The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite of Nolans Batfilms?
Batman Begins 54 19.93%
The Dark Knight 115 42.44%
The Dark Knight Rises 102 37.64%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #51
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

I totally respect that choice Anno. I love the two prologues myself as pure shots of adrenaline, but the intro of Begins is very captivating. The first time you see it you're just wondering what the hell Bruce Wayne is doing in this prison and it instantly hooks you. I really love how the first scene with Ducard/Ra's sets the tone for not only the movie, but for the entire trilogy.

I also like how in every movie, Bruce has a key scene with the film's villain in a prison. What's funny is how in two of those instances, Bruce is the prisoner. And The Joker is completely in control even when he's the prisoner.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #52
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I totally respect that choice Anno. I love the two prologues myself as pure shots of adrenaline, but the intro of Begins is very captivating. The first time you see it you're just wondering what the hell Bruce Wayne is doing in this prison and it instantly hooks you. I really love how the first scene with Ducard/Ra's sets the tone for not only the movie, but for the entire trilogy.

I also like how in every movie, Bruce has a key scene with the film's villain in a prison. What's funny is how in two of those instances, Bruce is the prisoner. And The Joker is completely in control even when he's the prisoner.
Another good parallel, BatLobsterRises.

JackWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #53
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Allergies, I'm assuming? If so, mine don't start up until early summer, lol.

But yeah, I would have liked more of a reaction to Batman's initial return. I mean, him showing up is a pretty big deal, right? Then after he comes back, he disappears again just when Bane takes over Gotham. Kind of odd, indeed. Perhaps I missed something?

Definitely agree that Gordon should have had a Mea culpa of sorts. It's dealt with in the film, but it is extremely skimmed over for such a vital part of the Dent cover up plot. I think if you take out the bomb subplot, or at least it being a time-bomb; you could have added this type of stuff in.
Yah, most likely allergies. It's everytime I go outside to check my mail too...thinking someone has some weeds or flowers that ****s me up outside, haha.

And I think if given more time or given the bomb subplot less time, they could have done that idea with Selina and her straying away from Jen, but the ideas of giving the mayor a press conference about Batman that Gordon and Foley watches from the hospital and people throwing rotten food at Gordon...that could be a total of 20 seconds tops really and still fit in the run time of 2 hrs. and 45 mins. It's a shame as those two scenes would REALLY help the narrative more I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
"Can't they kill me before breakfast?"
It was pretty amazing to see that Bruce is in a prison halfway around the world from Gotham and really adds intrigue to the story of Bruce Wayne before he becomes Batman.

Quote:
Imo, one of the best intros of any CBM.

Quote:
Yah, that has been in my head ever since I saw TDKR with the idea of Bruce having conversations with the main villains for each film in a prison or prison-orientated place. And it shows how Joker is the greatest villain to Batman when he's the real one in control in that specific scene.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

Batman Begins - the most 'Batman' of them all, for me. He looked, acted and sounded like Batman, in my opinion. Gotham City felt like Gotham City, as well.

TheDevilIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #55
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

I have to give it to Batman Begins. It's the best comic book "origin story" ever put to film, has the most interesting theme (fear) and Liam Neeson (one of my favorite actors). TDK and TDKR are tied for 2nd and 3rd because for one TDK set the bar so high in terms of quality for a comic book film, but TDKR was such a good mix of both BB and TDK. Since I've gotten my TDKR BluRay a day hasn't gone by when I haven't watched it, it's really captivating, and I have a greater appreciation for it than I did when it was in theaters.

But for me, Batman Begins.

Dark Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #56
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Batman Begins. It captured the psychology behind Batman very well. I love origin stories when they are well-executed. There was plenty of Bruce Wayne in action pre-Batman which is something TDKR failed to do before Batman's first appearance by making him retired and frail (they instead gave the action beats to Bane, Selina, and Robin during this time).

