The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #751
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Default Re: Characters you'd like to see in future Avengers movies?

I don't think Scarlet Witch is likely, first off because I hate her, and secondly because of her links to the X-Men franchise, which is still in the hands of FOX. Ms. Marvel is a possibility, but she's still a bit of a C-lister for a movie. Keep in mind that out of the fifty million or so people who are going to see this, only about, and this is being generous, one million will know who Ms. Marvel is, and of that, only about, again being generous, fifty thousand will know about the history of the character.

Last edited by I'm Venom; 02-18-2013 at 02:10 PM.
I'm Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #752
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Venom View Post
I don't think Scarlet Witch is likely, first off because I hate her, and secondly because of her links to the X-Men franchise, which is still in the hands of FOX. Ms. Marvel is a possibility, but she's still a bit of a C-lister for a movie.
I guess you're the one making decisions at Marvel.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #753
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven
I guess you're the one making decisions at Marvel.
Great job!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #754
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
I don't think Scarlet Witch is likely, first off because I hate her, and secondly because of her links to the X-Men franchise, which is still in the hands of FOX.
The irony of you typing this sentence out is almost overwhelming

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #755
Terror Inc.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I was gonna say the same thing, but I knew someone else would cover it.

Terror Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #756
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I was left staring at my laptop in disbelief at that comment

Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #757
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I would rather see a Scarlet Witch movie than a Doctor Strange movie

Yeah, I said it

I agree, but I'd go even further. I would rather see a Scarlet Witch movie than a Ms./Captain Marvel movie and I would rather add Wanda to The Avengers than Danvers, too. Wanda is far more interesting as a character, her powers are also unique and she has ties to many important stories and characters in Avengers history. She is one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe, whose potential is only limited by the writer's imagination. Not showcasing the Scarlet Witch -- or worse, allowing Fox to ruin her -- would be a waste.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #758
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

I can easily see how a Ms (Captain) Marvel movie would work, but how would a Scarlet Witch movie work? I don't know a whole lot about her, but from what I know almost everything interesting she's done has been with the Avengers.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #759
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Fox owns Magneto, *not* Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Kevin Feige was directly questioned about the status of Wanda & Pietro last year during an interview, and he said that they have a special status. Both can be used in X-Men movies as mutants who are the children of Magneto, but can have no reference to the Avengers or its storylines; *and* Marvel Studios has the rights to use them as Avengers, but without reference to mutants or their Magneto lineage.

So according to Feige, it is entirely possible that, at some point, we wind up with two very different versions of Wanda and Pietro from BOTH studios.
If this is the case then my idea isn't needed. This would be great.
I knew she wasn't in any other movies yet, but Quicksilver and Magneto were, and the concept of Mutants. So I figured with the way studios do movie rights that they wouldn't be able to do Scarlet Witch, but if it is possible they really need to.
Add her to my list of Avengers I want to see.

What about the Beast then? He too is an Avenger and an X-Men. Does he have the same status then? And can they use the concept of Mutants?

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #760
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I can easily see how a Ms (Captain) Marvel movie would work, but how would a Scarlet Witch movie work? I don't know a whole lot about her, but from what I know almost everything interesting she's done has been with the Avengers.
She's got a bunch of wacky origin stuff that could be pulled from and built into a cohesive whole, in the same way they're apparently lifting some of the really obscure Star-Lord origin stuff and building the Guardians film out of that

Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #761
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I think one of the keys to Wanda in the Avengers is to tie her into Vision's storyline, so I'd wait until Ultron and Vision have shown up before I'd devote any solo movie to her. You'd have to make some alterations to the storyline --- you could still do Wundagore and the High Evolutionary, but no Magneto, of course. And Agatha Harkness as her mentor would be out the window, since Fox needs her for both the FF *and* X-Men. Instead, I'd probably shoot for Dr. Strange taking her under his wing, and go ahead and make her a true "witch" instead of giving her a mutant power over probability and "hexes."

So I'd place her movie, if she gets a solo, after both Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have come out, and after Vision joins the Avengers. Probably closer to Phase IV than Phase III, unfortunately.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #762
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy
It's Scarlet Witch, not Marvel's flagship character. You must feel so clever.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #763
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Scarlet Witch has been the center of many Marvel stories recenty. House of M, Avengers Dissassembled, Children's Crusade, and others. Now she is in Uncanny Avengers.

Quote:
I think one of the keys to Wanda in the Avengers is to tie her into Vision's storyline, so I'd wait until Ultron and Vision have shown up before I'd devote any solo movie to her. You'd have to make some alterations to the storyline --- you could still do Wundagore and the High Evolutionary, but no Magneto, of course. And Agatha Harkness as her mentor would be out the window, since Fox needs her for both the FF *and* X-Men. Instead, I'd probably shoot for Dr. Strange taking her under his wing, and go ahead and make her a true "witch" instead of giving her a mutant power over probability and "hexes."

So I'd place her movie, if she gets a solo, after both Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have come out, and after Vision joins the Avengers. Probably closer to Phase IV than Phase III, unfortunately.
I would first make a whole movie centered around Hank Pym finishing his Ultron AI creation, leading to Ultron's attack on the Avengers (which Scarlet Witch could be in already) and Ultron's creation of Vision, who turns on Ultron and joins the Avengers in the end. Then use the solo movie about her to focus on her and the Vision's relationship. And in follow up Avengers sequels that the Vision and Wanda would be in show them together as a couple. Her father wouldn't really need to be focused on, just a mystery person who had ties to terrorism perhaps.

