board, it's either Williams or/and(?) Gia.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #295
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Updated my post with examples.

At this point I think you should brace yourself for getting underwhelmed, though. It's fun to discuss the possibilities, but now that JJ is on board, it's either Williams or/and(?) Gia.
I really hope not. If JW scores the film I will definitely not be disappointed. With Gia scoring it Episode 7 will probably not feel like star wars.

Btw.. I checked out your links. Thanks for posting. Those were definitely some of the more memorable spots from lost and star trek. I do remember those moments in the both of them which backs up your point about non melodic memorable music. My issue with the lost cue is that it doesn't really go anywhere. Williams would take it to much further unexpected places in melodic development and especially harmonically. For a TV score it was fun though. ( they have crazy schedules on tv shows and usually the music isn't as deep). For the star trek score examples you posted I do remember those moments, but am bothered by him continually going back to the main theme. I don't hear those other two spots as new themes. Just more of an underscore until the main theme is presented again. In a Williams theme we get full development filled with modulations, counterpoint and variations on harmony and melody. You walk away knowing it was a theme and what it was for. Good thematic composing 101 in a nutshell.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #296
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It's not about hope, my friend. It's fact. It's between those 2. And expect that, even if JW comes back, he may not do all 3 movies.

Obviously I'm not music-savvy like you, but I can certainly tell you that Gia wasn't the same renditions of the themes in ST09 each time he reprised them. As for Lost, you said it yourself, it's TV.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #297
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's not about hope, my friend. It's fact. It's between those 2. And expect that, even if JW comes back, he may not do all 3 movies.

Obviously I'm not music-savvy like you, but I can certainly tell you that Gia wasn't the same renditions of the themes in ST09 each time he reprised them. As for Lost, you said it yourself, it's TV.
Well, I just hope they at least let JW do the first one on his own and then we'll be having this debate again in a few years!

I respect your opinions on the Trek score. As you said these things are very subjective. I just enjoyed the goldsmith and Horner scores much more so I'm a bit iffy on the Gia one. Maybe the upcoming score will change my opinion though!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #298
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Ugh, I hate Horner's work on ST. I do enjoy Goldsmith's, though.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #299
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ugh, I hate Horner's work on ST. I do enjoy Goldsmith's, though.
Horner basically created the cliche sound of sci fi films with his score to Wrath of Kahn. Granted it was pretty much the exact same score he did for Krull and Aliens?, but it was memorable. Great themes.

I'll check back in tomorrow! I'm looking forward to more giacchino music links from anyone too.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #300
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
I'm a huge fan of Williams and he's without a doubt my first choice for this but I think you are going a bit too far. If Star Wars is to go on indefinitely then there will be a time where Williams cannot score it. That's just the way it is. These new films being done by new people means there is room for a fresh interpretation to the music change up the pace. It's also entirely up to Williams himself. If he doesn't want to do it and would rather leave it to the next generation so-to-speak then they shouldn't try and coerce him into doing it.
No "fresh interpretation" is needed for the music...pretty much ever. They should just leave it alone after Williams. LEAVE STAR WARS ALONE!!! LEAVE IT ALOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

Quote:
As much as I want him to, Williams will probably not do all 3 movies. And don't kid yourself or us that you won't go see the Williams-less SW flicks.

IF ever there were a reason that would prevent me from seeing it, it would certainly be the absence of Williams and the fact that they got someone else to do the score. But don't worry, I'm sure disney won't be crying if they don't get my ten bucks and then 25 for the two disc edition of the dvd.