BB had a sense of building momentum up to the third act where yes, it was fast-paced, some call it rushed but I like the way it feels. BB had one of my favorite Batman villains, Ra's al Ghul, and Liam Neeson had some of the most impactful scenes in the series, certainly in terms of number of scenes with them sharing a scene. I'm one of those who prefers Katie to Maggie but Maggie made for a better assistant DA Rachel Dawes than love-interest Rachel Dawes. Some of the way Batman is filmed and edited while fighting is unfortunate.

TDK was pretty great as well it just has some rougher edges or things I don't like... like Gordon's make-believe death. The ending was awesome. Heath Ledger gave a great performance of a villain that isn't high on my interest list at all. Two-Face has been criticized for being rushed in the movie, but I didn't feel that way, and after seeing TDKR, it looks all the better in TDK.

This is an admittedly rambling post, where I leave out a lot of reasons why TDKR is number #3, and the other two are better. Probably because I've explained this dozens of times in other posts by now.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #57
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It's funny, Batman Begins seems like the popular choice on the forum, yet it always trails by a fairly wide margin in the polls.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #58
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
It's funny, Batman Begins seems like the popular choice on the forum, yet it always trails by a fairly wide margin in the polls.
Funny how that works, lol.

JackWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #59
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

For me, it's clear that Begins is the weakest. In no way is it bad, still one of my all time favourite films, but it isn't as strong as TDK and TDKR to me. Between TDK and TDKR though, I can't decide on which is better.

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #60
Anno_Domini
Banned User

TDK and TDKR are tied, lol. This poll is somewhat what I'd expect too in seeing them being head to head in the poll with Batman Begins last.

If only Fudgie will see what's going on in this poll as someone who said TDKR would be so hated once it's released in DVD/Blu-ray, lol.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #61
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

TDKR for me. I love all three but I felt as films each one improved upon its predecessor.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
RustyCage
Come what may..

Rises still has too many flaws for me to rationally pick it, despite my sheer love for some of it's other elements. Selina/Bruce scenes ftw.

BB and TDK trade off things they did well or missed out on. I think TDK is more of a thriller, and BB is more heartfelt (and the only one that portrays Batman himself well, in my honest opinion). It depends on my mood, when choosing between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
I can't pick a film. However, I can pick:

Best Story: Batman Begins - I liked the journey Bruce went on before becoming batman. I liked how he was trained by the person that was behind the attacks on Gotham.

Best Villan - Pretty simple, the Joker. However, they could've made Scarecrow more bad ass and the hallucinations were weak. Bane was awesome and Liam Neesen was fantastic as Ra's Al Ghul. Two Face was'nt given enough screen time, but Aaron Eckhart made the most out out of it.

Best Action - The Dark Knight Rises.

Agree with all of that.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #63
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:

I think I love you.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #64
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
I think I love you.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #65
souvlaki
Side-Kick

1st act - Batman Begins

This may be the best first act of any superhero movie. My biggest complaint with this film is I've always felt like the movie dropped the ball after an extremely strong 1st and 2nd act.

2nd act - The Dark Knight

Absolutely flawless. Really everything from Commissioner Loeb's funeral to Harvey Dent becoming Two Face is just perfect.

3rd act - The Dark Knight Rises

Never agreed with the complaints about the end of this film. For me it had more emotional resonance than anything in any previous Nolan film.

Overall - Tie between TDK and TDKR

And if it weren't for Heath Ledger's performance I think TDKR would have had the edge.

souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #66
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Still TDK. A masterpiece.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #67
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

I keep hearing people on the internet talk about how 'divisive' TDKR supposedly is. I've even seen 'Avengers' fans at IMDB say that nobody outside of a few fanboys liked TDKR and that the consensus is that it was terrible.

Every poll seems to point to a consensus, though.

I still voted 'Begins'.

TheDevilIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #68
The Batman
The Dark Knight

First Act: Batman Begins, easily. The first time we get Bruce Wayneís full origin in any media version of Batman, and its near perfect.