Last edited by Artistsean; 02-18-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #764
Chewy
REDACTED

I think structuring it so that Wanda's story revolved around Vision would be a mistake, it should almost be the other way around.

Between her abandonment, gypsy upbringing, ties into magic and the demon stuff there's plenty to pull from without Vision in the picture (yet)

*not that a Scarlet Witch movie will actually happen

Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #765
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I am just saying that the Vision needs to be introduced as part of the Avengers vs. Ultron movie story. And then after that he is an Avenger. And in my mind the movie would star the two of them together, not him over her or her over him. But both, top billing. So maybe giving her a solo movie before the Ultron story would be good.
But I think he and her could make a good love/romance movie. You know how superhero movies usually have some love story in it. This could be a romance movie featuring superheroes. And maybe because a solo Scarlet Witch film might not happen is a good reason to wait till the Ulton/Vision characters are brought in and make the solo movie about him and her.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #766
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
It's Scarlet Witch, not Marvel's flagship character. You must feel so clever.

That whizzing sound you heard was the point going right over your head.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #767
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000
That whizzing sound you heard was the point going right over your head.
Just when I think this thread can't get any better...

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #768
Mr. Dent
Banned User

What would Marvel Studios gain by bringing in Wanda and especially Pietro? Without her mutant linage Wanda's character is missing a big chunk of itself and Pietro is just a non-factor all together.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #769
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I agree, but I'd go even further. I would rather see a Scarlet Witch movie than a Ms./Captain Marvel movie and I would rather add Wanda to The Avengers than Danvers, too. Wanda is far more interesting as a character, her powers are also unique and she has ties to many important stories and characters in Avengers history. She is one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe, whose potential is only limited by the writer's imagination. Not showcasing the Scarlet Witch -- or worse, allowing Fox to ruin her -- would be a waste.
now THIS I can agree with!
But instead of a Strange movie? That's madness!

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #770
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
I don't think Scarlet Witch is likely because of her links to the X-Men franchise, which is still in the hands of FOX.

oh that irony

ZWERG/ELF

Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #771
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
What would Marvel Studios gain by bringing in Wanda and especially Pietro? Without her mutant linage Wanda's character is missing a big chunk of itself and Pietro is just a non-factor all together.
that chunk is not that big as you might think and can easily substituted by making her either Inhuman or Eternal or whatever in heritage. No, fanboys won't like that change (at first) but it doesn't really change anything about the character itself, just gives other explanations for her powers. Is the Magneto angle needed? Not really. That came late in the game. SW worked well for decades before she became retconned into Magnetos daughter.
And MS would 'gain' another female Avenger that was one of the earliest team members and one of the longest team members in Avengers history...before Bendis messed her up

ZWERG/ELF

Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #772
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
If this is the case then my idea isn't needed. This would be great.
I knew she wasn't in any other movies yet, but Quicksilver and Magneto were, and the concept of Mutants. So I figured with the way studios do movie rights that they wouldn't be able to do Scarlet Witch, but if it is possible they really need to.
Add her to my list of Avengers I want to see.

What about the Beast then? He too is an Avenger and an X-Men. Does he have the same status then? And can they use the concept of Mutants?
Marvel Studios definitely can't use mutants; not even the term.
There may be other characters on the studio "blacklist" that can go either-or like Wanda & Pietro; not sure if Beast is one of them, but it's a good question. I'd say Fox probably has exclusivity on him, but there's always hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Pietro is Marvel's Flash. And Wanda would most likely be sold to general audiences as a true witch per her namesake, instead of explaining her ability as some weird combination of genetic mutation and mathematical probability. So if the Avengers bring them aboard, you've got a resident speedster and magic-user with a lot of firepower, and that means a ton of special fx to make everyone ooh and aah. They're bankable. Plus, maybe you can generate some European interest by featuring a couple of European (non-Americanized, 'Tasha) superheroes.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #773
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
that chunk is not that big as you might think and can easily substituted by making her either Inhuman or Eternal or whatever in heritage. No, fanboys won't like that change (at first) but it doesn't really change anything about the character itself, just gives other explanations for her powers. Is the Magneto angle needed? Not really. That came late in the game. SW worked well for decades before she became retconned into Magnetos daughter.
And MS would 'gain' another female Avenger that was one of the earliest team members and one of the longest team members in Avengers history...before Bendis messed her up
Okay when you put it that way I guess I can see how it could work. I forgot she was only a villain for about 4 issues and wasn't originally Magneto's daughter. Still, it would just feel weird for them to be Inhumans or aliens in the MCU, although you're right that it can work like that. She could even be a product of Dr. Strange if they want.

Quote:
Pietro is Marvel's Flash. And Wanda would most likely be sold to general audiences as a true witch per her namesake, instead of explaining her ability as some weird combination of genetic mutation and mathematical probability. So if the Avengers bring them aboard, you've got a resident speedster and magic-user with a lot of firepower, and that means a ton of special fx to make everyone ooh and aah. They're bankable. Plus, maybe you can generate some European interest by featuring a couple of European (non-Americanized, 'Tasha) superheroes.
Yeah I guess it does give them another female character with cool powers but the reason I was saying she wouldn't add anything is because her big plot points in the comics all involve destroying mutants besides marrying Vision and disassembling the Avengers.

Maybe Marvel could work the Inhumans into being the mutants of the MCU if they can't work out a deal with Fox?

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #774
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus

oh that irony
There's more to this issue than that. It's hard for you to see past that because you're just trolling right now, so your comment about irony is baseless.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #775
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
There's more to this issue than that. It's hard for you to see past that because you're just trolling right now, so your comment about irony is baseless.
please enlighten me.

ZWERG/ELF