Second Act: The Dark Knight in another no brainer. From Joker killing people to Rachelís death, TDK has the best middle act for sure.

Third Act: The Dark Knight again. The Prewitt scene is ace, and so is the final sequence between Bruce/Gordon/Dent.

Intro: For now Iíd have to go with TDKR, just because of how exciting the entire sequence was. But I honestly might go with BB, because its the only time in the trilogy that the movie actually started with who is supposed to be the main character.

Ending: The Dark Knight, no question. Sums up why Batman is such a great character. Batman Begins is second, and I was too disappointed by certain aspects of TDKRís ending to rank it anything above last.

Overall, I oscilate between BB and TDK. What I love about Begins is that itís the only time in Nolanís trilogy where his Batman seems truly extraordinary. Someone said that the villains took a backseat to Bruce in this franchise, but BB is the only time where I felt that was completely true, especially in regards to Batman facing off against the villains. In Batman Begins, we have a Batman that seems more in control in regards to taking on threats. In TDK, Joker was ahead of him most of the time, and in TDKR Batman never got a truly satisfying victory over Bane. With BB, Nolan came closer to portraying the comic book badassness of the character than he would in subsequent films.

In regards to TDK, while I love Begins for comic book-ness, TDK is just an excellent film, the only one in the trilogy that deserved a Best Picture and Best Director nod at the Oscars. Bale, Eckhart, and Oldman remain underrated for their performances.

TDKR is still last for me.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #69
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilIsMe View Post
I keep hearing people on the internet talk about how 'divisive' TDKR supposedly is. I've even seen 'Avengers' fans at IMDB say that nobody outside of a few fanboys liked TDKR and that the consensus is that it was terrible.
That 92% audience rating on RT must be only fanboys then, lol.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #70
cryptic name
No Limits

Begins is my favorite of the 3 with TDK and Rises pretty much tied for a close second.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #71
serb7
Side-Kick

The fact that TDKR has this many votes on a fan site almost a year after release goes to show it isn't as much of a failure as the nerds make it out to be.. Definitely a worthy sequel to TDK

serb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #72
Anno_Domini
Banned User

"the nerds"?

That's a great way to make friends on a forums site

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #73
batfreakforever
A real fan

I'm a massive Batman fan so I can never decide what film is my favorite. First I enjoy the hype, then first see the film the best way I can (Imax), watch it as many times at the movies, mainly at a normal cinema because Imax is a long drive then when it stops at the cinema I read all the books about the film (The novel, making of books, the art of the movie etc) then watch countless interviews with cast & crew. Then get the biggest or ''best'' bluray edition (The broken cowl edition) plus a standard dvd edition so I can also experience the film is SD to see how I feel compairing it to the bluray edition. Plus if there was a game I'd get that too. I also read the comics or GN's that the story was inspired by. See I exprience the story from all angles so when I watch the film I can never really question the story because I know whats going on, why things happen, what the point of things are, the goals of the film-makers etc. Then when another movie comes along it starts all over again. Sorry people about the post I'm on my phone.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #74
batfreakforever
A real fan

So to the OP, I can't choose because I get so engulfed in the film/story at the time. Plus if the film is part 2 or 3 I watch the previous movies again when I bring home the new one. Plus I understand that each movie has different goals, villians, journeys for the characters, plot threads, action, settings. See BB is the origin of Batman/Bruce Wayne, TDK is a continuation of his story from BB and TDKR is an end to the storys that started in BB and continued in TDK. They can be stand alone storys with BB and TDK as With BB the story is in the title Batman ''begins''. TDK is pretty easy to understand if you have'nt watched BB but The Dark Knight Rises was promoted as The ''end'' of the journey. So anyone smart enough would see that there would have to be a start to the journey and do the research and see BB is the start and TDK is the next after that. But with TDKR you ''should'' watch the first two before watching it to really understand everything properly. But yeah I simply don't choose because of the reasons I have stated above.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #75
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Still TDK